• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Have We NOT Hacked? The Second Coming

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
Hey; some of you may remember the first one, but I decided to start a new topic on the matter rather than necro-bumping the first. Anyways, as a result of my fluctuating Brawl interest (and the disc drive lens on my Wii being broken thanks to my sister :mad:), I've been out of the Brawl hacking loop for awhile. As a result, I have no idea what can and can't be done anymore. Perhaps this topic can help us see (and then take down) those final hacking barriers! So, would you good people care to enlighten me on what can't, won't be, or hasn't been done? Let's break it down into three categories to make it easy:

[COLLAPSE="Ideas that have been attempted, but can't be done due to problems with the game's engine"]More than 4 fighters in VS. modes[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Ideas that have been attempted, but abandoned or put on hold due to lack of interest or other complications"]A perfect clone engine
STR0
Melee model extractor[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Ideas that haven't been attempted or looked into"]A new PSA-type program that can actually EDIT the files.[/COLLAPSE]

Notable Quotes from this Topic
Have we hacked the items into actually being BALANCED?
Have we hacked enough to drastically alter Subspace Emissary Enemy movesets?
Have we hacked enough to link every Subspace Emissary Map in a gut-wrenching gauntlet?
Have we hacked enough to turn Subspace Emissary into the new Auto-Mario?
Have we made multi-man melee load strictly characters in place of alloys?
Have we hacked coin mode into having characters get healed or something when they pick up money?
Have we hacked enough to make damage ratio determine hitstun in the same way handicap determines buffer?
Have we hacked handicap into becoming a different form of character customization?
Have we hacked SSE into using stamina instead of damage?
Have we hacked the custom controls into compatibility with the controller input constants used in PSA?
Have we fixed that stupid glitch in the controls where B-sticking sometimes makes your character jump? (Or at least it does for me on my Classic Controller)
Have we hacked Pokemon Trainer to use Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and Lucario?

The list can go on, but I'm getting hungry. If any of these things have been done or have been simplified to a "If you can learn PSA, you can learn this" kind of level, please let me know. More or less the things we haven't hacked are things that most people in the competitive scene either don't care about, or don't know exist.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
5,6, and 7 players can't happen due to Brawl's programming, so it should be under "Ideas that have been attempted, but can't be done due to problems with the game's engine"
Really? That sucks. I thought the other players would had to have (a lot of) additional programming for them to use the Wii Remote etc.

What about codec conversations? Snake... Fox/Falco/Wolf...

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Ideas that have been attempted, but abandoned or put on hold due to lack of interest or other complications.

I would say STR0, feels like I am the only who look at it to understand how it works O.o

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I meant it at the topic title. I found it funny because it's not truly "we" in the sense of the community working on something together. For example, the clone engine can't really be worked on by the community for the mostpart because it requires extensive knowledge of PPC ASM and having a USB Gecko.

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
Nobody make a SSBM extractor yet.
And yeah. There is many people who loves SSBM and there is no program for that.

Oh, you guys didn't hacked the Slipslide (unused wi-fi mode) for usage

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
"Ideas that have been attempted, but abandoned or put on hold due to lack of interest or other complications"
BrawlMasquerade.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Very sad BrawlMasquerade was left. Dantarion could have at least released what he was done with (he said he was done with it, the only problem was Wario) for another hacker to fix it with.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
"Ideas that have been attempted, but abandoned or put on hold due to lack of interest or other complications"
BrawlMasquerade.
I read this on the video:

Code:
Just wondering if this project is still underway or if it's been put on hold for the clone engine. XD I've got a ton of costumes prepared and waiting, but I figure if it's going to take months or more to release I might as well just start replacing some of the ones I have now to mix things up. Loving all of the work you've done, Dant. I hope both projects are going smoothly for you and I wish you the best of luck in completing them. Thanks so much ^^ Keep up the amazing hacks.
-secretchaos1, 2 months ago

@secretchaos1 It is coming. Gonna debut it at Anime Expo in Los Angeles to test it out before releasing it to the public.
-dantarionX, 1 month ago
So, maybe it's still under some kind of work. I mean, a month isn't too long ago. Then again, I have no idea if the Anime Expo already happened.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Its done.
However, in its current state, it has hardcoded file paths and no error checking.
Believe it or not, its actually the thing I care about most, otherwise half of my programs would just randomly corrupt peoples files, randomly not work, etc.

I haven't been home and free in a long time, and since my old laptop died, all of my brawl hacking stuff is on my desktop, and ive been in LA/Florida/Vegas and busy a lot since I've been back.

Clone engine progress is dead, but I am taking all my stuff and packaging it up to give to #PMBR.
BrawlMasquerade will eventually be out, although now that I think about it, there is one part I had to do manually for the stuff I brought to AX. Ill just write a guide for that haha.

Ultraxwing

Smash Ace
Well, atleast Dantarion responded. we'll have Brawl Masqerade.

the Clone engine torch is being passed on.

thanks, good to know man, atleast we'll have an epic Costume system =D

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Have we hacked enough to link every Subspace Emissary Map in a gut-wrenching gauntlet?
Have we hacked coin mode into having characters get healed or something when they pick up money?
Have we hacked enough to make damage ratio determine hitstun in the same way handicap determines buffer?
Have we hacked handicap into becoming a different form of character customization?
Have we hacked the custom controls into compatibility with the controller input constants used in PSA?
Have we fixed that stupid glitch in the controls where B-sticking sometimes makes your character jump? (Or at least it does for me on my Classic Controller)

The list can go on, but I'm getting hungry. If any of these things have been done or have been simplified to a "If you can learn PSA, you can learn this" kind of level, please let me know. More or less the things we haven't hacked are things that most people in the competitive scene either don't care about, or don't know exist.

Secretchaos1

Smash Apprentice
Its done.
However, in its current state, it has hardcoded file paths and no error checking.
Believe it or not, its actually the thing I care about most, otherwise half of my programs would just randomly corrupt peoples files, randomly not work, etc.

I haven't been home and free in a long time, and since my old laptop died, all of my brawl hacking stuff is on my desktop, and ive been in LA/Florida/Vegas and busy a lot since I've been back.

Clone engine progress is dead, but I am taking all my stuff and packaging it up to give to #PMBR.
BrawlMasquerade will eventually be out, although now that I think about it, there is one part I had to do manually for the stuff I brought to AX. Ill just write a guide for that haha.
Good to see it wasn't left completely dead, Masquerade has really had me hyped for the longest time.
Something else that's really been bugging me though, did you ever get any sort of thing setup for that Anime Expo? I was really curious to whether or not it went over well, if it even was used at all. I was really hoping I was able to help a bit with that.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
My replies in green.

Cool someone remembers. I can modify hitboxes and stuff but can't add anything to the item files. At the least I can tone them down, which I did for most of the Pokes and ATs.

I can't control item spawning since ItmCommonGen.pac can't be opened in OpenSA, but I can remove the explosions from carrier items at least. :(

Not really. Toomai was doing something like that though.

Not yet.

Nope.

The Multi-man Brawl file is not in common2.pac and I can't find it, so no.

Nope.

Nope.

No.

Not enough info about the SSE files to do that.

I don't quite know.

Not to my knowledge, no.

That's a no-go last time I checked.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Responses to prior post
Mind showing off those "toned down" items, then? You guys seem to love to hack stuff but don't like publicizing it. :l

As for the rest of those questions, I suppose you guys now have your work cut out for you. :bee:

Numbuh 214

Smash Apprentice
CURSES, foiled by my own short attention span AGAIN! Updated the OP with some ideas (one of which being my own) and added Muhznit's quote to it.

pokelover980

Smash Ace

Not really. Toomai was doing something like that though.
I was too. I did make some progress at one point, but lost it all, sadly. I can try and look again if anyone is interested.

Captain Kwark

Smash Apprentice
Result screen names still haven't been found, except on the PAL version in common3_en.pac. However it's not in there on the NTSC version.

Boo Mansion

Smash Apprentice
IIRC... PhantomWings said something about it being possible to add additional stage selection pages, but new modules would have to be created for each page or something like that.

Additional Stage Selection pages could be added to the list.

Also, what about using SSE objects on stages outside of SSE, such as the barrel cannons (mainly for the Kongo Jungle 64 stage).

Maybe porting characters over alloys? Like for example, Roy over Red Alloy.

Top Bottom