• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 What did you guys think of the tournament?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Vacant chairs? By all accounts it was a full house. Where were the empties?
OK, maybe I was just confused? I was sure there was loots of space and a whole section of unused chairs, when it had the camera from the waay back looking towards teh stage. but maybe I'm wrong and it was full house lol :D

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
Honestly the tournament was great.

I wish they'd not put a time limit on the grand final, showcase more stages and towned down the items a bit (they did it for the latter matches), but overall I found the tournamentto be great at what it was. A fun showcase of a game like smash bros, that is SUPPOSED to appeal to both casual and hardcore player. The fan favorite votes were welcomed due to the unfairness of FFA battles, they gave a second chance and had a good vibe to show. Everyone seemed to enjoyed it and played along in good fun, players, casters, host and audience were all very good.

For that I enjoyed it perfectly, it was a very good one time event.

That being said, That is not what I want from a competitive tournament. Because of general unfairness of the rules and mostly because of the game itself not being prone to impressive plays.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
While the Sudden Death at the end was unfortunate, as it was looking like HBox would have won otherwise, it was still great fun. Despite the majority of the tourney being 4 player free for alls with items for a game with not quite as competitive an edge as Melee everyone still seemed really invested in it, and if the commentators and players are digging it the spectators will most likely follow.

So yeah, I was really enjoying it, thought it was tons of fun, and we got a good look at some of the veteran changes and how the newcomers will play. Just a good experience all together.

With that said, if they do it again it'll most likely not be as exciting, by that point the game will be out and people will already host their own tournaments with much better rules, so if they're going to do it again they should follow the rules set by fans.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Sad that HBox didn't win... but hey, at least Kirby can hold his own (and win) with ZSS!!!

Mega Man's Final Smash was the most hype-inducing thing I've ever seen.

Spoa

Smash Cadet
NNID
iSmashbro
3DS FC
2251-5709-7722
Hungrybox got the real prize. He got to hug Reggie Fils-Aime.

Outside of the Sudden Death stall at the end, it was really amazing to watch. Thinking about Villager's final smash being called the Build-A-Bear combo still makes me laugh.

smashfraz

Smash Rookie
4player Items on unbalances stages sucked. I'm not trying to bash ZeRo, but all those smash balls. I understand Nintendo wants to show crazy stages and items, but there could be a balance.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
4player Items on unbalances stages sucked. I'm not trying to bash ZeRo, but all those smash balls. I understand Nintendo wants to show crazy stages and items, but there could be a balance.
I partially blame the players. The Coliseum stage was painful to watch, both because Pit was doing a lot of stupid stuff and because they all just let Wii Fit Trainer stand on the side and grab items instead of going after her. Also, I was disappointed ZeRo won, especially with how awesome Hungrybox was in the final.

Best matches of the night:
1. Boxing Ring match with fun Rosalina and MEGA MAN FIGHTING TO SAVE THE WORLD!!!!!!
2. Celebrity match. They weren't off in corners doing random crap or letting one person grab all the items, they were playing Smash to its fullest and having fun, and they weren't too shabby either.
3. Final match. Tense moments, especially when Kirby was ducking and jumping right through ZSS kicks. Disappointing ending though.

Worst matches:
1. Journalist match. Sooo dull, and Yellow Devil is super annoying.
2. Coliseum match, for the reasons previously mentioned. It's like only Mario was really even playing.
3. The other Wily Castle match. Yellow Devil looks reeeeeally annoying. I'm gonna hate that stage.

Special moments:
1. MEGA MAN getting fan favorite solely from Final Smash hype.
2. Seeing ZSS new FS was awesome [the first time].
3. New Super Mario Bros U stage looks really cool, though the random icicle drops... why? Did that happen in the original game?
4. Kirby getting the kill from the stage lights on the Boxing Ring was cool. Broken, maybe, but funny and unexpected at first.

Last edited:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
It was a ton of fun to watch. I did find some of the players didn't really use the characters to the best of their potential. Like the guy playing Megaman I don't think I seen a down tilt out of him the entire tournament. He spammed up and down smashes to much. Never made use of the metal blade or the leaf shield. I know he's new to the game and character but still basic smash principles still apply. Other than that it got me more hyped than ever I hate having to wait till October for the 3ds version let alone later again for the Wii U version.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I agree that Geoff seemed uninterested. He seemed like one of those really sarcastic comedians who didn't understand why people people loved a game/s. That's exactly what I was picking up from him. I've never heard of him before this event, but I guess he was pretty popular with teens and kids so maybe they chose him for star power? I don't want to bash the guy, I just don't think he fit right for the invitationals.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I hated the fighting style of some of the people.
The Wii Fit Trainer and Kirby stood out to me. Wii Fit Trainer was hanging out on one side away from the action just shooting crap. The kind of player you know will probably win in 4v4 but will get slaughtered in 1v1 :p.
Then Kirby often did the same thing. I really hated how Kirby made it so far after practicing avoidance so often (not as bad as Wii Fit Trainer). At one point Kirby just kept taunting on one side.

Also Mega Man was a fan favorite no matter how bad Mega Man did, and Mega Man did pretty darned bad (though it IS a new character so I can't blame whoever played him). The voting was ridiculous because of it. They'd vote Mega Man the winner in that last 1v1 battle if they could.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
The Celebrity match was probably my favorite. So many Bowser Down Bs. Everyone was confused because it was working.

Korean DJ was the hero in that Mega Man final smash. Never forget.

D1

Banned via Administration
That's an understatement man, D1 was going ****ing crazy, I don't think I've ever seen him like that, even in that one pools set with Kage. I'm not sure if it was genuine hype or if he was "playing it up" becuse it was a Nintendo sponsored event. Either way it was funny.
To be quite honest, after watching nothing but people zoning and spacing either each other out that Final Smash got me the most excited out of everything else. As an homage to Megaman Day which is usually on the 9th on June, I had to do it. I felt it in my heart, and let it rip for all the internet and people watching in the Nokia Theatre. My voice was raspy for 3 days, but it was worth. I had such a fun time. I loved the MegaMan show when I was younger and it showed in my enthusiasm during that moment.

To be clear to everyone on the internet, everything I do on the mic is from the heart. There's no reason to ever force anything, if I'm going to start faking how I feel about certain moments on the mic, that's the day I'll quit commentary.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
The celebrity match was the best part. Zelda was apparently a *very* dangerous Greninja.

Honestly, the invitationals didn't have too good of 1 vs. 1s, the ones Chibo recorded were a lot more hype for me (POKEMON BATTLE, LUUUUUGIA, etc.)

Raveks

Smash Rookie
Other than the wii fit trainer playing on the side of the map for the whole tournament and the disappointing end in the grand finals(zero shouldn't have won ;) ), i thought it was hype :D. I watched in while on skype with friends and we had a blast cheering on our favorites and making predictions.

Although it wasn't exactly formatted as a competitive tournament (4 player ffa with items), it was still very fun and exciting to watch and showcased lots of cool game play.

The invitational may be the biggest reason i am so hyped for sm4sh and now want a wii u.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
The celebrity match was the best part. Zelda was apparently a *very* dangerous Greninja.

Honestly, the invitationals didn't have too good of 1 vs. 1s, the ones Chibo recorded were a lot more hype for me (POKEMON BATTLE, LUUUUUGIA, etc.)
I was surprised with the celebrity match myself; I wasn't expecting much out of it and I actually didn't even know who any of them were (It didn't help that they introduced that last girl in name only) but it turned out to be a fun-looking match. Guess that's to be expected when you're free from the pressures of trying to win or trying to hype the game while looking at a giant timer every couple of minutes.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I thought it was pretty good considering the ruleset it was pretty intresting for a casual friendly ruleset and the items got lowered the higher the round. The things i disliked was the amount of stalling and campy it was a show case of competitive play to non competitive fans as well it kinda sucks that the GF were a snoozefest. It was a great time overall i hope they can do it again next year.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
That last match in the grand finals with "hungrybox" and "zero" going dbz on each other with the clock going down. from what I was paying attention to that was the fastest I've seen this game go and it made me hype to play it myself.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I personally enjoyed it a lot. Every match had me interested, to be completely honest.
I was rooting for Ken, HBox, and Zero from the beginning. I was pretty hyped to see two of them in the finals.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
During the finals match when it went to sudden death, and they switched to the camera showing Hbox and ZeRo I literally screamed "Look at the screen!" I was upset that we couldn't see the start of the Sudden Death match thanks to the person operating the cameras not knowing that the round wasn't over.

Unicorn Choke-Slam

Smash Rookie
NNID
Beatnes
I believe that Kirby should have won, but opinions aside, I enjoyed every bit of the tournament. I loved seeing the new items and characters in action and i seriously believe that nintendo should host more of these tournaments. though i am not in total agreement with the use of items or sudden death, those two elements actually injected more hype into the action and made it more exciting to watch. There was room for surprises which would keep the crowd (as well as myself) on edge. There was never a dull moment, and that megaman final smash..... <3<3<3<3<3<3

When reggie Fils-Aime did that real talk at the end, that, for me, was the finale.

Last edited:

Kati

Smash Lord
To be quite honest, after watching nothing but people zoning and spacing either each other out that Final Smash got me the most excited out of everything else. As an homage to Megaman Day which is usually on the 9th on June, I had to do it. I felt it in my heart, and let it rip for all the internet and people watching in the Nokia Theatre. My voice was raspy for 3 days, but it was worth. I had such a fun time. I loved the MegaMan show when I was younger and it showed in my enthusiasm during that moment.

To be clear to everyone on the internet, everything I do on the mic is from the heart. There's no reason to ever force anything, if I'm going to start faking how I feel about certain moments on the mic, that's the day I'll quit commentary.
D1, you were my favourite part of E3.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It was utterly silly. Nearly every match came down to who got the Smash Ball and whose Final Smashes sucked the least.
Yes, and "who got the Smash Ball" was largely a matter of who was skilled at getting it. I don't like the ruleset either, but the players knew what they were getting into, and some were better at getting the smash ball (or smarter about knowing that it was worth going for) than others.

Top Bottom