• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What happened on this shieldbreak? [SOLVED]

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
At 1:38 into this video I break this player's shield which pops them up onto the platform, I jump up to the platform, and only a second after the shieldbreak they've suddenly recovered and drop off the platform.

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't seem quite right, considering if you break a shield right at the ledge and they fall off they will stay stunned all the way to the blast zone. Looks like you have to break the shield, have the character land and start the standing stunned animation, then get pushed off a ledge for this to happen.

Arrei

Smash Lord
That doesn't seem quite right, considering if you break a shield right at the ledge and they fall off they will stay stunned all the way to the blast zone. Looks like you have to break the shield, have the character land and start the standing stunned animation, then get pushed off a ledge for this to happen.
That's what he intended to say, yeah. It seems like characters can be pushed off a ledge while they are in any state where they're not firmly standing on the ground, as they can also be shoved off if you run into them while they're bouncing on the ground from failing to tech out of tumble. This has probably just become much easier to accidentally do now that bodies cannot be dashed through.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
So if we had waited for the animation to start proper we could have walked them over the ledge? Have either of you confirmed this?

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
So if we had waited for the animation to start proper we could have walked them over the ledge? Have either of you confirmed this?
I just checked in training and once they stand up while stunned, you can't push them off a platform or ledge at all.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I just checked in training and once they stand up while stunned, you can't push them off a platform or ledge at all.
That's kind of what I thought would be the case, since you can't push someone off an edge by walking into them when they're not stunned anymore.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Once they've gotten up, they're considered firmly standing on the ground, so they can't be pushed off. I'm curious just how many states this applies to, though - for example, opponents can be shoved off while bouncing on the ground or while prone on the ground, but what about during get-ups, whether neutral, rolling, or attacking? How about when slipping from a banana, or sitting on their tush after said banana? Maybe when put to sleep, even?

Last edited:
Top Bottom