• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What franchise is underapprociated/underrepresented in ultimate.

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully like 9 or 10 more fire emblem characters. We need more blue haired, sword wielding characters with down b counters

RodAcoPer

Smash Journeyman
PAC-MAN is also underrepresented Since Most Pacman tracks are either from classic PAC-MAN games or other 80's Namco Titles rather than Songs from His other games (Like PAC-MAN World, Pac-Man and the ghostly adventure, etc), the same happens with spirits since there are just 5 from Pac-Land and his moveset is still off instead of being inspired of Pac-man World and he doesnt have a voice even though he had in some games

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
How many people really want Pac-Man to talk though? Mega Man, maybe if they can find a better English VA (though I think I might prefer classic Mega Man silent), but Pac-Man? He really doesn't need to speak.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
How many people really want Pac-Man to talk though? Mega Man, maybe if they can find a better English VA (though I think I might prefer classic Mega Man silent), but Pac-Man? He really doesn't need to speak.
It depends of how much "character" they want in them. Those that play Pac-Man World 3 say that Pac-Man has one of the best "characters" there.

Last edited:

conr1201

Smash Rookie
Final Fantasy, the fact that we get one character and only two non-remix music tracks is a TRAVESTY. Sephiroth, Tidus, Yuna, or Noctis would all be really cool DLC characters. And honestly, I would be happy just to get more songs from FFVII and the other Final Fantasy games, even non-remixes, there are just too many good songs.

Kingdom Hearts is another one, I know this is more controversial but I would love to see Sora and Roxas in Ultimate. Seems weird to me that Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest get all the love, but not Kingdom Hearts. Unfortunately Disney is really restrictive with their IP, so Kingdom Hearts in Smash is super unlikely, but a boy can dream right?

Arthur97

Smash Master
It depend of how much "character" they want in them. Those that play Pac-Man World 3 say that Pac-Man has one of the best "characters" there.
Best character in a Pac Man game probably isn't the best metric. Either way, that was one game, which, I'm not even sure that many people played. I don't think Pac-Man is really known that much for his character.

Uh, does it even count if it isn't in Smash at all? Also, of course DQ and FF would be higher priorities than Kingdom Hearts.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Series I think are underrepresented;

Donkey Kong: We finally have K.Rool, and that's great. But honestly, Diddy already should've been in Melee. K.Rool in either Brawl, or Smash 4. And Dixie is sorely missing, Funky Kong would make a reasonable, stylish and overall funky Echo Fighter, and there's Cranky to give us another fully unique character. We also need some items, Assist Trophies and stages that aren't jungle levels.

Zelda; Just bringing back Young Link, revamping Ganondorf and Link slightly, separating Zelda and Sheik in Smash 4 and a few more items isn't enough for this huge franchise. It needs a new playable character badly. Impa would be a fine choice.

Kirby; A franchise that's still growing, and also has a big cast to choose from. Not an expert, but Bandana Dee is a good solid choice. Adeline, that brush girl, is also a fan favorite. Not getting anything ever since Brawl is kind of a let down for fans I imagine.

Xenoblade; 3 games for Nintendo is pretty big. Monolith working on big Nintendo titles as Breath of the Wild is also a big deal. I plan on getting the remake of the original when it releases, so am no fan yet. But I think just about everyone expected a new character before launch.

Sonic; Am not a Sonic fan. Far from. But I do think another character would be reasonable. A classic one like Tails or Knuckles, because why not. Then again I guess Bayonetta and Joker are also SEGA owned right? Nevertheless, I think they are quite underrepresented right now. Especially since Ken is a newcomer in Ultimate, and gives Street Fighter a second character before Sonic.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I agree on Xenoblade. It's a bit short for what is becoming a decently substantial Nintendo RPG series. Okay, so maybe they couldn't have squeezed in a rep from 2 due to development issues (but considering Greninja was made with little more than notes and maybe concept art and Sakurai played through an unfinished build of BotW to change Link, that seems a bit suspect; granted, it may have not been the best representation if done that way), but the first fighter pass has come and gone with no fighter in sight. They also could have given some more remixes.

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
F-Zero: The games have a massive roster but no one has been added in Smash Bros except for Samurai Goroh as an Assist Trophy and Blood Falcon being one of Captain Falcon's alt colours.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
F-Zero: The games have a massive roster but no one has been added in Smash Bros except for Samurai Goroh as an Assist Trophy and Blood Falcon being one of Captain Falcon's alt colours.
Yes! I was a bit surprised that Falcon was still alone in Melee, but there were other glaring omissions like Diddy, Wario and Toad, so I thought it would surely be for the next entry. Well...

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Hear me out here - there isn't enough representation of consoles in Smash.
I know this sounds stupid, but seeing Shared Content filled with stuff like 'Battlefield GBA' and stuff is cool.
Like, how are there not even spirits of the consoles? They're literally just PNGs, surely there'd be some form of representation?
The only true console rep we have in the game is the Wii Balance Board, as a spirit and in the background of a stage, and that's classified as a Wii Fit character in itself.
Sure, a playable Wiimote would be really fun, albeit unlikely, but no true representation for arguably Nintendo's most important parts of history? It strikes me as odd, really.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think it's underrepresented. At all. Captain Falcon has a total made up moveset that doesn't really reference F-Zero in any way or form. A Echo in the form of Blood Falcon or any one else would work. But other than that? Why even bother? It's a franchise as good as dead currently.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yes! I was a bit surprised that Falcon was still alone in Melee, but there were other glaring omissions like Diddy, Wario and Toad, so I thought it would surely be for the next entry. Well...
I wasn't really since there were other franchises that deserved more reps at the time but I was a little shock we didn't see a Captain Falcon clone in Brawl like Black Shadow or Blood Falcon.

I don't think it's underrepresented. At all. Captain Falcon has a total made up moveset that doesn't really reference F-Zero in any way or form. A Echo in the form of Blood Falcon or any one else would work. But other than that? Why even bother? It's a franchise as good as dead currently.
It still wouldn't hurt for F-Zero to get another rep easily in the form of a Captain Falcon Echo. I would love to see Black Shadow.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Why even bother? It's a franchise as good as dead currently.
So is Mother. And even so, I really don't see why only active franchises should get newcomers. (Come to speak of it, I don't see either why F-Zero didn't get a new game since the Game Cube - I know the official explanations, I just don't agree with it.) Besides, Sakurai pretends that "all that matters for a character is to be fun to play, it's not important if it is recognizable or not". Well he could go crazy with the F-Zero cast.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So is Mother. And even so, I really don't see why only active franchises should get newcomers. (Come to speak of it, I don't see either why F-Zero didn't get a new game since the Game Cube - I know the official explanations, I just don't agree with it.) Besides, Sakurai pretends that "all that matters for a character is to be fun to play, it's not important if it is recognizable or not". Well he could go crazy with the F-Zero cast.
He could probably go crazy yeah. But out of so many other franchises to choose from, why pick F-Zero? There's no character particulary popular that would stand out, and make sense outside of Goroh either.

F-Zero could use a new game however. It's a nice contrast to Mario Kart in terms of racing games for Nintendo. They should probably try and get s 3rd party company experienced in high tech racing games played on full speed, or simply ask SEGA again.

About MOTHER, I strongly disagree here. It's dead, sure, but it's also owned by APE, who worked on the original Smash Bros. , and besides, Ness and Lucas are semi clones. Also, being from the RPG genre, they have more to work with in terms of move set potential. I don't think it's a good comparison.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
He could probably go crazy yeah. But out of so many other franchises to choose from, why pick F-Zero? There's no character particulary popular that would stand out, and make sense outside of Goroh either.
Goroh and Black Shadow are pretty famous, and Jody Summer is kinda popular. I would also go for Deathborn: the true vilain of a crazy story mode, very special look, and cool powers like teleportation. Why F-Zero amongst so many franchises? It's true that it might not be a priority (Golden Sun, damn it!), but one single character for a whole serie with several titles, it's not much. Especially when Pokémon has almost ten and some people still complain that not every generation has a playable fighter, or when the developers take the time to make a mook.

F-Zero could use a new game however. It's a nice contrast to Mario Kart in terms of racing games for Nintendo. They should probably try and get s 3rd party company experienced in high tech racing games played on full speed, or simply ask SEGA again.
I would love that. I think I would have more fun playing an F-Zero game with my friends than a Mario Kart one. By the way, if you haven't seen this video, I strongly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBbTD2swkN8

About MOTHER, I strongly disagree here. It's dead, sure, but it's also owned by APE, who worked on the original Smash Bros. , and besides, Ness and Lucas are semi clones. Also, being from the RPG genre, they have more to work with in terms of move set potential. I don't think it's a good comparison.
Yes, they're semi-clones. Maybe we should count Ganondorf as an F-Zero character? :p For the "moveset potential", I'm conflicted. Of course, it's great, and better, when it reflects the gameplay of the source game. But it's not mandatory. Sheik works really well, and Felinferno is just a wrestler whose moveset has little to do with the Pokémon game, I think. It doesn't requiere a lot of imagination to create an heavy-weight sword wielder moveset for Goroh, for instance, and I believe that could be both fun and very "F-Zeroesque".

Super Toaster

Smash Cadet
Mother series ftw
The mother series doesn't have a ton of characters they could add though. I think Porky would be cool, but outside of that you'd have to get creative.

Then again- plant got into the game. We need the walking mushrooms and exploding trees in!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The mother series doesn't have a ton of characters they could add though. I think Porky would be cool, but outside of that you'd have to get creative.

Then again- plant got into the game. We need the walking mushrooms and exploding trees in!
Not just characters, but music as well. It’s missing a TON of cool battle themes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've seen the most popular requests for F-Zero characters the last couple years, in speculation of prior Smash games. It would've made the most sense in Brawl I find, but it missed it's opportunity here. After that, no more F-Zero games, so unless an F-Zero character gets a sudden K.Rool-level demand I don't see it happening.

Personally I would like the revival of another Nintendo racing game, namely Diddy Kong Racing. I think that it's the only true mascot racer that ever came close to Mario Kart's popularity. And MK64 was kind of huge . Not to say both DKR and F-Zero shouldn't come back, or couldn't, but I have another preference in this regard.

There's quite some interesting characters. From Earthbound, Poo had some fan following. Paula would make a good Echo for Ness, Kumatora for Lucas. There was also some fan support for Flint back in the day.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
The truly sad thing about F-Zero is that Nintendo aren't making more because they think there's very little new they can do with it.
Hear me out - 30 Player F-Zero online. Imagine.
Furthermore, I'd say that the ability to make tracks (as in the 64DD expansion) and the ability to make your own vehicles, even - as well as new tracks, and a collection of older ones from games like X and GX (not so much the classic, due to it being 2d, but one or two tracks would be nice) as well as a few remixes for themes, similar to the ones we have in Smash. The new graphical prowess would make this kind of game amazing nowadays - as well as the modern-day online functions - and not forgetting the use of Joy-Cons and such, meaning the Switch is actually a brilliant console for it, but two things stop this being a reality.
1. Nintendo's garbage online. They can't even run Smash all too well, how the hell would you run F-Zero - where you go from 0-60 in frames, not seconds, and where pixel perfect, on-the-fly measurements are key to staying on the track?
2. Nintendo's image. I think Nintendo as a company and a climate has changed since then. A game like F-Zero wouldn't be as successful as games like Mario Kart, Smash, and other multiplayer experiences (because Nintendo would see this as more of a multiplayer experience, I imagine) because of it's extreme difficulty.

Of course, it would be incredible to see, and many fans would buy it, but... F-Zero is a series that's been stagnant for 16 years. Nintendo can't rely on previous fans, unlike games like Mario, Zelda, and their other notable IP's. This is why I think Nintendo stopped making games for series like Pikmin, Mother, and F-Zero - because, at the time, they couldn't think of anything genuinely different to do, so didn't - but, over time, there's an issue, where they mustn't disappoint the fans, who've waited years, but also mustn't make it in a way that turns away newcomers - which becomes more of an issue as time goes on. New IPs don't have this issue - after all, look at Splatoon, which had no prior fans to please.

I mean, Nintendo as a company always strive to make games that differ in some way, from a whole gameplay overhaul to a gimmick or two, but even so, they always strive for quality and interest. Yes, I have said before that the New Super Mario series is pretty samey and such, but even so, they did change things, adding gimmicks like the coins of 2, and a new way to play a Mario 3d platformer, in 3d World. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an interview in the Wii U era in which someone said that that was the reason there wasn't a new F-Zero - because they didn't think there was anything to add?

Furthermore, look at Mario Kart. If we're getting to a point where the Blue Falcon has been in the game twice now, as well as fully modelled tracks - and 8 having a very similar mechanic to F-Zero - does Nintendo really see a need to have two of what they see as the same?

This is just my opinion, but this is what I think.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
:ultrob::ultwario::ultpacman:: gyromite, stack-up, Pac-man world and wario land deserve more contents we barely have anything since the day we got them.
:ultcloud:: need more final fantasy contents not just FF7.
Virtual boy: barely has any contents its a missing era of gaming that has yet to be represented.
:ultmarth:: we have so many fire emblem reps but no villain yet this is the only thing thats currently missing.
:ultfalcon::ultyoshi:: needs a 2nd rep they have been around since 64.
:ultpikachu:: PMD is still not represented in smash knowing how sucessful it is.
Puzzle rep: nintendo had many puzzle games but :ultdoc: isnt representing it properly.
Golden sun: duh.
Super Mario RPG: now we have square-enix there should be no excuse.
Sega Master System: SEGA has a big era which hasnt been represented it yet, no content from that era so far which was before :ultsonic:.
:kirby64:: Joy mech fight is nintendo's fighting game it needs a better way to be represented in nintendo all stars fighting game.
:ultness:: we lack Ninten also Porky has vanished

Last edited:

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
The truly sad thing about F-Zero is that Nintendo aren't making more because they think there's very little new they can do with it.
Hear me out - 30 Player F-Zero online. Imagine.
Furthermore, I'd say that the ability to make tracks (as in the 64DD expansion) and the ability to make your own vehicles, even - as well as new tracks, and a collection of older ones from games like X and GX (not so much the classic, due to it being 2d, but one or two tracks would be nice) as well as a few remixes for themes, similar to the ones we have in Smash. The new graphical prowess would make this kind of game amazing nowadays - as well as the modern-day online functions - and not forgetting the use of Joy-Cons and such, meaning the Switch is actually a brilliant console for it, but two things stop this being a reality.
1. Nintendo's garbage online. They can't even run Smash all too well, how the hell would you run F-Zero - where you go from 0-60 in frames, not seconds, and where pixel perfect, on-the-fly measurements are key to staying on the track?
2. Nintendo's image. I think Nintendo as a company and a climate has changed since then. A game like F-Zero wouldn't be as successful as games like Mario Kart, Smash, and other multiplayer experiences (because Nintendo would see this as more of a multiplayer experience, I imagine) because of it's extreme difficulty.

Of course, it would be incredible to see, and many fans would buy it, but... F-Zero is a series that's been stagnant for 16 years. Nintendo can't rely on previous fans, unlike games like Mario, Zelda, and their other notable IP's. This is why I think Nintendo stopped making games for series like Pikmin, Mother, and F-Zero - because, at the time, they couldn't think of anything genuinely different to do, so didn't - but, over time, there's an issue, where they mustn't disappoint the fans, who've waited years, but also mustn't make it in a way that turns away newcomers - which becomes more of an issue as time goes on. New IPs don't have this issue - after all, look at Splatoon, which had no prior fans to please.

I mean, Nintendo as a company always strive to make games that differ in some way, from a whole gameplay overhaul to a gimmick or two, but even so, they always strive for quality and interest. Yes, I have said before that the New Super Mario series is pretty samey and such, but even so, they did change things, adding gimmicks like the coins of 2, and a new way to play a Mario 3d platformer, in 3d World. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an interview in the Wii U era in which someone said that that was the reason there wasn't a new F-Zero - because they didn't think there was anything to add?

Furthermore, look at Mario Kart. If we're getting to a point where the Blue Falcon has been in the game twice now, as well as fully modelled tracks - and 8 having a very similar mechanic to F-Zero - does Nintendo really see a need to have two of what they see as the same?

This is just my opinion, but this is what I think.
Nintendo did want to make another F-Zero title on Wii U. Apparently they got a company that’s well known for racing titles, but due to them having other projects they declined. The company was the one that made Burnout. The lack of F-Zero may be because Nintendo just wants to hand it out to 3rd party. The last game was made by Sega, so maybe it’s more Nintendo inexperience than unwillingness. I mean, look at Metroid prior to Retro, or even Donkey Kong. Sometimes Nintendo just lacks any grasp on where to properly take their franchises.

I would ask why Sega isn’t at the helm again, but Sega has changed significantly since the early 2000s and seem unable to handle their own ip, let alone F-Zero.

Is it just me who is kinda surprised that there isn't a Tetris stage yet? Like, you'd think it basically writes itself in theory, and the license is there - Tetris music is in the game - but no stage? Seems odd to me.
Tetris is a mess of copyright. There is no single company that really owns Tetris, so while Nintendo can use the music created for their game, they cannot use the actual game.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
Tetris is a mess of copyright. There is no single company that really owns Tetris, so while Nintendo can use the music created for their game, they cannot use the actual game.
So who are all the different parties that own the Tetris IP?
I guess the issue is because of how many ports and stuff there's been? Possibly?

4ZURE

Smash Cadet
So who are all the different parties that own the Tetris IP?
It seems there is a Hawaii based Tetris company. They are likely the only real rights owner, but I believe that they have gone through multiple different publishers, which is how Nintendo ended up with it for the GB. I know Sega has developed crossovers with it. Ultimately, Tetris is kind of up in the air, there was this article I found that talks about how complicated it’s copyright can be
https://www.publicknowledge.org/blo...s-how-complicated-copyright-for-games-can-be/
I’ll be honest, I cannot fully explain Tetris, but it does seem that Nintendo would have to go through another company for permission, which must have made it harder for a stage.

Also if it helps, this Wikipedia list shows the numerous publishers from Microsoft, to Sega, to EA, to even THQ.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tetris_variants
Who knows if Nintendo may run into issues with one of them.

Karicova

Smash Rookie
Zelda, despite the plethora of characters available in the series, we really only have 3 links 2 zeldas and one ganondorf - atleast in harsher terms. More realistically we have 3 links a zoner zelda, a aggressive zelda and a semi captain falcon clone semi heavy/hard hitter (glass cannon basically). While these characters do have their differences, it would be nicer to have more characters- like Skull Kid, Majora's Mask (idk how that would work), Ghirahim, Zhant, Midna, or Revali0

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Excluding some pickier/smaller critiques like giving the Kirby franchise a stage post Superstar, the only series that I would like to see a change with representation is LoZ

LoZ: I don’t have an issue with the quantity or choices of character (:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf: are the series’s most prominent characters, and :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsheik: represent altering reincarnations), but I kind of wish the Links had a couple more differences (eg. one of them uses magic rods/hammers like in LttP or Toon Link using a Deku Leaf). Imo, the way to approach this would be to give a slightthe child links, so they show different things in their respective games and maybe give Ganondorf a projectile. A non-triforce character would be cool to see, but there’s other major characters not in yet from other franchises, and I’m not as concerned about trying to outnumber FE (proportional representation is not a big issue since Metroid also has more reps than DK and Kirby, and Mother has as many characters as Animal Crossing). This way of adding LoZ characters could‘ve made sense in hindsight: Link in 64, unique Ganondorf and maybe Zelda for unique Melee newcomers and Young Link as a clone. Brawl would add Toon Link as usual. For would add Sheik or Impa in For (I’m leaning towards Sheik) and add a coupledifferences to Toon Link. For Ultimate, I would base Young Link on ALttP where he can use rods, and keep Zelda as TP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom