• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What exactly are Toon Links Strengths and Weaknesses?

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
I don't have a main in PM, so lets just have that be known right now. But Toon Link is a character I do play and observe from time to time, and I notice a lot of strong things about him, but I don't know everything.

Strengths I've noticed:

-Strong Combo game
-Very strong potential with projectiles (Combo/Zoning)
-Recovery is pretty strong initially (Benefits from AGT/Tether)
-Smash Attacks hit considerably hard
-Ground movement is slightly above average with moonwalking

Weakneses I've noticed:

-Light (dies early)
-Grab reach/start up is pretty bad
-Smash Attack recovery is relatively slow
-Recovery after resources used (Tether/Jump/safe AGT distance) is easy to punish
-Reach in general is lacking a little bit. (dependent on spacing a little more than average character)

Sorry some of these observations are so broad, but they are the only ones I could really put together off the top of my head. I can see why he is better than Link because his moves actually work, and hit projectiles hit harder, stay out loger, and do more damage. But where does he really shine?

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
You got several points, but here's a few more...
So Tink is really good at approaches. His projectiles let him force people into awkward positions while he gets close, if you can get them out in time. He's good at both offense and defense, and has really strong, but short, combos, so what generally happens is a lot of switching back and forth between the two. For instance, one might stay back and toss out a projectile or two until they have the space to downthrow, do a couple aerials, then run back -- all very quickly.

His mobility is good but his agility is better with AGT, moonwalk, a fast wavedash, etc. To play him well you generally end up running back and forth a LOT, with lots of wavedashes and short hops in between. You'll notice a lot of that with Lunchables.

As for weaknesses, reach is a big one. Also, his disjoint isn't big enough to make a huge difference, though it comes in handy sometimes.
His dash dance isn't great either. I mean, it's not bad by any means, but there's a lot of characters that have better ones, and it can put Tink at a disadvantage.
Another thing - his basic run speed isn't the best, so it's almost a necessity to thrown in short hop-bomb pulls and other things like that to make everything more productive.

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
You got several points, but here's a few more...
So Tink is really good at approaches. His projectiles let him force people into awkward positions while he gets close, if you can get them out in time. He's good at both offense and defense, and has really strong, but short, combos, so what generally happens is a lot of switching back and forth between the two. For instance, one might stay back and toss out a projectile or two until they have the space to downthrow, do a couple aerials, then run back -- all very quickly.

His mobility is good but his agility is better with AGT, moonwalk, a fast wavedash, etc. To play him well you generally end up running back and forth a LOT, with lots of wavedashes and short hops in between. You'll notice a lot of that with Lunchables.

As for weaknesses, reach is a big one. Also, his disjoint isn't big enough to make a huge difference, though it comes in handy sometimes.
His dash dance isn't great either. I mean, it's not bad by any means, but there's a lot of characters that have better ones, and it can put Tink at a disadvantage.
Another thing - his basic run speed isn't the best, so it's almost a necessity to thrown in short hop-bomb pulls and other things like that to make everything more productive.
That all makes a lot of sense. I never really knew how the transition between offense and defense actually would've been described. I kinda noticed, but didn't know what to call it lol.

ikon

Smash Cadet
toon link's dd is fine. with a bomb especially he can take stage control just by holding the bomb and threatening people with its combo potential. bomb -> fair -> grab works on most of the cast at low percents, uthrow -> utilt/uair/whatever works on most of the cast and depending on fallspeed, you can transition into an up b to edgeguard/kill or 400 uairs to keep them above you. bombs lead to basically everything if you're close enough (and you probably will be). the worst part about bombs is that it takes 40 frames to pull one and you'll likely lose a degree of stage control vs faster characters.

Last edited:

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
toon link's dd is fine. with a bomb especially he can take stage control just by holding the bomb and threatening people with its combo potential. bomb -> fair -> grab works on most of the cast at low percents, uthrow -> utilt/uair/whatever works on most of the cast and depending on fallspeed, you can transition into an up b to edgeguard/kill or 400 uairs to keep them above you. bombs lead to basically everything if you're close enough (and you probably will be). the worst part about bombs is that it takes 40 frames to pull one and you'll likely lose a degree of stage control vs faster characters.
Would you say its better to try to have another projectile out to try to cover some space before you attempt to pull a bomb? It'd seem like a good idea. Like, Have a lingering boomerang to discourage any punishment on a bomb pull at mid or full screen distance. And it'd seem like itd be a bad idea up close to pull bombs anyway

Thundertron

Smash Rookie
His strengths are his side charge smash and his up smash bis weaknesess are that he is light and a up close and personal fighter. GO TOON LINK!!!

ikon

Smash Cadet
Would you say its better to try to have another projectile out to try to cover some space before you attempt to pull a bomb? It'd seem like a good idea. Like, Have a lingering boomerang to discourage any punishment on a bomb pull at mid or full screen distance. And it'd seem like itd be a bad idea up close to pull bombs anyway
vs a faster character at that distance i'd be inclined to throw boomerang before a bomb pull to cut off an angle, yeah. bomb is toon link's main conversion tool and being able to pull it safely without forfeiting too much space is important

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
vs a faster character at that distance i'd be inclined to throw boomerang before a bomb pull to cut off an angle, yeah. bomb is toon link's main conversion tool and being able to pull it safely without forfeiting too much space is important
What do you think about his neutral air? what exactly is the aim with that move?

Ezlo

Smash Cadet
What do you think about his neutral air? what exactly is the aim with that move?
It comes out really, really fast. It doesn't lay on too much damage, but it's great for SHFFLing with and the occasional edgeguard (though usually bair and projectiles are better). You can use it OoS if you want to attack without the endlag of his upB and/or upsmash, too.

All of Tink's projectiles have too much lag for comfort on the ground, really. 'Rang is handy to cover a bomb pull, though it really depends on where you and your opponent are on the stage and everything. Whether or not you have a projectile out, it's usually best to keep moving while bomb pulling.
Also, don't use arrows to cover bomb pulling. They're easy to dodge and are mostly used for gimping when you're too far away and the stage control they give you after they've landed (which isn't enough to stop someone from running through them while you're bomb pulling).

Denjinpachi

Smash Journeyman
It comes out really, really fast. It doesn't lay on too much damage, but it's great for SHFFLing with and the occasional edgeguard (though usually bair and projectiles are better). You can use it OoS if you want to attack without the endlag of his upB and/or upsmash, too.

So its just better to have arrows for edge guarding, and try to not use weapons while only standing on the ground in neutral?

All of Tink's projectiles have too much lag for comfort on the ground, really. 'Rang is handy to cover a bomb pull, though it really depends on where you and your opponent are on the stage and everything. Whether or not you have a projectile out, it's usually best to keep moving while bomb pulling.
Also, don't use arrows to cover bomb pulling. They're easy to dodge and are mostly used for gimping when you're too far away and the stage control they give you after they've landed (which isn't enough to stop someone from running through them while you're bomb pulling).

Top Bottom