• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do you do on shield?

aqualad33

Smash Rookie
I've heard young link has amazing frame data on shield but I'm not sure what you are supposed to do once you hit shield with a Nair/Bair/fair.

Also if you bomb throw before the Nair can you get bomb -> Nair -> grab on shield?

I'm not as sure on this as I should be, but I feel like jumping away is a decent option along with maybe jab or another aerial. It depends on whether they drop shield after the first one. If they don't drop, jab's probably a bad option. I do know that fair 1 is pretty bad on shield and can be punished by a lot of jabs before you could pull off d-tilt. I don't know about jab. As far as the bomb thing goes, I think you'd have to be really fast to avoid the bomb coming back down to blow up in your face during the grab. If you throw immediately it might work.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Try to avoid attacking shields up close. If they do shield say Nair, you can buffer a dodge away or if you're feeling bold Dtilt's a low risk poke. In general it's best to get out and reset neutral.

LuckAndPluck

Smash Rookie
Some things you could do are nair/fair 1 on shield --> dtilt, grab, spotdodge, instant short hop nair, roll behind opponent, etc. Sometimes nair/fair 1 on shield --> dtilt on shield --> buffered turn around --> short hop bair works because the turnaround can move you away just enough to dodge and punish a shield grab. For me, when I turnaround my YL walks slightly away for a few frames before I input the sh bair.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
What you can get away with after you hit an opponent's shield really depends on who you're facing and what their habits are. If you're facing an opponent that only shied grabs, then you can get away with any option that will come out faster than or exactly on 10 frames (after you factor in your "on shield" disadvantage). But if you're facing Lucina, who has a 5 frame Uspecial, then you have to be MUCH more careful. A lot of top tiers have quick aerials OOS so you should be wary of those as well. Also, if you notice that your opponent likes to drop shield and attack with an A button move then you can pretty much do whatever you want.

So Nair's sweetspot is -2 on shield and its sourspot is -3. If an opponent tries to shield grab you, they will lose to spotdodge (frame 3 plus your 2 or 3 frame disadvantage so it's frame 5 or 6) or jab (frame 8 or 9). If you land the sweetspot AND buffer Dtilt (assuming perfect execution which people don't always do) then you will be even with shield grab (again, if your opponent doesn't waste any frames) and you'll still win since Dtilt will interrupt the grab. Most of the time Ylinks get away with Dtilt though since it's really hard to react to, especially online. SH Nair and Bair are also good options. Nair will come out on frame 9 or 10 (3 frame jumpsquat, 4 frame Nair, and 2 or 3 frame disadvantage) and Bair will come out on frame 11 or 12.

Fair1 is -3, Fair2 is -2 and Bair1 and2 are -3 on shield so all of the other I mentioned apply to them as well.

Also, you mentioned trying to grab after landing Nair. I would only recommend that if you think your opponent will stay in shield after your Nair. For instance, let's say you've been punishing him for dropping shield too early after you Nair his shield and he decides to wait out your options. Instead of doing Dtilt you could grab to mix him up. This is really the only safe scenario for Grab after Nairing someone's shield since Ylinks grab is so slow (frame 12 and after shield disadvantage frame 14 or 15).

Here's a google doc that has both frame data and shield advantage info. It's really helpful in figuring out what your character and what your opponent can get away with on shield.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16fmsoqDoQaR1eteVk2uuzIH2DB4iQHVrqiG8VRbRA7Q/edit?usp=sharing
This google doc lists every character's fastest OOS options. It's also pretty neat.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wohzlhHm6bHbzl9bNBHiIQhjwzp9ZgoeTEostOMd3G0/edit?usp=sharing

LukeStormwalker

Smash Rookie
I've been experimenting with pressuring with an aerial or two, and then using a grounded up b since it can poke shields. I don't know if this is actually useful or just a neat trick though. Also bombs can let you get away with shenanigans sometimes. You can throw bomb up or z drop it before it blows up and go for a really big commitment like a smash attack, and then the bomb can hit you, them, or both to save you if they go in to punish.

Top Bottom