• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if?: Sonic return wishlist

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
If the Blue Blur does return, what would you like Nintendo to change? Nerfs and Buffs can be discussed.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
First thing that comes to mind is that I'm primarily concerned about them removing Sonic's mix-up options. By that I mean shield cancelable spindashes. I would like for one of the spindashes, probably side B, to be replaced with something more... unique, but I want to at least keep the shield cancelable properties and stuff of ASC. I feel like that's the only thing about Sonic that makes him half decent other than just his ground speed alone. Also I'd be a little sad if spinshot was gone... cuz all these things were totally mistakes and will most likely be worked out.

Also KO Power or better KO setups would be dope. Make his UpB sweet spot like for real?

:093:

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
First thing that comes to mind is that I'm primarily concerned about them removing Sonic's mix-up options. By that I mean shield cancelable spindashes. I would like for one of the spindashes, probably side B, to be replaced with something more... unique, but I want to at least keep the shield cancelable properties and stuff of ASC. I feel like that's the only thing about Sonic that makes him half decent other than just his ground speed alone. Also I'd be a little sad if spinshot was gone... cuz all these things were totally mistakes and will most likely be worked out.

Also KO Power or better KO setups would be dope. Make his UpB sweet spot like for real?

I really how the do keep the cancelable spindash as his down b and give him something different for his side b. I have always thought about the light speed dash but I don't know how it would work haha. My biggest problem with Sonic is that he seems so weak. Yes, he is a combo beast, yes, he has some great mind games, but what is the point of all that when I can kill KO someone because he lacks the power. I also hope the make him a little heavier or work on the consistency. You don't know how many times I have been KO'd at 75% while a Kirby player with over 100% survives most of the match. Hopefully, Nintendo will get him in there fast ( or he is already in there and they wont tell us) so he isn't just shoe-horned into the game and done justice.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd rather them keep both spins. SideB is crucial to the mixup game that downB has. :applejack:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I really how the do keep the cancelable spindash as his down b and give him something different for his side b. I have always thought about the light speed dash but I don't know how it would work haha. My biggest problem with Sonic is that he seems so weak. Yes, he is a combo beast, yes, he has some great mind games, but what is the point of all that when I can kill KO someone because he lacks the power. I also hope the make him a little heavier or work on the consistency. You don't know how many times I have been KO'd at 75% while a Kirby player with over 100% survives most of the match. Hopefully, Nintendo will get him in there fast ( or he is already in there and they wont tell us) so he isn't just shoe-horned into the game and done justice.
I think Sonic has a solid weight, plus his momentum cancel you can live to pretty high percents with Sonic. Sonic isn't known for being a heavyweight so I doubt they'd go that route, but yes, KO power or reliable KO setups would really be the one thing that would make Sonic shine.

I'd rather them keep both spins. SideB is crucial to the mixup game that downB has. :applejack:

Would I rather they did for the sake of the meta? Yes. Realistically, do I think they'd let that slide again and be lazy with giving him two spindashes? I don't think they will. And even if they do, I still have a sinking feeling they're going to remove the shield canceling abilities and such. That's my biggest fear.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
There are a free things I would love to see changed but the most important one for me right now is his Spin Dash priority. Most likely Down B due to the charging animation. That and the Neutral B (Homing Attack) needs to come out quicker with less landing lag. Playing Project M, I felt as though that's what his Homing Attack should have been. With all the weird angles Sonic shoots out at it is difficult to keep up a proper chain combination.

Personally his Up Tilt needs a serious re-work as well. Maybe a bit more power on that Forward Tilt Does it honestly hit anyone outside of the heavy characters? Barely. Overall Sonic is a pretty good character, very good mix up game, a few flaws in gaining that kill but I welcome him to SSB4.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Make the homing attack ****ing better, first off, and maybe change side b. Better KO power's also good, and preferably a meteor smash. Anything to make him a top tier (but not MK top) is good, but i'm scared a lot of the stuff like spin shot will be gone as that wasn't intentional by Nintendo.

Also, this is pretty small, but i'd like to see more little fan service, such as his d-tilt being the sweep kick from unleashed. Maybe making the dair as fast as it is in colors is too fast, so maybe just change it. Not a big fan of stall-then-fall moves, but I don't "hate" it.

If he ends up being a top tier, I don't think he'll need to rely on mixups or the few strengths he has as much, though I could be wrong. If he isn't a top tier, then unless they can come up with something better (I guess he could have an automatic counter move or some crap, or, though it might not benefit his meta game the Super Peel Out), i'd rather they just keep it as it is.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd rather him be a top tier because of his mixups rather than be one without. Those mixups are what make him so fun to begin with. :applejack:

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
Well personally, i'd say as long as he can win, he'd likely be fun, as the game's just fun as hell in general. I can see what you mean though, but i'd rather he have a different side-b. Mixups are fun though as well imo.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If he ends up being a top tier, I don't think he'll need to rely on mixups or the few strengths he has as much, though I could be wrong.
In these instances I like to think about characters like Ibuki in SF. She's not the perfect example cuz she's not top tier but she's considered to be high tier by many and one of her biggest strengths is her mixup options. High learning curve, but makes for a great and interesting character imo.

I'd rather him be a top tier because of his mixups rather than be one without. Those mixups are what make him so fun to begin with. :applejack:

I agree. I always go back to playing Sonic in this game. I'll try a bunch of other characters and then go back to Sonic and it's just a totally different experience. The mixups are what make him, and I'd be sad to see them gone. Otherwise he's just a blue ball buzzing around the stage.

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
i feel if sonic's homing attack was overall faster in combination with spin charge and his other moves he would still have a pretty good mixup game. IMO he should get that new somersault kick thats from sonic lost world on 3DS as his side b, as thatwould give sonic a projectile even if it wouldn't have much range it would allow sonic to approach easier that or give him that move from sonic battle where he spin and shoots a gust of wind at the opponent.

Also either give him the axe kick from sonic battle as his new fair or allow his dair kick to spike downward during the frames that it would instead send opponents horizontally and make it so on hit he bounces out them. i have even gone as far as to do this myself in brawl via PSA hacks and it just feels like something sakurai could easily do which would allow for him to let sonic keep his dair but give it some unique properties. also faster and safer Nair and quicker startup on dsmash and bair, i've always hated how MK's nair is stronger and faster than sonic's yet MK isnt known for curling up into a ball to hit ppl. Sonic just overall needs faster moves in order to really counter the fact he can't KO ppl. I also wish sonic's animations were inspired more from the original sonic games the only animations they really used were his running, idle, jump, and spring animations. (they could've atleast made it so when sonic drowns he looks like how he drowns in the actual games and also how his walking animation could've been taken from sonic's initial startup running sprite from sonic 3) i just feel sakurai rushed sonic into the game without truly thinking about how to really personify him, although seeing as megaman has been given such close attention to detail hopefully sonic will receive the same level of attention if he returns.

Top Bottom