• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if the Cut characters were never cut?

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Just some Food For thought what if they were never cut? The Characters Cut Were:
Bowser
Peach
Wario
Dedede
Mew
Mewtwo
Toad
James Bond
Banjo and Kazooie
Ganondorf
Meowth
I'd Be down with Toad And Mew But James Bond? Eh I dunno Sure its the Rare Depiction of him but I dunno I'm not sure whether Nintendo would agree to a Character with a Gun Sure Snake had them but only explosives.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
When did Sakurai consider RARE characters?
You know that Sakurai couldn't use 3rd party characters?

I got this out of smash bros wikia:

''Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede were originally planned to be playable, being scrapped due to a lack of development time.[2] It is believed that Pit, Wario, Princess Peach, and Meowth were also considered at some point, though this has considerably less evidence.''

Toad and Mew weren't considered, it would be character overkill because there are already alot of Pokemon and Mario characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Rare was second-party at the time. Hell, HAL's second-party themselves.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
These characters were all listed as the top characters voted by fans for Melee (EDIT: listed on Nintendo.co.jp), and Sakurai said that Dedede, Bowser, and Mewtwo were planned for the original. He never mentioned anyone else on the list.

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Some characters he mentioned were rumored, but the rest were just fake.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
What if chocolate fell from the sky and turned people into chocolate on contact? What if aliens started entering the Olympics and started dashing around the track, beating our best players in sprinting with only backflips? What if the president was a half alien-half lizard mongoloid sewer mutant with an evil agenda to bring his race to the top?

See how silly you look asking 'what ifs?' The obvious answer to your What If, is, those characters would be in the game and influence the game more than if they were not in the game at all.

MrTea

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0189-8820-9279
James Bond would be hilarious in smash methinks

Like wicked out of place way beyond Snake levels

Meowth would be the **** tho

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
In any case, most of the cut characters would be pretty bad anyways, as Smash 64 is a combo based game and characters like Bowser would suffer even more than they already do.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
would be different but also is samus really that bad in this game she never seemed that bad

_Chrome

Smash Ace
would be different but also is samus really that bad in this game she never seemed that bad
Samus is absolutely horrible. She has the least combos out of all characters, she has a poor recovery, and a terrible grab game (though the throws are good). Her only really good move is bair. And maybe dair, because its sweet.

kunimitsu877

Smash Apprentice
Samus is absolutely horrible. She has the least combos out of all characters, she has a poor recovery, and a terrible grab game (though the throws are good). Her only really good move is bair. And maybe dair, because its sweet.
i see yeah sorry when i played it i was good with her guess i didn't really notice these things for the most part i disagree with tier lists for being hugely inaccurate(mostly since pichu is terrible in melee but according to melee zeldas better than mewtwo roy and game and watch)

_Chrome

Smash Ace
i see yeah sorry when i played it i was good with her guess i didn't really notice these things for the most part i disagree with tier lists for being hugely inaccurate(mostly since pichu is terrible in melee but according to melee zeldas better than mewtwo roy and game and watch)
Yeah my bro plays a mean Samus in all iterations of Smash, so that's why I know stuff about the character.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Looking back 12 characters really isn't a lot and it would've been nice to have seen at least a few more. I would've definitely used Mewtwo in Smash 64 if he were in it.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Also I think Dedede, Bowser, and Mewtwo would've been the only three needed to fluff out the roster a bit. Nobody else would've been necessary.

D

Deleted member

I have always wanted BK in smash bros, unfortunately it will most likely never happen
There are things that give me hope yet. Like the fact that probably no one during the era of the SEGA - Nintendo rivalry would have expected Sonic to be featured in arguably Nintendo's biggest franchise, let alone on a Nintendo console at all.

Then there's the fact that Microsoft hasn't really been gaining much from their Xbox endeavors. Maybe one day they'll drop out, or otherwise sell the rights to Banjo back to Nintendo (since they're totally capitalizing on that IP...), and then we'll finally get Banjo/Kazooie in Smash.

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
Thank God that meowth never made it into smash. If the talking meowth from the anime made it in, It would be so annoying. Meowth and team rocket's extremely repetitive and boring appearances in every anime episode is what ruined the anime. But any of the other NINTENDO characters would have been cool. Would be funny to see Ganon in the Smash 64 graphics.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Thank God that meowth never made it into smash. If the talking meowth from the anime made it in, It would be so annoying. Meowth and team rocket's extremely repetitive and boring appearances in every anime episode is what ruined the anime. But any of the other NINTENDO characters would have been cool. Would be funny to see Ganon in the Smash 64 graphics.
Dude, if Meowth were in Smash Bros with his annoying voice, they would have to make him so bad that no one could take him seriously. Like the Melee Kirby of Smash 64! And Ganondorf in 64... I can just imagine his creepy face on the N64 *shudders*.

P.S. Yes, Team Rocket and Meowth ruined the anime to the point where I stopped watching it. The show became the "failure of the week" for each episode.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Then Mewtwo would have been in Brawl and smash 4's launch and all our stress over him possibly not being in smash 4 would have not existed.

Looking back, his animated portrait woulda looked so cool on the character select screen.....(replacing Jiggly that is)

D

Deleted member

Then Mewtwo would have been in Brawl and smash 4's launch and all our stress over him possibly not being in smash 4 would have not existed.

Looking back, his animated portrait woulda looked so cool on the character select screen.....(replacing Jiggly that is)
I kind of miss those animated portraits from the 64 version. It was certainly easier to tell how alt colors looked on your character.

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
Just some Food For thought what if they were never cut? The Characters Cut Were:
Bowser
Peach
Wario
Dedede
Mew
Mewtwo
Toad
James Bond
Banjo and Kazooie
Ganondorf
Meowth
I'd Be down with Toad And Mew But James Bond? Eh I dunno Sure its the Rare Depiction of him but I dunno I'm not sure whether Nintendo would agree to a Character with a Gun Sure Snake had them but only explosives.
Well, let's see. If all of these characters would have been in 64, then I'd guess that they would be in melee, and beyond (besides B&K :/). I could see some characters being cut from the later games, like Lucario and Shulk. Melee could have been drastically different than it is now because Sakurai would have had to add the "Original 25/26" instead of tweaking the game to make it perfect. Maybe Xbox/PS would have died out, idk. Speculation, mostly.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
No, dedede mewtwo and bowser
Yo these guys look so legit though. :D Thanks for the pics.

What I heard was that there was a glitch with rendering Pit's wings, and so he was scrapped. Is this a complete rumour, or...?

Last edited:

Frededish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Frededish.
3DS FC
1650-2628-3264
Yo these guys look so legit though. :D Thanks for the pics.

What I heard was that there was a glitch with rendering Pit's wings, and so he was scrapped. Is this a complete rumour, or...?
I doubt Sakurai would have given up that easily x)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Well we didn't get no Banjo and Kazooie, but we did get Duck Hutn DOg with a Banjo&Kazooie-esque recolor. Nintendo knows what we want.

But hey, that's just a theory. A GAME THEOR-

Oh yeah, Meowth and Toad woulda been my mains.

Top Bottom