• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you guys do best with Luigi?

Remastered

Smash Lord
Utilt is the most underrated move Luigi has I think, jab into 3 up tilts on almost all the cast will either force them to jump which puts them right where you want them. The tilt can be exchanged on the fourth for Up smash for increased damage as they try to fast fall and out prioritise you. Otherwise they will DI and jump which means you can SH Fair, Fair, Jump and Fair hitting with the back of the hitbox, and immediate Dair or Bair. This leaves them away from you allowing you to land safely without ariel threat. If you spike on the Dair (which is likely to occur because the Hitbox of the reversed Fair leaves them stale in the air), you can play any number of options on the now grounded opponent.

Very few characters have the movement or aerial attack speed to get out of this

MasterOfGalaxies

Smash Apprentice
Jabbing then dtilting them. If they trip, it's all over. I can shoryuken them infallibly if they trip. If they don't, then I just fsmash and hope- fsmash only connects like 50% of the time if they don't trip.

LithiumLuigi

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure.
I guess I'm good at dodging and the rising tornado.
I'm still working on my meteor smashes, both the taunt and the Dair one.

I'm fairly new, especially at competitive play. But I'm proud to say I'm really good against Marth and Falco, and even Meta Knight. Which I've heard are Luigi's toughest match ups.
However I'm absolutely horrible against King Dedede.

But I'm going to stick to using Luigi and I'm not going to resort to using Meta Knight or any of the other common fighters.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I'm not sure.
I guess I'm good at dodging and the rising tornado.
I'm still working on my meteor smashes, both the taunt and the Dair one.

I'm fairly new, especially at competitive play. But I'm proud to say I'm really good against Marth and Falco, and even Meta Knight. Which I've heard are Luigi's toughest match ups.
However I'm absolutely horrible against King Dedede.

But I'm going to stick to using Luigi and I'm not going to resort to using Meta Knight or any of the other common fighters.
For now.....

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
jabjabjab, mu's and powershield punish are is ma speciality, dair spike must be known, taunt kill not so much lol xD, i still train predict up B, but still very difficult to read oppenet like MK or Marth.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
I wish we could dash attack cancel into Dtaunt.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
Eh, even if you read them its hard to get passed the fairs and dtilts
thats not the point, i can powershield the last frame attack of an fair or such things, thats punish, but for example the landingfrom mk going mostly end with nado, so i must powershield the nado first, then jump dodge the rest of the attack and and try to read his landing what is really difficult, for marth little bit easier but still hard enough to realize, but all much characters are difficult to read, so i train the mouvements of these charas to try to predict them.
Up B still is a rare thing for me in serious matches, just be patient to take the WTF moment.

I wish we could dash attack cancel into Dtaunt.
omg, that u would be indeed awesome xD
or dash dance to grab like melee <3

LithiumLuigi

Smash Cadet
or he just might drop him like 95% of us did :urg:
'till he cares about winning....

No, Actually. I think this is the main reason Luigi isn't getting any better. People just become Meta Knight. I think being Luigi or any other underdog character requires more skills. The reason Meta Knight and all the other characters remain at the top is because everybody chooses those characters and they stay at the top.

I care very much about winning. And the longer I remain Luigi the better I will get. Even better than the person being Meta Knight, which doesn't require as much skill.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
No, Actually. I think this is the main reason Luigi isn't getting any better. People just become Meta Knight. I think being Luigi or any other underdog character requires more skills. The reason Meta Knight and all the other characters remain at the top is because everybody chooses those characters and they stay at the top.

I care very much about winning. And the longer I remain Luigi the better I will get. Even better than the person being Meta Knight, which doesn't require as much skill.

We all thought that at some point, and your argument might have been valid when the game first came out or something but not anymore. It is proven that MK is DA BESS, not because his metagame is much more evolved, but just simply because he is DA BESS.

Even if you practiced 2 or 3 times more than the MK player and is clearly the better player, you can still lose simply because MK is the better character.

LithiumLuigi

Smash Cadet
We all thought that at some point, and your argument might have been valid when the game first came out or something but not anymore. It is proven that MK is DA BESS, not because his metagame is much more evolved, but just simply because he is DA BESS.

Even if you practiced 2 or 3 times more than the MK player and is clearly the better player, you can still lose simply because MK is the better character.

It really is unfortunate.

I'm still not going to stop being Luigi, however. I have a couple secondary characters I might use, but Luigi is always going to be my main.

I'm not saying that Meta Knight isn't always going to be DA BEST, that's obviously a mistake on the developers part. They made him too powerful.

I'm just saying I'm not going to jump on the Meta Bandwagon.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744

All I got out of is post is

MK DA BESS

yoshq

Smash Master

lol you say that right after sonic places 5th and 6th at mlg and only 2 mks in top 16?

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Actually, it kind of does. You said all the training you do wont help, cause a MK will just beat you. 'cept only 2 came close to doing that.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
movesets of luigi arent good enough to win against a Mk.

+ the caracters who won against mk have better movesets, nothing less, nothing more.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
no, but better as luigis movesets ^^

and his gameplay allow him to outtime his oppenent.
+ has better reco than luigi other some stuff ;)

Judo777

Smash Master
actually i was simply saying that MK is just the best because he has all the best qualities for the most part. Wasn't referring to how long you play. Its not because his metagame is more developed he is just way better than everyone else.

Also no sonic does not hyave a good moveset. Sonic has probably the 2nd worst move set in the game. But hes fast. Luigi has one of the best movesets in the game. Hes just really slow.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
lol luigi has worse moveset too, nothing has enough prios to break into an attack from the most character.

Judo777

Smash Master
lol luigi has worse moveset too, nothing has enough prios to break into an attack from the most character.
Luigis moveset is incredible. There are 3 things that make moves good.

Size, Frames, and Damage/knockback. Priority is encompassed in these three things.

Luigi has some of the fastest moves in the game. Frame 2 jab, frame 3 nair, fast smashes. Low cooldown on fair

Luigi's moves also do a whole lot of damage. Like 12% of nair, 16% on dsmash or something like that not to mention luigi has like 5 or 6 moves that can kill at about 80-90% on some of the cast and just about all of his moves kill at 130%.

Luigi's moves are also HUGE. You seen jab? dsmash and usmash too, nair is really big and fast too. Nado is also very big.

You really have no argument here.

Sonics moves are kind of the opposite. Sonic moves are slow and weak his frame 4 utilt is about his only reasonably fast move. His jab is mediocre, his aerials are big but slow, his grounded moves are faster but weak, sonics moveset is bad. But hes fast so he can land moves.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
nado is really easy to punish, nair? good to combine with utilt, but also easy to punish, yeah fsmash is strong, but hitbox isn't as big as Mario for example.

Ub B? most of character can shield this, so u must again, read ur oppenent. Bair? unsafe, u can't make enough pressure with this, uair???? don't make me laugh.

i know that sonic's moveset isn't good, but luigi is little bit highranked don't u think?
his punish game is much more difficult then all others characters. Bside? lol extrem good attack, luck ftw!! fire ball Oo MEH, fair is good, thats correct, but not powerful enough, knockback is **** weak and ur oppenent can free himself. Dsmash? yeah make good damages, but isn't a good killmove. usmash? yeah, quiet impressive hitbox, pretty powerful and definitely one of his best moves, but mario hat it too, and it's "lowtier" Dtilt? lülz, for fun yeah, but in serious matches, just when the oppenent has enough % to fall on the ground, utilt? yeah one of best moves to make damage, ftilt? with an punish game very usefull, but he's not the only one with good ftilts. compare to snake it is ****sh**

so now i'm asking you, when u are a luigi mainer, and play him much, do you already plays against all characters with him?

Judo777

Smash Master
nado is really easy to punish, nair? good to combine with utilt, but also easy to punish, yeah fsmash is strong, but hitbox isn't as big as Mario for example.

Ub B? most of character can shield this, so u must again, read ur oppenent. Bair? unsafe, u can't make enough pressure with this, uair???? don't make me laugh.

i know that sonic's moveset isn't good, but luigi is little bit highranked don't u think?
his punish game is much more difficult then all others characters. Bside? lol extrem good attack, luck ftw!! fire ball Oo MEH, fair is good, thats correct, but not powerful enough, knockback is **** weak and ur oppenent can free himself. Dsmash? yeah make good damages, but isn't a good killmove. usmash? yeah, quiet impressive hitbox, pretty powerful and definitely one of his best moves, but mario hat it too, and it's "lowtier" Dtilt? lülz, for fun yeah, but in serious matches, just when the oppenent has enough % to fall on the ground, utilt? yeah one of best moves to make damage, ftilt? with an punish game very usefull, but he's not the only one with good ftilts. compare to snake it is ****sh**

so now i'm asking you, when u are a luigi mainer, and play him much, do you already plays against all characters with him?
No luigis punish game is bad because.................... he slow! and he cant use his moves. And just because I dont main luigi doesn't mean that i dont know his traits. Also yes i do play against the whole cast with luigi. And every move in the game is fairly punishable and unsafe. Only the characters with really really good movesets dont have punishable moves. And granted all of the really good moves arent punishable but very few characters have more than a handful of safe moves.

Luigis moves are great. Infact that is what Crash, and Biglou have told me in person. But hes slow. More importantly though luigi has probably the best number of good moves compared to anyone except like MK and Falco. They arent very disjointed ur right, but they have the other really important qualities like size, speed, and damage/knockback.

Just because you can name a way to beat every move doesnt mean that its bad. I can name a way to beat every move in the game too lol.

Luigis moveset is freaking amazing! tell me how many people can honestly stand within luigis range and beat him face to face? i bet ur list cant even arguably have more than 4 people in it, and alot of people would argue that it was no one. Luigis moveset is amazing! hes just too slow to use his moves.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Judo's got it right. When Luigi has you in his range, there's almost no better killer in the game. The problem is that a lot of better characters (most notably MK) make him play their game... and he's really bad at that.

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
Judo's got it right. When Luigi has you in his range, there's almost no better killer in the game. The problem is that a lot of better characters (most notably MK) make him play their game... and he's really bad at that.
when this happen, how can u expect that u come in a good range with luigi?
I read in one of the threads here, Luigi vs MK, there must luigi often use rolling xD
but yeah, i said myself, luigi movesets are amazing yeah, its because of that i main him, but their are not good enough to do something with them.

Judo777

Smash Master
when this happen, how can u expect that u come in a good range with luigi?
I read in one of the threads here, Luigi vs MK, there must luigi often use rolling xD
but yeah, i said myself, luigi movesets are amazing yeah, its because of that i main him, but their are not good enough to do something with them.
Thats exactly right when are u gonna be in range to use them? Only when ur right next to them. Thats not a problem with his moveset thats a problem with luigis mobility. If you get in range luigi can **** everyone in the game handily. But thats a big IF

DE_Desti

Smash Journeyman
yeah haha xD

i train in last time much with powershielding to punishmoves
atm i just find that jab, utilt works. Maybe i have found a punish move with luigi against character who are weightless. For example against jiggz, Tl, mk etc..
with mk its very interessant xD

Top Bottom