• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What first parties should be in Smash?

UserKev

Smash Champion
I'm not comparing Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie to Skull Kid I was just saying not to give up on the character because I thought you abandoned supporting Skull Kid because I thought you thought he was very unlikely.
I will never stop supporting Cranky Kong, Waluigi, Mr. Resetti. I am abandoning Skull Kid tho, mostly because I don't want the character anymore. I bandwagon'd Skull Kid. I was never really invested now I think about it. I'd far rather Ghirahim.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Here are my top choices, with links to their respective support threads in case you feel like dropping by and showing some support.

Pious Augustis
Ayumi Tachibana
Mike Jones
Classic Ganon
Toad (not Captain Toad, just regular Toad)
Mach Rider
Eggplant Wizard
Pauline
Impa
Wart
The Amazon
King Hippo
Elite Beat Agents
Urban Champion
Raimi
Donkey Kong Jr.
Henry Flemming
Mr. Stevenson

I also like these guys but they apparently don't have their own support threads.
Captain N
Tatanga
Mouser
Team Rocket
and just for the heck of it, let's throw Justin Bailey Samus into the mix.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
King K. Rool was my most wanted by far, I’m more than happy with just him. But if I were to ask for more, I would say Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Toad, Paper Mario, and King Hippo. I honestly feel like first party representation in Smash is nearly perfect, but a few characters like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee would fill in some of the last “missing” spots in the roster.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I am gonna do it by franchise because I like that format. Please note my ideal form of smash is several separate franchise-focused fighting games released that give you access to make your own roster of 150 fighters from any of the ones you own on a "Mass Smash" online game.

Mario: Waluigi, Toad, Fawful, Geno, De-Alt the Koopalings, Koopa Troopa, Hammer Bro, King Boo, Gooigi, Mallow
Zelda: Vaati, Impa, Skull Kid, The Oracle Pets (at least as mountable items on a stage.), The champions, Veran, Onox, Ghirahim
Donkey Kong: Dixie, Lanky, Cranky, Lord Fredrik, Dredd Kong
Kirby: Bandana Dee, Gooey, Adeline, Dark Matter, Galactica Knight, Taranza, Magalor
Yoshi: Poochy, Kamek, Tap Tap The Red Nose
Wario: Demon-Mask, Captain Syrup, Shake King, Count Cannoli
Metroid: Sylux, Generic Space Pirate, Mini Kraid, Weevil
Star Fox: Krystal, Andross, Dash, Leon, Panther, Grippy
Pokemon: (I didn't think this throoooough) Gengar, Marshadow, Mimikyute, Cranidos, Joltik, Sceptile, Meowth, Obstagoon, Houndoom, Eevee, Galarian Wheezing, SirFetch'd, Reuniclus, Slaking, Tyranitar, Decidueye, Machamp, Hitmontop, Team Rocket Grunt
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh, Pico, James McCloud (alt/Echo of Fox), Black Shadow, Jody Summer
Mother: Pu, Porky, Masked Man
Kid Icarus: Magnus, Phosphora, Pyron, Medusa, Viridi
Splatoon: Octoling, DJ Octavo
Fire Emblem: Arvis, Sigurd, Leaf, Lyn, Hector, Ephraigm, Multi-General (Arden, Wallace, Wendy, someone else), Multi-Mage (Levin, Pent, some others) Multi-Thief.
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook, KK Slider
Fitness: Ring Fit Trainee (can be played with ring con), Drageaux
Punch Out: Doc Louis, King Hippo, Mr. Sandman, Glass Joe
Pikmin: Brittney, Louie
ARMs: Lola Pop, Byte and Barq, Misango, Dr. Coyle, Max Brass (or just do the whole roster.)
Retrotendo: Mike Jones, Baloon Fighter, Mach Rider
Unsaid Franchises: Ryo (Waverace/1080), Lark/Nester (Pilotwings/Nester's Funky Bowling), Harry (Teleroboxer), Mike Jones (Star Tropics), Zoda (Star Tropics), Bubbles (Clu Clu Land), The Amazon (Pro Wrestling), Ice Hockey Player (Ice Hockey).

Okay, gonna stop here before I come up with 20 more.

Oddball

Smash Lord
whos that?
dalshx1-0757f82a-0821-455f-bc3b-1a6f7ab64e1e.png

Basically, she was zero suit Samus before there was a Zero Suit Samus.

Back in the really old days of the original Metroid, you could play as Samus without her armor with certain passwords.
The most famous and well known of the passwords was JUSTIN BAILEY followed by a bunch of blank spaces. This would start you off with armorless Samus already equiped with most of the items in the game. Also because technically she had the varia suit, it would change her color pallet giving her a pink/purplish leotard and green hair.

Green Haired Samus has typically been referred to as "Justin Bailey" ever since.

They brought back the look not all that long ago when the released the Metroid 2 remake.
Samus ending.png

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
First party that should have been playable by now?
A good bunch, bias asides, they would be:
-Toad
-Waluigi
-Dixie Kong
-Bandana Dee
-One Zelda character that is not Zelda, Ganondorf or Link
Are the first five that come to my mind.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'd like to see Machamp, a one-off Zelda character, Waluigi, Excite Biker, Glass Joe, Doc Louis, Funky Kong, and Chibi-Robo. Probably more that I'm just not thinking of but whatever, this the list for now.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I got a couple characters I'd like to see.

Dixie Kong
Funky Kong
Cranky Kong
Impa
Any of the Champions
Ganon
Skull Kid
Lyn
Hector
Alm
Celica
Black Knight
Isaac
Balloon Fighter
Mach Rider
King Hippo
Bandana Dee
Garchomp
Snorlax
Raichu
Toad or Captain Toad
Paper Mario
King Boo

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 313879

Basically, she was zero suit Samus before there was a Zero Suit Samus.

Back in the really old days of the original Metroid, you could play as Samus without her armor with certain passwords.
The most famous and well known of the passwords was JUSTIN BAILEY followed by a bunch of blank spaces. This would start you off with armorless Samus already equiped with most of the items in the game. Also because technically she had the varia suit, it would change her color pallet giving her a pink/purplish leotard and green hair.

Green Haired Samus has typically been referred to as "Justin Bailey" ever since.

They brought back the look not all that long ago when the released the Metroid 2 remake.
View attachment 313881
so what you mean is classic unarmed samus but under a fan name?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
-isaac
-Ninten
-Sukapon
-Harry (teleroboxer)
-Captain syrup
-Blue :001::005::009:
-Black Knight
-Nester (Nintendo power)
-Mach rider
-Waluigi
-King boo
-Skull kid
-Mega Charizard X (echo)
-Stork & Poochy
-Porky
-Black shadow
-Ganon
-Donkey Kong jr.
-Lip
-Grovyle (PMD)
-Metal Mario (echo)
-Regigigas
-Diancie
-Ditto
-Daroach
-Mike jones
-Hakkun (hakkun sutte)
-Captain Rainbow
-King hippo
-Galacta knight (echo)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Series:

• Golden Sun (I mean, literally we have the other three main RPGs they have pushed- 8 Fire Emblem... none as unique as Isaac)
  • Rhythm Heaven (I grew attached to Chorus Kids, too)
  • Panel de Pon (love Lip)
  • Balloon Fighter (made by Iwata, Sakurai's Mentor... I mean, c'mon)
  • Ring Fit Adventure (insane sales, Switch newcomer, and Dragaux is awesome)
  • Paper Mario
  • Excite Bike
  • 'Wars
  • Chibi Robo
  • Joy Mech Fight
  • Custom Robo

I'll add:
  • Zelda- all four champions, separately, to show the diversity of Hyrule, and because it is a huge series
  • Dixie Kong
  • DK jr (echo)
  • Meowth
  • Team Rocket
  • Captain Toad
  • Bandana Dee

There are many more I'd take, but those are my essentials

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
so what you mean is classic unarmed samus but under a fan name?
Not quite.

She's just as armed as regular Samus, she's just not armored. (That may have just been a typo on your part, but I felt the need to clarify.)

Also while the name may not be 100% official, it's been referenced in sources such as Nintendo Power, so it's not just a "fan name."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not quite.

She's just as armed as regular Samus, she's just not armored. (That may have just been a typo on your part, but I felt the need to clarify.)

Also while the name may not be 100% official, it's been referenced in sources such as Nintendo Power, so it's not just a "fan name."
I don’t remember this conversations context

also what’s nintendo power? Is it that magazine that went bust before Nintendo abandoned magazines?

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don’t remember this conversations context

also what’s nintendo power? Is it that magazine that went bust before Nintendo abandoned magazines?
Nintendo Power was the OFFICIAL magazine for Nintendo (at least in the U.S.) It was created and published by Nintendo of America and ran for 24 years. Quite a few games during the 8 and 16 bit area would actually refence the magazine itself, usually by giving cameos to Nester, (the magazine's mascot) got a cameo in several games include the original English translation of Dragon Quest.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo Power was the OFFICIAL magazine for Nintendo (at least in the U.S.) It was created and published by Nintendo of America and ran for 24 years. Quite a few games during the 8 and 16 bit area would actually refence the magazine itself, usually by giving cameos to Nester, (the magazine's mascot) got a cameo in several games include the original English translation of Dragon Quest.
so yes

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I like the idea of Nester but the biggest issue is that the Japanese wouldn’t recognize him
I think Mike Jones from Star tropics also fall in the same issue

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
it sounded like nothing important
I mean, it was literally the only way to get official Nintendo news. Before the internet and game convention tv coverage. I wouldn’t say it was nothing important. I’m guessing you never had a subscription?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, it was literally the only way to get official Nintendo news. Before the internet and game convention tv coverage. I wouldn’t say it was nothing important. I’m guessing you never had a subscription?
Look at the location on my profile, of course not.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Look at the location on my profile, of course not.
Ah there you go. It’s unwise to rule something out without firsthand experience. It was a primary source after all. While there are always misprints and typos it was reasonable to count any info in Nintendo Power as official and verified. The “Justin Bailey” code version of Samus eventually evolved into Zero Suit. So if you prefer the suit variant can be referred to as the “retro zero suit”

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah there you go. It’s unwise to rule something out without firsthand experience. It was a primary source after all. While there are always misprints and typos it was reasonable to count any info in Nintendo Power as official and verified. The “Justin Bailey” code version of Samus eventually evolved into Zero Suit. So if you prefer the suit variant can be referred to as the “retro zero suit”
starting to sound like a nostalgia trip

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As far as actual series without a fighter go, I'd say Advance Wars, Excite, Rythym Heaven, Puzzle League, and Chibi-Robo! are the ones most in need of a rep. Apart from unrepped series, probably Waluigi and uhh...umm...another Zelda character and that's about it. There are plenty of first parties I want, but these are the main ones I feel SHOULD absolutely be a Smash fighter, essentially must-haves.
There are also a few Fire Emblem characters I think deserve a spot, but not until that series' mini-roster gets cut down a bit.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Lyndis
Waluigi
Toadette
Captain Toad
Mach Rider
Majora's Mask (dunno found the mask itself as a more interesting character to be made playable than Skull Kid)
Ganon (blue pig)
Vaati
the Howard Twins
Viridi
Hades
Cranky Kong
Dixie Kong
Elma
Eevee with the ability to shift through multiple evolutions. (maybe a pokemon trainer that has multiple eeveeloutions)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
so for a sequel i hope we cut a lot third parties and:
:ultbyleth::ultbylethf::ultcorrin::ultcorrinf::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultdaisy::ultpiranha::ultmythra::ultchrom::ultlucina::ultzss::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultsheik::ultgreninja:
i would add:
Link from the Gameboy color games looking like he does on switch
Gorons
Impa / shiek
Vaati
Octorocks atleast in some way i just think theyre neat
Bandana Dee
Magolor
Dark matter
Galacta knight MK echo
an f zero rep probably BS
Syrup
Toad
Some mario rpg chars from smrpg paper and ml
Tom nook maybe
Maybe sandman
porky
Giovanni
and because selfishnes Cynda quil
Metroid (Larva State)
issac/ mathew (but with the original artstyle)
Mii mage

And some more!

Oddball

Smash Lord
i can understand nostalgia trips for video games, but for a magazine?
Are there rules for what you can be nostalgic for?

Prior to the internet, that was both a major point thing in people's childhoods AND it was THE major source for information about Nintendo and Nintendo games. The first issue sold millions of copies. Millions. If you don't think that's important, then I don't know what to tell you.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Are there rules for what you can be nostalgic for?

Prior to the internet, that was both a major point thing in people's childhoods AND it was THE major source for information about Nintendo and Nintendo games. The first issue sold millions of copies. Millions. If you don't think that's important, then I don't know what to tell you.
THE major source for america. the rest of us had other things. and yes i do think youre exaggerating its importance

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm not going to waste any more time trying to convince you because you obviously don't want to listen.

Clearly, since you weren't there for it, it can't be important.
or maybe it’s only important in America

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
THE major source for america. the rest of us had other things. and yes i do think youre exaggerating its importance
This is a strange hill to die on, trying to invalidate the opinions of others with your own opinion. Nintendo Power ran for 24 years and covered the NES through the Wii U with news, guides, info, etc. straight from Nintendo and NOA. I don't know what Nintendo of Europe did in terms of news for fans but just because I'm not from Europe doesn't mean I am going to invalidate whatever they did do just because I wasn't a part of it.

But go ahead and get the last word in because it makes you feel better. There's no point in continuing this.

Top Bottom