• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if Melee had LESS development time?

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium

MY TAKE:

Jigglypuff already would have been replaced with Mewtwo in Smash 64
Ness is still kept due to MOTHER 3's developmental difficulties

The newcomers as follow:

Peach
Bowser
Zelda (no Sheik)
King Dedede
Marth
Ryota Hayami (as a Captain Falcon clone serving as an advertisement for Wave Race: Blue Storm)

The roster would appear like this ingame:

ROW 1:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Yoshi
Donkey Kong

ROW 2:

Link
Zelda
Kirby
King Dedede
Pikachu
Mewtwo

ROW 3:

Samus
Fox
Captain Falcon
Ness
Marth
Ryota

Pupp135

Smash Lord
This feels like a fun challenge.
Here’s my roster and stage list:

Roster:
:mariomelee::luigimelee::peachmelee::bowsermelee::dkmelee::yoshimelee:
:linkmelee::zeldamelee::samusmelee::falconmelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee:
:pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee::mewtwomelee::nessmelee::marthmelee::gawmelee:
Reasons:
From the SSB64 cast, it seems that Ness and Jigglypuff would’ve been the only ones in danger, but as Mother 3 gets cancelled, and Jigglypuff is easy to develop compared to other fighters, so I might as well bring back everyone.
Bowser and Peach led the poll and are probably the two most prominent characters missing from 64, so I’d definitely add them.
Pokemon and OoT were huge, so something is getting added from them. I’d probably go with Mewtwo and Zelda as Mewtwo led the poll, and Zelda can reuse Peach‘s assets. I’d prefer a transforming Zelda, but I don’t know if there’s time for that as this version of Melee is even more rushed,
I’d want to introduce Fire Emblem to the West, so Marth joins.
Ice Climbers are my favorite retro from a gameplay perspective, but they’re probably too difficult to develop. To save time, I’d have Mr. Game & Watch as the last newcomer.
While Roy and Ganondorf wouldn’t make it, I shouldn’t rule out the possibility of the other clones making it, but I’ll ignore them in this timeline.
I guess if I was just doing 18 slots without the concern for time constraints, I’d probably just take Melee’s starting cast and tack on Luigi, Jigglypuff, and Marth.
I originally had a unique Ganondorf over a standalone Zelda, and Ice Climbers over Mr. Game & Watch. Also, I previously cut Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff.

Stages:
Princess Peach’s Castle
Bowser’s Castle
Oil Drum Alley
Gangplank Galleon
Great Bay
Pyramid of Power
Crateria
Yoshi’s Story
Fountain of Dreams
Corneria (Lylat Layout)
Pokemon Stadium
Goldenrod City
Onett
Archanea
Game & Watch
Final Destination
Battlefield

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Surprised i didnt already participate in this thread.

Overall if we are looking at 16ish fighters can agree Mewtwo may be prioritized over Jigglypuff & the team may not have time to swap Ness & Lucas with Earthbound 64s dev troubles leading to 2 cuts from 64.

Besides that think our starting 4 newcomers in Melee would be priority but i do question if mechanics like Ice Climbers or Sheik would have made it but i know nothing about game dev & how doable these unique gimmicks were. Maybe G&W or one of the other mentioned retro considerations would replace Ice Climbers. Idk still dont imagine Fire Emblem being priority so maybe 1 or 2 echoes/clones could replace Sheik (Falco & Pichu or Young Link)

As for stages i think our main series would all still see 1 new stage but maybe we would see more if not all n64 stages ported & even no change to Battlefield/Final Destination but once again i dont know how feasible that is.

1. Yoshis Island
  2. Temple
  3. Green Greens
  4. Pokemon Stadium
  5. Corneria (Venom layout)
  6. Brinstar (Depths layout)
  7. Mute City (Big Blue layout)
  8. Onett
  9. Battlefield 64
  10. Final Destination 64
  11. Peachs Castle
  12. Hyrule Castle
  13. Dream Land
  14. Planet Zebes
  15. Sector Z
  16. Kongo Jungle
  17. Yoshis Island 64

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
:luigimelee::mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::falconmelee:
:nessmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee:

:bowsermelee::dedede::mewtwomelee::marthmelee::peachmelee::zeldamelee: + :sheikmelee:

My assumption is that, under these more dire time constraints, Sakurai leans on the unused concepts he may have had laying around from the previous game - Bowser / Dedede / Mewtwo - alongside Marth, a character who he had previously stated he wanted to add. Peach and Zelda polled successfully, are the next most important characters in Nintendo's two keystone franchises and add extra gender variety to the lineup.

Marth borrows some normals from Link, Zelda borrows some normals from Peach. Sheik is still here because Sakurai likes ninjas. You could switch out Dedede for Ice Climbers if you'd like, but I preferred to try something different instead of limiting it to Melee's existing characters and I feel like they're an especially ambitious undertaking for a game under such crunch. Mr. Game & Watch misses the cut, unfortunately.

Original 12 is brought back, changes are less significant. Jigglypuff barely makes the cut, but was easy enough to keep around given how simple she is to animate. Melee ends up being more like a Smash 64+ than its own fully unique entity, but notable additions like side specials are maintained.

Last edited:

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Melee w/o Marth would be tragic.

However no campaign for "the return of Roy" = no cavalcade of weeb sword fighters = net gain for the series...or at least, with regard to Random pick.

Ike is cool though.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Is welcoming Ike but not Roy, Chrom, Lucina et al such a logical inconsistency.

Roll call, so you got Marth-but-with-aether, whose debut to the series is him reeling on the ground in abject defeat. Cool I want to be just like him. Really Chrom just makes me want custom moves again. Then you got some Marth wannabe, who outclasses the face of FE in every way as potentially a top contender. How did this nobody find their way into my all-star Nintendo fighting game? Why does the up-throw kill? There is zero follow-through in the animation. It looks like a goofy oversight that QA missed.

"Roy's our boy" so I'll give him a pass, sure. If Young Link gets one why not him.

The rest get a point for having unique play mechanics, but c'mon. It'd be nice if they had unique character designs to match. What the heck is a Corrin. And in what way does Byleth visually indicate that they're any kind of a power character. Absolutely nothing. Same with the red chick from Xenoblade Chronicles but 3 times over, it's some tiny diminutive child throwing hands like they're world's strongest. It's World of Warcraft all over again. It's nice having non-FE representation, but that doesn't mean much when you can't tell them apart anyway. Saucer-eye central.

But if the whole roster had this kind of superfluous "echo" rep then that might be cool.

Top Bottom