• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Luigi's hardest match-up in the Top 8?

What is Luigi's hardest match-up in the Top 8?

• Total voters

Pluid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pluiid
3DS FC
1435-4675-5379
My Luigi's not great but I find it very difficult to get in on a Marth, and spaceys are really rough as well (Mostly Fox).

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I hate Marth with a passion, but Sheik and the spacies are pretty annoying too. That sword is just too hard to get past. Sheik is similar with his/her long limbs. The one nice thing about Fox is that he can't waveshine you, but other than that the spacies are just free to go ham on you like they do in most matchups

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
I feel like probably Marth or Fox, given no-one plays sheik much on PAL. Marth is just so stupidly annoying with the spacing he can put down. It's more about faking out the player because it's really hard to get in against a good marth. Fox mostly because he can gimp you so easily, and if you aren't playing up to speed with him he'll just out-mind game you and force you into a position where you get gimped. Mostly my problem because I'm not that good with Wee-gee.

Hulka

Smash Cadet
Once you figure out how to fight Marth, the match up isn't HORRIBLE, but it's still pretty bad. Luigi can WDOOS from Marth's f smash and get a grab or even up b, and Luigi can gimp Marth well. Luigi has good anti pressure game against Falco, so that match up isn't the worst. then theres sheik, which is bad for luigi, but he can still win, being able to punish sheiks recovery well. fox is another story though, because when luigi is falling (with or with out nair) fox can run up, upsmash. his shine can also force luigi to the ledge, and can control him with it, as well as getting free spikes with it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
rofl's guide is good for basic stuff but sorta outdated. The neutral game is tough vs marth. I'd say at high level Fox is the hardest but that seems like a go-to answer for almost any character. I say marth because the neutral game is slightly more difficult than with sheik imo.

Vist

Smash Champion
I think Sheik is definitely the hardest in general. IMO Sheik really doesn't have to do much to make this match-up really difficult for Luigi. Luckily, not many sheiks have experience in the match-up..

Fox and to a lesser extent Falco can be really tough as well but it takes a really high level player or someone really familiar with fighting Luigis to make the match-up feel overly difficult

Edit:

Also, I think the Marth match-up is pretty doable but does take some getting used to like BluEG said. I've only played good marths a couple times in the past year or so but I've had some decent success even against players like m2k and I'm not even that good or consistent these days (I won some random 1-game friendly vs his marth maybe about a year or less ago yet still lost to his shiek / fd marth combo in tourney around same time tho). I also had a decent set vs the Moon recently in case anyone feels like watching that: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XeJBa6OpcI

And here's one of the two sets where Eddy and PPU faced off at this year's evo: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ROdPec6kw.

Last edited:

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I think Sheik is definitely the hardest in general. IMO Sheik really doesn't have to do much to make this match-up really difficult for Luigi. Luckily, not many sheiks have experience in the match-up..

Fox and to a lesser extent Falco can be really tough as well but it takes a really high level player or someone really familiar with fighting Luigis to make the match-up feel overly difficult
This. Pretty much.

If a Falco/Fox knows the match up very well it can become close to impossible. Porkchops (Top falco in Florida) plays with Blea extensively and he basically shuts down Luigi to the point where I think if played correctly Falco Luigi is something like 70/30 at high level play.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Clay/blea sort of go back and forth.... pretty sure blea has a winning record vs him (no pun intended with "vs" lol)

Kude

Smash Rookie
marth, the sheik, then fox, then falco, then puff, then icies, then peach, then falcon is by far his easiet matchup of the top 8.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
IMO:

Sheik is definite hardest. She just shuts everything Luigi does down.
Falco is second hardest. He can body Falco but Falco can still do Falco things to Luigi.
Fox is third hardest. He's got some set-ups on Luigi but Luigi gives him a hard time.
Marth is 4th hardest. This matchup is do-able but you have to learn it to do well, and it takes a while for up-and-coming Luigis to figure it out.
Falcon is 5th hardest. You can hurt him so badly, but he can still do Falcon things to you.
Jiggs is 6th hardest. I'd dare to say this matchup is almost even -- you can actually combo her, and you can kill her pretty easily.
Peach is 7th hardest. You can combo/kill her like Jiggs (easier combo harder kill) but she has a bit more trouble walling you out imo.
ICs are the 8th hardest. You're one of IC's "weird" matchups. You can split them up pretty easily and you decimate solo-climbers quickly/efficiently/strongly.

Bonus:
Young Link and Pikachu are kinda difficult, but more so Young Link.

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
I think peach is 4th hardest, but other than that, the list you just posted is pretty much perfect IMO

Top Bottom