• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What If? (Smash edition)

AlRex

Smash Lord
2. What if 4th Party Characters (Non-Videogame Characters) were accepted in all Smash Games? (Like 64, Melee, Brawl, SSB4 and Ultimate)
This was most likely to happen, if ever, with James Bond in Melee. I feel like Sakurai would still mostly stick with Nintendo/video game characters and pick specific ones that have something to do with video games/Nintendo in a particularly major way. You might see guest characters be treated more like Soul Calibur where they don't all appear in every game since they debut, save for maybe a few obvious ones like Sonic and Mega Man, though. Everyone is Here!" might be harder to pull off.

You wouldn't see them in the first one, because you didn't see anyone besides Nintendo and 2nd parties to Nintendo in Smash 64. Melee, James Bond. Brawl...I don't know who 100% sticks out at the time. Maybe Darth Vader since that also happened with Soul Calibur and Star Wars does have a good amount of video game prominence. 4 Wii U/3DS, maybe Scrooge McDuck, due to the DuckTales remaster. Ultimate would have Goku finally be in after many requests. Maybe Kingdom Hearts would also be much easier to implement properly.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
What if Smash Characters existed as Real character?
(Like in Real Life)
First of all, the Hero’s would kill the villains, imprison them, or turn them good. Then, the Hero’s try to find a way back to their universe. When most of them realize that they can’t leave, they have to adjust to our world. Kirby characters leave because Kirby lets em ride with him on the warp star. Mario characters are olympians, DK characters slaughter the crocs, LOZ characters become criminals for smashing pots, but are never caught and remain vigilantes. Samus stays a bounty hunter, but is in an on/off relationship with falcon. The Pokémon are killed and dissected, except for Mewtwo, who is planning is revenge for his fallen brethren. The spacies are constantly called furries, but join the air force and become top pilots (wolf gets a dishonorable discharge for friendly fire). The PK boys go into an orphanage, and become crime hunting partners. Icies go to the artic and get mauled by a bear. The FE characters join the military as master tacticians, but Roy settles down after turning 27. G&W dies, as he cannot exist in our 3D realm. Kid icarus characters become our gods. Wario sadly dies in an elevator while enjoying his Oreos after the elevator starts falling. Olimar gets squished after a toddler steps on him in the playground. Rob is studied and turned into the worlds most advanced computer by a large margin. Villager can’t win an election and becomes a landlord, and Isabelle joins him. Little Mac is allowed to fight higher weight classes and decimates the competition. However, he wishes for a challenge. Wii fit trainer becomes a fitness trainer (duh). Shulk settles down with bayonetta for a reason neither can understand. Duck hunt dog eats chocolate and the bird gets turned into a juicy meal. Snake serves the military. Sonic sees his online fan art and gets the government to ban sonic r34. Mega man is in the military. Pac-Man is a pro ghost hunter, and becomes very rich. Ryu stays the same as his home series. Ken starts his dojo, but abandones it after his students tried to preform a hadoken while saying shoryuken. Cloud settles down with a woman as a wife and piranha plant as a pet. The Miis become whatever they want too (too many Miis to list, possibly millions). Inkling and banjo are dissected. The belmonts are partners with pac man. Terry starts a dojo, and greatly enjoys his work. Steve is seen as a cringe cosplayer until attacked one day, where he pulled out full enchanted netherite gear with a bow that has flame, infinity, and punch. The subway was painted red. Aegis get jobs at Starbucks at first, but somehow end up becoming the Microsoft CEO the very next week. Joker becomes a professional Smash bros player, the only person who is willing to play smash. Hero joins femboy hooters, but leaves when he goes to his own universe, because the luminary has hax in the form of “the power of the luminary”. The others stay because they don’t have hax, and live together while working at their school for magic.

Last edited:
First of all, the Hero’s would kill the villains, imprison them, or turn them good. Then, the Hero’s try to find a way back to their universe. When most of them realize that they can’t leave, they have to adjust to our world. Kirby characters leave because Kirby lets em ride with him on the warp star. Mario characters are olympians, DK characters slaughter the crocs, LOZ characters become criminals for smashing pots, but are never caught and remain vigilantes. Samus stays a bounty hunter, but is in an on/off relationship with falcon. The Pokémon are killed and dissected, except for Mewtwo, who is planning is revenge for his fallen brethren. The spacies are constantly called furries, but join the air force and become top pilots (wolf gets a dishonorable discharge for friendly fire). The PK boys go into an orphanage, and become crime hunting partners. Icies go to the artic and get mauled by a bear. The FE characters join the military as master tacticians, but Roy settles down after turning 27. G&W dies, as he cannot exist in our 3D realm. Kid icarus characters become our gods. Wario sadly dies in an elevator while enjoying his Oreos after the elevator starts falling. Olimar gets squished after a toddler steps on him in the playground. Rob is studied and turned into the worlds most advanced computer by a large margin. Villager can’t win an election and becomes a landlord, and Isabelle joins him. Little Mac is allowed to fight higher weight classes and decimates the competition. However, he wishes for a challenge. Wii fit trainer becomes a fitness trainer (duh). Shulk settles down with bayonetta for a reason neither can understand. Duck hunt dog eats chocolate and the bird gets turned into a juicy meal. Snake serves the military. Sonic sees his online fan art and gets the government to ban sonic r34. Mega man is in the military. Pac-Man is a pro ghost hunter, and becomes very rich. Ryu stays the same as his home series. Ken starts his dojo, but abandones it after his students tried to preform a hadoken while saying shoryuken. Cloud settles down with a woman as a wife and piranha plant as a pet. The Miis become whatever they want too (too many Miis to list, possibly millions). Inkling and banjo are dissected. The belmonts are partners with pac man. Terry starts a dojo, and greatly enjoys his work. Steve is seen as a cringe cosplayer until attacked one day, where he pulled out full enchanted netherite gear with a bow that has flame, infinity, and punch. The subway was painted red. Aegis get jobs at Starbucks at first, but somehow end up becoming the Microsoft CEO the very next week. Joker becomes a professional Smash bros player, the only person who is willing to play smash. Hero joins femboy hooters, but leaves when he goes to his own universe, because the luminary has hax in the form of “the power of the luminary”. The others stay because they don’t have hax, and live together while working at their school for magic.
Okay, good explanation. Guess that would be weird solution for Smashers existing in Real Life.

...what if Smash as a series remained 1st/2nd party exclusive?
Well, that would be cool, because it would be Called Nintendo All-stars Battle instead of Super Smash Bros, since It would be crossover of Nintendo Characters.
First of all, we didn't need to Add 3rd Parties, but instead implement them as Trophies.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
what if CP11?

fighter __ = __ Ahri ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Master Chief = Mii Gunner
Crash Bandicoot = Mii brawler
Hollow Knight = Mii Sword Fighter

Pupp135

Smash Lord
what if CP11?

fighter __ = __ Ahri ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent

Master Chief = Mii Gunner
Crash Bandicoot = Mii brawler
Hollow Knight = Mii Sword Fighter
I don’t think Ahri would be super controversial since League of Legends is a popular franchise. I think that people would positively react to Hollow Knight and Master Chief being in as Mii costumes if Ahri was announced first.

What if Smash Bros wasn't a game, but it was Animated Sitcom with Nintendo Characters that would act similar to Family Guy, Rick and Morty, Regular Show, etc.?
I’d assume the main cast would probably be Mario characters, Link, and Kirby at the start, but Pikachu, Red, and Villager would become main characters later on. There would also be less important recurring characters like Samus, Chrom, and Fox. In terms of similarities to casting, I’d say Mario is like Bob Beltcher, Wario and Bowser would be like a Peter or Cartman of the show, Peach would be maybe like Marge. Kirby would probably be the foodie of the group. Idk who the Meg would be from this cast.

My what if: What if “Everyone is here“ did not happen in terms of stages, adventure mode, gameplay, and who stayed on the roster?

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
What if Smash Bros wasn't a game, but it was Animated Sitcom with Nintendo Characters that would act similar to Family Guy, Rick and Morty, Regular Show, etc.?
The villains would be the protagonists and have to deal with the Hero’s bullying them. The main protagonist would be kazuya, and the antagonist would be Palutena.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if Elma was revealed as the last first party newcomer for Smash 4 instead of Corrin?

I honestly think that may have been the better choice as Fates was only available in Japan when Corrin was revealed and wouldn’t be out in the west for several more months. Xenoblade Chronicles X, however, released in the west a few days after 4’s final presentation and Elma could have been promotion to get people to buy it more. Plus, X is a discernibly less… controversial game than Fates overall.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
What if Instead of Mario vs Kirby as the first fight in brawl its Mario vs Sonic

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
What If...the group that was meant to take on development of The Subspace Emissary hadn't abruptly backed out?

The core Smash team would've been freed up to polish the actual game instead of having to create an extensive story mode at the same time. More bugs and imbalances (looking at you, Meta Knight) could've been caught and fixed before launch. Modes that never saw the light of day could've been part of the final product. Characters who narrowly missed the cut could've made it for real--maybe Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario would've stuck around, maybe more of the Forbidden Seven would've made it, maybe they'd have had enough flexibility for Krystal to get in (while in our timeline they chose Wolf instead, because they were pressed for time and he was the easier of the two to make).

That last choice could've had repercussions on Star Fox's future as well. Maybe having one of its newer characters in such a prominent spot would've let the series do more than retrace 64's steps for the past ten years...

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What if the "Forbidden 7" characters that were found coded in Super Smash Bros. Brawl became playable characters?

This is related to the unused data found within Brawl that include Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, Plusle and Minun (speculated) and Dixie Kong. If there were DLC implemented at that time, they would had been likely candidates.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
What if dragonball was concived as a Nintendo Franchise that bacame as big as Zelda/mario?
My answer:
The first game has to pull from stuff till saiyan arc
Using Powerpole, kamehame has and after image technique
With makafushigi adventure playing (would be the dragonabll main theme in this reality)
Meele pulls from everything till the end of freeza
Everything returns
Similar to zelda db would always get kid goku in games (cus dragonballs first half wouldnt be ignored)
Popular cahr that was important during most of What if db and always player 2
Is used as the villain rep because Vegeta is still too new for sakurai
has Chala head cahla Playing
Has mezase tenkaiochi Playing (or a remix of makafushigi adventure)
In Brawl The entirty of dbz Already exists:
Kid Goku and Classic Tournament Are cut A lot of people are sad about this
is added and brings hype
Goku gets spirit bomb, kuririn gets a giant kame hame ha and piccolo gets special beam canon as final Smashes
The Dbz Tournament arena is added
Smash 4 has gt to pull from
Gets brought in as the new Kid Goku
Controversial choice has a similar vibe As the whole shiek is in instread of impa situation!

And finnaly Ultimate has Super (pre morro) to pull from
Kid goku rverses back to his meele/ Classic db Design and classic tournament gets added replacing the z variant
Beerus gets added
because of his recent resaurgance freeza gets added
gets added

Pupp135

Smash Lord
What if the "Forbidden 7" characters that were found coded in Super Smash Bros. Brawl became playable characters?

This is related to the unused data found within Brawl that include Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, Plusle and Minun (speculated) and Dixie Kong. If there were DLC implemented at that time, they would had been likely candidates.
I guess if the Forbidden 7 were added, I’d assume that Dixie is a Diddy semiclone since the tag-team mechanic was too taxing on the Wii. For SSBFor, I think Mewtwo would’ve been in the base game just like Dr. Mario, which might push Bowser Jr. to base game DLC. I’d like to say that Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, Dixie Kong, and whatever Prai Mai is (I think it’s just the random icon, but we don’t know) would appear in For, they’d probably be cut and then return to Ultimate since they feel like low priority options, which might lead to the delay of or even removal of a couple of Ultimate newcomers.

What if Melee did not have its clones added, so the roster is only 20 fighters (includes Sheik)?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What If...?

Brawl was never delayed for Sonic?

For one I know we'd probably have the "Forbidden 7" and how the roster could have likely been in Sm4sh and Ultimate for that matter.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
  • What if Sora was CP5 instead of Byleth, and Dr. Eggman was CP11?
  • What if Infinite Azure was the stage for Kazuya's Challenger Pack instead of Mishima Dojo?
While I’d prefer Byleth over Eggman, overall reception of the Fighter Passes would be better, but I still think Fire Emblem complaints would still exist though since there still 7 fighters.

Both stages sound interesting enough for me to buy. I’d still assume an overall positive reaction if Infinite Azure was added.

I’ll bring back my previous what if for anyone who wants to respond to it in addition to a different one.

What if Melee did not have its clones added, so the roster is only 20 fighters (includes Sheik)?

Melee to Brawl: Pichu and Young Link were irrelevant during Brawl’s development, and it would probably stay that way. I would assume Roy would’ve never been planned since Ike was the most recent fighter. I could see Dr. Mario being considered for an alt or a last minute character who does get cut. For Ganondorf and Falco, I’d assume they’d still make the cut since I think Falco would’ve still been relevant enough, and Ganondorf is Nintendo‘s second biggest villain. As Ganondorf would’ve been unique, it probably would’ve meant that a unique fighter would’ve been cut, and I’m leaning towards Olimar or Lucario because they were the least prominent in Subspace’s plot. For Falco, I feel comfortable saying that he would’ve taken Wolf’s spot as side characters tend to get added before antagonists. From the vacant spots from Ganondorf and Falco’s original spots, there would either stay vacant, or Toon Zelda would get added if time permits. Because the clone spots would probably just take up a small amount of resources, Mewtwo would still miss the cut,
Brawl to For: In this case, Lucario or Olimar was cut in Brawl. if it was Olimar, there is a chance that he’d take Bowser Jr.’s spot, but if Lucario missed the cut, then it would stay out of the roster. If Toon Zelda made the cut before, she’d probably be low priority and be cut for this entry. In terms of clones, I think Dr. Mario would still make the cut since he’s really easy to make, and Nintendo likes putting variants of Mario in spinoffs.
For to Ultimate: Since Wolf, Pichu, Young Link, Roy, one of Lucario/Olimar/Bowser Jr. would’ve not existed, I assume that Alph would’ve made the cut, and there might be additional updates to a few characters.

What if transformations never existed in the series?
Melee: Since Sheik was sort of meant to give Zelda as a way to stand out as a character, I assume that both Sheik and Zelda would’ve been cut for the more requested Wario and Ganondorf. Since Ganondorf was added as a unique fighter, we may or may not have an extra clone, and if there was, it’d probably be Daisy since she was an alt of Peach.
Brawl: Since Wario would’ve been in Melee’s roster, I feel that Zelda would’ve more or less taken Wario’s spot. If the transformation gimmicks are gone, I’m confident that Ivysaur and Squirtle would’ve never been added, but Charizard’s popularity would’ve kept it on the roster. I’m 50-50 on if Zero Suit would’ve been added since the transformation gimmick was a big reason for her inclusion, but she also filled the Metroid and female quota (I guess Zelda also fills the latter one). I could see Mewtwo staying since the time from Ivysaur and Squirtle could be used to remake Mewtwo from scratch. Since I think that Sakurai thinks that the Pokemon Trainer is an important character, I could see him adding the trainer still. Overall, I’ll say that Zelda is a newcomer, Pokemon Trainer is their own fighter, Mewtwo returns, and Zero Suit and Charizard are like their For versions. For clone Ganondorf’s vacancy, I’d assume that Daisy (if she made it in Melee) or Toon Zelda would fill that niche.
Brawl to For: Since only 33 veterans initally returned from Brawl, I’d still assume that Lucas, Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake would’ve still been cut. For the other cuts, I’ll arbitrarily say that Zero Suit becomes DLC along with Bowser Jr. Otherwise, there wouldn’t be too many changes.
For to Ultimate: Ice Climbers, Wolf, and Snake would return along with Young Link and Pichu. I’ll say that Alph is added as an echo, and if Daisy was already added, I could see Zelda getting her own clone.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord

What if transformations never existed in the series?
Then I highly doubt Pichu, Young Link, Doc, and Roy would have ever been included. While a lot of these characters have grown on me over the years, I don’t think that they’re a huge loss. In fact, the lack of Roy might make people complain about FE a lot less in the future. Falco might lose his chance entirely, as both Krystal and Wolf would probably have a better shot for Brawl. While I like Falco, this wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

The best part about this would be Ganondorf. He’d almost definitely be added to Brawl with a completely unique moveset that takes influence from OoT and TP. Aside from the loss of Falco, I don’t think this would be a very negative What If? scenario.
———
I’d be cool without transformations. I’ve always felt the separation of Sheik and ZSS was a positive change. I do like PT, but I always wondered how much development time would have been saved without him. Like, could we have potentially gotten three completely unique characters instead?

My favorite transformation characters would have to be Pyra and Mythra. However, I’d be just as happy if Mythra was an echo fighter with her own slot.
———
What if Donald Duck and Goofy were included in Sora’s moveset, with Mickey Mouse, Aladdin, and other Disney characters appearing as Spirits and stage cameos?

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Then I highly doubt Pichu, Young Link, Doc, and Roy would have ever been included. While a lot of these characters have grown on me over the years, I don’t think that they’re a huge loss. In fact, the lack of Roy might make people complain about FE a lot less in the future. Falco might lose his chance entirely, as both Krystal and Wolf would probably have a better shot for Brawl. While I like Falco, this wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

The best part about this would be Ganondorf. He’d almost definitely be added to Brawl with a completely unique moveset that takes influence from OoT and TP. Aside from the loss of Falco, I don’t think this would be a very negative What If? scenario.
Falco was added to Melee over Wolf because of his popularity. Since there wasn't enough time to add Krystal in Brawl, perhaps Falco could receive a similar treatment to Wolf and get added as a pseudo-clone.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
What if Donald Duck and Goofy were included in Sora’s moveset, with Mickey Mouse, Aladdin, and other Disney characters appearing as Spirits and stage cameos?
While it would be interesting to see, I feel that arguments about non-video game characters will escalate. I still don’t think that non-video game characters would be playable, but I could see a bigger demand for them.

What if Smash Bros. made crossover with Newgrounds/Behemoth/Innersloth?
I’m unsure what the general reaction would be, but I‘d be open to it.

Two more what ifs, and they’re closely related:

What if SSB For only had a 3DS version?
What if SSB For only had a WiiU version?
For both versions: I’d assume both versions would try to cram in stages and trophies that appeared in the other version, but the Wii U would probably end up with more of these overall since it has more processing power.
3DS version only: Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, and Squirtle would still miss the cut due to processing limitations. Since there is no Wii U version, things like Master and Crazy Orders and Smash Tour would probably be never added. In terms of character additions, I could see Mewtwo, Wolf, and Lucas getting in on base game, and we might’ve gotten another DLC character as a newcomer, so we’d have 60 fighters in this case. While there would be a few more fighters, the Switch entry will probably be a “reboot” since new models will have to be made from scratch. From this version, I’d expect the original 8, Luigi, Ness, Falcon, Peach, Bowser, Zelda, Marth, Ganondorf, Wario, Pit, Charizard, Sonic, Villager, Mii Fighters, and Shulk to safely return, and Jigglypuff and Toon Link are added last minute. In addition to these characters, I could see Ice Climbers, Inkling, Ridley, Isabelle, ans maybe Ivysaur and Squirtle return. In addition to this, most stages would be new, and there might be a different type of Adventure Mode and a new gameplay mechanic.
WiiU only: In this case, we’d probably just see Ice Climbers and a full Pokemon Trainer base game, and we might have had Inkling over Corrin in terms of the roster. For game modes, I’ll probably say that Classic Mode has a different format and maybe a more collaborative Smash Run over Smash Tour. Since there are already HD assets, the sequel would be pretty similar to Ultimate unlike the version that is 3DS only.

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
What If...?

Brawl was never delayed for Sonic?

For one I know we'd probably have the "Forbidden 7" and how the roster could have likely been in Sm4sh and Ultimate for that matter.
I find this an interesting what if that I haven’t speculated about yet. Without the delay, we certainly wouldn’t have seen Lucario, Sonic, and the post-SSE characters. In addition to that, it could’ve been possible that more characters and other content would’ve been cut since there was still a lot to finish before the delay.
When going into For, I’d feel confident that we would’ve gotten Sonic since he was one of the biggest requests. Also, I could see Jigglypuff and Toon Link being added in For since they were easy to add, and I’m sure people would complain about losing an SSB64 character back in Brawl. Since Lucario would’ve never been added, the development time for its return could’ve gone to adding Sonic. Maybe there could’ve been enough development time for Alph, but I’m unsure.
For Ultimate, I’ll just say that Alph gets added as a way to stay conservative about time constraints.

• What if BWD got in instead of Piranha Plant?
  • What if Fighters Pass Vol. 1 also had 6 fighters, and they were
    • Joker
    • Hero
    • Banjo & Kazooie
    • Sora
    • Terry
    • Phoenix Wright
  • And Vol. 2 was
    • Min Min
    • Dr. Eggman
    • Sephiroth
    • Pyra/Mythra
    • Kazuya
    • Steve
I feel that this DLC set would have an overall positive reaction since it also adds Eggman and Phoenix Wright. I’d be a little disappointed with no Byleth, but I’d still be happy to see Sora, Sephiroth, and Pyra/Mythra.

What if 6 player battles were allowed in Melee and Brawl?
I’d assume that we might have had a mode cut from these games (I’ll with Tourney and Rotation). Also, I’d assume that only specific stages from each game would be allowed (For Melee, I’ll go with Princess Peach’s Castle, Mushroom Kingdom, Kongo Falls, Temple, Brinstar Deph’s, Yoshi’s Island, Corneria, Venom, Pokemon Stadium, Onett, Fourside, Icicle Mountain, Kongo Jungle, and Super Happy Tree) (For Brawl, I’ll guess Luigi’s Mansion, Figure 8 Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Norfair, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium (both versions), New Pork City, Summit, Distant Planet, Hannenbow, Mario Bros., 75m, Temple, Yoshi‘s Island Melee, Corneria, Onett). For the 3DS version, we might’ve gotten a 5P smash, but that’s about it since it seems that the 3DS can only hold 5 players per battle going off of mob smash.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if we got one last Indie Mii with a song in Sora’s wave - and it was a swordfighter?

who would it be? Kris? The Knight (Hollow Knight)? Hat Kid? Zagreus? Shovel Knight to double as an AT-to-Mii thing as well like with Squid Sisters and Bomberman?

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
What if we got one last Indie Mii with a song in Sora’s wave - and it was a swordfighter?

who would it be? Kris? The Knight (Hollow Knight)? Hat Kid? Zagreus? Shovel Knight to double as an AT-to-Mii thing as well like with Squid Sisters and Bomberman?
Personally... I think it could honestly be Candyman from the Lethal League series. (Though I'd much prefer him as a fighter.)
1634073498291.png

What if Smash Bros. was cancelled - but was replaced with another genre using various Nintendo properties, and carrying on the Smash Bros. name?

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
What if Smash Bros. was cancelled - but was replaced with another genre using various Nintendo properties, and carrying on the Smash Bros. name?
I’ve actually wanted an RPG based off of Smash for awhile now, so I’d be down for that. Closest I’ll be able to come is probably if somebody decides to make a Pokémon romhack based off of Smash characters, like that Fire Red Dragon Ball Z romhack.

What if Smash Bros. had a trading card game?

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
What If...the group that was meant to take on development of The Subspace Emissary hadn't abruptly backed out?

The core Smash team would've been freed up to polish the actual game instead of having to create an extensive story mode at the same time. More bugs and imbalances (looking at you, Meta Knight) could've been caught and fixed before launch. Modes that never saw the light of day could've been part of the final product. Characters who narrowly missed the cut could've made it for real--maybe Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario would've stuck around, maybe more of the Forbidden Seven would've made it, maybe they'd have had enough flexibility for Krystal to get in (while in our timeline they chose Wolf instead, because they were pressed for time and he was the easier of the two to make).

That last choice could've had repercussions on Star Fox's future as well. Maybe having one of its newer characters in such a prominent spot would've let the series do more than retrace 64's steps for the past ten years...
As much as I love Brawl, I would've preferred this.

Top Bottom