• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What custom control layout do you use?

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Since I'm not great at performing tilts, I have tilts bound to the C stick (I use Gamecube controller). I also assign grabs to the Y button so I can still use the X button to jump. I prefer using my right hand to shield/sidestep, so it helps to always have my finger right on the button just in case.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Until just recently, I used exclusively default controls, first with the Gamepad and now with the Pro Controller. Recently, however, I've been using tilt stick for certain characters.
I've always used tap jump as my primary jump, so losing that would be a big adjustment. I've gotten used to the position of all the other buttons (sans X & Y, which I don't touch) and their functions (to the point where I have to swap the shield/grab button on GC), so I don't bother changing any of them. I use the right stick almost any time I need to do a directional aerial and thus tend toward double-sticking. This is why I've started using tilt stick for some characters (especially :4metaknight:), because double-stick short-hop up-air is challenging with right stick set to smash (which I used because my main at the time, :4villager:, gets a lot of mileage off F-Smash, which would be more difficult w/o smash stick).

Maybe there was something useful in that ramble, IDK.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I use Pro Controller.

A Attack
B Special
X Jump
Y Jump
L Jump
R Special
ZL Grab
ZR Special
Tilt Stick
DPad is just taunts

Don't worry, most people do Tilt Stick because it's generally regarded as the most useful of all the 3 main choices. Smash Stick is just sort of there, Special stick is generally if you want to do more flashy tech stuff or Bidou.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, I normally use default controls for the Gamecube controller though I do have tap jump off. As far as I am concerned, doing up-tilts is already needlessly complicated so tap jump disabled makes my efforts go smoother. But when I feel like practicing DACUS in Brawl I'd remap the Z to attack, Y to shield, and A to shield. But other than that, I'm used to default controls.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
The most notable changes people make are (GC controller):
*Remapping C-stick from smashes to tilts so you can buffer tilts out of shield or tilt instead of smash attacking.
*Removing tap jump so you don't accidentally jump while trying to perform an up tilt or up smash.
*Vibration off (purely preference thing, some people find vibration distracting or feel it can making certain stick angles harder).
Less common ones that could be considered character specific are:
*Remap whichever shoulder button they don't use for shielding to special. It can make some advanced techniques like Sheik's aerial needle turnaround or instant needle cancelling easier.
*Remap the D-pad from taunts to move so they can more easily input Ryu's true specials.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
A - Attack
B - Special
Y - Jump
X - Grab (something that I did to circumvent the lack of shoulder buttons on the 3DS version)
L - Shield
R - Shield
ZL - Jump (makes jump-cancelling a hell of a lot easier)
ZR - Grab
C-Stick - Smash (cannot get used to tilt stick and refuse to try)
Tap Jump - Off
A + B Smash - Off
Rumble - Off (CC Pro doesn't have it)

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
Pro controller.
A:special
B:jump
X:special
Y:attack
L:shield
R:special
ZL:shield
ZR:grab
Special stick
Tap jump off
Attack + special on
Rumble off

When I started researching Bidou I concluded that I wanted to use only particular aspects. This scheme allows PP without interfering with the old lay out.

Having special assigned to X and A makes special attacks more available between jumps and normal attacks. Having attack plus special on allows me to switch to a smash focused approach on the fly. It also helps me focus on my spacing. I use it to ceamlessly cancel limit and launch smashes with Cloud. © limit cancel smashing. Recently started using this to punish rushdown while charging limit.

I know its redundant to have 3 inputs dedicated to specials, but there is a method to my madness.

Top Bottom