• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What did I clearly miss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to try and make this as clear and concise as I can without making it a wall of confusing text to read.

I have put hours upon hours upon hours into Smash Wii U/ DS, to where I felt fairly comfortable on a few characters. I even played on Anther's Ladder quite a bit, got stomped, and tried my best to adapt to what I was told. I won some, I lost some. You can't win everything right?

Then I got Smash Ultimate and I have no idea what's going on. This is the same account I've posted on with those other games, so I'm not some guy who just made an account and said "nerf hero X!" I kept feeling like my control were off, so I got a regular controller. Then I get into games where I clearly hit a button and there's a large delay between what happens. It's not my internet, as I play Overwatch with almost minimal lag and a consistent 20MS ping. On top of that, I'll pick a hero that I'm confident with to hold my old like Bowser, and I'll just get 3 stocked. So is the match making now different too?

What has happened between 1 game to another that makes me feel like I almost have no control over my own character or matches any longer? I'm pretty sure my last post was "This game feels like I have no control over it" as well and that was like a year ago. I've tried and not got tilted.

What happened between the jump from the Wii U/DS to this game? Am I losing my mind and I've just gotten so bad that button inputs feel delayed? How can I go against a random Pikachu who has the same "global SR" as me who 3 stocks me? Are these matches ranked by HERO rather than account? What am I missing?

I'm not saying I'm good, or great, or anything, but when I do fairly well on certain heroes on last game, how am I getting OBLITERATED in this game when I thought it was just "All heroes are here, the same, have fun!"

GhostM

Phantom
The problem with Smash Ultimate’s online is because the game has the highest native input lag out of any smash title (5 frames both offline and online), and playing online adds additional 5 frames because of delay-based netcode. That’s 10 frames + additional frames if the connection between the players is laggy, which is why you feel the delay between inputting a button and seeing your character doing the inputs on the game.

You also might want to focus a little more on playing the characters in Ultimate differently from Smash 4, simply because many changes such as the universal frame 3 jump squat and overall reduced landing lag, which makes all of the characters feel and play differently compared to their Smash 4 iteration. I feel like you’re still used to your muscle memory from Smash 4, which is causing you to feel so off when playing Ultimate.

I would rather just utilize arenas mainly because those who are looking for decent connections and serious matches can easily pair up and play with each other. Ultimate’s online system pairs you up based on your preferred ruleset, although it will work about 95% of the time, where sometimes you’ll be matched with a player who possesses a completely different ruleset from you. Since the GSP system is universal, it’s not an ideal way to understand how good you are as a player especially when you can cheese the system to farm GSP by playing with gimmicky rulesets. Sadly, there is no separation of competitive and casual players rulesets like how Smash 4 did with For Glory and For Fun, so there are those who want nothing to do with competitive that are ranked.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I had similar issues when I first picked up Ultimate when it launched.

1.) it's NOT Smash WiiU / DS

I had to almost completely relearn Marth. They really did a number on him. Ike too. Just about every character in Smash 4 that I used regularly had to be relearned. Learning curve exists for every smash game sequel but this one took a but longer than the transition from Brawl to 4.

2.) The lag is real. When you play offline for a while then jump online it's as prevalent as during Brawl days. If you're not good at quickly adapting to input delay then this online experiment is gonna be hell for you.

3.} GSP is crap. This late in the game's release you've missed the time when 95 percent of players were spread over a smaller curve and elite smash was easier to reach if you were halfway decent at 1v1. Now you'll run into tougher opponents even at lower gsp levels. I'd say getting past 3 million is the new goal for players newer to Ultimate. Seeing as you've been playing a while but still struggling means you have to focus on the mechanics and online drawbacks before worrying about gso.

Good luck.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I think that Elite Smash is easier to reach now. I used to go in and out a few times with R.O.B. but now I am so far up in Elite Smash that going out of it is just not realistic anymore. Though of course it could also be that I just got better at the game. I did need a bit of time to adjust to the game when I first got it for sure. SSBU controls very different from Smash 4. Personally I like how Smash 4 controls better than how SSBU controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom