• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you think about Smash 4's All star mode?

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
After completing All star mode on the hardest diffcultly, what do you guys think about this mode compared to other games?

I found it kind of easy compared to other games. They gave you a variety of health items which was good, but I would have liked an intense difficulty like in brawl. The AI seemed easy. I like the fact that they are killable easy, but having them smarter would made it more challenging. I also liked the theme of each battle. Fighting all mario characters then zelda characters was a cool idea. These are my opinions!

Here is my run of All star on the hardest difficulty. CAUTION: CONTAINS MAD HYPE!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I think they had to make this version easier to compensate for the larger cast compared to Brawl. Likewise, Brawl's hardest difficulty had to be easier than Melee's due to Brawl's larger cast over Melee. If we only had to fight one or two characters at a time in some stages as in previous versions, we would have to go through way too many rounds.

As someone who beat All-Star on Hard in this version with every character, I think they did the formula right. Crazy Orders is the true Intense All-Star mode, IMO, especially when trying to maximize the number of turns to the extreme.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Idk, I've always liked all-star. Even now that I play competitively (although mostly PM in that regard), I still have a lot of nostalgia for playing the single player modes back in the 64/Melee days as a kid. So fueled, by that, I still enjoy them.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
All Star Mode suffers from a lot of the things I hated about Brawl's version.

1. Predetermined order: In Melee, it felt like a different game every time because of the randomness. In Brawl... playing it got stale and I am quickly finding the same thing in 4.. I know they tried to focus on Nintendo, and video game, history but it happened at the expense of variety and fun.

2. Fighting the stages: Name of the game is win while taking as little damage as possible... determine factor between victory and defeat could be did I draw Spear Piller and Luigi's Mansion in Brawl, instead of Pokemon Stadium and Delfino Plazza, and in 4 Gamer instead of anything without a major stage hazard? I really wish there were different portals to step in where one could choose who's home level the game is contested in. Some hazard filled levels are fun, but not in a mode like this... I think those levels become as hated as they are because they are forced either by this mode, for fun online, and to a lesser degree classic.

I liked the different healing items more than the old just heart containers... but would have liked to see Mellee Randomness with choice of opponent's level with more healing items instead of what they gave. (More healing items to compensate for larger roster).

So yea... very displeased by how they kept what I hated about Brawls and added more frustration to it that doesn't add fun. That is just my opinion, and many have disagreed with me.

Last edited:

Comet Shrine

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurinPro
3DS FC
3539-8838-3028
The amount of characters seems overwhelming until you do it yourself. D:

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
Weird, I actually find it much harder due to the overwhelming amount of characters, I preffered the previous ones anyway though, fighting the groups game by game rather then time created.

Top Bottom