• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do most Fox mains use the c-stick for?

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Do most people have the c-stick set to smashes or tilts at high level? I was thinking maybe a lot of Fox players use the c-stick for an easy up smash since he's so reliant on that. I don't really use the c-stick at all but am trying to get used to using it because I know it can make some things easier. But input on this would be appreciated, thanks.

EPM

Smash Cadet
A lot of people like tilt stick to make it easier to short hop autocancel up air and perfect pivot up tilts, and certain aerials without sacrificing their air movement. I'm just used to smash stick so I keep it on that and I've learned other ways to do the other stuff except PP tech, which isn't that important in the meta yet but is only possible with tilt stick. But yeah running up smash is easier that way and a couple of things easier like timing f and d smashes for ledge punishes

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I always use jump cancelled up smashes but I keep my stick on smash for the fast down smashes.

colinies

Smash Cadet
NNID
CoLiNieS
I use Smash Stick but I know a lot use Tilt Stick for Auto Cancel Up Airs, I practiced it enoughed that i just do it with Y and A

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
Here's what I'm wondering. I've heard in several places that the c-stick set to 'smash' will have more lag with aerials than if the stick was set to tilts (attack). Is this true?

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
You get more mileage out of tilt stick, but I have mine set to smash because I can't make the transition.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
I prefer tilt stick mostly because you can always just jump cancel your up smashes to gain a slide comparable to brawl running up smash. I find PP utilt better than dsmash, because PP dsmash's main use is longer range ledge invincibility punishes, which are only good against recoveries like Marth's and MK's that hit you through the stage.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I've been using tilt-stick for Fox and it works pretty well. I use it a lot for my grounded up tilts and up tilt combos. Anyone else use it for that?

Last edited:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
I've been using tilt-stick for Fox and it works pretty well. I use it a lot for my grounded up tilts and up tilt combos. Anyone else use it for that?
I've been using this too, but I've found it to be even more useful for using utilt OOS. Instead of having to press up and A, you just press up on the c-stick, whick limits your errors and allows you to be a quick as possible.

Hubbles

Smash Rookie
I still can't decide which I prefer. Generally I'd say that tilts on :GCCN: is much better.
Even though I keep on missing my d-smashes with :GCN:+:GCA: input and it's infuriating me, I'm even more garbage at executing tilts with :GCN:+:GCA:.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
Smash, just because im stuck in muscle memory from brawl. Also, smash stick lets you do perfect pivot smashes easier.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Honestly to optimize your play, I would set my c stick to attack since Perfect Pivoting to tilts are very good for Fox but currently it feels too weird to me since I've been playing Smash competitively since 06 but I'm easing myself into it. IF you can accomplish it tho, I think its important since you can jump cancel up smash out of shield and everything else you don't need to be too strict with.

M@v

Subarashii!
Honestly to optimize your play, I would set my c stick to attack since Perfect Pivoting to tilts are very good for Fox but currently it feels too weird to me since I've been playing Smash competitively since 06 but I'm easing myself into it. IF you can accomplish it tho, I think its important since you can jump cancel up smash out of shield and everything else you don't need to be too strict with.
I've been debating it too. The most tempting thing about attack stick for me is the prospect of perfect pivot uptilts, but ive been used to c stick being my smash stick for 7 years.

Last edited:

Jet3000

Smash Apprentice
I recently changed to tilts to have a much easier time perfect pivoting with fox, still trying to ease in it because my muscle memory of brawl fox. Been so used to c-stick being my smash stick ever since brawl.

BeastRay

Smash Cadet
NNID
pray75
One of the best things I've gained from switching to C stick on attack is the ability to use down air in more ways than just the standard kill set up. Specifically, I can full hop forward while using dair, but sway back enough to where they punish the wrong spot. And because it autocancels at that height, I get a nice punish.

I can also catch people in the air and extend combos that way. I'm going to be implementing perfect pivoting into my game over the next few months, but I have found that racking up damage has been much easier since the switch. I'm even starting to get the killing down, too.

horizons889

Smash Apprentice
I was told on another forum that the c-stick is bad to use for uptilt chain combos as fox due to end lag... is this true?

Last edited:

dadominator8

Smash Rookie
NNID
dddsoxfan98
A lot of people like tilt stick to make it easier to short hop autocancel up air and perfect pivot up tilts, and certain aerials without sacrificing their air movement. I'm just used to smash stick so I keep it on that and I've learned other ways to do the other stuff except PP tech, which isn't that important in the meta yet but is only possible with tilt stick. But yeah running up smash is easier that way and a couple of things easier like timing f and d smashes for ledge punishes
Yeah perfect pivot uptilts for sure

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
By setting C-stick to Tilts, how should a Fox player use smashes? Just the standard Analog + A? Jump-cancel them for running Smashes? Perhaps I just need to practice more.

I've been getting PP tilits down, but I've been pretty sloppy about finishing stocks due to my lack of skill with Smashes not on the C-stick.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
By setting C-stick to Tilts, how should a Fox player use smashes? Just the standard Analog + A? Jump-cancel them for running Smashes? Perhaps I just need to practice more.

I've been getting PP tilits down, but I've been pretty sloppy about finishing stocks due to my lack of skill with Smashes not on the C-stick.
Generally, your Fsmash and Dsmash can just be inputted with Analog+A if you are using tilt stick.

Usmash is almost always jump cancelled, be it OoS or running Usmash. Jump cancelled running Usmash actually slides a bit further than just Usmashing out of the run.

As a lot of people in here have said, I think tilt stick is probably better but I like my quick smashes and have been using the C-stick since something like 08. I'm honestly not sure if I could make the transition at this point.

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Generally, your Fsmash and Dsmash can just be inputted with Analog+A if you are using tilt stick.

Usmash is almost always jump cancelled, be it OoS or running Usmash. Jump cancelled running Usmash actually slides a bit further than just Usmashing out of the run.

As a lot of people in here have said, I think tilt stick is probably better but I like my quick smashes and have been using the C-stick since something like 08. I'm honestly not sure if I could make the transition at this point.
Yeah, if you use jump cancelled Usmash then the slide is comparable to fox's brawl dash Usmash. For me, using tilt stick isn't an issue because I played the 3ds version for like a year before switching to the wii u, so I had to deal with manual smashes for a long time. As a result, I was used to that method of using smashes when I switched to the GC controller. I mostly prefer tilt stick because quick smashes don't matter as much to me as AC uairs using Z jump, which eliminates the chances of accidentally using Usmash instead of uair. I plan to use PP utilts to extend combos, but I haven't practiced PPing enough to use it in matches yet.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588

Ok, thanks for the reply!

I just need to practice more then. With Tap Jump off, what do you suggest for Frame Perfect aerials? I have tilt stick going but are they possible with Y instead of Tap Jump on?

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
It's possible, but there is a decent chance you will input an up smash instead. I recommend using Z to jump if your uairs are turning into usmashes (Assuming tilt stick is on). If you don't have trouble with it, you don't have to switch, but I would consider it if you struggle with inputting SH AC uairs. The reason why you can't do this with Y is because you won't have time to hit Y then immediately use the C-stick for the up air just with one finger, and you have to use three fingers if you want to cover C-stick, ABXY, and R/Z all at the same time. With Z jump, your thumb stays on the Cstick, while your pointer finger hits Z, so it isn't an uncomfortable and wierd position switch, just a slight adjustment to your controls.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I personally use X to jump (probably habits from Melee Fox, always felt easier to waveshine by sliding from B to X than B to Y)and use default C stick, but I can still SH AC Uairs, but I input the Uair traditionally through Up+A. It took some practice but I can do it reliably now.

So yes it's possible, Dream Cancel Dream Cancel , and not at all outlandish, but of course it requires a decent amount of practice. I personally have tap jump off like you so I have to JC my OoS Usmash and I can't doublestick my AC Uairs.

Yes, I hate tap jump that much.

Kofeezy

Smash Rookie
Hmm, I tried tilt stick and I realize sometimes I get nair trying to use fair, so I nixed it and went back to smash. How do you guys stand that?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't use stick for ariels.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I use the stick for Down-Smash only, It just feels right, I do the other smashs with the Control Stick + :GCA: (although I use the gamepad as my controller of choice)

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Jump canceled up smash gives you slightly more distance than a simple running up smash, but it's also a good option is because you can use it in any situation where you can jump (such as in-shield or out of a pivot).

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I use smash stick, since I can still do pp up/down tilts pretty consistently with analog+A. The combination of pp down smash/up tilt/down tilt and easy pivot forward smashes just feels really strong.

Nubber

Smash Cadet
I use smash stick, since I can still do pp up/down tilts pretty consistently with analog+A. The combination of pp down smash/up tilt/down tilt and easy pivot forward smashes just feels really strong.
I thought I was alone. Glad to know someone else does it the same way.

Knaprig

Smash Rookie
What's the problem with using smash attack c-stick for aerials? Is there a frame difference for aerials made with smash stick / tilt stick?

Elyan

Smash Rookie
How do you manage PP u tilt with tilt stick O..o I cannot for the life of me do it . That's the whole reason I switched to tilt stick and i mess up my D smash every time so I'd like to know hahaha .

What's the problem with using smash attack c-stick for aerials? Is there a frame difference for aerials made with smash stick / tilt stick?
I believe if you use smash stick you risk cutting all your momentum when doing aerials if you hold the stick in the direction for too long .

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I think with Smash stick it halts your momentum if you're pushing a direction on the analog and then push an opposite direction on smash stick.

I use tilt stick exclusively. My muscle memory with smashes on analog + A is good and I have no problems doing PP smashes. PP utilt, ditilt, and jab are big parts of my play so having that option is essential to me.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Tilt stick.

Running up smash with U+z, as you can't charge a smash it just fires off as fast as possible. Also, tap jump on means can jump cancel it, for a slide, AND as fast as possible usmash.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
I use smash stick. It's just because it's the default controls that I'm already so used to. Plus, ultra-quick down smashes have their perks, and fsmash reads and even risky tech chases couldn't be any more satisfying.

DKGrayson

Smash Cadet
NNID
tauelf
Is a smash stick ever as fast as a Z smash though?

Or at least, is it consistently as fast?

Top Bottom