• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do Palu mains use out of shield?

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Nair OOS seems to miss half of the cast due to their height, especially if you have even slight pushback on the shield. Would you guys use dair instead? What other options make sense here?

Thanks!

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
The general consensus from what I've seen seems to be that Palutena just DOESN'T attack OOS. Like you said, Nair is her fastest move, but it whiffs against a lot of the cast. Fair is slower and whiffs just as badly unless you delay it most of the time. I've heard a few people say Bair works, but only of the opponent is behind you. Dair hits everyone, but is too slow to be very useful except as a mixup, and same with shield grab. Most advice I've found is just to hop away and try to reset. That said, throwing out a Dair or Nair doesn't hurt too much even if you miss, thanks to low landing lag on both moves.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
The general consensus from what I've seen seems to be that Palutena just DOESN'T attack OOS. Like you said, Nair is her fastest move, but it whiffs against a lot of the cast. Fair is slower and whiffs just as badly unless you delay it most of the time. I've heard a few people say Bair works, but only of the opponent is behind you. Dair hits everyone, but is too slow to be very useful except as a mixup, and same with shield grab. Most advice I've found is just to hop away and try to reset. That said, throwing out a Dair or Nair doesn't hurt too much even if you miss, thanks to low landing lag on both moves.
Found this online: +3 to the aerials for jump
• Nair - 8 frames
• Grab - 11 frames
• Bair - 11 frames
• Fair - 12 frames
• Dair - 13 frames

I guess this supports your general statement in that basically all of the aerials are probably negative OOS against a majority of incoming moves with the exception of Nair, which requires them to be horrifically spaced and not a small boy. Nair is probably a good answer to dash attacks on shield such as Wario or Ganonderp. Maybe sometimes dair for something like a shielded Pichu F smash. It sends them at a really weird angle that basically resets neutral and gets a free side B attempt or something.

To your point on the landing lag, i'll have to try throwing out dair and nair with the understanding that ive got maybe a 50% chance of connecting and just jump vertically into falling retreat. I think i have a bad habit of angling in with nair in an attempted to connect the hitbox, which gives me a garbo landing position if i miss. Or i just get up smashed and die.

Will also just try running away and looking for a read on their action out of their whiff lag. It does make sense with her hit and run play style to just be happy to be moving in neutral again.

Good info. thanks

Tujex

Smash Ace
As someone who plays against Palu, UpB isn't a proper OOS technique? Yeah, it doesn't do damage, but it puts you right back in neutral range and leaves a slower opponent as projectile fodder.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom