• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What in God's name will they do with all the 3rd Parties??

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I would have to disagree with that. Frankly there isn't much more Nintendo has to offer with simply first party franchises. Aside from Inkling, probably the most popular first party request I've seen is Spring Man from ARMS, and reception for that game has mostly just been "decent". If this guy is the popular one, who else could we possibly add to really make the roster pop out from other games?
Ridley, King K.Rool, Bandanna Waddle Dee are all pretty popular around here. Take a look at the Smashboards support threads, there's still some pretty big names to tick off.

Also, we don't necessarily need characters to sell Smash anymore. A handful of cool throwback characters is plenty to sell this giant nostalgia machine.

I dunno though. It's always been a 'celebration of Nintendo's history' in my eyes. More third-parties just water that down.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno though. It's always been a 'celebration of Nintendo's history' in my eyes. More third-parties just water that down.
Nintendo's history isn't purely Nintendo, ya know.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Nintendo's history isn't purely Nintendo, ya know.
Yeah I know that. I don't know why I'm not all that fond of third-parties. Characters like Bayonetta and Sonic I can align with Nintendo - one now being an exclusive and the other being a major rival during the 90s.

Others - Cloud, Pac Mac, Ryu, the popularly requested Shovel Knight... they just don't seem to have enough of a link to Nintendo to warrant being included in my eyes.

Randomly adding characters because they're big names in the industry might start to make Smash feel less special - but once again that's just for me.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Randomly adding characters because they're big names in the industry might start to make Smash feel less special - but once again that's just for me.
Yeah I think that's mostly a you problem. To me Smash is incredibly special because it's a game where game characters from all around can join together to duke it out! Really, in what other game can you fight it out with the likes of Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega Man, and Mario? Literally none and there will never be another game to bring together so many incredible characters.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I feel like it's the other way around. The fact that Smash can get all of these big names in the industry to come together, and still manage to top itself in terms of the sheer ridiculousness of who they get, is what makes it special.

The development team's had good judgment when it comes to third party characters, both in terms of choices and amount, and I don't see why it wouldn't stay that way. Smash isn't going to turn into Mugen, or add characters like Freddy from Five Nights at Freddy's just because the game is popular.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
:4sonic: and :4bayonetta: are def coming back. Both are rly close to Nintendo and popular (srsly at this point I consider Bayo Nintendo's adopted child), plus Bayo3 is on the horizon. Same with :4megaman: and :4pacman: on a lesser scale I guess?
:4ryu: has been present on Switch already so I guess they could bring him back too.
I'm too biased to talk about :4cloud: since I always hated the idea of having him in Smash before DLC was even a thing, but he's popular enough to come back I guess? idk Cloud seems to be more divisive bc of him basically being a Sony poster boy

About new ones? As much I want Jack Frost from SMT, I know he wouldn't garner any hype compared to all of them. I think the only character that has the possibility of garnering Mega Man-level hype is Crash. But if you want someone that can TOP all the 3rd parties, I think it's impossible bc Sonic's hype levels back in Brawl were unparalled

Bonus: :snake: made it into Brawl only bc of Kojima right? Now Kojima has no control over the Metal Gear IP, so I guess Konami would rather let other characters be in Smash

I couldn't agree more with this, which is exactly why I keep saying I dislike Cloud in Smash

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I feel like it's the other way around. The fact that Smash can get all of these big names in the industry to come together, and still manage to top itself in terms of the sheer ridiculousness of who they get, is what makes it special.

The development team's had good judgment when it comes to third party characters, both in terms of choices and amount, and I don't see why it wouldn't stay that way. Smash isn't going to turn into Mugen, or add characters like Freddy from Five Nights at Freddy's just because the game is popular.
I do agree that some Third Parties are really good for Smash and genuinely deserve (for lack of a better word) to be in Smash. I don't want to come across like I'm against anyone's favourite characters but I think that a couple of the DLC characters in 4 weren't a good fit. Iconic yes, a good fit for Smash... maybe not.

As positive example, it truly is special that Sonic is in Smash. This is a really amazing achievement for Sakurai and honour for Sega and the Sonic Team.

And yeah, for the most part, the devs team judgement is good. I guess my concern is if the game becoming too heavy on the third parties that people get mad when Nintendo characters are added over Third Parties.

Call me crazy but I'd rather obscure and secondary Nintendo characters shown off and brought to life more than most Third Parties.

D

Deleted member

Third parties will definitely return, but I only expect Sonic and Mega Man so far. Those two are cultural icons and were very well-received, so I doubt they will get cut unless Sega and Capcom refuse to bring them back (which why would they?).
I would also say Pac-Man would return because of his iconic status, but part of me thinks he was included because of Namco as well. If they are developing Smash Switch, I can definitely see him return.

As for the others...
I can see Bayonetta return since she won the Ballot, I am very iffy on Ryu returning alongside Mega Man, and Cloud seems like a one-time character to surprise and shock everyone. Snake is in a sticky situation because of Konami, with their iffy relationship with Nintendo and their treatment of the Metal Gear series now that Kojima is done with it.

As for new ones, I'm not sure who else they could add besides Bomberman and Rayman.

Magolor

Smash Rookie
Im expecting a Undertale character (like Sans or Frisk) to promot Undertale for Nintendo Switch. Also, the original Smash 3-party characters are probably stay on Smash.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I'd agree with most but I'd change Snake to 1%.

Konami isn't in full "burn Kojima and everything he's accomplished" mode and may take the chance for free money. That's how Bomberman R happened, I think
Did they ever enter that mode? They just seemed to have become difficult to work with.

I would have to disagree with that. Frankly there isn't much more Nintendo has to offer with simply first party franchises. Aside from Inkling, probably the most popular first party request I've seen is Spring Man from ARMS, and reception for that game has mostly just been "decent". If this guy is the popular one, who else could we possibly add to really make the roster pop out from other games?
Well, from series that are currently dormant, that carry good favour in the main Nintendo fan base, you have series like Nintendo Wars, known as Advance Wars on the Game Boy Advance, Golden Sun and Custom Robo. These are the dormant game series that Nintendo fans would love to see in Smash.

And as for new IPs besides Smash, there's games like Boxboy, Dillion's Rolling Western and the Pushmos series. And these games do have large enough fanbases, since they all got sequels. And here's the thing if your looking for new IPs from Nintendo, that aren't Splatoon, you need to look on the 3DS and Wii U eshop, cause that's where they are.

As for my take on the 3rd parties, they all have a shot of coming back, unless something happens where Sega, Capcom, Square Enix and Namco either all start acting like Konami or go bankrupt, all of them have 50/50 chance of getting back.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Did they ever enter that mode? They just seemed to have become difficult to work with.

Well, from series that are currently dormant, that carry good favour in the main Nintendo fan base, you have series like Nintendo Wars, known as Advance Wars on the Game Boy Advance, Golden Sun and Custom Robo. These are the dormant game series that Nintendo fans would love to see in Smash.

And as for new IPs besides Smash, there's games like Boxboy, Dillion's Rolling Western and the Pushmos series. And these games do have large enough fanbases, since they all got sequels. And here's the thing if your looking for new IPs from Nintendo, that aren't Splatoon, you need to look on the 3DS and Wii U eshop, cause that's where they are.

As for my take on the 3rd parties, they all have a shot of coming back, unless something happens where Sega, Capcom, Square Enix and Namco either all start acting like Konami or go bankrupt, all of them have 50/50 chance of getting back.
Okay but these characters simply don't pop out. Seeing a character like Ryu or Pac-Man will get an immediate reaction out of just about anyone because even if they haven't played the game they're from, they still see them everywhere. I think it's reasonable to admit that I haven't played every single Nintendo game under the sun, so most of these characters don't even get a reaction out of me because they simply have little to no prominence.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that Smash isn't going to just appeal to Nintendo fans, not when it has the power to be attracting so many more, and especially when you consider that most Nintendo fans will probably buy the game anyway, regardless of who's in it.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Okay but these characters simply don't pop out. Seeing a character like Ryu or Pac-Man will get an immediate reaction out of just about anyone because even if they haven't played the game they're from, they still see them everywhere. I think it's reasonable to admit that I haven't played every single Nintendo game under the sun, so most of these characters don't even get a reaction out of me because they simply have little to no prominence.

I think it's worth keeping in mind that Smash isn't going to just appeal to Nintendo fans, not when it has the power to be attracting so many more, and especially when you consider that most Nintendo fans will probably buy the game anyway, regardless of who's in it.
Umm, yeah here's the thing, 3rd parties are for bringing in new customers and the like, so they'd hype them up.

But characters like Dillion appeal to Nintendo core fanbase, that plays mainly Nintendo IPs, so adding characters like him is looking after your core audiences interest, and a character like Issac from Golden Sun, is what keeps your long times loyal.

3rd parties draw in the newcomers, its Nintendo's main IPs that keep core Nintendo fans buying Smash.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Umm, yeah here's the thing, 3rd parties are for bringing in new customers and the like, so they'd hype them up.

But characters like Dillion appeal to Nintendo core fanbase, that plays mainly Nintendo IPs, so adding characters like him is looking after your core audiences interest, and a character like Issac from Golden Sun, is what keeps your long times loyal.

3rd parties draw in the newcomers, its Nintendo's main IPs that keep core Nintendo fans buying Smash.
That is precisely right. For the record I don't want them to just stop adding Nintendo characters, that'd be silly, and my apologies if that is the impression I gave you, however I still want to see Smash continue to expand it's horizons by introducing new third parties and I don't think it'd be to hard to have a balance of the two that appeals to both parties.

Starlight_Lily

That is precisely right. For the record I don't want them to just stop adding Nintendo characters, that'd be silly, and my apologies if that is the impression I gave you, however I still want to see Smash continue to expand it's horizons by introducing new third parties and I don't think it'd be to hard to have a balance of the two that appeals to both parties.
Well, I was more so pointing that 3rd party characters aren't the only ones that build hype. Believe it or not, actually getting Toad would bring hype, and well while Ridely is a meme, he would bring hype, probably not to the level of say Bomberman, cause Bomberman is more well known then Ridely.

Top Bottom