• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoL What if some of the sub-areas were SSE-like levels?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just as the title says; a lot of people look back on Melee's Adventure mode and SSE with fond memories, hence a lot of complaints that WoL wasn't done in a similar fashion. So, I wanted to do a little experiment where WoL (while still mostly consisting of Spirit Battles on the overworld) has some sub-areas reworked into platforming stages with actual enemies.
  • Fleeting Plains
    • Happens right before you rescue Mario; it's a fairly simple first level with basic enemies
  • Airship
    • Guards the entrance to the Molten Fortress; it's a level with occasional auto-scrolling populated by Mario enemies
  • Gourmet Race
    • A reworked sub-area completely; it's more or less how it is in Super Star, but with a slight twist
      • When you enter it the first time, it's inhabited by Kirby enemies. After clearing it the first time, you can do the actual timed races.
  • Mine Cart Madness
    • Found within DK Jungle; it's more or less how it was in DKC, complete with DKC enemies
  • Planet Zebes
    • Found within the space area; consists of Brinstar and Norfair, respectively, and filled with Metroid enemies and others
  • Ganon's Castle
    • Found within the Sacred Land; similar to Planet Zebes in its design, but functions more closely to a Zelda dungeon (complete with Zelda enemies and others)
  • Dracula's Castle
    • A reworked sub-area completely; basically ripped straight from the game, complete with Castlevania enemies and others
  • Final Battle
    • Two platforming stages replace the first Master and Crazy Hand battles in that area, and the final stretch before Galeem and Dharkon is more of a proper platforming level

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
This would take WoL from underwhelming to pretty great, imo. I hated the map, save for the fact that a few neat areas were made with it. It's clunky to navigate something in the directions it wants when the controls don't lend themselves well to that. Too often, I'd end up going up or down a slide, only to have to wait for the animation of going back up to finish playing, simply because it had been tricky to go in the direction I wanted which would have avoided the slide in the first place. Having SSE-esque sub-areas could potentially cut down on a lot of the map's awkward points.

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Some examples:
  • Lake of Rage = The Lake
  • Tallon Overworld = The Swamp
  • Golden Pyramid = The Ruins
  • Lavender Town = The Ruined Zoo
  • Faron Woods = The Forest
  • Any field/grassland setting = The Plain

Last edited:
Top Bottom