• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What improvements should Nintendo make for their next-gen console?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Of course, it's still way too early to be thinking ahead, but why not? Nintendo has stated that they are listening to fans and feedback, which is leading them to keep a "home console-handheld hybrid" concept going forward, so we can expect a device similar to the Switch's portability for the next console.

Here's my personal wish-list:
  • Better Online Service: If we're viewing Microsoft, Playstation, and Steam as the core sources of gaming, Nintendo is the only one of them that still has major hiccups when it comes to online.
    • Lag: Online games, like Smash, have a number of issues that usually involve the purchase of an accessory to make some improvements. Playing games online on other game services usually do not have as much problems. I'd love to see Nintendo really focus on their online service for the next-gen.
    • Connecting with Friends: You can add people to a friend's list, and you can see what they're playing and when they're online/offline, but that's about it...? You can't perform basic actions like messaging friends, sending them invites to games, sharing clips. There's really no interactivity between friends. Personally, I don't like having to use an app on a 3rd-party device for online interactivity, but that's just a personal preference.
      • Child Concerns: Maybe parental controls can be implemented to restrict these services if parents are worried about their children interacting with others in an online setting.
  • Larger Storage Capacity:
    • The standard Switch comes with 32GB. A game like Smash takes away half of that. Of course, you can still buy SD cards or other accessories to increase storage space. There's a common theme of having to buy outside resources to expand upon rather basic gaming premises, but I'll give Nintendo a pass here because it's their first time doing a console-hybrid console. I'm just annoyed of having to archive games I really like to play new ones, and then having to go back and re-download archived games.
  • More Practical Internal Battery:
    • The Switch can be a pain to charge from dead to full due to the huge internal battery. If Nintendo can find a way to improve on this hardware for their next console, I think that would be a great addition. Having charge speeds increase, as well as the speed from a dead console to alive would be welcome additions. If you leave your Switch dead for a week and then put it in the charger, it's going to take a bit to even turn on.
  • Virtual Console Return:
    • I get what Nintendo is doing with their Online Service. This is a rather small change I'd want to see for a future console, but I think it'd be cool to have access to a number of NES, SNES, N64, GCN, GBA, and DS games available. You can pick and choose what games you want.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Pretty much everything you listed especially return of the Virtual Console. Switch Online doesn't cut it for me as once the servers are down, we won't be able to play the classics on Switch anymore. Virtual Console is the right way to present Retro games on modern consoles.

Top Bottom