• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if SSB Started on the Gamecube Thread?

Pupp135

Smash Lord
After watching davidvkimball davidvkimball ’s video on what would happen if SSB started on the Gamecube, I wanted to make a thread on you would‘ve approached this situation.

Here are the following assumptions/rules based on what I thought would be realistic:
  • Game development restarts in 1999, we’ll assume there is a pause or a temporary cancellation like Mother 3.
  • As this starts in 1999, and we have no content to work with, you are only allowed 16 unique fighters. Also, you’re allowed to have up to four model swap characters (could be a full clone like Pichu or a semiclone like 64 Jigglypuff).
  • With this being the first entry, characters with copyright hurdles/grey area (Diddy, Rare cast, and third parties) are excluded.
  • If you’d like, feel free to add stage selection, game modes, items, and how the sequels (all third parties allowed after) would’ve gone.
For this, I’ll have my version of Gamecube SSB content posted and then update for the Wii, Wii U/3DS, and Switch ones.

My roster:
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsheik:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultsamus::ultmarth::ultkirby::ultfox::ultness: :ulticeclimbers:
:ultluigi::ultroy::ultfalco::ultpichu:
I kept the canon starting eight as most of them were highly relevant at this time, and Samus is historically siginificant for being one of the first mainstream female protagonists in gaming.
From the cut 64 characters, and Bowser, Marth, and Mewtwo join like they did in Melee. Bowser is the gaming villain, Marth would be a way to introduce Fire Emblem overseas, and Pokemania was happening at this point, and Mewtwo’s movie was relevant in this period.
I think I’d initially add Lucas because of Earthbound 64, but he’d change into Ness mid development.
Wario Land was the other major franchise left to add, so Wario joins.
Peach is Nintendo’s leading woman.
With retrospect, Sheik is an odd choice, but I’ll explain why I chose Sheik over Zelda and Ganondorf. Sheik is prioritized over Zelda as Sheik was Zelda’s most prominent role at the time. I went with Sheik over Ganondorf just to have something that is not solely safe picks.
In terms of the last fighter, I like the idea of a throwback fighter as I have a lot of major players on the roster at the time (Mario, Bowser, Peach, DK, Link, Zelda as Sheik, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox, Wario, Pikachu, Mewtwo). For the throwback fighter, it’d most likely be Nana/Popo as a solo fighter or Pit. I’ll just go with the Ice Climber as I like hammers and ice, but Pit’s just as viable. Sorry Falcon fans.
In terms of model swap characters, Luigi is incredibly obvious for being the player two character in gaming. I’d be open to adding Roy and Pichu for promoting newer games. For my final one, I think that having Falco seems reasonable as all Star Fox characters would likely play alike, and Falco is the easiest to translate into a clone. Unfortunately, Jigglypuff just doesn’t work out for me.
In terms of secret fighters, I think I’d go with this (ordered): Luigi, Marth, Falco, Samus, Ice Climber, Roy, Bowser, Mewtwo
Requirements:
Luigi: Beat Arcade Mode
Marth: Play vs. Mode with the whole starting cast
Falco: Beat Century Smash
Samus: Beat Target Test with all starting characters
Ice Climber: Beat Board the Platforms with the starting cast
Roy: Beat Arcade Mode as Marth
Bowser: Beat Arcade Mode with the starting cast
Mewtwo: Beat Arcade Mode with Bowser
Mushroom Kingdom
Peach’s Castle
Bowser’s Castle
Kongo Jungle
Hyrule Castle
Clock Town
Brinstar
Archanea
Yoshi’s Story
Green Greens (Dream Land layout)
Great Fox
Wario’s Castle
Onnet
Pokemon Stadium
Goldenrod City
Pokefloats (it’s because of its ease of development)
Icicle Mountain
Duel Zone (Final Destination Layout)
In terms of items, the only items I’ll add are two things that David addressed in his video (assist capsules and smash balls).
Also, in terms of pokeballs, Jigglypuff takes Bellossum‘s spot, and Magikarp replaces Goldeen.
For assist capsules, I think this is a good list: Toad, Lakitu, Dk. Jr, Ganondorf, Skull Kid, Metroid, Caeda, King Dedede, Arwing, Captain Syrup, Jeff, Little Mac, Duck Hunt Dog, R.O.B., Pit, Blue Falcon
I’d unfortunately drop Adventure Mode, but Board the Platforms and Race to Finish are added for open availability.
Classic Mode would work like it does in Melee, except Bowser is the final boss (called Arcade Mode), and All Star stays as is.
For multiplayer, I’d just add a King of the Hill and Deathmatch mode.

SSB “Brawl”:
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy:
:ultlink::ultsheik::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario:
:ultsamus::ultmarth::ultike::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
:ultfox::ultness: :ulticeclimbers::ultpit:
:ultolimar::ultvillager:Isaac:ultsnake::ultsonic:
:ultluigi:Dixie Kong:ultroy::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultpichu:
I don’t think that Brawl‘s development cycle timewise would be that much different as I’d probably have a larger investment in the Kirby series if I was in this position, and Kirby Air Ride would still be a thing. As Melee had two fewer unique veterans, I’ll just drop the roster to 37.
SSB For 3DS/WiiU:

SSB “Ultimate”:

Last edited:
Top Bottom