• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do we need to make online great?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
My first item is that for online I'd like to see people have a reputation ranking, which will go down for ****ty behavior like quitting matches, having a bad connection, excessive tag changes, excessive in game self destructs, idling etc. Get rid of the dumbass reporting system and FG hell banning, and let people form reputations on their own. This way players can decide who they want to interact with better, and jerks and clowns can be avoided for players that want to play the game properly, but if someone wants to play with someone with a ****ty reputation or have a ****ty reputation they can, without the risk of being soft banned for weeks on end.

What else people? I don't have time to search out or go to tourneys IRL. The online community needs to expand, what needs to happen to make it awesome?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
*Alpha stages, not omega stages. (I'd rather a stage selection based on how competitively viable they are, but this won't happen with Sakurai. So this is the best compromise.)

*Custom game lobbies. Allows you to search for a game across the world with rule sets determined by the host. Like "With Friends", but obviously public. You can start up custom tournaments as well.

*The addition of Multi-Man, Homerun Contest and Special Smash with friends. We had the first two in Brawl and was basically the only enjoyment online from that game. Why take it out?

*A reputation system you suggest is a good idea. It is much better than the mysterious "restricted" list they hide if you get enough reports. Perhaps a public stat page on how much a person quits mid-game, the amount of stalemates (a high % could determine a party taunter which could remove the fat in For Fun), and their latency.

*Team Smash with people online. Why wasn't this in Smash 4, again? Why can't I go in Team Smash with a buddy online? Nonsensical, really.

*Tournament Mode would be better with more structure. Have global and regional tournaments on a timely basis with rewards (why not some extra costumes for Miis, gold, a new trophy, whatever). Having a massive cluster like in Smash 4 was a horrible idea. I love the concept of tournament mode, but it needs to be much better.

*Proper matchmaking based on win % and levels/ranks. It promotes a better experience for everyone and gives incentive to improve/progress.

*Inspired by Halo 3: a veto system. The game selects a stage and its rules. If both/majority veto it, a second selection is chosen and must be played. I mostly want this to remove the garbage like 75m though, admittedly.

Last edited:

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
*Alpha stages, not omega stages. (I'd rather a stage selection based on how competitively viable they are, but this won't happen with Sakurai. So this is the best compromise.)

*Custom game lobbies. Allows you to search for a game across the world with rule sets determined by the host. Like "With Friends", but obviously public. You can start up custom tournaments as well.
All great ideas, but I really like these first two.

Top Bottom