• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"What Do You Mean, 'They're From A Video Game!?'", or A Dive Into Commonly Mistaken Smash Candidates (NEW: Sacrier's Blood)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
For the entirety of Smash's history, characters have come and gone from the spotlight. Some were über-popular characters that made logical sense (Doom Slayer, Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, etc). And some were less-requested characters that had their own niches (Sol Badguy, Master Chief, Arthur from Ghosts n' Goblins, etc). And then we have these characters, the ones that when you look into them you think, "What!? They're from a video game!?" Today we take a look at a few of these characters, unearth their origins, and look into why they're more likely than one thinks.

SUBJECT #1: REIMU HAKUREI (TOUHOU PROJECT)
First Debut: Touhou Reiiden ~ Highly Responsive to Prayers (Platform: PC-98, Year: 1996)
1617381715037.png

(Reimu as she appears in the as-of-this-post upcoming entry, Touhou Kouryuudou ~ Unconnected Marketeers)

Reimu Hakurei is the main protagonist of the prestigious and long-running line of danmaku shoot-em-ups that made its start with Touhou Reiiden ~ Highly Responsive to Prayers for the PC-98 in 1995. This might sound like a startling revelation for a majority of you who don't know about it, but I don't blame you. You most likely have seen SOME Touhou stuff in your life, including references in other games, usage of characters on CNN (No, I'm not making this up), and the memes, oh LORDY the memes, before you even run into the Touhou games themselves.

Reimu is very enticing as a Smash character because Touhou is practically the indie gamer's equivalent of Dragon Quest but with an extensive line of endorsed fanworks so vast even fangames bearing the name exist. In fact, some of them, such as Luna Nights and Genso Wanderer, are on the Nintendo eShop right now! If fangames aren't enough to convince you, then not to worry, a mainline fighting game, Touhou Hyouibana ~ Antinomy of Common Flowers, is releasing worldwide on the Switch this month! So we have a lasting legacy, a deceptively vast exposure, and an appearance on a Nintendo console. What else? Well, while it most certainly wasn't Touhou, Sakurai did get his first job as a video game developer in no small part thanks to a SHMUP by HAL Laboratories called Gall Force, and that has obviously made an impact on his career over the course of his life, with Kid Icarus Uprising having rail shooter segments, and the credits of Smash entries being SHMUP minigames, too! Touhou seems like the kind of thing that would catch Sakurai's eye, and as the absolute highest franchise in the genre, why shouldn't it?

How would she differ from the rest of the cast? Well, Reimu has been rather well known for her ability to fly, and her style of gameplay from the games makes her very unique on top of that. See, there are a few mechanics in Touhou. Some examples include shot-types, which a player can choose when beginning a run, and Grazing, which is when a projectile hits your sprite but doesn't outright kill your character, leading to some high-risk high-reward strategies.

SUBJECT #2: SABER (FATE)
First Debut: Fate/stay night (Platform: PC, Year: 2004)
1617382296226.png

Next up, we have Saber, True Name: Artoria Pendragon! This is an interesting case, as a large majority of people out in Medialand seem to think of the various Fate anime when they first think about the Fate series, while others think more about the mobile game Fate/Grand Order. But what they might not know is that Fate was actually a video game, and one of the most explosively popular at the time. Fate/stay night, released for Windows in 2004, was a visual novel created by Kinoko Nasu, involving a young mage named Shirou Emiya who gets roped in the once-a-decade Holy Grail War. At the time, there were some...rather raunchy scenes, but Nasu never wanted to add these scenes, but only did because at the time that was the only way to push units. Later releases, however, would remove these scenes for good. Now you're probably thinking that visual novels aren't video games and that is, therefore, grounds to discredit Saber, but I have two points against that: one, we have Wii Fit Trainer in Smash Bros, who comes from what people considered a glorified exercise program, and two, there are already some rather strong movements for two other VN characters, being Monokuma from Danganronpa and Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney.

As for Nintendo appearances, Saber does appear on the Switch with Fate/EXTELLA Link, which covers that front. As for the swordfighter complaints, well, that concern I've come to realize mainly stems from the abundance of Fire Emblem characters, and not just because of the weapons they wield. Now you probably still don't want to see her in Smash, regardless of whether or not she's from FE, and superfans of the series might prefer to see her in the game as a Lancer or a Ruler, but this is arguably the one form that Fate fans recognize her in. As for how unique she could be, she does have a set amount of skills that can bolster her capabilities and even turn herself or her sword invisible for mind games, and she could most likely bring her Master Shirou along as a Pokemon Trainer-style support character that realizes a concept that Sakurai couldn't with Rex and Pyra.

SUBJECT #3: HATSUNE MIKU (VOCALOID, PROJECT DIVA)
First Debut: Vocaloid 2 (Platform: PC, Year: 2007)
First Game Debut: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (Platform: PSP, Year: 2009)

1617383567955.png

Third up is Hatsune Miku, who a metric ton of people probably recognize without knowing where she's from. Miku made her debut in Vocaloid 2, a voice synthesizer software made by Yamaha, and effectively the entire series' mascot. She made her full video game debut in a rhythm game called "Hatsune Miku: Project Diva" for the PSP in 2009, and since then that game series has made its debut on platforms such as Nintendo Switch and Nintendo 3DS, covering the "fan rule" of Nintendo appearances. Vocaloid, however, became so popular that it has an entire animation software dedicated to the character, which has been used to create animations for multiple other franchises like Genshin Impact, and Touhou Project! Now you're probably asking yourself: "Synthesizer software? That's not a game." Well, neither is R.O.B., a video game accessory and once again I bring up Wii Fit.

How would she differ from the rest of the roster? Well, she's an idol, and as she's from mainly music-based software, including a genre not-yet represented with playable characters with the rhythm game genre, Miku could have a more passive playstyle revolving around dazzling her opponents...and maybe striking them with a leek, for good measure, too.

SUBJECT #4: CARMEN SANDIEGO (WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO?)
First Debut: Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? (Platform: PC, Year: 1985)
Shout-Out: Oracle Link Oracle Link

1617465433678.png

(Ms. Sandiego as she appears in the Netflix animated series)

This right here is a woman who could give Joker a run for his money: Carmen Sandiego. Ms. Sandiego made her debut in Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego?, a geography edutainment game developed by American studio Broberlund, who you might also recognize as the creator of Prince of Persia, and is now owned by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. For once she ain't an anime waifu, which I'm sure some of you out there might relish in.

The Carmen Sandiego series, I've come to find in my research, was surprisingly popular: it spawned a line of animated series, one by DiC (Who you might know from the Super Mario Bros. Super Show), and another most recently made by Netflix. As for Nintendo platforms: she actually has a few, one on the GameCube, one on the DS, and multiple on the Wii! Many might not know where she came from (Or where she is right now for that matter), but the general fan exposure is mainly from the Netflix series, so having Carmen Sandiego in Smash would be...rather interesting. I mean, edutainment is still a genre of video games, and now that I think about it, I don't know why I haven't considered this.

As for how she would stand out in the roster? Well, Carmen Sandiego has been known for stealing things tangible and intangible, hell, she even stole natural language as a concept one time! And she also has a horde of minor henchmen that have been responsible for many minor thefts, so I imagine her being some kind of "pseudo-Shang Tsung"-style character that steals some parts of a character's moveset and attributes for her Specials.

SUBJECT #5: AGUMON (DIGIMON)
First Debut: Digital Monster (Platform: V-pet, Year: 1997)
Shout Out: DanganZilla5 DanganZilla5
1617465577521.png

And now, we have Agumon, the mascot of the Digimon series! Agumon made his debut on the Digimon I platform, a little LCD device that involves raising, caring, and training...digital monsters. The platform in question was more known as a V-pet. Now I know there are some people out there that think that V-pets are not video games, but in this case, I bring up Mr. Game & Watch, another LCD video game character. Anyways, the series has often been considered the grand rival of Pokemon and has spawned a vast line of anime and bigger video games to compete with the Game Freak franchise giant. Much like the Fate series and to an extent Carmen Sandiego, Digimon has been more recognized by the animated TV show, which has been the childhood of countless fans.

The series has made multiple appearances on Nintendo platforms, with one of them even being its own "Smash-like" platform fighter. As for how unique he'd be in Smash? Well, here's the thing: all Digimon have this thing they do that's called Digivolving, and when they Digivolve, they gain greater capabilities in combat. Agumon's most recognizable Digivolution path is from Agumon to Greymon, Greymon to MetalGreymon, MetalGreymon to WarGreymon. I could see this being like a variant of Pyra & Mythra's swap mechanic, where Agumon starts off with only decent combat capability, but as he Digivolves, he gets heavier and more powerful. That's not something shown in Smash, and it would really call out to people who want to main him.

SUBJECT #6: MAMETCHI (TAMAGOTCHI)
First Debut: Tamagotchi (Platform: V-pet, Year: 1996)
Shout Out: Pacack Pacack
1617544307708.png

Here we have Mametchi, the mascot of the Tamagotchi series and the precursor to Digimon as a whole. The franchise made its debut in 1996 with the original Tamagotchi, and while to my knowledge it didn't go on the level of Digimon, it's still quite popular in its own right. Mametchi here was obtained by raising a Tamagotchi with the utter apex of care, leading to a very smart Tamagotchi with an IQ of 250. As stated before, the "V-pets are not video games" argument is completely obliterated by Game & Watch, a fellow LCD video game character.

As far as Nintendo appearances go, you might've seen this guy before at your local arcade...yup, this guy made a guest appearance in Mario Kart Arcade GP 2, and even has made appearances on the DS, 3DS, and NES! As for how he'd stand out...well, he was the first V-pet ever created, and his fighting style could revolve around taking care of and raising Mametchi like you would a Tamagotchi for better stats and properties.

SUBJECT #7: SALLY ACORN (SONIC THE HEDGEHOG)
First Debut: Sonic the Hedgehog (Platform: Sega Genesis, Year: 1991)
Shout Out: MAtgSy MAtgSy

1617582055994.png

An absolute curveball of a character, we have Princess Sally Acorn of Sonic the Hedgehog fame, who was well known for her appearance in the comic continuity of the Sonic franchise. You're probably rolling eyes and scoffing right now, but apparently, an anonymous source (the shout-out for this subject lol) has told me that Sally Acorn was the name of the squirrels found in Badniks in the West, according to the Sonic Bible, thus crowning her as a video game character.

This is an opportunity to have Sally in the game as a representative of the early Sonic game canon, which had a remarkably interesting story about Sonic himself, as well as the Animal friends she has. While the name would revert back to "Ricky" after Sonic Adventure 2, the fact that Ricky the Squirrel was called Sally Acorn over here in the West means she's had a metric ton of appearances on Nintendo consoles, too! As for how she'd play, well, I can see her teaming up with her fellow Animal friends to attack, as well as using stuff from her comic and show counterparts as a means of attack, such as Nicole, her Freedom Fighter fighting style, etc. for a variety of attacks from her moveset.

SUBJECT #8: RINTAROU "OKARIN" OKABE (STEINS;GATE)
First Debut: Steins;Gate (Platform: PC, Year: 2009)
Shout-Out: Gengar84 Gengar84
1618525092492.png

Our next subject is Rintarou "Okarin" Okabe, the protagonist of Steins;Gate. Much like Saber, Rintarou here is from a visual novel, and is more well-known for an anime series based on the series. Steins;Gate is a sci-fi visual novel which involves heavy amounts of time travel. He is the founder of the Future Gadget Laboratory (Creative name, I know), and is a self-proclaimed "mad scientist".

Steins;Gate was heavily praised for its story and writing, and has led to the anime that the series is now more well-known for. Steins;Gate is also on the Switch, too, so we've got that covered. How would Okarin play, exactly? Well, he seems like the kind of guy who would use the many gadgets he has made in his lifetime, and we cannot forget about time travel, no sirree. This could lead to some undeniably unique timey-wimey things similar to the likes of Geras in Mortal Kombat.

SUBJECT #9: KEIICHI MAEBARA (WHEN THEY CRY)
First Debut: Higurashi When They Cry: Onikakushi-hen (Platform: PC, Year: 2009)
Shout-Out: Gengar84 Gengar84

1618525326073.png

And our next character from a visual novel more well known for its anime series is Keiichi Maebara, the main protagonist of When They Cry, a psychological horror visual novel. The series is better well known for 2 anime series, but just like the previous two visual novel examples, it started off as a video game. It also got a port for the Nintendo Switch in Japan, too, so that's something in his favor.

While horror is a franchise not represented in Smash, with many candidates such as Leon Kennedy, Pyramid Head, and Freddy Fazbear being thrown around, Keiichi here has surprisingly shown to be combat savvy from what I've come to find. He could be a methodical character that requires smarts to play optimally, but there would probably be something dark within that could trigger mid-battle that causes him to go all "unga-bunga" in terms of playstyle. Almost like a "Phoenix Wright"-type character mixed with Doom Slayer in a way.

SUBJECT #10: THE PRINCE (PRINCE OF PERSIA)
First Debut: Prince of Persia (Platform: Apple II, Year: 1989)
Shout-Out: Morgana J. Cat Morgana J. Cat
1619483437954.png

All hail his majesty, the Prince! Not to be confused with the main character of Katamari Damacy, the titular Prince of Persia made his debut on the Apple II as the protagonist of an action-adventure video game series created by video game designer Jordan Mechner. Many know him by the video game movie adaptation by Disney (yes, "M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" Disney), with some believing that it was based on a book, much like Geralt of Rivia, and that the games after are an adaptation of the movie. Oh, how little they knew...

Prince of Persia has been generally regarded as one of the greatest video games of all time, putting it up there with the likes of PAC-MAN, Mario, Minecraft, and more, and he's even appeared majorly on Nintendo platforms such as the GameCube, the Game Boy line and the 3DS. How would he play, though? Well, aside from the obvious swordfighter playstyle, the Prince seems to have some time-related stuff much like Okarin a few slots above, but that requires a Sand resource, which I'm sure Sakurai can work out easily.

SUBJECT #11: ENDOU MAMORU (INAZUMA ELEVEN)
First Debut: Inazuma Eleven (Platform: Nintendo DS, Year: 2008)
Shout-Out: RileyXY1 RileyXY1

1619825726010.png

Lining up on the team is Endou Mamoru, the main protagonist of Inazuma Eleven, a series of soccer games originating on the Nintendo DS. The gameplay is a hybridization of RPG and sports game, with the stylus being initially used to move teammates. There was an anime that was made based on said games, which the franchise is much more well-known for.

This was made by Level-5, who you may all know as the developers of Yo-Kai Watch, Professor Layton, and Ni no Kuni and have a good relationship with Nintendo. Endou could be in Smash as a good sports game representative, which by technicality is a genre represented by Mario. But if we're going solely sports, Endou is just as good a candidate as the other. As for how he'd play? I'd imagine him being a more technical version of Sonic, with great movement speed, but requiring more brainpower to play optimally.

SUBJECT #12: SACRIER'S BLOOD (WAKFU)
First Debut: Dofus (Platform: PC, Year: 2004)
Shout-Out: C chocolatejr9
1623467673719.png

Coming up next is Sacrier's Blood, one of the classes of the MMO Wakfu. To get more closer, Wakfu is an MMO that plays like a Tactical RPG like Fire Emblem, and it's the sequel to the previous Tactical MMO Dofus. I have chosen the Sacrier because from what I've researched, Sacrier's Blood is the easiest-to-play class and the most friendly to newbies of the game. A lot of people generally know Wakfu by the animated series that was made to promote the game. Basically, the reverse version of Lightning McQueen. LOL. Unfortunately, unlike other examples on this list, there are...actually no Nintendo appearances to bolster this guy's chances. But...what with all the nigh-impossible ports coming to Switch like Doom, Civilization 6, and more recently DOKI DOKI LITERATURE CLUB, I'd say give it a moment.

These guys specifically are basically Incineroar's Down B: The Class. He could be easy to fight with as a rushdown character revolving around good positioning and smart reading of your moves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all I have at the moment, but you're probably asking: what purpose does this serve? Why did I waste time writing all this? For one specific reason: to enlighten. These characters, among others, can often be disgustingly overlooked in favor of others, as there are candidates for the roster no one knows are actually video game characters. I wanted to write this to ensure people know about these characters and their surprising origins, so that one day, they may think "I want them in Smash". Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Last edited:

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
As I iterated, these are just a few examples. There are more that I'm probably not aware of, but I'll put them in once I do become aware.
Aight its cool, just wondering if there weren't ones that weren't anime girls.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Aight its cool, just wondering if there weren't ones that weren't anime girls.
As I iterated, these are just a few examples. There are more that I'm probably not aware of, but I'll put them in once I do become aware.
Carmen sandiego shes more known for the netflix series right now!

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Agumon fits in with this too. Some people seem to be confused on Digimon's origins which comes from Tamagotchi, which is a digital pet device. There is some debate on this, but most people seem to agree that Digimon is a video game series. It also doesn't help that Digimon is probably more well known for the anime than the games.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
An interesting pick, but I will have to remind you that this is dedicated to characters people don't know are from video games. TF2 is a video game, and a pretty well-known one at that.
Ah. Okay then I think Geralt should be a character considered for this considering how much of the Witcher was visualized by the games.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This may be bending the rules of the discussion a bit, but I honestly believe Slenderman may have an actual shot at appearing in Smash. Not as a fighter, mind you, but as a spirit, assist, or even stage with due hazard, I wouldn’t count him out of the running in a potential stage DLC or Spirit event.

The big hurdle blocking his way is that of his origins being outside gaming. However, I believe he may be eligible in the same way Dracula made his way in. That being in that he has a distinct game counterpart different from his other media.

The original Slender: The Eight Pages which shot him into popularity was a mix between the original take on him and that of the Webseries Marble Hornets, this was then separated further from his other incarnations in the sequel Slender: The Arrival. As such, it may very well be possible that if Sakurai decided, he could very well add Slenderman into the game without bending his No 4th Party Rule.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
This may be bending the rules of the discussion a bit, but I honestly believe Slenderman may have an actual shot at appearing in Smash. Not as a fighter, mind you, but as a spirit, assist, or even stage with due hazard, I wouldn’t count him out of the running in a potential stage DLC or Spirit event.

The big hurdle blocking his way is that of his origins being outside gaming. However, I believe he may be eligible in the same way Dracula made his way in. That being in that he has a distinct game counterpart different from his other media.

The original Slender: The Eight Pages which shot him into popularity was a mix between the original take on him and that of the Webseries Marble Hornets, this was then separated further from his other incarnations in the sequel Slender: The Arrival. As such, it may very well be possible that if Sakurai decided, he could very well add Slenderman into the game without bending his No 4th Party Rule.
Hmm...that is an interesting point. I'm still a little iffy on this, but I'll keep this in mind.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Damn, QUADRUPLE post?! Someone delete this, please!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hmm...that is an interesting point. I'm still a little iffy on this, but I'll keep this in mind.
nah the dracula in smash is very different than the one from the book from what i understand hes basically an original character so thats not a good example of a loophole

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
nah the dracula in smash is very different than the one from the book from what i understand hes basically an original character so thats not a good example of a loophole
I think that's what they meant by the loophole. Yeah, he was first based on the original story and the Marble Hornets version, but then he became more original in Slender: The Arrival.

At least, that's how I interpretted it...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
while to my knowledge it didn't go on the level of Digimon, it's still quite popular in its own right.
For reference, the Digimon franchise has made an estimated $6.42 billion in revenue, while the Tamagotchi franchise has made an estimated $6.2 billion. The estimates aren't exact, so which franchise has actually been more successful is up for debate. Either way, they're about equally successful monetarily.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I got one: Sally Acorn of the Sonic franchise.
Generally known for appearances in comics & cartoons, Sally's actual point of origin is all the way back to the first level of the 1st Sonic game.

The little animals in STH1&2 are actually named characters (those introduced in STH3 and beyond are seemingly not to the best my knowledge). & much like with Eggman --> Robotnik, their names were changed in the American & European regions (excluding Flicky, who's name probably stayed the same due to its own Genesis game).

In the immediate early days of the franchise, where Sonic & Robotnik were the only notable characters, the animals & badniks (Robotnik's robots) were given expanded roles as supporting cast. This can be particularly seen in the early issues of the UK Sonic comics published by Fleetway where Sally is depicted closer to her game counterpart.

When the 1st cartoon series was being produced (that which now commonly known as "SatAM"), the initial pitch was to redesign the animals into characters closer in proportion to Sonic & serves as his team, which was the 1st steps towards Sally becoming the freedom fighting princess she came to be remembered as.

(Note the lack of Tails in this pic, the show was in development that far back!)

Over time the other animals were phased out & replaced with brand new characters, but Sally persisted. TV Sally underwent a number of design changes behind the scenes, from the blonde chipmunk shown in the above picture to a human (no, really), to a pink hedgehog (yes, really!) before eventually settling back to the brown fur & limited attire look. Whether intentional or not, Sally ended up looking somewhat closer to her original gameverse version appearance wise.

All of this is to say that it is IMO that "Ricky" from STH1 & "Princess Sally" from SatAM/Archie are indeed the same character & thus, Sally is of video game origin & eligible for Smash.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I got one: Sally Acorn of the Sonic franchise.

Generally known for appearances in comics & cartoons, Sally's actual point of origin is all the way back to the first level of the 1st Sonic game.

The little animals in STH1&2 are actually named characters (those introduced in STH3 and beyond are seemingly not to the best my knowledge). & much like with Eggman --> Robotnik, their names were changed in the American & European regions (excluding Flicky, who's name probably stayed the same due to its own Genesis game).

In the immediate early days of the franchise, where Sonic & Robotnik were the only notable characters, the animals & badniks (Robotnik's robots) were given expanded roles as supporting cast. This can be particularly seen in the early issues of the UK Sonic comics published by Fleetway where Sally is depicted closer to her game counterpart.

When the 1st cartoon series was being produced (that which now commonly known as "SatAM"), the initial pitch was to redesign the animals into characters closer in proportion to Sonic & serves as his team, which was the 1st steps towards Sally becoming the freedom fighting princess she came to be remembered as.

(Note the lack of Tails in this pic, the show was in development that far back!)

Over time the other animals were phased out & replaced with brand new characters, but Sally persisted. TV Sally underwent a number of design changes behind the scenes, from the blonde chipmunk shown in the above picture to a human (no, really), to a pink hedgehog (yes, really!) before eventually settling back to the brown fur & limited attire look. Whether intentional or not, Sally ended up looking somewhat closer to her original gameverse version appearance wise.

All of this is to say that it is IMO that "Ricky" from STH1 & "Princess Sally" from SatAM/Archie are indeed the same character & thus, Sally is of video game origin & eligible for Smash.
...well, holy ****. I legit did not know this. Thanks for the contribution.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I should probably mention about Sally Acorn that there might be some kind of legal complication going on behind-the-scenes, specifically with her more iconic anthropomorphic design. I don't have a source, so don't quote me, but apparently it goes something like this: Sega does, in fact, own the rights to the character. However, they specifically own the SatAM version and the Pre-Reboot Archie version. The Post-Reboot Archie version is apparently owned by Archie themselves. Again, I don't have a source, but I figured I should bring that up. It would at the very least explain why Sally Acorn as we know her hasn't appeared in any of the games.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I should probably mention about Sally Acorn that there might be some kind of legal complication going on behind-the-scenes, specifically with her more iconic anthropomorphic design. I don't have a source, so don't quote me, but apparently it goes something like this: Sega does, in fact, own the rights to the character. However, they specifically own the SatAM version and the Pre-Reboot Archie version. The Post-Reboot Archie version is apparently owned by Archie themselves. Again, I don't have a source, but I figured I should bring that up. It would at the very least explain why Sally Acorn as we know her hasn't appeared in any of the games.
Only in recent years. If they own her design from 1993-2012 they could've used anytime during those days.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Does Sora count?
View attachment 311322
He's a character very much of video game origin, but people argue that he wouldn't be represented well without Disney even though Kingdom Hearts has plenty of original content to supply a Challenger Pack.
Eh, I think people know that Sora's a video game character, it's just a debate over his ownership. Like, the argument isn't that he's not eligible, but that his ownership rights are complicated.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Technically, the first Halo novel aka "Halo: Fall of Reach" was released (2001.10.30) before the first Halo (2001.11.15). I saw some trolls bringing this at GameFAQ.

But, the first Halo demo was shown way before the author began to write the novel. Just like many other gaming franchise that brought multi media promotions before games' actual release, Halo followed the trend. Not to mention what the book cover actually says...
1618472095409.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't know if this counts, but the Cars game released three days before the movie. So technically Lightning McQueen is eligible for this, lol.
I know some people like to ****post about this kind of stuff, but the Cars video game would not exist if the movie wasn't made. So does it really matter?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know some people like to ****post about this kind of stuff, but the Cars video game would not exist if the movie wasn't made. So does it really matter?
I mean, it makes about as much sense as, if not more than, arguing Sally Acorn is a game character because she was extremely loosely based on one of the friends Sonic frees from robots.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Lightning is owned by Pixar, and his game was developed at the same time as the movie, and was made to promote the movie, so Lightning isn't really a video game character. Also, Sally Acorn is only as much of a video game character as Ash Ketchum. Ash was based on Red from the Pokémon games.

Top Bottom