• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a good secondary to have whilst maining Mario?

Monster_

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaM0nster
3DS FC
0189-9032-2073
I actually used to alt DK too, however, you begin to find that Mario's stellar match up spread doesn't really need a secondary. However, picking up a Top tier like Sheik/ZSS will probably only benefit you.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I've been wanting to get a secondary for Mario for very long now.
I think a good way to completent someone with a playstyle as well-rounded as Mario would be to get someone who can fulfill a specific niche while still mantaining effectiveness. I've been discussing with a few people the possibility of me playing Pit/Pitto as a secondary to Mario, but I'll see.

Dividee

Smash Cadet
NNID
fast2fast
I actually used to alt DK too, however, you begin to find that Mario's stellar match up spread doesn't really need a secondary. However, picking up a Top tier like Sheik/ZSS will probably only benefit you.
I've been wanting to get a secondary for Mario for very long now.
I think a good way to completent someone with a playstyle as well-rounded as Mario would be to get someone who can fulfill a specific niche while still mantaining effectiveness. I've been discussing with a few people the possibility of me playing Pit/Pitto as a secondary to Mario, but I'll see.
yes i was thinking cloud honestly.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I've personally found my megaman to be an excellent pairing with mario, very contrasting playstyle and uses, throws people off hard sometimes.

Mokeyo

Smash Rookie
Sheik. Mario/Sheik is undeniably the best co-main partnership in the game. You win nearly every matchup.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
Sheik. Mario/Sheik is undeniably the best co-main partnership in the game. You win nearly every matchup.
Agreed. Mario and Sheik are arguably the best combo characaters in the game, with Sheik having superior range, recovery; Mario has higher damage, weight, and (possibly) better finishers. They both deal well with projectiles, both do well with sluggish frame-data types (Shulk....)

Perhaps though maybe if Shulk is ever buffed in frame data, maining him wouldn't be all that bad. Having a character w/ the best overall range would be nice in a toolkit.

Wom

Smash Rookie
NNID
PollsMan
I think that if you want to cover Mario's weaknesses, then Yoshi would be a pretty good secondary. Mario struggles against lightweight characters, which Yoshi has good matchups against.

OGPiP

Smash Rookie
NNID
OG_PiP
I used to use Villager as my secondary. I didn't choose Villager based on the MU spread, but more so for the completley different playstyle that Villager offers.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Well, Mario maybe the most average character in Smash history, but that doesn't mean he's average enough to be rushing down, getting into opponent's face 24/7 and whatnot. We all know has no fast speed. That's why I got someone like Fox to back my Mario up.

pbjezgoud

Smash Cadet
NNID
PBJezGOUD
I used to have Falco as a secondary, but he struggles against a lot of top tiers. Someone like Sheik, ZSS, and Cloud are wonderful secondaries. Cloud is probably the best backup as his reach is superior and you barely lose to Sheik/ZSS as Mario anyway. Cloud is great against other sword characters, whereas Mario struggles.

Last edited:

HighLuna

Smash Rookie
I use R.O.B. I find that his projectile spacing game beats out most of marios bad MU's marth/lucina especially

Silverwind 2020

Smash Cadet
I use Mario/Lucario. Not that many people can beat my Mario in the first place, but it's good having the King of Aura backing me up. These are two of my "elite four" characters. The other two are Link and Zelda.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I secondary Samus, because I discovered that I am godlike at Samus. Before her, it was Wii Fit. I like being able to zone or keep someone away. I found Samus to have a more powerful projectile(s), a great combo game, fantastic traps, and plenty of kill power. Not to mention a free Up B, I take kindly to characters with get out of jail free Up B's.

Occasionally I pull out Doc if a match up feels like I should be able to win with Mario, but I can't quite get the kill. Doc helps with the upped kill power. I also pull out Doc in order to avoid the obnoxious Mario ditto. I don't have a character to beat Mario, so if I have to trade hits, I'd at least like to dish out more damage over time.

Also, the only counter I have to DK is Mewtwo. It's a fun as hell match up that goes either way. With Mario, I just combo him from one side of the stage to the next, but he gets the kill and keeps the rage. I have a hard time killing with Mario tbh. No one ever falls for my up smashes.

monzer

Smash Journeyman
Villager is good against swordfighters, who I can never beat as Mario. Luigi is always good for throwing off people who are used to your Mario, while still keeping a similar playstyle.

Balbys23

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2595-0802-2073
I Personally main Captain Falcon as my secondary. They´re both fast, can do easy grab and dash attack combos, and can edge guard frequently.

Top Bottom