• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is one low tier character...

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
...that you just simply hate playing against, or match up terribly against?

For me it's Samus. I don't know why, but I constantly get bodied by Samus. It's probably a big mental thing because I feel uncomfortable and under confident in the MU, especially when she starts to camp with her neutral B. And like playing against any low tier character, I feel more under pressure to win.

I'm sure some of you hate playing certain low tier characters. I couldn't be the only one, do you guys have similar feelings?

LastTheories

Smash Rookie
I did at one point hate facing low tier characters because I've never really seen them play and so I got bodied because of that. I think with more experience the matchup will become easier overall. Giving yourself extra pressure won't help, just try treating the character like any other. Every character has habits to exploit.
Wth Samus specifically two things that helped me is that, if you have the percentage or stock lead camping doesn't do jack for samus. Out camp her. Also if the samus rolls a lot, Samus can grab within one roll range of herself. So for example if you and samus are at close range and she rolls ONCE she can grab you, so keep moving.

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
please don't hate me

but, i hate most Samus mains, they are #%@# camping pieces of #$%#$% #$%##%^#^@$^@$%@^@#$%@^@#$%&^@#^#@$. You get the message. Most Samus mains suck, and i hate them, because they have no skill and decide to camp in a (sort of) fighting game. I use charge shot only to finish combos.

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
I did at one point hate facing low tier characters because I've never really seen them play and so I got bodied because of that. I think with more experience the matchup will become easier overall. Giving yourself extra pressure won't help, just try treating the character like any other. Every character has habits to exploit.
Wth Samus specifically two things that helped me is that, if you have the percentage or stock lead camping doesn't do jack for samus. Out camp her. Also if the samus rolls a lot, Samus can grab within one roll range of herself. So for example if you and samus are at close range and she rolls ONCE she can grab you, so keep moving.
True, I have noticed her rolls are fairly slow and exploitable, and her grab after roll is particularly annoying since it doesn't have as much end lag as ZSS to really punish. Out camping her doesn't really work because she'll spam her other projectiles before tricking me and using her charged neutral B, which I then feel obligated to deflect but the input lag of my deflect move makes it difficult to time where I find myself guessing. The best strategy I've found against her is to not give her any breathing room at all, and just stay up to her the whole game. Samus likes space to camp, if you stay directly up to her it helps.

I think for a lot of low tier characters it's not the unfamiliarity that beats me, it's myself. Like when I play Ganon, the end lag on his moves are so severe I feel like I have to do more than the usual punish, and I start overthinking it.

Also lol at the Samus player above. I don't hate all of you guys, man. But I appreciate the honesty.

usui

Smash Rookie

For me it's Fox. I don't know why, but I constantly get bodied by Samus. It's probably a big mental thing because I feel uncomfortable and under confident in the MU, especially when she starts to camp with his neutral B. And like playing against any high tier character, I feel more under pressure to win.

I'm sure some of you hate playing certain high tier characters. I couldn't be the only one, do you guys have similar feelings?

Last edited:

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
I'm not the best but I don't do well against one friend of mine when he picks ike. I think it's mostly cause i underestimate his range and power of his airiels

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
please don't hate me

but, i hate most Samus mains, they are #%@# camping pieces of #$%#$% #$%##%^#^@$^@$%@^@#$%@^@#$%&^@#^#@$. You get the message. Most Samus mains suck, and i hate them, because they have no skill and decide to camp in a (sort of) fighting game. I use charge shot only to finish combos.
Have fun running into my claws and mouth! :4charizard:

A low tier character I hate fighting is little mac.

Have to play extremely patient to not get caught up in something drastic, and especially since his juggling game is disgusting against slow air speed people. Very 'on and 'off style of playing that kills dynamicism and I hate that.

FINNTHEGREAT

Smash Rookie
NNID
FINNTHEGREAT
Switch FC
SW 0590 7208 0815
King Dedede players in smash 4 are definitely annoying to play with. IMO people spamming gordos gets annoying and then whenever I get bodied, people throw down the down taunt. Even though he is F tier, I cannot stand nor even beat Dedede players.

DCellZ

Smash Rookie
Yoshi. Though he isn't exactly low-tier, his stupid air speed and deceptive disjoints always get me.

Actem

Smash Rookie
Toon Link, not exactly low tier, but close enough.

The camping, the projectiles, the aerials, I just can't figure out how to beat 'em. Usually I beat my brother consistently, but then he switches to Toon Link. :mad:

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't like fighting Little Mac, because of the super armor he has on his smash attacks. When his KO Punch becomes active, all he needs are a few hits in and then go for the KO Punch. I get you can just throw Little Mac off stage, but if the player is good, then it isn't that simple. I also hate fighting King Dedede. This is because I don't have very much experience against him, so I don't know how to deal with him, despite him being combo food.

link2702

Smash Champion
Ddd, Kirby and bowser jr

As my falcon, I really detest ddd when he gets me on a ledge. Setups with gordo toss always get me. Though when I play ganon, ironically enough the matchup against ddd isn’t nearly as frustrating.

Bowser jr....everything about bowser jr...

Kirby his down throw shenanigans and aerials in general. with falcon as a fastfaller, Kirby can get some stupid combos at mid to low % on falcon that don’t work on many others.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
Dr Mario.
Props to hardcore Dr Mario mains, but whenever I am up against them, they are as much, if not better, than Mario mains. Good spacing and baits with pills, and hard hits.
I Hate them, but respect them.

Last edited:

IVgorm

Smash Rookie
Dark Pit

Why? DAT ****ING SIDE-B

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprite

Smash Cadet
If you could call Faldo a low tier in smash 4 then I'd say him. Personally I think fighting him is boring

Sylenzo

Smash Rookie
Samus main lol I get loads of hate but idec I personally hate DDD for same reasons as above

Eekum_bokum

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit

Why? DAT ****ING SIDE-B

Sorry dude, but hey I'm not a side B spammer like I used to be. However I've closed out most of my bracket wins through side B so it's the perfect finishing touch. Or sometimes a complete gamble but hey it is what it is.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Little Mac, easy. His ground game and punishes are just too strong for me to handle, no matter how bad the other player is (doesn't help that offstage is so ungodly safe in this game, thus mitigating his main weakness). The matchup is so bad for me that I usually just default to R.O.B. and mindlessly lob projectiles the whole match rather than actually playing the matchup. It's far from fun, but hey, that's Little Mac for me.

DoJ

Smash Rookie

For me it's Samus. I don't know why, but I constantly get bodied by Samus. It's probably a big mental thing because I feel uncomfortable and under confident in the MU, especially when she starts to camp with her neutral B. And like playing against any low tier character, I feel more under pressure to win.

I'm sure some of you hate playing certain low tier characters. I couldn't be the only one, do you guys have similar feelings?
I usually play at low-tier tournaments, so I do have a bit of experience with them, but I definitely agree that regardless of tier placement, some characters do have an intimidation factor to them.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Link with all his long-range projectiles, but that is one of the main contenders for most powerful in my schools Smash Club, outside of spammy Clouds and Bayonetta, but not for long. Because that place will soon belong to me due to me learning how to edge guard and adapt to enemy strategies. Shouldn't be that hard for me, being one of the best people in my school's Smash Club, in general, and Fundamental wise. Soon I'll be number 1.

All I need to adapt to is, shielding and punishing Sonic's dash attack, Cloud's side B, Links Projectiles, Kirby's Down-B, Charizard's side B and Bayonetta.

And I need to practice my edge guarding, combos and remembering that roll in, spot dodge, down tilt and down smash exist in the middle of battle. Then I will truly be the best in my school with my Pikachu, Lucina, Yoshi, Roy, Kirby, Olimar and Falco reigning supreme over all.

Last edited:

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I have to go with Little Mac. I live close to a few Little Macs and the way they play is... interesting to say the least.

Crucible

Smash Apprentice
NNID
4evrsmash
Samus is "low tier" (lol) but consistently gives me trouble. Great survivability coupled with big early combos and solid kill options.

Also projectiles

Helios980

Smash Rookie
For some reason, I have trouble dealing with some Ganondorfs. Idk why.

Edit: never mind, that was just one especially good Ganondorf.

Last edited:

TheWill44

Smash Apprentice

For me it's Fox. I don't know why, but I constantly get bodied by Samus. It's probably a big mental thing because I feel uncomfortable and under confident in the MU, especially when she starts to camp with his neutral B. And like playing against any high tier character, I feel more under pressure to win.

I'm sure some of you hate playing certain high tier characters. I couldn't be the only one, do you guys have similar feelings?
You do realize Fox is top tier? Right?

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Dr Mario.
Props to hardcore Dr Mario mains, but whenever I am up against them, they are as much, if not better, than Mario mains. Good spacing and baits with pills, and hard hits.
I Hate them, but respect them.
Same. I somehow lost to a Doc online as Marth, who should theoretically win that matchup 70-30. All Doctors are too good.

Alpha Princess

Smash Rookie
Well last time I remember facing a low tier it was Samus, and Samus gave me some trouble. Of course not so much anymore, but she use too. She's probably the best of the low tiers in my opinion.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Same. I somehow lost to a Doc online as Marth, who should theoretically win that matchup 70-30. All Doctors are too good.
At the highest level

This is a misunderstanding of MUs and tiers. It’s always tailored to a level of play way beyond us.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I hate fighting Kirby so much... his escape options begin very early, but he dies late. And fair to dair seems to be a 50-50 at the ledge.

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
Would have to be Ganondorf. Like dude stop grabbing me, STRANGER DANGER

Empoleon_master

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7076-2637
For some reason, I have trouble dealing with some Ganondorfs. Idk why.
I used to know a Gannondorf main IRL, and I will say this, his punishment game is amazing. He requires you to be able to read every single freaking move your opponent makes, then you will punish them and deal a stupid amount of damage to them. The reading that my friend did as Gannondorf is beyond my comprehension, but if you are somehow able to ascend to that higher plane of reading your opponent THAT WELL, then he can freaking wreck you in under a minute.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Whoever designed Little Mac should be fired. Unlimited super armor on all smash attacks, extreme movement speed, comeback mechanic that kills you at 20%...

The only reasonable way to approach Little Mac is to not approach Little Mac. More often than not I find myself camping at the ledge trying to throw him offstage, and that’s a whole lot of fun. /s

Last edited:

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
Little Mac. Idk I just struggle bad against him lol. I would rather fight Cloud players all day instead of people who can play good with Mac.

Chase_Doggie

Smash Rookie
Wario.

One day, I was playing For Glory, and the guy just kept on spamming Wario Bike. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but he kept on changing his speed and would randomly jump off it and all that stuff, so I had no idea what he'd do. Since then, I haven't fought a single Wario who doesn't do that.

Oh, and the Waft.

Top Bottom