• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "What if Zelda was a girl?" : Zelda Q&A COME HERE FIRST WITH YOUR ZELDA QUESTIONS.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Finding Your Way Through Hyrule : Zelda Q&A

Also with a Thread Finder Index!
If there's any thread missing that should be added, shoot me a message.

Welcome!

Please feel free to ask any questions you have about Zelda in Super Smash Brothers for the WiiU & 3DS here, instead of making a thread. Our lovely Zeldas shall provide answers!

Last edited:

rabbits

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
So the way I see it, Zelda's metagame = Farore's Elevator. Once people learn to DI that, what's going to happen to our meta?

Last edited:

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
Nairo has said that that if you're quick enough you can angle Farore's Wind to still hit someone if they DI, and I've seen a video on YouTube of someone doing it. (I can try to track that down later.) However, I myself can't figure out how to do it. Everytime I try I go too far left or right and don't hit. Assuming Farore's Squall works the same way, I might play with that later to try and figure it out with a visual.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Basically what ActionShot said. If players actually do get good enough to reaction DI FW elevator on a more common basis, then by then Zeldas shall learn or will have already learned to improve their reaction speed to catch them anyways. Which is neat.

Nairo was playing ZeRo with Zelda recently, and actually had a semi-successful attempt at reaction angling his FW to still hit ZeRo.

Wait, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw3Ve9veAvk

At 8:10, Nairo actually angles his FW2 and gets the weaker hit-box to hit.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
My problem is that if you can angle according to DI on reaction then you're probably a top player, and if you're a top player, you're probably not playing Zelda.

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
Down Throw is your go to for combos that you'll be using most, but Up Throw also works at very low percents. Forward and Back are typically for just getting someone offstage.

Edit: Back throw can also kill, but really if your opponent is above 10% or so you'll be wanting to use down throw most of the time.

Last edited:

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Basically what ActionShot said. If players actually do get good enough to reaction DI FW elevator on a more common basis, then by then Zeldas shall learn or will have already learned to improve their reaction speed to catch them anyways. Which is neat.

Nairo was playing ZeRo with Zelda recently, and actually had a semi-successful attempt at reaction angling his FW to still hit ZeRo.

Wait, here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw3Ve9veAvk

At 8:10, Nairo actually angles his FW2 and gets the weaker hit-box to hit.
If one of the best players is only "semi-successful" it doesn't look too good for the rest of us lol

StarForce

Smash Ace
Hyrule, Mushroom, Sarasaland, Nohr Kingdoms
Hello Zelda and Peach main here but Zelda's the leader most of the time. Nairu's love gives a few frames of invincibility to Zelda if i'm correct. (i'm not very technical on stuff I'm not a very good player either. My general glory percent in all modes combined is roughly 25% wins.) Can I expel (counter) out a Zelda who Farore's into me with Nayru's love or Nayru doesn't cover the time for it? And while at it. Can I use Neutral B (Toad) to counter being Farored? One last one. Whe's the minimun damage to effectively Meteor smash with Zelda without a recovery back. (by the enemy). Thank you If anyone selects my questions to ask. I'm in need of the Nayru anti farore one. I don't have any physical friends to test this.

Gay Ginger

Make Smash Bros. Gay Again
Switch FC
3923-4397-1697
Hello Zelda and Peach main here but Zelda's the leader most of the time. Nairu's love gives a few frames of invincibility to Zelda if i'm correct. (i'm not very technical on stuff I'm not a very good player either. My general glory percent in all modes combined is roughly 25% wins.) Can I expel (counter) out a Zelda who Farore's into me with Nayru's love or Nayru doesn't cover the time for it? And while at it. Can I use Neutral B (Toad) to counter being Farored? One last one. Whe's the minimun damage to effectively Meteor smash with Zelda without a recovery back. (by the enemy). Thank you If anyone selects my questions to ask. I'm in need of the Nayru anti farore one. I don't have any physical friends to test this.
I could be wrong, but I think Nayru's intangibility would protect you (if you timed it perfectly), but in my opinion, it's not worth it. You can just shield Farore's and then punish OoS with pretty much anything lol. Much safer and bigger reward too.

Last edited:

StarForce

Smash Ace
I believe punishing is the best. And faster to put up the shield. But I know it can in the weirdest of moments. And Toad effectively can counter Farore right? Just making sure for mirror matches. I've had some great ones. Some lost some won.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Toad should definitely be able to counter FW2 as long as it's during the counter period. For it to work the Zelda must have already started using FW1, or disappeared. If you do it before, the Zelda could delay it slightly later and hit AFTER toad stops countering.

StarForce

Smash Ace
Yes. I know how Toad works and has given me a few surprises missing due to late input. It's so fast i sometimes don't do it in time if the player uses Farore rarely and not spamming so you never know when it comes. I try to use it rarely to attack. So I can really surprise the opponent. Thank you very much for the help. I'll be back if I have more questions.

StarForce

Smash Ace
BJN! Another question has arrived. I've seen without fail practically all the time than when testing the cpu when launched upwards as Zelda I't tried on curiosity to do Farore from up there to down on the cpu. The only thing I see after the disappearance in the air is a heavy sounding hit and me being launched again or star ko'd because the cpu did a perfect up smash or uptilt. Is thic 0 frame reaction as the cpu reads the player? Is this posible for a human to up smash Zelda like that? Yesterday I tested the cpu again as Rosalina against Palutena on level 9. Frankly the cpu is a troll on 0 frame reactions. I charged Luma like forever and Palutena stood in front of me a few inches away in her idle animation. She did not block nor evade nor did any movement or action. I knew it was waiting for me so at a random time that is I let go of Luma and she perfectly blocked. So with this, is that uptilt up smash thing on farore a cpu only thing or is it possible for a human to do it? It should if the cpu does just a matter of timing but are people capable of it? At least tournament players and winners who are the ultimate in fighting techniques? Also not just from the air but I could be done from any other angly right? The cpu is just waiting for imput to act since you are in the air. Otherwise it would have been impossible to Farore a cpu 9. No one has punished my Farores like the cpu does but I'm concerned it could happen. Is it possible?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
BJN! Another question has arrived. I've seen without fail practically all the time than when testing the cpu when launched upwards as Zelda I't tried on curiosity to do Farore from up there to down on the cpu. The only thing I see after the disappearance in the air is a heavy sounding hit and me being launched again or star ko'd because the cpu did a perfect up smash or uptilt. Is thic 0 frame reaction as the cpu reads the player? Is this posible for a human to up smash Zelda like that? Yesterday I tested the cpu again as Rosalina against Palutena on level 9. Frankly the cpu is a troll on 0 frame reactions. I charged Luma like forever and Palutena stood in front of me a few inches away in her idle animation. She did not block nor evade nor did any movement or action. I knew it was waiting for me so at a random time that is I let go of Luma and she perfectly blocked. So with this, is that uptilt up smash thing on farore a cpu only thing or is it possible for a human to do it? It should if the cpu does just a matter of timing but are people capable of it? At least tournament players and winners who are the ultimate in fighting techniques? Also not just from the air but I could be done from any other angly right? The cpu is just waiting for imput to act since you are in the air. Otherwise it would have been impossible to Farore a cpu 9. No one has punished my Farores like the cpu does but I'm concerned it could happen. Is it possible?
Punishing FW like that is possible by other players though it's difficult to do because Zelda only has a few frames where she is vulnerable just before the hitbox. Players should never be trying to do this because they can shield the hitbox and punish immediately afterwards anyway. Essentially, it's just a reason for you to not FW straight into someone charging an usmash that ought to hit you before your hitbox like multihit usmashes (ZSS, Bowser Jr, etc.).

StarForce

Smash Ace
Thank you. I don't Farore to a charger for that same reason nor from the top to bottom. I guess I can rest that shielding is the best against it. Also not gonna happen to cps. Little perfect trolls. Thank you for the reply. It's great I can come here to clarify questions when they arise. Thank you very much for your time. Be back if something tickles my mind again.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Which of Zelda's customs are usable?
In singles
Nayru's passion - if user has no projectile or relies on rolling
Din's Flare - help forcing an approuch and a faster projectile
Din's Blaze - Combo setups and edgeguardin
Phantom Breaker - great for pressure and poking
Phantim strike - Damage builder with no dead zone

In Doubles
Din's Flare - Annoying poking
Din's Blaze - Stage Control
Farore's Squall - Squall boosting
Both Phantoms - reasons as in singles

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Zelda's all like "BOOM"
I just wanted to let you know I've merged your thread with the Zelda Q/A thread, and please use it in the future if you have any questions regarding Zelda. ^ ^

I can actually answer this sort of as well:

UAir may be slight weaker than it used to be, but it remains among the most powerful UAirs in the game. (as well as having one of the longest vertical ranges for an UAir.)

An UAir can KO Mario off the top at roughly 115-120% with no rage boosts when he's pretty close to the ground. He's rather mid-weight or slightly on the heavier side of the spectrum.

Mentally adding somewhere between 1-20% depending on how close in weight the opponent Mario is should do the trick. (Example: 130% ish for bowser, and 100% ish for Jigglypuff.)

Also keep note of both how high on the screen you hit with it, and the rage mechanic, which will allow you to kill even earlier. It's pretty powerful!

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I just wanted to let you know I've merged your thread with the Zelda Q/A thread, and please use it in the future if you have any questions regarding Zelda. ^ ^

I can actually answer this sort of as well:

UAir may be slight weaker than it used to be, but it remains among the most powerful UAirs in the game. (as well as having one of the longest vertical ranges for an UAir.)

An UAir can KO Mario off the top at roughly 115-120% with no rage boosts when he's pretty close to the ground. He's rather mid-weight or slightly on the heavier side of the spectrum.

Mentally adding somewhere between 1-20% depending on how close in weight the opponent Mario is should do the trick. (Example: 130% ish for bowser, and 100% ish for Jigglypuff.)

Also keep note of both how high on the screen you hit with it, and the rage mechanic, which will allow you to kill even earlier. It's pretty powerful!
Yes, this so much. Sure, it doesn't kill at 70% anymore, but it's still strong. We can even combo into it now starting at like 30% if they DI wrong (and A LOT of people I play DI it wrong. Yes, even non-Roll Glory players). That's 6+15 for a 21% combo that you can do at almost any percent. Plus if they actually learn to DI the throw, you can just nair or bair them instead. Sometimes I can even get bair to true combo (according to training).

Tl:dr Uair is NOT bad. :)

StarForce

Smash Ace
Yet another question tickled my head. Can Zelda be grabbed while Din dashing on the ground? I've wondered about this since she's at ground level while floating before she actually touches the ground unless grabbing is only possible when the grabber has their feet on the ground and is independent if Zelda has feet on the ground or is hovering centimeters from the ground. Of course it does not include grab attacks like Ganon's and Falcon's.

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Just saw that this thread exists, haha.

I love my title, intentional or not. :3

Yet another question tickled my head. Can Zelda be grabbed while Din dashing on the ground? I've wondered about this since she's at ground level while floating before she actually touches the ground unless grabbing is only possible when the grabber has their feet on the ground and is independent if Zelda has feet on the ground or is hovering centimeters from the ground. Of course it does not include grab attacks like Ganon's and Falcon's.
I'm not entirely sure if I completely understand the question asked, but when Zelda is using Din's Fire in the air, she can still be grabbed by an opponent. She's floating, yes, but it doesn't make her invincible.

Imagine if that were to be the case--

StarForce

Smash Ace
Thank you. I have my controls set as jump with X or Y and special attacks are B and regulars are A. I can slide input Xa and I'll get a small hop tilt or if directional i'll get a low ground distance lightning kick. With this I can also press Y+B or slide input Yb and I'll get a Din's fire that is aerial but on the ground meaning she skates on the floor in the direction you press (dashing) Since if no matter you dash Forward or backward and press the special button you get a standing din's fire in place. In my case pressing while dashing in any of those directions the special button plus any jump button (in my case Y cause B is set as special) or slide imputing it gives me a skating din's fire were she throws it and advances towards the opponent for a few seconds. The dress actually skips around the surface so she looks like she's skating as you are doing Din's automatically cancelling the jump so she locks in whatever height she is after initiating the cast. This classifies by the game that she is in the air as Din's cast animation is that of air not the ground one. So I was asking if opponents can grab so long they are on ground to perform the grab animation or the grabbed character needs to be on the ground to be grabbed in this case as the game threats it Zelda is on air while on the ground. It's a minor gimmick but anything that bothers me I ask. Better to know than be sorry whetever it's safe or not. Anything as it's moment of use at a specific time.

Last edited:

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Hello, Zelda mains. I am a Mario main, but I play Zelda as a strong secondary. My question is, what are Zelda's options from a grab release on Wario?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
My question is, what are Zelda's options from a grab release on Wario?
Unfortunately, there are no grab release shenanigans for Zelda on Wario in SSB4. :( Even though Wario still suffers some lag after a GR, it's less (iirc) than that of Brawl, and Zelda can't cover the gap quick enough to hit him.

If you manage to score a grab though, there's always still Dthrow > NAir or UAir, or even Uthrow to NAir or UAir can work at very low percent with even more percent reward if the opponent doesn't see it coming.

-Sensei-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sensei544
Thank you for the response. That makes me sad, though. The increased damage on lightning kicks would have made that amazing.

StarForce

Smash Ace
I'm having a bit of problem with ball spin Sonic spammers. They are too fast for me and confuse me a lot :facepalm: What's the best way to stop them mid attack before they hit? I need to have also a jumping solution in case they start evading ground attacks. I don't want to spam Nayru all the time. Air tilts perhaps?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I'm having a bit of problem with ball spin Sonic spammers. They are too fast for me and confuse me a lot :facepalm: What's the best way to stop them mid attack before they hit? I need to have also a jumping solution in case they start evading ground attacks. I don't want to spam Nayru all the time. Air tilts perhaps?
You mentioned Nayru's and that is our best option to stop him mid-spin dash. You can also get him out of spin dash with fsmash and, if timed right, dtilt which should only cancel it if I remember correctly. If he decides to jump over you, I usually just let him because our land traps are great. If you're not able to catch him as he lands (I mean, he is Sonic) then catching him in the air with a nair is probably your next best option. Don't forget that FW is great at catching landings if you learn to time it properly. Just be sure that the opponent doesn't have a second jump available. Granted, this is tricky against Sonic since he can act out of his up-B effectively giving him 3 jumps.

Last edited:

StarForce

Smash Ace
You mentioned Nayru's and that is our best option to stop him mid-spin dash. You can also get him out of spin dash with fsmash and, if timed right, dtilt which should only cancel it if I remember correctly. If he decides to jump over you, I usually just let him because our land traps are great. If you're not able to catch him as he lands (I mean, he is Sonic) then catching him in the air with a nair is probably your next best option. Don't forget that FW is great at catching landings if you learn to time it properly. Just be sure that the opponent doesn't have a second jump available. Granted, this is tricky against Sonic since he can act out of his up-B effectively giving him 3 jumps.
Thank you. He used to jump while I did Nayru to hit me with the down a kick and used side b and neutral b to spin he played like that for a while and confused me I missed all moves and throws I got very frustrated and thew random attacks till i lost. I just couldn't.

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
If the opponent gets hit by FW2 when they are at 120%+ given that it was due to the eleveator, no DI will save them. If it's just FW2 alone, then one can DI and survive depending on where on stage they were hit and what character they are using. The less rage on Zelda, the better it is for them.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
What is this phenomenon where I would sometimes glide during the beginning part of Farores Wind? It really messes up my recovery. Does it have something to do with having my second jump?

Top Bottom