• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you people think of this idea

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
So fox has a really good up smash, so jc up smash is a good option. unfortunately falco's best smash attack is f-smash and there is no such thing as jc f-smash. however you can crouch when running and f-smash while crouching by using the c-stick. Do you think this could be good like how jc up smash is for fox

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
So fox has a really good up smash, so jc up smash is a good option. unfortunately falco's best smash attack is f-smash and there is no such thing as jc f-smash. however you can crouch when running and f-smash while crouching by using the c-stick. Do you think this could be good like how jc up smash is for fox
This definitely has plenty of uses, but it could not be used the same way that Fox's jc upsmash is. Falco's fsmash has too much startup lag to be used without a read, and it can be shielded on reaction.

Vista_

Smash Cadet
F smash is used as a follow up to Dair and as an edgeguarding tool so it's not as applicable as JC up smash

SAUS

Smash Ace
Neat idea but there's a bunch of problems:
1) Falco runs way slower than fox so he can't get into position to make it combo as often.
2) Up-smash is 5 frames faster and hits in a more relevant spot most of the time.

It doesn't seem like much, but combined together, it gives a lot more time to jump out of a combo or shield or whatever.

Also I think Falco's d-smash is his best one :p just not as much knockback but it hits so fast and the trajectory means death if they are near the ledge most of the time.

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
Crouch dsmash out of run and pivot dsmash are both really good for the scenario (hitbox is active on frame 6 after input is registered)

ending combos with smash attacks is also really good so, situationally, op is right, if an opponent hard di's a high hitstun move, or is coming down with an attack without stage control (you'd be looking to trade here), the fsmash out of run is definitely good. In certain situations you can use it as an option select where you'd CC an attack into the smash attack (for example, running for position, CCing fox side-b, into fsmash punish), but in that situation the frame data really starts to become important.

but @OP I've definitely seen the technique used in bracket so, it's good that you're exploring your whole option spread

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
While slower, let's not forget that Falco's fsmash doesn't get cancelled by moves it doesn't outprioritize. This can be a good thing because it can eat through a projectile and hit the user where and usmash would stop, or a bad thing if they do a move just strong enough to not be outprioritized, giving them a huge window to punish you at whatever range (so with whatever hitbox) they desire.

The fact that Falco moves forward during the move is also useful in itself. There would be times it would be more appropriate than Fox's usmash and vice-versa.

Also, seconded on dsmash. It might not hit as high, but it's faster than usmash and sends the opponent at a horrible angle. If you need a hitbox that hits higher, do an fsmash slightly earlier than you would have used a dsmash.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Falco's fsmash has too much startup lag to be used without a read, and it can be shielded on reaction.
Only if they hear the sound from your controller and react to that with shield.

Vista_

Smash Cadet
. Falco's fsmash can be shielded on reaction.
Well it can I guess...but assuming that the majority of players have a reaction time of less than 13 frames is straight up ********

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Well it can I guess...but assuming that the majority of players have a reaction time of less than 13 frames is straight up ********
Nah it's at least almost impossible on visual cue, since melee has ~60 - 80 ms input lag. However it isn't that hard to react in time to the sound cue from controller, since there's almost no lag for that and humans react to auditory stimuli faster. So if you go for "randy" slowish attacks in neutral, better to input it silently.

Klemes

Smash Journeyman
Nah it's at least almost impossible on visual cue, since melee has ~60 - 80 ms input lag. However it isn't that hard to react in time to the sound cue from controller, since there's almost no lag for that and humans react to auditory stimuli faster. So if you go for "randy" slowish attacks in neutral, better to input it silently.
omg so sneaky... Furtive Fsmash OP. I'm stealing this immediatly.

Dsmash is great tho, I've actually strarted to get a lot of laser>dash>pivot dsmash kills. Plus it looks sick with the turnaround, and nobody can miss your next level pivot this way.
Also when you're too lazy to work to close out high% fox stocks, just bait (do unsafe round1 falco BS) CC Dsmash. EZ life.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Not necessarily, if you are not in any hitstun (lasers primarily) and you see the lean back from the fsmash, you can shield it unless Falco is like, right on top of you.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Not necessarily, if you are not in any hitstun (lasers primarily) and you see the lean back from the fsmash, you can shield it unless Falco is like, right on top of you.
Listen, with the input lag of melee being 60-80 ms, you'd need to react to seeing the first frame of the fsmash in 120 - 140 ms, and the mean reaction time for simple visual reaction tests is ~200ms

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Hmm, very late fsmash is borderline possible to react to I guess, but I think you'd have to expect it, since it still requires ~250ms reaction time.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
A nice mixup is dashing behind your opponent>crouch>fsmash. I find it works ~70% of the time.

Top Bottom