• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

what is gained from playing mario

playpat3

Smash Rookie
mario mains.. after months of Ultimate being out. how do you feel playing mario..

no disjoint, no fancy gimics, not a single move set that in my eyes can be considered “cheap”, a lackluster Up,B, no smash attacks that kill at insane low percents, etc, etc.

just a well rounded, easy to play-harder to master character. a lot of times the odds seem stacked against him. but he plays so smooth i can never see myself dropping him. i always here commentators saying that mario mains are fundamentally sound players because they have to be. do you agree? and your thoughts on the topic.

D

Deleted member

He's a character I'd never drop myself. Feel the same way about Link and King K. Rool The well balanced skill set, easy to control moves and great smash and combo attacks make him perfect.

My thoughts I think he's great and yes you're right he's hard to master.

But he's an amazing character and putting in the time and effort for him is worth it.

Rick-Woomy!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
7643-3959-7772
mario mains.. after months of Ultimate being out. how do you feel playing mario..

no disjoint, no fancy gimics, not a single move set that in my eyes can be considered “cheap”, a lackluster Up,B, no smash attacks that kill at insane low percents, etc, etc.

just a well rounded, easy to play-harder to master character. a lot of times the odds seem stacked against him. but he plays so smooth i can never see myself dropping him. i always here commentators saying that mario mains are fundamentally sound players because they have to be. do you agree? and your thoughts on the topic.
Not a Mario main, but I sometimes like to play madio because he’s my favorite video game character of all time. He’s high tier, probably lower in B tier, is a versatile, all around fighter with high damage combos and great match-ups (Ike, Ganondorf, etc.) his lack of range and trouble approaching are disadvantages, and I guess his disadvantage state isn’t the best, although his advantage state can def make up for it imo. I like Mario, maybe he could use some small buffs (like to buff his vertical recovery for example), but otherwise he’s probably in a good, at least decent spot rn.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pretty cool to hear everyone's reasons for playing him. Really awesome.

playpat3

Smash Rookie
He's a character I'd never drop myself. Feel the same way about Link and King K. Rool The well balanced skill set, easy to control moves and great smash and combo attacks make him perfect.

My thoughts I think he's great and yes you're right he's hard to master.

But he's an amazing character and putting in the time and effort for him is worth it.
agree with those two characters also.. link especially because of the strategy involved with playing him!

playpat3

Smash Rookie
Not a Mario main, but I sometimes like to play madio because he’s my favorite video game character of all time. He’s high tier, probably lower in B tier, is a versatile, all around fighter with high damage combos and great match-ups (Ike, Ganondorf, etc.) his lack of range and trouble approaching are disadvantages, and I guess his disadvantage state isn’t the best, although his advantage state can def make up for it imo. I like Mario, maybe he could use some small buffs (like to buff his vertical recovery for example), but otherwise he’s probably in a good, at least decent spot rn.
same with me, he is my all time favorite video game character.. so my allegiance is also with him in that respect also hahah

D

Deleted member

It's the same with me another reason why I picked him up and started playing him.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
His Up B is considered lack luster? Seems strange to me.

Serves as a decent recovery (don't understand why some seem to think that his recovery is bad), it's a good out of shield option and organically flows into his ladder combos for good damage or as a finisher to the top blast zone.

playpat3

Smash Rookie
His Up B is considered lack luster? Seems strange to me.

Serves as a decent recovery (don't understand why some seem to think that his recovery is bad), it's a good out of shield option and organically flows into his ladder combos for good damage or as a finisher to the top blast zone.
i just seen this.. your right it is a strong move and really great to finish combos and get ladder combo kills. but as far as recovery i feel like it makes him gimp-able as compared to other characters recoveries. maybe thats a nit-pick then.

GhostM

Phantom
I myself am not a Mario main, but playing him from time to time feels nice because he’s one of the first characters that I played in Smash. Well, technically Mario was the first character I played, but Dr. Mario was my first main back in Melee. Mario was one of the mascots that I knew at the time when playing Smash, so I decided to roll with him. Still play the two quite frequently in Ultimate, but with more emphasis towards Dr. Mario. Both Mario’s overall feel nice in this game, as their movement and combos flow well with each other. Maybe not so much Dr. Mario as opposed to Mario, but they still play well nonetheless.

And about Mario’s Up B, it is an easy move to gimp overall, but sometimes I use cape to stall in the air or air dodge towards the ledge to avoid edge guards. Not sure if anyone used this since I’ve seen Mario players do this in Smash 4, but some use fludd to push their opponents away during an edgeguard situation.

Havrekjex

Smash Rookie
I'm new to Smash Ultimate (70-ish hours) and Smash in general, and I registered to ask exactly this, what is gained from playing Mario? I've played a lot less than most of my opponents online, so I'm not expecting a good win rate yet or anything like that, but there are so many seemingly tough matchups that have made me wonder if Mario is holding me back or if I'm just that bad in general.

I often feel like the cards are stacked against me. I get outranged not only by swordies but by a lot of other characters as well, where I don't see how I can reliably get in at all. I can't fly back on stage from almost any position like a lot of characters can, and I struggle to kill below 150% when other characters sometimes KO me at like 70. On top of all that I feel like a lot of characters like ZSS, Wolf, Joker and Sheik are way too fast to keep up. And even if I get in and get a combo string in, it doesn't do that much damage compared to some of the more powerful single hits other characters dish out. So I ask myself, why am I playing Mario again? Is it just blind commitment, or have I just not gotten there yet?

Is this that newbie phenomenon where I blame my low skill level on the game instead of takling responsobility for my losses, or is it a Mario thing where you kind of have to work harder for your wins and need to reach a certain skill threshold before he pays off, i.e. you have to be X good to play Mario and profit?

Thanks for any insight on this. Also, greetings everyone!

playpat3

Smash Rookie
I'm new to Smash Ultimate (70-ish hours) and Smash in general, and I registered to ask exactly this, what is gained from playing Mario? I've played a lot less than most of my opponents online, so I'm not expecting a good win rate yet or anything like that, but there are so many seemingly tough matchups that have made me wonder if Mario is holding me back or if I'm just that bad in general.

I often feel like the cards are stacked against me. I get outranged not only by swordies but by a lot of other characters as well, where I don't see how I can reliably get in at all. I can't fly back on stage from almost any position like a lot of characters can, and I struggle to kill below 150% when other characters sometimes KO me at like 70. On top of all that I feel like a lot of characters like ZSS, Wolf, Joker and Sheik are way too fast to keep up. And even if I get in and get a combo string in, it doesn't do that much damage compared to some of the more powerful single hits other characters dish out. So I ask myself, why am I playing Mario again? Is it just blind commitment, or have I just not gotten there yet?

Is this that newbie phenomenon where I blame my low skill level on the game instead of takling responsobility for my losses, or is it a Mario thing where you kind of have to work harder for your wins and need to reach a certain skill threshold before he pays off, i.e. you have to be X good to play Mario and profit?

Thanks for any insight on this. Also, greetings everyone!
when i first got on smash ultimate i could not pay for a win with mario. but i wanted him to be my main n i wanted to get good with him so i stuck it out. if i played 30 matches on quickplay i lost 27 of them no lie. i did a lot of research on not only how to play mario but just generally how to play the game also. my advice is to start by watching the pros and going into training and mimic the ways you see them get-in. i use short hop back-airs to combat people trying to out-range me. dash dancing and running in for a grab can get a combo started for good damage. learn how to b-reverse a fireball and neutral air on ur way down toward ur opponent and if theyre blocking try and grab.

as for his recovery everytime u get hit off stage i look to use a fireball to try and keep my opponent at bay. if u recover low marios up-b is reliable to get you back up to the stage from pretty deep. mess around with getting hit off stage in practice mode.

i been there tho with this character so, its understandable at least for me

Havrekjex

Smash Rookie
when i first got on smash ultimate i could not pay for a win with mario. but i wanted him to be my main n i wanted to get good with him so i stuck it out. if i played 30 matches on quickplay i lost 27 of them no lie. i did a lot of research on not only how to play mario but just generally how to play the game also. my advice is to start by watching the pros and going into training and mimic the ways you see them get-in. i use short hop back-airs to combat people trying to out-range me. dash dancing and running in for a grab can get a combo started for good damage. learn how to b-reverse a fireball and neutral air on ur way down toward ur opponent and if theyre blocking try and grab.

as for his recovery everytime u get hit off stage i look to use a fireball to try and keep my opponent at bay. if u recover low marios up-b is reliable to get you back up to the stage from pretty deep. mess around with getting hit off stage in practice mode.

i been there tho with this character so, its understandable at least for me
Thanks! I'm about halfway there with what you're describing. I can not for the life of me get any grabs in, but I got the b-airs down. I also started out with a 10% win rate and stayed there for a good while, it was painful, but I keep reminding myself that this game has no RNG to carry me, I have no business winning against people who are better than me, and when you're starting out, that 's literally everyone. Now I'm up to 20% all-time, which is still bad, but it's a marked improvement and I'm not in a hurry.

I guess my question would be better phrased like this: What's my *payoff* for playing with Mario? I'm playing a character with low reach that's not the fastest, has no overpowered moves and has approx. average recovery. What's the upside?

Edit: Ssbwiki lists his "oppressive combo ability" and "excellent edgeguarding ability" as his strenghts. Do you guys agree? If that's it, that would explain my frustration, as I'm not very good at taking full advantage of either. I really didn't think he was particularly good at edgeguarding. I can cape away high recoveries, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom