• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think is objectively the worst controller for competitive play in Smash history?

What is the worst controller for competitive play in Smash history?

• N64 controller

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Gamecube controller

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sideways Wii remote

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • Wii remote + Nunchuck

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Wii pro controller

• Wii U Gamepad

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Wii U Pro controller

• Nintendo Joy-Con

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Switch pro controller

• Joy-Cons attached to the screen

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Joy-Cons attached to the Joy-Con dual slot thingy

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This also includes Switch controllers, since people used them in the demo, and we should all have a good idea on how they work.

MrArska

Smash Cadet
NNID
aapelix
Switch FC
SW 2908 1984 5094
Sideways Wiimote is the only one without a thumbstick, which imo is a bad disadvantage

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
It's a hard pick between the Sideways Wiimote or the Wii remote paired up with the Nunchuck.

Either way, it's the Wii remote in the end.

I've seen some people share their contempt for the Wii U Gamepad, but I honestly didn't think it was all that bad. A screen is provided, and the control layout is fine, except for the part where you had to stretch your fingers awkwardly to cancel a match.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's a hard pick between the Sideways Wiimote or the Wii remote paired up with the Nunchuck.

Either way, it's the Wii remote in the end.

I've seen some people share their contempt for the Wii U Gamepad, but I honestly didn't think it was all that bad. A screen is provided, and the control layout is fine, except for the part where you had to stretch your fingers awkwardly to cancel a match.
The Wii U Gamepad is fine. I didn't bother to get the GameCube controller adapter for Smash 4 because the GamePad suited me just fine.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I actually use the sideways wii remote fine, but it's true that not having a second analog input makes it very hampering. I simply can't get used to the bulky gamepad and I don't feel like paying for a gamecube controller and an adapter. I got a switch pro controller, so that should work fine.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Is Joy-con on its side not going to be an option? If not, definitely Wiimote on its side. Like, I don't feel like I'm even playing the same game when I use that.

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
sideways wiimote, not enough buttons to play efficiently, I used to play wii remote + nunchuck, that was perfectly doable because you could still hold them in a natural position, sidewase wiimote is undoable because pressing b to shield is harder than it needs to be.

I have no clue about single joy-con, I doubt they will be that bad due to having enough buttons.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Is Joy-con on its side not going to be an option? If not, definitely Wiimote on its side. Like, I don't feel like I'm even playing the same game when I use that.
We are totally getting split joycon multiplayer: It's kinda the only way to do 8 players on 1 Switch.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I don't get how Nintendo expects people to play with a single joy con in SO MANY of their games! It's like using a Wiimote but much much worse. Most games seem unplayable by using a single joy con as a controller. It's like using half a controller!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Since Guitar Hero controller isn't an option, sideways Wiimote.

Try reliably hitting that B-button. And you have to have tap jump. No dedicated jump button. No dedicated grab button either. No C-stick. And have fun trying to tilt.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I once had to play with only the nes controller from nes classic, you can only use neutral special, jab, and taunts. Now that's the worst way I played.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I don't know much about how the weird switch controls will be like, but besides them, the sideways wii remote is the worst one for sure. You can't even up tilt with it!

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
I was too quick to hit N64 controller with how notoriously bad they are that I didn't even hit sideways Wiimote. :c

I think people are bashing the single Joycon too much. It literally has all the buttons needed for the commands to have singular buttons AND has an actual joystick. I think that's the minimum amount needed. I put in N64 specifically because of the strange layout of the controller whereas the Joycon has the standard layout as it is.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The Wii Remote doesn't have enough buttons to perform every possible action, and while it would be nice to use the directional Control Pad to move fighters, limiting that feature to the solo Wii Remote just feels like a waste.

D

Deleted member

Isn't literally one of the biggest buttons on the sideways Wiimote (A) default set to taunt?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't play competitively but I don't see how it could be anything other than sideways Wii remote.

Beautiful for NES games or really simple platformers. Garbage for anything else.

Top Bottom