• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament What do you think of the Phase Shifts?

{Kyro}

Smash Apprentice
Pokken tournament has just been released, and one of its most novel concepts is the phase shift. It certainly adds some freshness to the game, but so far I've heard mixed opinions about it. Post what you think of the mechanic here!

Personally, I am a huge fan of the phase shifts so far. I think it adds a great deal of depth to the game and allows for a sort of drifting between intense combat and more defensive, spacing play.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
The phase shift adds more to this game than I could have imagined. The game not only requires extensive knowledge of each fighter's attributes, stage position (both for continuing strings and to avoid being pressured into the corner), and mechanics like the supports/synergy, but also in two very different perspectives. It's not enough to just outplay/focus your entire gameplan of either Duel or Field, and not caring or being prepared for the other. The game wouldn't be nearly as interesting if it was just one or the other, IMO. Even from a casual standpoint.

pH1988

Smash Rookie
I think I would have said something very similar to IsmaR. I find it very interesting!

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I feel like it happens too often? Sometimes I want to pull off a combo but it will automatically switch and end my combo. Still a very interesting and easy to understand feature though. I can clearly tell when I'm in one mode or the other, and that's good.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
i think its good that it forces the switch after a few hits. if it didn't, this game would be full riddled with endless juggles

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
They did things so well.

Not only do the frequent phase shift have the potential to help victims recover and ease some pressure, but the fact that it gives solid burst meter to the attacker means that repeated successful mixups can make things just as rewarding for the player in the lead.

The*insertage*reviewer

Smash Rookie
NNID
The12reviewee
To me the phase shifting is garbage because my attacks randomly change when it switches to the 3d perspective. It makes it so I have to remember an additional 15 moves and combos when the game is complex enough with the 2d perspective.

_Vicious_

Smash Rookie
NNID
Vicious09
i was not a fan at first but finding out what combos you can do before a phase shift is quite fun ... makes you think about what moves you can do that will do the most damage before it shifts ... i have grew to like it now :)

pH1988

Smash Rookie
I feel like it happens too often? Sometimes I want to pull off a combo but it will automatically switch and end my combo. Still a very interesting and easy to understand feature though. I can clearly tell when I'm in one mode or the other, and that's good.
From what I got out of the tutorial, certain combos and moves will cause a phase shift.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's obviously there just to prevent infinite combos from being a thing. Pretty much just a perspective shift that's a minor inconvenience.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Phase shift is an interesting mechanic. i think it exsists to make sure that combos dont continually trap people against walls, and to make sure that no given charactrr can completely dominate the battlefield. as a Gardevoir main, ive landed some devastating combos that seemed like it would render my enemy defenseless, but the phase simply shifted when i did too much. at first i thought it was an inconvenience, but noting the health recovered, synergy gained, and adventageous setup position im placed in (if i initiated the shift) i think its actually a solid method of mixing up the game without doing something dangerous like stage changes. It is a little lazily implemented imo, but that doesnt make it a hindrance, only a misunderstood tool.

bluesm0ke

Smash Rookie
NNID
sdlonghorns11
i think its good that it forces the switch after a few hits. if it didn't, this game would be full riddled with endless juggles
It wouldn't be that much of an issue considering the growth rate of damage scaling. Each hit would eventually do 1

Deaga

Smash Cadet
My main complaint about Phase Shifting is that, in general, Field Phase feels very bland to me. On Duel Phase you have both zoning and combos, but Field Phase seems to always either be a case of "I'll try to outzone you and keep on this phase forever" for characters that are good on it or "I'll have to change into Field Phase ASAP" for Pokémon that are bad on it. On the other hand, nobody seems to be in such a hurry to get out of Duel Phase unless they're cornered, in which case it's less of "I want to go to field phase" and more "I want a 'Get out of jail free' card!".

The mechanic itself is very interesting and I actually like the "Get out of a bad situation" aspect, specially since bouncing off a wall in the Phase Shift deals extra damage. So you get out of a bad situation, but you pay a price for it! It's just that Field Phase doesn't feel interesting at all.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
My main complaint about Phase Shifting is that, in general, Field Phase feels very bland to me. On Duel Phase you have both zoning and combos, but Field Phase seems to always either be a case of "I'll try to outzone you and keep on this phase forever" for characters that are good on it or "I'll have to change into Field Phase ASAP" for Pokémon that are bad on it. On the other hand, nobody seems to be in such a hurry to get out of Duel Phase unless they're cornered, in which case it's less of "I want to go to field phase" and more "I want a 'Get out of jail free' card!".

The mechanic itself is very interesting and I actually like the "Get out of a bad situation" aspect, specially since bouncing off a wall in the Phase Shift deals extra damage. So you get out of a bad situation, but you pay a price for it! It's just that Field Phase doesn't feel interesting at all.
The wall-bounce mechanic is a nice idea... too bad it takes so long to land from it that fast Pokemon can just catch up and continue to bully you as you land.

Last edited:
Top Bottom