• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you want from the single player in general

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman
I cannot imagine they would bring back a full campaign like subspace (Unless they do octo expansion style dlc), but the single player part of smash 4 was pretty lame and I got more mileage from even the melee single player.

A mode that would probably be pretty cool would be like a randomly generated dungeon where you go through rooms with various challenges (like standard fights, minigames and adventure mode style platforming rooms) and it gets harder/better rewards the deeper you go. Just anything with an excuse to bring boss fights back, they were the best part of Brawl.

The Sparrow

Smash Cadet
NNID
SPTheSparrow
I'd love something like the randomly generated chalice dungeons of Bloodborne be done in that regard, to open the door of the boss fight you have to look for a lever in the dungeon and go through mobs of enemies to find it. I honestly don't want any janky items if that would be done, I'd be more down for items like food items and reflection badges but nothing that would completely mess up the gameplay.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Just a thought, but image if we got something like adventure mode from Melee, with Subspace-like bosses, and the Smash Run stat feature?

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
A full campaign like Subspace Emissary is unlikely given how little space there is between Smash 4 and Ultimate. SSE took up most of Brawl's development time and was stressful to work on, hence its absence in Smash 4 (along with Sakurai's disappointment that the cutscenes were uploaded to YouTube). At best, we might get a SSE-like mode released down the line as DLC, perhaps once all DLC characters are released, but that'd be a pretty big feat.

What I want from Ultimate is at least better offerings than on Smash for Wii U. That game was so barebones it was disappointing. A bigger, better Adventure Mode like in Melee would be a good compromise. I'm sure there's all kinds of neat things they could do with that. A retooled Smash Run on top of that would also be nice, but Adventure Mode is the most I'm expecting.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
I really enjoyed Smash Run, so I think some of the more fun modes like that should show up. I'd like to also see some of the Adventure mode type stuff, since that might get kind of crazy with such a huge roster now. I didn't mind the WiiU's single player stuff for the most part, although things like Smash Tour are kind of forgettable.

One thing I'd really like to see come back is a proper Break the Targets mode. Maybe even board the platforms like in Smash 64. And obviously HRC has to come back or the entire game will just fail miserably.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
An Adventure Mode like Melee's with some secret character unlock conditions, like unlocking Luigi by touching the flagpole at a certain time, would be really cool. Incorporating more series and characters would be a lot of fun. Add some Smash Run aspects into it, such as the enemies and stat pickups, and I'd be pleased.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I really like Melee's Adventure mode, so I'd like to see it return. That said, I wouldn't be averse to some sort of Subspace mode.

As for Classic mode- I really liked the setup of Soul Calibur II's arcade mode where each character's single player experience is slightly different. Including a small cutscene with who their midboss was, exclusive to that character. I think that would be fun in Smash Ultimate

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh yeah, single player for 4 was TRASH! I get it, people want to play Smash with others, but not everyone has a group of friends who can pop by whenever or a stable internet connection to be able to do nothing but online matches.

A Melee-style adventure mode, maybe expanded with a section for each series, would be amazing. Throw a few series bosses into that, and you're golden.

I'd also like to see Smash Run return. Not a fan of using the powers, but just going through and collecting stat enhancements made it great time. That's actually what got most of the play time for me in 4.

A proper classic mode. None of the BS that we got in 4 - I want it like Melee, where you get a set number of fights (1v1, 2v2, 1v1, 3vGiant, etc) with randomized opponents. I wasn't really a fan of Brawl's set-opponents-but-random-battletype. Also, I'm still trying to decide if I like All-Star better as Melee (randomized) or in reverse Smash appearance order. Random would definitely add replayability.

Also define a stage for each character as their 'home stage,' so that All-Star or Classic versus that character will be on their stage. Like Link with the Great Plateau Tower, Young Link on Great Bay, etc.

Including a small cutscene with who their midboss was, exclusive to that character. I think that would be fun in Smash Ultimate
SO AWESOME!

I'd love to see something like that. Bonus points if all characters got a different midboss more like Calibur II, not like Calibur III where everyone except a few had either Raphael or Cervantes.

Untouch

Smash Master
A challenge mode similar to melee's.
It's a lot more suitable to speedrun, compared to brawl and 4.

Last edited:

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Adventure mode similar to melee. it had quick cutscenes in it & maybe add something similar to PlayStation all stars rival cutscenes before each battel maybe add different types of battles like a 1 VS 2 against 2 warios classic outfit & wario ware wario in a coin battel & fun thing like that

Enchess

Smash Lord
-Melee style adventure mode
-real Classic mode
-Event mode with creative or funny events
-Brawl style challenge wall

Things that are way to much to expect, but I'd happily pay for DLC containing all of them:
-individual break the targets
-individual board the platforms
-Trophy Tussle events
-Smash version of great cave offensive

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Literally anything just so long as it’s better than the pitiful single player in Smash 4. It doesn’t even have to be as grand as Brawl’s, though I would love it if it was.

Khao

Smash Lord
Adventure mode is a must. I'm not a fan of Melee's though. I don't need another Brawl, with a huge campaign and a story, but it'd be nice if there was more of a focus on side-scrolling levels, of which Melee only had two proper ones.

Imagine a set of 10 sidescrolling stages based on existing franchises, placed on a map similar to the 3DS's classic mode, with brancing paths an ****. Add unique secrets and exits on each stage, Brawl-style bosses, minigames hidden around the place in a Donkey Kong fashion to unlock special trophies (or characters?)... the thing wouldn't have to be huge, but with just a bit of effort, it could be highly replayable, as you'd always find something new on each playthrough, which I think is Smash's single Player biggest problem (the game expects you to clear all modes with all characters but they never change in the slightest) .

Other than that, just let me Break the ****ing Targets!

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
As others have said, anything more than 4's single player would be good. I'm confident they'll offer up something good since we can play this on the go and we'll need something to play besides online matches.

I know the 3DS version was pretty bare-bones too, but I blame that more on the fact that they had to split resources trying to make both versions appealing.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
-Melee style adventure mode
-real Classic mode
-Event mode with creative or funny events
-Brawl style challenge wall

Things that are way to much to expect, but I'd happily pay for DLC containing all of them:
-individual break the targets
-individual board the platforms
-Trophy Tussle events
-Smash version of great cave offensive
I'd like individual break the targets too, but Brawl's wouldn't be too bad. With like 70 characters, it would be a pain to have individual courses for everybody. Plus I didn't mind Brawl's- it was interesting to see who could do it easily and who had a tougher time of it.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I'd like individual break the targets too, but Brawl's wouldn't be too bad. With like 70 characters, it would be a pain to have individual courses for everybody. Plus I didn't mind Brawl's- it was interesting to see who could do it easily and who had a tougher time of it.
I got bored of Brawl's target test before I got halfway through the cast. The thing about target test (and platforms) that made it fun in the previous games was how it required you to learn a little bit about your fighter. As a kid, I somehow didn't realize I could control PK Thunder until target test. I didn't know wall jumping was a thing until I had to use it for Target test. I also learned about Link's hookshot mechanics from Target test.

Those modes served as little mini-tutorials to what made each character special. I can already imagine one for Shulk that requires Speed to get through falling spikes and Jump to get to a really high target.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I think it’d be nice if there could be an individual target break for every series, since I definitely know every character is likely undoable. However whether that’d benDLC or not remains, because that’s still a whole lot of work.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
I really want break the targets to come back, but I think bringing back the brawl-styled target test could be problematic. Namely, every map would have to be possible for characters like :ultlittlemac:and that would really limit the challenge for the rest of the roster. But at the same time we can't reasonably expect individual tests like 64 and Melee. So the best compromise I think is custom target tests, honestly. The game could give you a few default maps that work for all characters like Brawl, and then give a mode to make individual tests. Players could upload their maps, and the dev team could even make their own for each character over the game's life span. Assuming stage builder is coming back, they could just use that interface for target test. You'd just set the background/theme, song, and character the test is designed for. The more crazy hazards like lava would fit better in a target test stage too, and if they brought back the features/hazards from Brawl's stage builder like the cannons and moving platforms it'd be near perfect. As a :ultmegaman: main in 4, I'd love to see tests that use the character to his full potential.

Enchess

Smash Lord
I really want break the targets to come back, but I think bringing back the brawl-styled target test could be problematic. Namely, every map would have to be possible for characters like :ultlittlemac:and that would really limit the challenge for the rest of the roster. But at the same time we can't reasonably expect individual tests like 64 and Melee. So the best compromise I think is custom target tests, honestly. The game could give you a few default maps that work for all characters like Brawl, and then give a mode to make individual tests. Players could upload their maps, and the dev team could even make their own for each character over the game's life span. Assuming stage builder is coming back, they could just use that interface for target test. You'd just set the background/theme, song, and character the test is designed for. The more crazy hazards like lava would fit better in a target test stage too, and if they brought back the features/hazards from Brawl's stage builder like the cannons and moving platforms it'd be near perfect. As a :ultmegaman: main in 4, I'd love to see tests that use the character to his full potential.
I still think a DLC with individual target tests might be the best option. I'd be willing to pay extra for that If we aren't getting that, then I'd prefer categories of target test based on abilities. Like a projectile-character target test and a multi-jump character target test.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Give me a mode that unlocks basically every character by the time you've completed it and make the completion process enjoyable.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I want a streamlined Classic Mode. Basically go back to how games prior to Smash 4 did it. All-Star Mode definitely needs to be streamlined as the roster is simply too large to be enjoyable. Adventure Mode can be Melee like and I thought was definitely most preferable for me.

Training Mode I'd like to just include a record dummy function that other modern fighting games have. It makes it so much easier to learn DI options.

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
* Bring back Board the Platforms and Break the Targets, at least make it like Brawl. Stadium was so fun back then but Smash 4 ruined it.

* Boss Battle mode, but this time maybe we can have one player be a boss and the other be a character?

* Also, a minor thing is to make the enemies in Multi-Man actually look like enemies based off Smash, the first three did this right.

* Event matches could be better, I'd like to fight Bowser's final Smash or bring back giga bowser, and make the last one memorable. Brawl and Melee's final event matches were so good, I had to look up who the enemies were in Smash 4's.

* Classic mode to be a combination of all the past games, I'd really like to have Race to the Finish, Target Test, and Master Core in the same game.

* Training mode could be a lot better, way too much that can be improved, because I'm definitely not getting some "training" with this.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
There is a lot that could be add,

Classic Mode
Have it more like it was in previous games. Its called "classic" for a reason.

All-Star Mode
They should make it game specific rather than time specific. So all the Mario character, all the Zelda character. etc. Depending how diverse they want it they could do all the 3rd parties and all the retro (Duck Hunt, Rob, Ice Climbers, etc).

Boss Battles
I really missed this but I want some improvements. First majority should be bosses from represented games like gohma from Zelda, Rayquaza from Pokemon, Yellow Devil from Megaman, etc. They could have exceptions like Master Hand, Tabuu, Master Core but none of those subspace bosses. Also in boss mode you should be able to select which bosses you want to fight and it should record your time with how long your beat that boss with that particular character.

Break the Targets and Board the Platform
The way it was done in brawl I think would work the best. As much as I would like character specific challenges like in Melee and 64 I think that would be too crazy for this type of roster. If anything get rid of that weird angry birds knock off that Smash4 has.

Adventure Mode...Maybe?
I would like to have an adventure mode like it was in Melee where you moved through the worlds as different character. There was something really satisfying about falcon punching redeads and like likes. Instead of having one giant play through of all the games it could just randomly play through a series of areas so it will be different each time. Doubt it would happen but seems like a lot of fun.

Unique Unlocking Characters
I don't want to play X-number of matches to unlock somebody. I want to find and explore how to unlock them. Do challenges and such like it was old school.

Better Shops
I liked the buying certain trophies but wish they had the choice to buy custom equipment and music instead. I would also like if they did it something like Splatoon where you can shift to different ships and there would be a different shop keeper (Tom Nook, Happy Mask Salesman, etc..).

I think that covers most of it. Somethings like Stage Builder or Smash Tour I don't think counts as single player mode.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought, but image if we got something like adventure mode from Melee, with Subspace-like bosses, and the Smash Run stat feature?
I think this is very realistic. I would also be cool if you can choose more than 1 character like in Subspace. I imagine it would be 10-15 minute play time mode with a few different alternations. I can't see them doing anything with a written story with cutscenes or even text.

Khao

Smash Lord
Something that randomly ocurred to me is that I really freaking hope there's a way to speed up the process of unlocking character trophies. Getting 2 trophies for every character by simply going through each of the main single player modes, once per trophy becomes a hell of a grind ridiculously quickly. And also I feel like it kinda discourages you from replaying the mode as your favorite character, because you wouldn't be unlocking another trophy for them. I got all Classic Mode trophies on the 3DS, but I couldn't bring myself to do the same thing once again for All-Star Mode, and certainly not to repeat it on Wii U, where I still don't have all character trophies even after all this time.

With 68 character (or 65 considering Pokémon Trainer is treated as one) and two "main" single player modes, you're gonna have to do a single player run 130 times. And probably more considering this is very unlikely to be the full roster. That's completely freaking ridiculous if you ask me, not to mention that it could potentially be even more if they decide to include a third "main" single player mode with unique trophies, like Melee did with its Adventure Mode.

I think to potential solutions are 1: Have Classic and All-Star give the same character trophy, so you don't have to waste so much time per-character, or 2: Allow you to choose multiple characters on each playthrough to unlock multiple trophies at once, with each character being your stock.

Option 2 is my favorite. They could even play with the idea of a risk-vs-reward system that lets you use more characters on higher difficulties, but only letting you unlock trophies for the characters that "survive". Like, easy mode, select two characters. You're not going to lose because it's easy mode, so you'll get two trophies. Normal mode, select three characters. It's a bit harder, so you might lose a character or two, you'll end up with potentially 3 trophies, but if you screw up you'll only end with just a single trophy. Hard mode, select four characters. You're very likely to lose a few fighters, but if you're good enough at the game you can potentially make the process twice as fast than if you were playing on easy, as yout get twice the trophies if you lose no lives. But since it's hard mode, if you're not good enough at the game, you're very likely to win with only a single trophy. The only weird thing about this idea is that you get more lives on harder difficulties, which sounds kinda backwards, so I guess the change in difficulty would have to be pretty extreme for this to work.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I've put thought to this due to some variation of this post showing up at least once a week, but... honestly I'm no closer to an answer. I feel like I'll only really do single player early in the game's life when I'm unlocking characters, for about hour long bursts during lunches at work. So, it's hard to know what is ideal for me really.

Actually, now that I'm typing I remember I did have an idea for a map based event mode.

Basically you'd pick the mode and be presented with a large platformer-esque map of "levels" each representing a different event. But, rather than being a linear progression, there would be starting points based on the franchises represented in the original Smash Bros. roster. So say you pick the Mario starting point, you'd do event matches themed around the Mario series, working further and further away from the starting point and branching out until you eventually start to hit other franchises. Different starting points would be closer to different other franchises obviously, so this would allow you to target the stuff you're more interested in. For example, maybe the Pokémon portion of the map is really close to the Fire Emblem portion of the map, where as the Metroid portion is way on the other side. If you wanted to unlock Marth right away, you'd probably want to knock out a bunch of the Pokémon stuff first.

This obviously works best for the biggest/most represented franchises in the game, but, I still think it could work by grouping similar genres/aesthetics. Metroid for example doesn't have a ton of representation, but, you could dedicate a certain portion of the map to space/high tech as a whole and you'd end up with stuff like Metroid, Star Fox, maybe even MGS grouped closer together.

SHOTSTUNDAVE

Smash Rookie
I want something like Melee's Adventure mode, but with subspace bosses and cutscenes instead of normal fights. Maybe there could be an element of randomization so you're not just going through the same sequence with 66+ characters.

Top Bottom