• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What in God's name will they do with all the 3rd Parties??

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Ever since they announced f***ing Cloud for Smash 4 I wondered how in the world they're either going to equate that or top it in the next installment. In Brawl we got Snake and Sonic, then in Smash 4 we got the video game Peanut Gallery. What could they do? Will the rights still be active for them to use said characters in the new installment out the gate? I really don't have a clue what might become of it all. OMG GUKO FR SMARSH?!? What do you think they'll do at this point?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Guko is a 4th party character, not a 3rd one.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Cloud probably has the worst chances of returning, especially after the way that Final Fantasy VII was represented in Smash 3DS / Wii U.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we'll get most if not all the 3rd party characters back, with Cloud and Snake being the only real sticking points

BUT

What's uncertain is if they'll be on disk (manner of speaking) or DLC.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Unpopular opinion, but I'm hoping the majority of 3rd Party characters don't return. Three is a good number.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure about Cloud, but I feel like the other third parties are more or less safe.

Sonic's the closest thing there is to a shoo-in as far as third parties go, and not only is Bayonetta owned by the same company, but 2/3 of her games are Nintendo exclusive and she did extremely well in both Europe and North America as far as the Smash Ballot is concerned.

I feel like Mega Man and Ryu are also a package deal, and I can't really see why Capcom would say no when they have no problem with including Ryu in just about everything else. Pac-Man's likelihood seems like it would depend on whether or not Namco-Bandai is helping out with the game, but even if they aren't, I can't think it would take much convincing.

Spikeez

Smash Cadet
To be honest, I don't expect any of the third party characters in Smash 4 to be cut (Especially Sonic and Bayo) except for maybe Cloud because Square isn't the easiest company to convince, but aside from that I think it's safe to say that they are going to come back.

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is returning for sure. Pacman and Mega Man have both a very high chance too

I'm not so sure about Ryu and Bayonetta but I really hope they return beceause I love them both.

Cloud is up in the air. He's probably a 1 time thing, just like Snake. It would be great if they all return but I don't think it's happening

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I'd like to see all of them return.

Cloud and Snake are the least likely ones, though. If Cloud makes it back, hopefully they put more music from FFVII in there. As for Snake, well it depends if Konami has any dignity or good will in their rusted bones to do it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Sonic is the most likely candidate to return and I think Megaman and Pacman are highly likely as well.

I actually do hope all will return, but as of now, I guess we'll wait and see.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
:4sonic: is returning 1000%.
:4bayonetta:is also returning but might be DLC to get that E10+ rating.
:4cloud:is very low, given how much content we got from FFVII. SE seems very reluctant to do it again.
:4pacman:has super great chance, 3rd to Sonic.
:4ryu: is meh.
:4megaman: is coming back 999% too. 2nd to Sonic.

UnknownM

Smash Cadet
:4sonic: unarguably has the highest chance of all third party characters to return. Not much to discuss about him since many would easily agree in his return.

:4bayonetta2: being the Ballot winner AND being owned partly by SEGA boosts her chances of returning rather greatly.

:4cloud: and :snake: unfortunately have the lowest chances of returning in Smash, although it isn't impossible.

:4megaman: has a great chance in returning, probably the highest behind Sonic and maybe Bayonetta.

:4pacman: has a moderate chance of returning, but overall I see him do so rather than be cut.

:4ryu:...not so sure about him but since Capcom also owns him I can see him returning.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I've always felt Cloud had the lowest chance of returning. For two reasons, the first one being that Final Fantasy hasn't been represented on Nintendo consoles that well but even more than that I got the impression Square Enix were difficult to work with, since they only allowed two songs to be used for the Final Fantasy stage. It just gives me a vibe that they'd be the most likely 3rd party company to jump ship in the move to the next Smash Bros game.

Aside from that though I'm expecting the others to return. Sonic, Megaman and Bayonetta seem like obvious returns. Ryu is also Capcom so him returning seems likely. Pacman is also likely and even moreso if Bandai Namco is working on this Smash Bros as well.

Snake is an odd one. On one hand it doesn't seem that likely, but on the other hand it would be a good opportunity to take people by surprise if they tried to have him make a return.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though Bayonetta is more or less going to stay. Controversial opinion, probably; however, I do not believe she won the Smash Ballot... At all. I am pretty sure they planned on having her and with the property more or less a Nintendo exclusive and a sequel on the horizon, she just makes sense to stay. I would sooner believe her than any other third party character... Including Sonic.

Speaking of which, Sonic has been around twice whereas Snake obviously got the cut. So that creates two separate precedence. Mega Man and Pacman are closer to that Sonic tier than Cloud or Ryu. So we shall see.

D

Deleted member

I actually feel like Crash has a chance now that the remake trilogy is on Switch. It would make for a pretty hype E3 reveal, not to mention I'm sure Activision and Nintendo both would love all the advertising that it would give the Switch port of the trilogy.

Yeah, I'm with others here; if we're getting cuts to the guest characters, Cloud's gonna go. I have a feeling that whole situation was more Nintendo asking for him rather than SE pushing for him to be in, especially since FF7 has never been on a Nintendo console (TBH his inclusion still makes no sense to me, lol).

Sonic & Bayo are 100% safe. Nothing to worry about on that front for those who like them.

Ryu is probably safe. Capcom loves to shove SF in people's faces every opportunity they get, so I'm confident he'll stay. Mega Man has a new game coming out so I'm sure they'll let him stay to hype people up for that.

Pac Man is probably gone. I just don't see him staying when Bamco isn't helping out this time.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
I hope Ryu will not come back. He just doesn't belong imo. Cloud too

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Sonic, Mega Man, and PacMan I feel are guaranteed. They are far too iconic.

Bayonetta is highly likely due to Nintendo's investment in the franchise.

Cloud and Ryu are probably in some danger of being cut.

snake is dead.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually feel like Crash has a chance now that the remake trilogy is on Switch. It would make for a pretty hype E3 reveal, not to mention I'm sure Activision and Nintendo both would love all the advertising that it would give the Switch port of the trilogy.

Yeah, I'm with others here; if we're getting cuts to the guest characters, Cloud's gonna go. I have a feeling that whole situation was more Nintendo asking for him rather than SE pushing for him to be in, especially since FF7 has never been on a Nintendo console (TBH his inclusion still makes no sense to me, lol).

Sonic & Bayo are 100% safe. Nothing to worry about on that front for those who like them.

Ryu is probably safe. Capcom loves to shove SF in people's faces every opportunity they get, so I'm confident he'll stay. Mega Man has a new game coming out so I'm sure they'll let him stay to hype people up for that.

Pac Man is probably gone. I just don't see him staying when Bamco isn't helping out this time.
If you ask me, not only does he have a chance, the port is on the Switch BECAUSE he is in Smash. It is almost too obvious to be true, in a way. The only other possibility is... Spryo, I guess? Sakurai knows we are interested in purple dragons.

Apparently Bandai might still be helping. I guess that watermark was just for who owned the copyright and apparently it read that way for Smash 4 as well.

D

Deleted member

If you ask me, not only does he have a chance, the port is on the Switch BECAUSE he is in Smash. It is almost too obvious to be true, in a way. The only other possibility is... Spryo, I guess? Sakurai knows we are interested in purple dragons.

Apparently Bandai might still be helping. I guess that watermark was just for who owned the copyright and apparently it read that way for Smash 4 as well.
I feel like Spyro would have to be DLC much later down the road, given that the rumors of his remaster state that it's gonna be like Crash and be a one year exclusive for Sony.

Also, huh, I didn't know that. I assumed Hal was doing this one again given the stuff on the site, but I guess it would make sense that it would be nothing more than a simple copyright thing (especially when one considers how busy they've been with Kirby). Looks like Pac Man could stay then, ha ha.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I'm conflicted: on the one hand I am worried about what will happen to the third party characters Sakurai seems to have worked so hard for to include. On the other hand, however, cutting some will trim the fat of the 'glutton' that was Sm4sh.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I hope they keep Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man in the base roster. Tier lists aside, Mega Man and Pac-Man are two of the most unique characters in Smash I've seen and they're far to iconic and they feel like they belong here. I'm not sure about Ryu and Cloud, but I could see Bayonetta making a return considering all the attention Nintendo is giving her, though to me she seems more like DLC material rather than making the base roster. Two third-party characters I personally want to see make it into the base game are Bomberman and Rayman.

Khao

Smash Lord
I think Sonic, Pacman and Mega Man are just about guaranteed to return. Sonic especially considering he's been in two games now, wouldn't even be surprised if he got a second character.

Ryu, Bayonetta and Cloud are the only ones I'm really worried about. Seeing how it's becoming more and more likely that this is a new game entirely, they're probably gonna have to prioritize some characters over others, and I doubt those tree are high on the list (we would've seen them in the base release otherwise).

As for new third parties, I dunno man. There's not a lot of characters (if any) that could match the massive hype that characters like Mega Man, Cloud or Sonic. Aside from Bayonetta and maybe Cloud, all third parties we got are ****ing legendary and instantly recognizable even as pop culture icons outside of gaming. I know that a lot of people want to see stuff like Shovel Knight, or Shantae. But if you seriously think about it, they have nowhere near the history or mainstream appeal than WiiU/3DS's third parties.

We might get a surprise at the end of the day, but I don't think there's any single guest character that can top the ones we already got. (I'm trying to be objective by the way, I personally wouldn't give a **** if they cut Cloud or Sonic or Pacman and would be hyped as **** if we got Shovel Knight. But they choose these characters extremely carefully, we have to know what to expect).

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Final Fantasy has a long history on Nintendo consoles, and while that may not apply to Final Fantasy 7 specifically, it's still far and away the most popular/well-known game in the franchise, with Cloud easily being the best-known protagonist. If any other Final Fantasy lead, like Terra or Cecil, made it in, the majority of responses would be wondering why Cloud wasn't included instead.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Pac-Man, Mega Man and Sonic not making it in would suprise the majority of people considering there is no true reason to cut 'em. Ryu can easily make it in if Mega's in the game and Bayonetta also feels like a shoe-in.

Cloud and Snake are probably never coming back for a Smash game. Unless Sakurai really wants to please the minorities.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I must have missed something, why is it that Cloud has such a little chance of returning?

In general I'd like there to be less 3rd party characters, I felt like the game began to lose its focus a little bit with how much its DLC relied on using other companies' character for hype. Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man are musts, beyond that I don't think the others are necessary.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I think that, with the exception of Ryu and Cloud, the rest are pretty much safe.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I don't see Bayonetta leaving at all, with all the support she has gotten from Nintendo the past few years. Although I won't be able to rest until we are 100% sure she is in ^^'

As for the Sonic, Pac-Man and Mega-Man, they are iconic enought to be guaranteed to stay. Ryu and Cloud I'm more doubtful, especially for the latter.

D

Deleted member

:4sonic::4bayonetta: - Probably the safest ones here (other than Pac-Man if Namco is co-developing this entry). Both were immensely popular requests prior to their respective debuts, and Sega should be easy to work with.
:4megaman::4ryu: - Pretty safe as well, and Capcom should be easy to work with, too.
:4pacman: - If Namco is co-developing this time, then I'd consider him a lock. Even if they aren't, I'd say he's pretty safe as well.
:4cloud: - Square might be harder to work with than the aforementioned three companies, as possibly indicated by the bare-bones content that accompanied him in Smash 4. He's probably the likeliest to be cut, but I could be wrong.
:snake: - There's still unanswered questions, both regarding Snake's exclusion from Smash 4 and the current state of Konami.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I feel like the majority of people who voted for Bayonetta in the ballot don't even know she's a Sega character.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Smash Switch is being developed by Hal Lab, not Namco Bandai, so Pac-Man's inclusion is now iffy.

D

Deleted member

Smash Switch is being developed by Hal Lab, not Namco Bandai, so Pac-Man's inclusion is now iffy.
They never stated who is going to co-develop this game. And before anyone mentions the official site, that's just a copyright statement. Nintendo and Hal co-own the Smash IP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ade117

Smash Rookie
Call me crazy with all the Goku beggars, but I think he has a chance in the DLC. I think Crash now has a chance in the base game with the trilogy coming to Switch and so does Rayman with countless Nintendo appearances. But Dragon Ball is insanely popular in Japan and relevant again because of Super. Call me a DB fanboy, but I think Goku might be a DLC surprise.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Sonic - Close to guaranteed. His icon status and friendliness with Nintendo, as well as history in Smash, shows me he stays.

Bayonetta - Nintendo treats her as one of their own, and Bayonetta 3 is coming soon. I don't see her leaving.

Mega Man - Nintendo and Capcom are pretty buddy-buddy and their support of the Switch is sizeable. He also has a large history with Nintendo, and Mega Man 11 is coming to Switch.

Ryu - Capcom's mascot is both incredibly unique, which Sakurai loves. Sakurai also loves Street Fighter, and we just got USF2 The Final Challengers on Switch. No reason to cut.

Pac-Man - The most iconic character amongst the third parties and debatable the whole roster. Even if Namco isn't helping, O doubt they'd have trouble getting him back.

Cloud - Controversial opinion but I think his status in gaming speaks for itself. Considering how much work probably went into getting him I doubt Sakurai would want to lose him, and there's the fact Square seems to love the Switch. There's always the chance we could get the FFVII remake announced for Switch too so there's really no telling how it could go.

Snake - Again, it's iffy. His legacy proceeds him, and they acknowledged him in the 50 Fact Extravaganza so it's not like they don't consider him part of the series .of all third parties though, I feel he's least likely to come back as it was more of a favor to Kojima.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Are there seriously doubts about Pac-Man?
Call me crazy with all the Goku beggars, but I think he has a chance in the DLC. I think Crash now has a chance in the base game with the trilogy coming to Switch and so does Rayman with countless Nintendo appearances. But Dragon Ball is insanely popular in Japan and relevant again because of Super. Call me a DB fanboy, but I think Goku might be a DLC surprise.
By your logic Monkey D. Luffy should be the first character to get in a smash game due to his series being the most popular in Japan.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Imagine if they replace Ryu with Akuma; that way they can promote Tekken and Street Fighter simultaneously.

I think all of the third party characters are safe. Hopefully they won't be DLC, but I'd buy them again regardless.

Top Bottom