• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you remember most fondly from previous Smash installments?

Veggieburger_802

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7958-8584-9570
Every new Smash game has brought us an incredible amount of exciting content. Despite our gripes and disappointments, we can't deny that there's always tons of fun to be had when a new installment comes out. (Otherwise, we wouldn't keep buying them, right?)

But no matter how much awesome stuff they give us, no matter how many cool new characters we get to play with, we always have to say goodbye to some of our most beloved features. Even this time around, despite Nintendo taking great pains to ensure that “everyone is here,” there are still plenty of things for us to be nostalgic for.

So, of all the content that we've enjoyed over the years, from Board the Platforms to Poké Floats to Event Matches to that ridiculous Angry Birds-style target thing from Smash 4, what is it that you miss the most? Anything is fair game for discussion, but let's do our best to focus on why we loved these things, and try not to complain about how "Nintendo cut my favorite thing and I'm real mad about it."

Syprone

Smash Cadet
Subspace obviously and the coin launcher were my favorite things that never made it past Brawl. Also tripping. It was beautiful to see a meta knight trip and die.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Stage Builder and Subspace. Coin Launcher, too.

Veggieburger_802

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7958-8584-9570
I'm glad to hear other people liked coin launcher! I was the only one of my friends who really thought it was cool. The music was so chill, and the whole experience felt very zen. Sometimes I'd sink thousands of coins at a time into that thing.

Syprone

Smash Cadet
Who else spent hours in the masterpiece section trying to see how far they can get in a certain game with no outside help? I’m assuming only me.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I miss most of the features that didn't make it, so I'll just name something that hasn't been stated yet: custom moves for characters who aren't Miis.

D

Deleted member

Super Smash Bros. - my first-time experience was in late 2001. My step-cousins borrowed it from a good friend, and when I got on I slowly got hooked. :dk64: was the character I used often because he could carry opponents around and jump off the stage with them in tow. That pissed off my cousins a bit. But I have come a long way and learned a lot more when I returned to it in 2007.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - I got to play it on display whenever I went to places like Toys 'r Us, Walmart, etc. This solidified my love for Smash though I got it in mid-2005 on my 44th birthday. My fondest memories include making :peachmelee: my girl and getting the no-damage-clear bonus with her (as well as :marthmelee::drmario:) in classic mode.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I got to play this a few times when it was on display at Gamestop. The stage builder caught my interest, as well as the newcomers. I considered maining :metaknight::dedede::lucas::pt: but they did not click to well with me so I stuck with my girl. I was able to buy it and play in late 2010. I even did a run in Subspace Emissary set to the lowest difficulty even though I had unlocked all characters before I even considered playing that mode. Speaking truthfully, it was pretty good and I did okay. Took me seven hours to clear it. Now, I did get the Ancient Minister trophy but I cleared it with a 97% clear rate.

Super Smash Bros. 4 - Where do I begin? Well, once again the newcomer reveals were memorable. It was mid-late 2016 when I started playing and looking at them.

As for other game modes...Target Blast may not have been too well-received but I personally liked it. A couple years ago I achieved perfect with all characters on stage 3 using only the larger bomb. My top score is with :4rob:, with 692K.

But I think my best memory was when the :4bayonetta2: amiibo was released. I pre-ordered mine, and on its release date, that was when I joined Smashboards and made :4bayonetta2: my girl alongside :4peach: and :rosalina:. Also pre-ordered the :4corrinf: one, and thank God I did not have to worry about shelling out $50 for it.

As for Ultimate, well, when I get this game I am certain to have memorable stories to tell about that.

Sayonara :kirby:

link2702

Smash Champion
Seeing mario beat up pikachu for the first time.

Nothing can quite match the surrealness but also joy, of seeing the first smash in action for the first time. Seeing mario fighting pikachu, link, and fox, was just so weird, but so awesome.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Smash 64: I remember that my parents got this game for me as a Christmas present back in 1999. I was highly into Pokemon at the time and playing as Pikachu was always a joy for me.

Melee: Me and my friends would often play the tournament bracket mode and it was tons of fun.

Brawl: I remember during the game's launch date, I was involved in playing a mini-tournament in my local GAME store and surprisingly (despite playing badly at first), I won my match with Ike. Also, I was surprised with the announcement of Snake and Sonic.

3DS/Wii-U: I always get hyped whenever Nintendo unveiled their newcomer trailers.

Ultimate: Similar to the 3DS/Wii-U versions and the idea of playing every character which had appeared within the past Smash games is a massive joy for me.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Brawl- Subspace, Stage Builder, discovering my main.

Smash 4- Mii Fighters, playing Smash 4 with folks I knew at a game club every week.

Ultimate- "Everyone is Here!" and basking in the negative reception to Piranha Plant's Reveal.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Subspace, Stage Builder, Fighting Polygon Team/Wireframes, Trophies and Break the Targets/Board the Platforms!

Top Bottom