• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you want/expect from a new Smash Bros Game?

FleshMob Productions

Smash Rookie
Hallo everyone,

this is my my first post here and I hope to get a few interesting insights from the community.

I am currently developing a 2D fighting game with 3D graphics. The main influence for the mechanics is Super Smash Bros Melee. I loved this game a kid/teenager and still do.

What I want to know is what mechanics or features do you want to see from a new "Smash Bros" like game? We already have Brawlout, Brawlhalla, Rivals of Aether, Indie Game Battle and some others. And while some are more similar to Smash Bros then others, I wanted to know what motivated you to play Smash Bros. or similar platform fighting party games :) Preferably the game should attract casual players but should also be suitable for the competitive scene (although this could be difficult)

An interesting article on Gamasutra called "What makes an Indie Hit?" refers to those things as "hooks"

Some hooks that drive me to play Smash Bros.:

• Very easy accessible compared to other fighting games (no complicated combos to memorize etc.)
  • A roster of iconic (Nintendo) characters
  • Character variety (Lot of characters with different abilities, just a few "clones" and even those few have own traits)
  • Freedom of movement (better compared to conventional (2d) fighters like Street Fighter etc.)
  • Interesting main mechanic (push characters off stage, not just diminishing their health)
  • Items complement gameplay
  • Tight controls

Now I would be happy with a game that plays just like Smash Bros Melee but with different characters. But given that there are already a number a games with a very similar gameplay, I don't know if it is a good idea to go that route for a commercial game. Maybe I find some interesting and different mechanics to add in the future myself. But for now, I wanted to ask you what could be implemented?

So - What are hooks that would drive to to play a new fighting game similar to Smash Bros.?

Should it have similar controls? What mechanics should be kept, what can be changed/improved?

Please let me know :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom