• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game Over screens scare you most?

isoldmyname

Smash Cadet
I've always wanted to start this topic!:estatic:
Anyway, which Game Over screens scare you most?
Ironically, Melee's GAAAAAMMMMEE OVVVVEEEERRR freaked me the **** out as a kid. I remember I used to think that Master Hand would chase me down and strangle me while shouting that.
Also the screen for Vectorman 2... Shocked me.
That screen gave me Arachnophobia.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Donkey Kong Country had a surprisingly creepy one: a beat up DK/Diddy looking all sad with really depressing music over everything.

Also, Chrono Trigger's 'The Future Refused to Change' whenever you lost to Lavos.

finalark

SNORLAX
As an adult a game over screen has never scared me. But as a kid this screen made me not want to lose against Lavos:

Plus one of my early gaming experiences with playing Zelda II at my cousin's place in my early childhood. Given that I was a stupid little five year old kid I probably just liked the game because I got to be a guy with a sword who wandered around town and fought monsters. Then I died and this screen scared the **** out of toddler Finalark.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
Sonic CD's game over screen is pretty normal, but that... music...

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
This guy from Shadowgate scared the crap out of me as a kid. I'd watch my older brothers play it from under the covers.

Seeing the Shadowgate game over screen reminds me of Uninvited's skeleton woman; she's the first real obstacle you meet and she scared the hell out of me as a kid. I can't find a good screenshot, but here's a video of her and the game over screen.

Looking back, she's not all that scary, just a bit unnerving... but my 12 or so year old self didn't quite get that.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
The game over screen from Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin always kinda freaked me out.

And so did the screen from The Lion King (SNES version anyway, not sure if it was the same as the Genesis one) when you lose a life. That way Simba just collapses to the ground against a black background was scary to me as a kid.

The game over screen from Rolling Thunder (arcade). It's like Zelda 2's game over screen, but we have a freaking alien ************ laughing at us. And this game was released 2 years before Zelda 2.

Dragonhunter970

Smash Apprentice
NNID
dragonhunter970
3DS FC
3368-2516-8545
As an adult a game over screen has never scared me. But as a kid this screen made me not want to lose against Lavos:

Plus one of my early gaming experiences with playing Zelda II at my cousin's place in my early childhood. Given that I was a stupid little five year old kid I probably just liked the game because I got to be a guy with a sword who wandered around town and fought monsters. Then I died and this screen scared the **** out of toddler Finalark.

Me to with zelda 2

Dragonhunter970

Smash Apprentice
NNID
dragonhunter970
3DS FC
3368-2516-8545
Pikmin 1 bad end ing counts as a game over because the game keeps going after a game over I was always

Thought the dr. Mario game over was scary because I thought the bottle was the upper half of a person so I thought he was dead

Last edited by a moderator:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
The game over screen from Rolling Thunder (arcade). It's like Zelda 2's game over screen, but we have a freaking alien ************ laughing at us. And this game was released 2 years before Zelda 2.
Oh man, that reminds me of Area 51, except it had a soldier turning into an alien before lunging at the screen. That **** literally gave me nightmares as a kid.

Video.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
The ending screens for Metroid Prime and its sequel were pretty freaky.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Yea, the Chrono Trigger game over screen was pretty "scary". I played it as a kid as well so yea, I hated it.

Also on a similar tune, the game over screen for SMT: Strange Journey.

You fail, the whole planet is swallowed by a black hole like thing. No pressure.

I also played Doom 3 as a kid, so the whole game scared me, plus the end screen.

And I agree with @ allison allison , the Metroid Prime game over was freaky. Haven't played Metroid Prime 2, I just wish Nintendo would release an HD trilogy on Wii U.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Donkey Kong Country had a surprisingly creepy one: a beat up DK/Diddy looking all sad with really depressing music over everything.

Also, Chrono Trigger's 'The Future Refused to Change' whenever you lost to Lavos.
I definitely agree with Chrono Trigger! I had to pop in to add the video though, because you're only getting half the experience if you don't have to listen to....that sound.

Also, Majora's Mask had a pretty darn creepy one.

And so did Myst, now that I am thinking of it.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Nothing else comes close.

I can't show what happens to lead up to the "Game Over" screen because it would be a bit too spoilery but this music made the ending that much more terrifying. The siren at :48 still sends a chill up my spine to this day. >.<

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The ending screens for Metroid Prime and its sequel were pretty freaky.
This is actually a really good one I forgot. Especially when you're on a highest difficulty in a swarm of enemies.
Nothing else comes close.

I can't show what happens to lead up to the "Game Over" screen because it would be a bit too spoilery but this music made the ending that much more terrifying. The siren at :48 still sends a chill up my spine to this day. >.<
I love this one. Just because after the first time you get an ending, you're thinking "wtf just happened"

I got Sub ending first which got me intrigued. Then Axe ending next...

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I got the Axe ending first... At 2 in the morning.

I had to sleep with the lights on that night. xD

I was so wrapped up in the story and "saving" myself and everyone else that the ending literally hit me like a ton of bricks when it happened. I spent all night trying to figure out what went wrong in my head. I've never been that bothered by a game before... It was great. xD

Last edited:

Minuy600

Smash Apprentice
In Super Mario World, if Mario dies, you see him with that strange face. That scared the crap out of me as a 4-year old.

Nerf Herder EX

Smash Rookie
When I was a kid I use to play this computer game called 3D Dinosaur Adventure. It was an educational game with a bunch of mini games and one of those mini games was called "Save the Dinosaurs!". The objective is to save all the dinosaurs you can before a comet hits the Earth causing a mass extinction. If you lose, you are treated to the image of a mushroom cloud juxtaposed against a blood red sky and the horrible news that all the dinosaurs are dead thanks to you. That's pretty heavy stuff for a four year old to process.

Last edited:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Not 'scary', but still very much the one I did want to see the least was Banjo Kazooie. Watching your sister get transformed into the Hulk was not what I wanted.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not 'scary', but still very much the one I did want to see the least was Banjo Kazooie. Watching your sister get transformed into the Hulk was not what I wanted.
I always hated how you got that same cut scene even if you were just quitting the game. It felt like the game was punishing you whenever you wanted to go to bed.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Doesn't it feel like there are two different laughs tho?
Yeah,one sounds almost like a woman.Maybe one of them is Metal Sonic?

Chrono Trigger's is definitely up there as one of them.When I saw it I was old enough to not be scared,in fact I loved it.But it's definitely ominous.
Majora's Mask is pretty great too.Not the normal one,but the End of the Three Days.Somehow,the Happy Mask Salesman's line and laugh makes it more creepy.

Yeah,one sounds almost like a woman.Maybe one of them is Metal Sonic?

Chrono Trigger's is definitely up there as one of them.When I saw it I was old enough to not be scared,in fact I loved it.But it's definitely ominous.
Majora's Mask is pretty great too.Not the normal one,but the End of the Three Days.Somehow,the Happy Mask Salesman's line and laugh makes it more creepy.
Or Amy...HOLY CRAP AMY TURNED EVIL

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
As a kid, the game over screen from Super Mario Sunshine always freaked me out. The combination of the screen itself and the music that played was scary to me. Now that I'm older it isn't scary in the slightest, but I always hated that screen as a kid.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
One that can get disturbing is the various dying animations in Mario vs Donkey Kong GBA.Mario really sounds like he's in pain when he says 'Mama mia...'

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
On a similar note, the electricity death animation from Mario Galaxy, where his voice has this awful shaking quality and you can see his skeleton.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
As a kid, the game over screen from Super Mario Sunshine always freaked me out. The combination of the screen itself and the music that played was scary to me. Now that I'm older it isn't scary in the slightest, but I always hated that screen as a kid.
WHAT

ME TOO

sonicgx101

Smash Rookie
NNID
sonicgx101
3DS FC
1263-8019-2008
When I was a kid, the game over screen for Marvel vs Capcom 2 felt kind of strange especially the background (hate it when I ran out of quarters)

The game over screen for Comic Zone put a little fright in me

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Pandora's Tower
Aeron's fate in the game's worst ending.
Most games just say "Game Over" when you die. This game actually brings you to the site, and has you see the observatory in ruin. Then you get to see the results of your failure.
The look of resignation on his face right before it happens... that's more unsettling than anything seen in Silent Hill.
It's more of a "Non Standard Game Over" which does say "game over" at the end of it.

Top Bottom