• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think of Dittos?

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Pretty much what the title asks. There always seems to be a variety of opinions on Ditto Matches.

Some find them disrespectful or annoying, while others find them to be fun. My own opinion tends to differ on the situation at times. During online matches it can sometimes be hard to tell if they switched to your character solely due to the fact they main them as well and the need them to face you, or are doing it for the pure disrespect aspect of it. After all just because you're playing a character doesn't mean that character is off limits for the opponent. I try give them a benefit of a doubt if possible.

But sometimes it often feels like they have no idea what they're doing, and is clear they are doing worse than the previous matches with you. I have no clue whats going on in my opponents head unless they make it blatantly obvious, but I can't help but feel insulted and consider the ditto switch unnecessary if they do a lot worse than before in the previous matches.

Despite that I tend to find Ditto matches amusing sometimes, regardless of the outcome.

Unless someone is doing it for the obvious pure disrespect (such as insults after and leaves) I don't have an issue with them.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You see, since I main Lucina, "ditto" ends up being a broader term.
What is a Lucina ditto? Is it just Lucina vs. Lucina or Lucina vs. Marth counts as well?
Because if we are talking about the potential "disrespectful" aspect of somebody dittoing you in For Glory, then if I play Lucina, win against somebody and they switch to Marth despite not even maining or playing him properly, then it's obviously 100% guaranteed an attempt to make fun/disrespect me.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I shall cut straight to the chase and say that ditto matches are always a fun challenge, even if your opponent salt-picked the same character y'all did. It gives me a chance to pit my :4lucina: and :rosalina: against others who main them too. When it comes to dittos, it basically boils down to seriously changing up from y'all's usual strategy and using that fighter's resources smarter than your enemy.

With that said, do For Glory scrubs never learn that dittoing your main for the sake of disrespect rarely ends well for them?

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Hated them back in the 3DS online '15 days b/c they show up on the second rounds and is know exactly where it goes from there. I didn't like them whether I win or lose (even if I did lose I can thankfully pull out Link to shut them down).

Nowadays it's just whatever. Just go in there and get the job done.

:4robinf::4tlink: dittos sound pretty boring tbh. Then again I'm not complete with them in 1v1s yet.

A :4ryu: ditto would be pretty hype. I still need to work on him though. Trying to master him more at the moment.

:4marth: and :4cloud2: dittos are pretty fun from my personal experience.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
People ditto me all the time, call me a spammer, and leave, whether they win or lose. I've never had anyone ditto me NOT to be disrespectful.

I find Kirby or Jigglypuff dittos really fun though

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I like dittos personally. Playing such an uncommon character like Wii Fit Trainer, they almost never happen unless someone is salty, but they are fun nonetheless. After all, if they lose (which is usually the case) it's fun to exploit the character weaknesses I know inside and out. If they win, then they probably earned it, and maybe even showed me some trick I didn't know before. It's a win-win.

Also, I'll be the first to admit that I sometimes switch to ditto someone on purpose if it looks like they have no idea what they are doing, just to show them some of the basic tricks with the character. It's just the easiest way for them to learn things, like how spamming F-smashes with Bowser or Shadow Sneaks with Greninja just isn't a good strategy.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Dittos are generally pretty fun, but it can depend on the character. I enjoy them from time to time.

You can learn about your main and teach others about your character as well (or vice versa). You can also learn some cool tricks. It's a real test to see if you really know how to play your character.
You never know when you may have to ditto someone, on FG there could be a hint of salt or just a big coincidence.
Wario dittos can be kinda fun if it's not all bike-spam. Usually the first waft always wins :4wario2:
Dededittos are pretty cool too. it's fun to try out combo strings and some cool Gordo tricks :4dedede:

ScarletShepherd24M

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ben.22
Pretty much what the title asks. There always seems to be a variety of opinions on Ditto Matches.

Some find them disrespectful or annoying, while others find them to be fun. My own opinion tends to differ on the situation at times. During online matches it can sometimes be hard to tell if they switched to your character solely due to the fact they main them as well and the need them to face you, or are doing it for the pure disrespect aspect of it. After all just because you're playing a character doesn't mean that character is off limits for the opponent. I try give them a benefit of a doubt if possible.

But sometimes it often feels like they have no idea what they're doing, and is clear they are doing worse than the previous matches with you. I have no clue whats going on in my opponents head unless they make it blatantly obvious, but I can't help but feel insulted and consider the ditto switch unnecessary if they do a lot worse than before in the previous matches.

Despite that I tend to find Ditto matches amusing sometimes, regardless of the outcome.

Unless someone is doing it for the obvious pure disrespect (such as insults after and leaves) I don't have an issue with them.
for me at least, the dittos tend to come out after I beat the person using multiple characters with just my one. I don't know if that's indicating salt or just trying to learn the character, but if the person goes into that scenario and taunts after a single kill (despite me never taunting after I even 2 stock them) then I'm pretty sure it's disrespect by that time.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
As with your case I tend to feel like either they're doing it for fun, to see how their character matches up against yours, with respect, or doing it out of disrespect and maybe try to prove themselves to be better at the character than you are and rub it in your face. I try not to think like that too but I can't help it sometimes.

I try my best to only reserve those thoughts for when the person I'm playing against has been a jerk in general, as it's fair to assume they're doing it out of disrespect in that case., imo.

Disregarding the opponents mindset, I don't mind facing off against the same character I'm playing for the most part. It can be pretty fun at times.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
being that dittos give both players the exact same toolkit and that i mostly play mario, they're pretty fun if we're about on the same level.

if i get effortlessly bodied by a player leagues better than i am, or just straight up lose to a bad player, that's a different story. i also hate playing against marth as lucina for reasons.

Richard & Blaziken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Richard_Blaziken
3DS FC
1547-5283-8177
Greninja dittos are interesting. Momentum is huge in these matches, as well as reading your opponent's options and watching how they attempt follow-ups. Since Greninja has so many 50/50s, these tend to be very volatile. I enjoy dittos, even if the opponent is doing it out of "disrespect", but more often than not, I tend to think people are like "You beat my main with Greninja? Let me try this character!", since Greninja is a rare character to come up against, and even more uncommon for most players to lose against.

TheRealAstro

Smash Rookie
Honestly, just view it as a way to get better in dittos. Even if they are doing it out of disrespect, just take it as more practice.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I generally hate dittos, cause I play :4link: and everyone thinks they have a Link. And a random smash attack can steal stocks easy with him, so it rarely feels deserved.

Marth dittos are good though. Lots of resetting to neutral. Feels like fencing.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
:4peach: dittos can be pretty fun, and it's really easy to tell if your opponent has actually put effort into learning her or not.

:4ness: dittos are okay. It pretty much comes down to who can force the other to use their Mid-Air Jump before using a cheeky PSI Magnet off-stage against PK Thunder.

Last edited:

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
Eh, I have never had a problem with dittos. Not only is it nice to see another player of the character you main, but it gives yourself an opportunity to see how good you are with a character. That and other players can have different playstyles.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
I hate mirror matches with a passion.
Mainly because a dog fight is an utter pain in the ass all around, to watch and play.

Robin v Robin can be cool, though.

D

Deleted member

Well, even if your opponent switches to your main out of salt, I think such matches are good practice. You get a chance to play other people that main the same fighters you do and learn how to take advantage of your own fighters' weaknesses. If someone were to switch to my character, I hope you play them decently like I do. It's pointless to ditto me if you can't play him/her correctly so unless you want to improve with my best characters stick to your own.

By the way, am I the only one here that believes :4bayonetta: mirror matches are the tops?

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
I'll have a better chance at passing all of my classes then finding another:4palutena:.

I treat dittos no differently than a regular match,win or lose and move on.dittos do test to see if u know your character's strength and weakness and can learn a thing or two.

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
I absolutely hate dittos altogether.

To me Super Smash Bros. has always been about character diversity and a celebration of Nintendo's history, and it's just very, very boring to have two or more of the same character fighting.

So if I meet a :4yoshi: either IRL or online, I tend to use :4peach:instead and vice versa.

Last edited:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
They are jank, your character has the exact same frame data as your opponent's character, pressing an input 1 second late could cause you to lose the match because your opponent fsmashed faster than you could.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Mewtwo tennis matches make me want to off myself.
Other than that, though, they're fine.

SN Kurse

Smash Rookie
NNID
benxbaker
Rosa dittos are just awkward I feel. Little Mac dittos are a complete crap shoot. Luigi dittos are dope, though.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
When people switch to Cloud because he's "braindead". You can definitely tell the difference between someone who picks Cloud because they also main him (They're good and it's close) vs picking him because they are trying to tell you "Cloud OP you suck" (Dash&Smash fest). The second type of person is best dealt with by burning their double jump and grab releasing them to their death (they don't normally know how to make it back from this).

Uffe

Smash Hero
People ditto me all the time, call me a spammer, and leave, whether they win or lose. I've never had anyone ditto me NOT to be disrespectful.

I find Kirby or Jigglypuff dittos really fun though
That tends to be the case. Someone doesn't like how you defeat them, so they bring out the same character you use to try to prove something, and then they leave. It's very childish.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Well kirb... I think dittos are pretty cool. Def one of the cooler pokemons.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I shall cut straight to the chase and say that ditto matches are always a fun challenge, even if your opponent salt-picked the same character y'all did.
"Salt-picked". Nice. I think "salt-mined" would work better to not only describe what someone might do, but also to play on words.

Anyway, I know the feeling of people picking a character you main. It annoys me because I get the impression that it's done out of disrespect, as if that person will show you up. I don't think dittos prove one is a better player than the other. It might prove that one knows how to deal with that character, but beyond that, it doesn't matter.

Top Bottom