• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is Jiggly's up throw good for?

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
I'm curious if any Jigglypuff players out there can come up with an actual use for her up throw. I've been able to find applications for every throw in the game no matter how niche with the sole exception of Jigglypuff's up throw. I've spent more time than I care to admit testing it and it's kind of an anomaly how bad this throw is. For one, it deals less damage than down throw, making it an inferior option for setting up juggles. It also has too much BKB to set up a tech chase on Battlefield, yet too little KBG to ever kill, even on the top platform of the same stage. It's not even good in the Rosalina matchup to separate her from Luma since she has enough frame advantage to hit Jigglypuff with Luma's up air before the former can get a move out (with the exception of Rest, which is a terrible move to hit Luma with for obvious reasons). Is this the only throw in the game that's 100% useless? Please let me know if you can think of anything, even if it's entirely conceptual.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Throw opponent onto a platform at low percents and tech chase.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
It’s good if you need to change positioning quickly in doubles, or if you just need a quick throw. I’ve used it against snake/links/banjo holding explosives so I can throw them as high as possible, and then they die to their own item high up.

Tbf, I’ve also killed with it in smash 4 when Halberd was still legal LOL

It’s mostly only useful if you need a quick option, or to put them as high as possible for doubles/item kill combos

Luigi Linguine

Smash Cadet
It’s good if you need to change positioning quickly in doubles, or if you just need a quick throw. I’ve used it against snake/links/banjo holding explosives so I can throw them as high as possible, and then they die to their own item high up.

Tbf, I’ve also killed with it in smash 4 when Halberd was still legal LOL

It’s mostly only useful if you need a quick option, or to put them as high as possible for doubles/item kill combos
Hey, that's something! I was hoping for an answer like this instead of just "lol nope, worthless throw". Thanks!

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
I tend to only find it useful against specific characters that have really predictable vertical landing options.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I guess if you’ve somehow staled all of your other throws and you really want that optimal damage, you could go for up throw. Or maybe if you’re trolling and aren’t taking the match seriously. Other than that? Don’t use it.

TurboPikachu

Wall of Pain
NNID
HyperChu
3DS FC
3394-3547-7986
None of Puff's throws combo into anything whatsoever, nor provide her significant opportunities in singles, except for forward/back throw off the ledge to potentially edgeguard. In 1v1, down throw is just for the sake of its own damage, and up throw is an option to potentially gain stage control (which puff isn't equipped to maintain anyways) or to, during a losing fight, grant herself a precious second or two away from harm.

Ultimately up throw is the last throw to consider in 1v1s as the other 3 are better in basically every way. As mentioned by others in this thread though, while up throw fails to kill by itself in upwards of 200% it does have a very respectable base knockback and can easily set up for a partner to get an early kill-confirm up air in doubles.

CitrusJigglypuff

Smash Rookie
Use Back Throw if the ledge is behind you, Forward throw if you're near the ledge, and Down Throw in any other situation. The only times that Up throw is good would be in Doubles or vs Smash Art Shulk. It's not very good.

Top Bottom