• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What game has the absolute least competitive potential?

CounterRest_

Smash Rookie
I know people are willing to make something out of nothing when it comes to communities (Take Shrek Super Slam for example. Yes this has tournaments, Shrekboards.com), but what game has absolutely nothing to work off of? It has to be multiplayer and have 1v1 at least. My personal best guess has to be the Judge game on the Game and Watch. The only way to win is to have the higher number. Unlike luck-based games like Poker there is completely no strategy.

Doormaster

Smash Rookie
I would say Sumotori Dreams has very little, if not any, competitive potential. It has nothing to work off of in that the game's physics engine is very erratic and luck-based and does not feature online play, for example. I should know, since I've been playing this game consistently for over a year now and I've seen pretty much everything and anything that is plausible to happen within the program. Who knows what has kept me playing this hunk of tripe for as long as I have.

The only redeeming part of this game is that it's funny, from the way the characters flail their arms around and how they slam into each other like Neanderthals. Therefore, it could be a neat little distraction at parties, but I never get invited to those.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Any game that isn't polished or balanced enough. If there are enough glitches or over powered moves (let alone over power characters) then I wouldn't count it as such. For example; Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, Kung Fu Panda Showdown of the Legendary Legends, the Nickelodeon flash fighting games, ect.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival

(I paid $40 for it, please end my life)

Phil Time

Smash Cadet
Every time that I recommend that someone should try Sonic Adventure 2, they always say that the entire video game sucks.

Perhaps it is my bias towards Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 but I always thought that the multiplayer modes in SA 2 were a lot of fun.

Of course, I never delved into the multiplayer of SA 2 enough to find out if it was actually competitive or not.

Usually, I was busy collecting all of the emblems in single player.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Dragon's Crown. No one is ever playing and online functions never work. There's at least there's an arena to fight other people.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
This is gonna give me a chance to rant about Overwatch. And how i think the game is has no future as an Esport. So, first of, i think that the game isn't balanced, you probably hear that a lot but I think the reason is that they only ever buff characters. When Blizzard sees that something isn't working they just buff everything else. That has caused the game to move so fast that dive comp or some variation of it is the only way to win without abusing some sort of broken character. (mercy). This causes the game to be unwatchable due to how fast it moves. The commentators can't tell what's happening even if they watch the game a lot because every game is just a choke point followed by a lot of ults that are super hard to follow and the push is done in 10 seconds. If they just cut all damage by all characters by 20%~ then the game would be watchable.
Imagine for a second that you've never played overwatch and have no idea what the game's about, and you watch a competitive Overwatch match. The only things you'd see is lots of random colors that move way too fast, you don't know what each character does that's doing these weird abilities. and you'd hear a commentator trying to keep up with the madness that's taking place yelling random terms about ults that you have no idea about. The game has little to no future in Esports and blizzard should focus on making the game a better casual experience

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Why would anyone care?
90% of your posts end in a question that should be easily solvable. Hmm.

We should care because it has a -huge- community. Bigger than Smash Wii U, that's for sure.

Secondly, it generates serious revenue. Blizzard has a gifted programming team, they can allocate funding and provide better service. I used to live, breathe, sleep, LIVE WoW. The balance was usually atrocious at top level play.

PvP & PvE, only certain specs and comps were viable, and a minimal number at that. Always. Constantly.

Mained Restoration Shaman because I enjoyed it, and because well, I had no choice. Elemental was garbage, and Enhancement was also bad and had no synergy with the comp I was running.

It's stuff like that. Hope I answered your question.

:038:

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
We should care because it has a -huge- community. Bigger than Smash Wii U, that's for sure.

Secondly, it generates serious revenue. Blizzard has a gifted programming team, they can allocate funding and provide better service.
Exactly, games can become stale and unenjoyable at high levels it not managed well.

Many pro players and people who are into overwatch are losing interest in the game. Regardless of how much money blizzard is pumping into making the big competitions have high production value. it will not make it become a good game to watch.

Games will gain popularity if they're enjoyable. And they need to stay enjoyable if you're playing it at a high level or if you just bought the game. That's why games like CS:GO blew up quick and has a presence still, it was enjoyable from when you open up the game and the competition at high levels was very well monitored and was, and is (somewhat) balanced and changed by the devs to make it still a good experience

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
Exactly, games can become stale and unenjoyable at high levels it not managed well.

Many pro players and people who are into overwatch are losing interest in the game. Regardless of how much money blizzard is pumping into making the big competitions have high production value. it will not make it become a good game to watch.

Games will gain popularity if they're enjoyable. And they need to stay enjoyable if you're playing it at a high level or if you just bought the game. That's why games like CS:GO blew up quick and has a presence still, it was enjoyable from when you open up the game and the competition at high levels was very well monitored and was, and is (somewhat) balanced and changed by the devs to make it still a good experience
You don't necessarily have to create a game with high level gameplay in mind.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I loved Mario Party as a kid, and now I only like 1-3, but I reckon it'd be terrible for competitive play. Too many random factors, and the only thing you could consistently grind is map familiarity, and mini-games until you learn them based off muscle memory and timing alone.

Chance Time by itself makes the idea not viable.

Skeeter Mania

Smash Ace
NNID
Ampharos2935
I loved Mario Party as a kid, and now I only like 1-3, but I reckon it'd be terrible for competitive play. Too many random factors, and the only thing you could consistently grind is map familiarity, and mini-games until you learn them based off muscle memory and timing alone.

Chance Time by itself makes the idea not viable.
Hey, if you're really dedicated, you could make even this possible. Plus it makes for an enticing spectator-fest.

Top Bottom