• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a Melee skill you just learned?

SmashMaster35

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-6374-6291
If u wanna brag about a new Melee skill u just learned, say it right here! I just learned how to wavedash. Yeah boi!!!!!

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Still working on this....

https://youtu.be/6oQFMNsJKx0

Invented by pseudoturtle, vid features spider sense
Wow that's insanely fast!

For myself I found a little something with Bowser's waveland. You can cancel the slide with the walking animation and Bowser keeps the momentum, so he starts walking extra fast if you release the trigger button quick enough with a perfect waveland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05tOlKOkNtU&feature=youtu.be (recorded by Gasher)

It's pretty useful, because he can sneak under floaties super fast and use a tilt or whatever with no lag at all.

As for a tech I have not found myself, I learned how to do those Platform mixups with fair, it's so great.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Wow that's insanely fast!

For myself I found a little something with Bowser's waveland. You can cancel the slide with the walking animation and Bowser keeps the momentum, so he starts walking extra fast if you release the trigger button quick enough with a perfect waveland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05tOlKOkNtU&feature=youtu.be (recorded by Gasher)

It's pretty useful, because he can sneak under floaties super fast and use a tilt or whatever with no lag at all.

As for a tech I have not found myself, I learned how to do those Platform mixups with fair, it's so great.
Ahhh **** I knew about this, it's decently useful but rarely applicable honestly.

Myself, I've also been working on some things with Bowser, namely waveland from ledge and various edge cancel scenarios.

Blisket

Smash Rookie
Also, my own original Samus tech;
ROCKET PUNCH TM
After knocking your opponent vertically, jump, and just as you're about to get into aerial range, double jump backwards and fire a Super Missile for a ROCKET PUNCH TM.
Easy to hit, just out of range of enemy aerials, and can be used to bait out a whiff, making them think you were coming in to land a Nair.

It is also necessary to scream;
"ROKKETTO PAAAAAAANCH!!!!"while performing this tech.

Designed specifically to deal with Marth's Dair lmao.

Last edited:

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
I've recently been wondering if they're are any not often utilized applications for Marth's side b, and I found that you can shorthop and then cancel momentum with your side b to give what appears to be an aerial, but you can continue the side b to put pressure on someone, or maybe catch them off guard. I personally wonder if I can use it to mixup opponents. P.S. I'm not sure if it's a utilized thing yet, and I don't often see it in play, maybe because it's useless and I just haven't noticed anyone talk about it, but I'm gonna call it dancecanceling. c:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I've recently been wondering if they're are any not often utilized applications for Marth's side b, and I found that you can shorthop and then cancel momentum with your side b to give what appears to be an aerial, but you can continue the side b to put pressure on someone, or maybe catch them off guard. I personally wonder if I can use it to mixup opponents. P.S. I'm not sure if it's a utilized thing yet, and I don't often see it in play, maybe because it's useless and I just haven't noticed anyone talk about it, but I'm gonna call it dancecanceling. c:
The issue with this is that the lag can be punished simply by shielding and punishing after (example, Fox upsmash OoS). The knockback isn't too good either. It still has potential as a mixup though, for sure.

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
The issue with this is that the lag can be punished simply by shielding and punishing after (example, Fox upsmash OoS). The knockback isn't too good either. It still has potential as a mixup though, for sure.
I thought about that too, but I also found it interesting that you could bait someone by doing a rising neutral air trying to put shield pressure on them, or maybe instead do a late reverse up b, or many other things. After all, Marth's shield pressure doesn't work like fox's with constant damage making it dangerous, or scary to escape, his is the threat of perceived damage. c:

Last edited:

Raycu

Smash Apprentice
Another interesting thing is down b out of shield, but that's not really a new tech, it's just jumping out of shield than down b-ing.

sace

Smash Rookie
shield dropping consistently and let go of ledge > jump to platform > waveland back > grab ledge > repeat > jump > double laser before grabbing ledge

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah...I'm getting into :foxmelee:'s waveshine shenanigans and :yoshimelee:'s edge-cancelled eggs. I also have wavedashing, L-cancelling, and dash-dancing down pat. Too bad Brawl and 4 took out those techs, especially L-canceling. :snake: would have had his air game go from near-unusable to "okay I guess", but I digress.

Favid

Smash Rookie
Just learned to Short hop double laser in place, retreating and approaching :D
Also got down waveshining consistently so I'm pretty hyped. Once you start noticing improvement you learn a lot faster it's crazy

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Moonwalk -> fullhop nair with falcon so I can get far offstage, use a nair, and have tons of horizontal movement so that i can bair again. Not sure how useful it is and its pretty hard to pull of consistently but it looks cool.
Also Falcon haxdashing.

Last edited:

SSBM Tao

Smash Cadet
I've got double shine reverse waveshines 70% down and shield drop shine-reverse Wavelands to L-canceled aerials down packed.

Last edited:

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I've got double shine reverse waveshines 70% down and shield drop shine-reverse Wavelands to L-canceled aerials down packed.
HOLY **** you are amazing
you have better tech skill than i did when i was 13!
You are on your way to becoming an amazing player. keep it up.
Holy crap those shield drops! Those are faster than mine!
Do you attend a lot of tournaments?
You should you would win them.

Last edited:

SSBM Tao

Smash Cadet
HOLY **** you are amazing
you have better tech skill than i did when i was 13!
You are on your way to becoming an amazing player. keep it up.
Holy crap those shield drops! Those are faster than mine!
Do you attend a lot of tournaments?
You should you would win them.
Thanks! I appreciate it a lot! It comes with hundreds of hours of practice, but my tournament results are only decent because of nerves.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
Thanks! I appreciate it a lot! It comes with hundreds of hours of practice, but my tournament results are only decent because of nerves.
How many tournaments have you attended? I lost my nerves after about the fourth or fifth. It just takes time.
Im also a young player... young players usually struggle with nerves a lot. Sometimes when i play someone really good i still mess up because my palms are sweaty.

Last edited:

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Wow man your fox is amazing. How long have you been practicing with fox and how many hours do you usually practice?

Last edited:

A Baker Named Prima

Smash Rookie
Starting to waveland and ledgedash more consistently with Sheik instead of SD'ing more than half of the time. At the stage where it's starting to be that I don't have to consciously think to do it, but starting to do it on instinct. Just gotta be careful to mix up the options though.

Top Bottom