• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened to his beautiful fur?

Atem

Smash Cadet
To be fair this is still not the final product but other that that it usually takes a very long time to program hair and the switch had about 2 years compared to the 4 years go smash 4.

Luigi player

Smash Master
It looked pretty weird at first but I'm starting to get used to his new look in the new Smash. It's not terrible I guess. His overall design seems to be better so that's a plus.

I just dislike his "new" uptaunt since he isn't standing upright anymore..

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
It looked pretty weird at first but I'm starting to get used to his new look in the new Smash. It's not terrible I guess. His overall design seems to be better so that's a plus.

I just dislike his "new" uptaunt since he isn't standing upright anymore..
It's better just because of his pissed off face. I love that ****. Looks like he's gonna murder you. My profile pic is how I like my DK

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think it might be due to the Inklings. Speculation on my part but I'm assuming with all characters having models that will be incased in ink textures. I'm assuming this is to help make the textures play nice without looking weird.

Last edited:

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I think it might be due to the Inklings. Speculation on my part but I'm assuming with all characters having models that will be increased in ink textures. I'm assuming this is to help make the textures play nice without looking weird.
that's actually an interesting point I hadn't considered. I wonder how difficult recolouring splotches of that fur texture would be.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I really hated the fur in Smash 4. Looked bad. I'd rather have cartoony fur than fur that tries to be realistic but fails.

D

Deleted member

I used Pink DK in Smash 4 anyway so it doesn't matter much to me how real it looks. But if they really nerfed the fur over some Inklings that's weak :laugh:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Highly doubt it's due to Inklings, I think it's just unfinished. If you look at Diddy Kong's fur, it looks better than DK and in the realistic style. I don't think it's a deliberate design choice to make his fur unrealistic and clay looking. They probably left in like that instead of looking half done or something.

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
Another thing to note is that all screenshots on that particular stage (the Boxing Ring) look especially bad for some reason. DK looks much better here, for example:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
True, that screenshot on the OP doesn't look good. On the reveal trailer he was much visually pleasant.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I'm starting to think they really did nerf his fur and this isn't an early model thing. A lot of the other characters have fur done. That would be pretty lame

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
At this point I think it's safe to say they removed DK's fur. Don't know why. But even in King K. Rools (!!!) trailer, DK doesn't have his fur like he did in the smash 4 trailers

Paint_B

Smash Cadet
I really like his Ultimate model, I always felt his fur looked weird in Smash 4.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Incineroar really makes this even weirder. They look like from completely different games.

(Given everything, I'd still take DK's ultimate model over smash 4, but the fur really could be a lot better.)

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Wth, DK looks awful in the Switch version. I prefer the fur in Smash 4.

Top Bottom