• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"What Do You Mean, 'They're From A Video Game!?'", or A Dive Into Commonly Mistaken Smash Candidates (NEW: Sacrier's Blood)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t know if they’ve been mentioned yet but characters from Stein’s Gate and When They Cry actually originated in a game despite the anime being more widely known.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I don’t know if they’ve been mentioned yet but characters from Stein’s Gate and When They Cry actually originated in a game despite the anime being more widely known.
Good suggestions for me to keep in mind for the future. Visual Novels are quite an interesting predicament as mentioned with Saber, though admittedly it'll be a bit of a chore listing them all.

EDIT: Both characters are up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Good suggestions for me to keep in mind for the future. Visual Novels are quite an interesting predicament as mentioned with Saber, though admittedly it'll be a bit of a chore listing them all.

EDIT: Both characters are up.
well I think most visual novel games don’t have many adaptations are mostly known as video games as a result so Saber may be an outlier

LucKekkai

Smash Apprentice
I beat both Steins;Gate Elite and Steins;Gate 0 recently. Excellent games. I dunno how well Okabe would translate into Smash, but it would certainly be interesting if he could.

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
The Prince of Persia. Yeah it’s a very well known video game series but trust me, there’s a ridiculously large amount of people who only know it as a Disney movie and think it’s based on a book or something.

Edit: Thanks

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
im surprised anyone recognizes it at all
I actually used to watch the show, the first one and the sequel, Go and Go Galaxy. Save to say that I didn't know it was a video game first despite being a big fan

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I actually used to watch the show, the first one and the sequel, Go and Go Galaxy. Save to say that I didn't know it was a video game first despite being a big fan
The western fandom seems to have an odd perception of all level-5 games that aren’t Layton

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The western fandom seems to have an odd perception of all level-5 games that aren’t Layton
Well, the thing is I live in Asia but that is besides the point, I think you might want to add Yo-kai Watch too. as for everyone not knowing Level-5 games besides Layton it might be because Layton's artstyle is more cartoony and stylistic and while YW and IE have their assortment of wacky looking character it have that trademark "anime looking visual" to it (and the fact that Ni No Kuni artstyle looks exactly like a Ghibli movie) and also Layton collaborated with Ace Attorney and give them exposure more.

Unrelated, but I recently just got into the Inazuma Eleven game and I didn't remember everyone sounding really british lol

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, the thing is I live in Asia but that is besides the point, I think you might want to add Yo-kai Watch too. as for everyone not knowing Level-5 games besides Layton it might be because Layton's artstyle is more cartoony and stylistic and while YW and IE have their assortment of wacky looking character it have that trademark "anime looking visual" to it (and the fact that Ni No Kuni artstyle looks exactly like a Ghibli movie) and also Layton collaborated with Ace Attorney and give them exposure more.

Unrelated, but I recently just got into the Inazuma Eleven game and I didn't remember everyone sounding really british lol
I think it’s more to do with how little people know about the games rather than the very different art styles. There’s plenty of Nintendo series that look vastly different but everyone knows they’re Nintendo. Also ni no kuni was originally a collab between studio ghibli and level-5 hence the look

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I like the idea of this thread... but since when is Master Chief niche, versus uber popular?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I like the idea of this thread... but since when is Master Chief niche, versus uber popular?
I was talking in the context of support for Smash. For a good long time, Master Chief was often considered an impossibility due to being an Xbox character, and the console's mascot to boot. Then Halo content for Minecraft ended up on Switch, then one thing led to another and...here we are. While there isn't as much as, say, Geno or Crash, Master Chief support is still there.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I was talking in the context of support for Smash. For a good long time, Master Chief was often considered an impossibility due to being an Xbox character, and the console's mascot to boot. Then Halo content for Minecraft ended up on Switch, then one thing led to another and...here we are. While there isn't as much as, say, Geno or Crash, Master Chief support is still there.
I would say Master Chief has more support than Geno, tbh. Just, passive support.

Top Bottom