• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think will be the next fighting game series to have a playable character in Super Smash Bros.?

3rd Fighting Game Series in Smash

• Tekken

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • Soul Calibur

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Dead or Alive

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guilty Gear

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Mortal Kombat

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Samurai Showdown

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

toonito

Smash Ace
Street Fighter was the 1st fighting game series represented in Smash through Ryu and later Ken and Fatal Fury was the 2nd via Terry Bogard. What do you think will be the 3rd FG series to join Smash?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
no, punch out was the first
Punch-Out is more an arcade brawler, as there was no PvP aspect till all the way up in the Wii version. As a dedicated 1v1 fighter with multiple character choices SF is the first one, unless you wanna include characters who appeared in Fighting games like Sonic(The Fighters), Snake(DreamMix), MegaMan(MvC), PAC-MAN(SxT) or Link(SCII).

As for the topic, well the biggest selling Fighting games as of writing are Smash(59m),Mortal Kombat(49m),Tekken(48m),Street Fighter(42m) and Soul Calibur(15m)*. Now of these options SF is already covered and Mortal Kombat has the whole issue of having games get legitimately banned in many regions(including Japan) against it so that leaves both of Namco's flagship fighters to pick up the helm with a rep....and well Namco is a developer for Ultimate anyway so to say they have a notable advantage would be an understatement.

*#5 is actually the Naruto Ultimate Ninja series(27m) but that's excluded for relatively obvious reasons.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Gonna be bold and say Mortal Kombat. Smash fanbase has been BTFO’d plenty of times with characters seemed impossible like Cloud, Snake, Joker, Ridley, and Banjo. I can totally see Sakurai defying expectations and putting in Scorpion. After all, he has been toned down before in Injustice, and he was in the Japanese version of Injustice so it’s not like the character is banned himself.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Punch-Out is more an arcade brawler, as there was no PvP aspect till all the way up in the Wii version. As a dedicated 1v1 fighter with multiple character choices SF is the first one, unless you wanna include characters who appeared in Fighting games like Sonic(The Fighters), Snake(DreamMix), MegaMan(MvC), PAC-MAN(SxT) or Link(SCII).
then why does everything refer to it as a fighting series? i mean his deign is from the wii punch out, there plenty of arguments in his favour

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Gonna be bold and say Mortal Kombat. Smash fanbase has been BTFO’d plenty of times with characters seemed impossible like Cloud, Snake, Joker, Ridley, and Banjo. I can totally see Sakurai defying expectations and putting in Scorpion. After all, he has been toned down before in Injustice, and he was in the Japanese version of Injustice so it’s not like the character is banned himself.
DUDE. . . Mortal Kombat is too Gory for An e10+ Game like Smash!!!
Seriously; I Don't even want to think about how Disgusting seeing my Favorite Smash Fighters being literally ripped in half would be!!

P.S. If Mai Shiranui and her exposed Cleavage is not going to be represented in Smash; Why should a Gory Fighter like any MK Fighter be in as well?!! Especially since Mortal Kombat is not a thing in Japan!!

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
DUDE. . . Mortal Kombat is too Gory for An e10+ Game like Smash!!!
Seriously; I Don't even want to think about how Disgusting seeing my Favorite Smash Fighters being literally ripped in half would be!!

P.S. If Mai Shiranui and her exposed Cleavage is not going to be represented in Smash; Why should a Gory Fighter like any MK Fighter be in as well?!! Especially since Mortal Kombat is not a thing in Japan!!
Because he can be toned down? Have you played Injustice?

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I wish for Sophitia or Cassandra from Soul Calibur, but since the N64 days I have hoped for a Killer Instinct rep.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Because he can be toned down? Have you played Injustice?
No;

But a Lot of Hard-core Gore-obsessed MK fans would be P***ed off with their series not being represented faithfully with all that blood & guts; Remember the Nintendo Controversies in the 90s with the Green Blood?!! they were absolutely Furious; and also hardcore Gore-obsessed MK fans also didn't like DC VS MK for the exact same reason[I like it for that reason; as well as Joker being the one to finally link Star Trek's Khan to Shao Kahn; Seriously why isn't there already a MK SFM Parody of that Iconic Scene from Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan by now?!! With Shao Kahn as Khan]

And Plus; MK isn't big in Japan; and as such; I see no reason for sakurai to include characters who wouldn't appeal somewhat to a Japanese Audience; He's not just putting in characters that the Western Hemisphere wants; He has to keep the Japanese Audience & Market in mind as well!!

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
No;

But a Lot of Hard-core Gore-obsessed MK fans would be P***ed off with their series not being represented faithfully with all that blood & guts; Remember the Nintendo Controversies in the 90s with the Green Blood?!! they were absolutely Furious; and also hardcore Gore-obsessed MK fans also didn't like DC VS MK for the exact same reason[I like it for that reason; as well as Joker being the one to finally link Star Trek's Khan to Shao Kahn; Seriously why isn't there already a MK SFM Parody of that Iconic Scene from Star Trek 2: the Wrath of Khan by now?!! With Shao Kahn as Khan]

And Plus; MK isn't big in Japan; and as such; I see no reason for sakurai to include characters who wouldn't appeal somewhat to a Japanese Audience; He's not just putting in characters that the Western Hemisphere wants; He has to keep the Japanese Audience & Market in mind as well!!
I think at this point MK fans would be happy Scorpion even got in. Again, you continue to ignore my Injustice point where he was toned down and appeared in a Japanese game.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I feel like between Street Fighter and Fatal Fury, we've got our 2D fighting game reps. So maybe it's time to move on to 3D fighters, and since Virtua Fighter' s main character is already in as an Assist, that really leaves Tekken and Soul Calibur.

I want to mention DoA. While I feel like Hayabusa could get in. He'd be a Ninja Gaiden rep rather than a DoA rep.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Honestly, I hope for a King of Fighters rep myself, but I'd be cool with a Samurai Shodown rep even though I really need to play the games because SNK is just that cool. My 'unexpected fighter' wish would be for a character from Eternal Champions such as Larcen myself. Although I do have to agree with S SSBCandidates that I am surprised more gamers aren't asking for a Soul Edge/Calibur rep. Wasn't it a pretty iconic series for Namco alongside Tekken? I'd be cool with a rep like Sophitia or another character.

Brodemmars

Smash Apprentice
Voted Guilty Gear because we got the River City Ransom spirits, since Nintendo had to talk to Arc System to get the rights to use the RCR characters as spirits we might also get Sol Badguy (or some other Arc System rep) as DLC.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Honestly, I hope for a King of Fighters rep myself, but I'd be cool with a Samurai Shodown rep even though I really need to play the games because SNK is just that cool. My 'unexpected fighter' wish would be for a character from Eternal Champions such as Larcen myself. Although I do have to agree with S SSBCandidates that I am surprised more gamers aren't asking for a Soul Edge/Calibur rep. Wasn't it a pretty iconic series for Namco alongside Tekken? I'd be cool with a rep like Sophitia or another character.
Thanks! I try not to bring it because people get annoyed I mention Sophitia for Smash Bros.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I don't think we'll get another fighting game character.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would love to have Sophitia as a playable character. If she nor Cassandra are possible, then Nightmare. But seriously, Soul Calibur. The fighting game that started the trend of guest characters deserves it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we get another fighting game character in Ultimate I will say Nightmare from Soul Calibur. If the next one is in Smash 6 than I will say Heihachi from Tekken. I know Tekken is the bigger more iconic franchise, but I think it has miss the boat in Ultimate with Heihachi appeaing as part of one of Pac-Man's taunts. To me, that's a quite deconfirmation.

People can tell me otherwise, but I think Tekken is out for Ultimate. We are getting another Namco rep and it's either going be a Tales rep or Soul Calibur rep.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I Don't care. . .

Injustice DOESN'T Count. . .

that's a DC Game, NOT a MK game
All of your previous points are in the worst and typical arguments against MK I read in Smash speculation. You might as well have threw a bone to Metal Gear and Bayonette. Metroid can be gory in its own unique way even. Also, your end quote to the argument is very contradictory. I really hope Scorpion gets in now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have to say even with Mortal Kombat being banned from Japan because of all the gore and blood, I don't think that completely takes out Scorpion. They could easily tone him down for the kiddies.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
The purpose of this is oddly specific but imo it’s either Tekken or Guilty Gear. I’d personally prefer Power Stone to get a rep but that isn’t happening. Soul really isn’t getting in over Tekken and Mirysl Kombat is a long shot considering the severe lack of appeal in Japan and the gore which is an appealing aspect of the series to the general consumer and even the hardcore fans would need to be lacked which wouldn’t really feel right considering how much attention Sakurai pays to the source material a character comes from in order to implement them correctly. I fully understand what I am saying may and probably is incorrect but it’s imo after all

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Sakurai and the people have spoken: Tekken has become the 3rd (or 4th if you count Min Min) fighting game franchise in Smash. What franchise will be next?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Other than Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat is the MOST deserving. Soul Calibur is the ONLY exception that should come before MK. MK should be represented before Darkstalkers.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Other than Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat is the MOST deserving. Soul Calibur is the ONLY exception that should come before MK. MK should be represented before Darkstalkers.
im curious as to your criteria for deserving

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I'd suggest probably Mortal Kombat in a post-Tekken landscape. As much as series like Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct would be really cool additions, and how Soulcaliber would probably be the "second" choice, I would suggest that Mortal Kombat has more of a "generalised presence" mostly due to its... interesting legacy. Even so, I don't know if Nintendo would even want the series represented, given that it is closely linked with the classical "HUR DUR IT HAS GORE" argument. Though toning a rep down would work. Quite well, actually. Like in some of the M.U.G.E.N games.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Mortal Kombat or Guilty Gear. But as unlikely as it is I would love to see Lethal League Blaze get a fighter.
That sounds like a brilliant shout. A true "projectile manip" character in Smash is an unusual archetype we haven't really seen much of yet, though it's sadly probably not big enough to beat out MK or GG... god I'd love to see some of the music though

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
They should promote Akira Yuki to an actual fighter so we can have the truly Street Fighter vs Virtua Fighter vs Tekken (vs Fatal Fury/KOF). Based on their blue gi costume with the low poly model as an alt.

A button for punches and B for kicks, with the guard button they can mapped his full VF moveset.

full representation of 2 iconic 2D (SF and FF/KOF) and 2 3D (TK and VF) would be amazing for smash.

IzukuXYang4Life

Banned via Warnings
Mortal Kombat Or Killer Instinct.

Those two would be my two most wanted next fighting game reps in Smash.

Along with Virtual Fighter And Darkstalkers.

I'd say also throw in BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, And Soul Calibur.

But I'm tired of seeing nothing but sword fighters in the DLC for Smash Ultimate (Knowing they would likely throw in Ragna and Sol Badguy).

But I'd go with Mortal Kombat since Fighter Pass 2 doesn't have an M Rated Character yet (My Number One Choice Would Be Sub-Zero).

Feel free to either agree or disagree with me.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Well, now that Kazuya has arrived I'll give my two cents for next game:

-Samurai Showdown is likely imo due to SNK being fairly easy to work with

-Guilty Gear would serve as a good ''company rep'' for Arc System and Sol (somehow) managed to get a decent following during FP2. I'd say they will take that into consideration for next game.

Other than Soul Calibur due to Namco working on the game, I just don't see anything else being plausible.
Mortal Kombat... is in a weird spot to say the least. While it can get toned down, Sakurai may not be happy with this due to his philosophy of making everything 100% accurate to the source material (and we all know this wouldn't be for good boys and girls). The franchise also is practically non-existent in Japan and Nintendo doesn't seem to want anything to do with MK when it comes to Smash. Scorpion is my MW fighting game character but I just don't see it happening unless they make Smash a T rated game again.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I feel like Guilty Gear would be the most likely. Sol seems like a pretty natural fit for Smash, and has picked up a lot of popularity during Ultimate's speculation. Though, it is difficult to say how closely the dev team even pays attention to the speculation scene; I kinda get the feeling they don't pay much attention, and we only got things like Everyone Is Here, K Rool, Ridley, Simon, and Banjo because of the ballot. Still, Sol feels like he could be a very Sakurai character.

I also think Dead or Alive is likely, but only through technicality. Ryu Hayabusa is a clear frontrunner for a retro rep, but he'd be way more Ninja Gaiden and probably only have a few DoA references.

toonito

Smash Ace
man even though Ken is my favorite SF character and an obvious pick for an Echo Fighter imagine we could've had Sol vs Ryu vs Terry vs Kazuya in Smash Ultimate :(

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
So are there any easy to get in to traditional fighting games on the switch people might recommend?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Given that we have only one known character left (despite my optimism), and that Nintendo likes to end with a very current first party character,
I think the only possibility is Ring Fit Adventure (and my guess is Dragaux).

Top Bottom