• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U What Controller would be easier to adapt to??

Which controller would be easier to ADAPT to?

• Wired Game Pad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PigfacePotato

Smash Rookie
Hey, all. I am a normie from the casual scene looking to improve a bit more than I have been, a part of that is getting a new controller. Currently, I use the... Wait for it... WII U GAMEPAD :estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic: This is because, as a casual, I like to play while leaning back on the couch. This is not sustainable, especially since I won't be able to always use it. I won't be able to use it in other places (most likely) and it's kinda just looked down upon. I want to upgrade either into two things, either the Wii U Pro Controller or the Gamecube Controller/Wired Fight Pad. There are pro's and con's for both, and I'll list them out

WII U Pro Controller
+Easier to Adapt to button Layout
+Two shoulder buttons
+Bigger and more Firm, Grips seem better
+Better control sticks
+Very similar to Gamepad
-Harder to short-hop combo
-Harder to do combos in general

Gamecube Controller / Wired FIght Pad
+Better combo optimization
+Better short-hopping
+Wired, so less lag/interference (Gamecube Controller Only)
-I have never touched a GameCube controller in my life
-Hard to adapt to (maybe)
-One less shoulder button (Not on Wired Fight Pad)

So please type down below what you think. If a Gamecube controller is not hard to adapt to then maybe it would be better, who knows, oh wait, you do.

P.S.
IS a GameCube controller or Wired Fight Pad better? Gamecube requires an adapter, which cost is of no consequence, but other reasons like not having one on hand at a friends house. While Wired Fight Pad has an extra shoulder button, which I am really not looking forward to adjusting to without one if I chose Gamepad.
SO PLEASE LIST IF GAMECUBE CONTROLLER OR WIRED GAME PAD IS BETTER, EVEN IF YOU PICK PRO CONTROLLER THANKS, BOO <33333

P.S.S

What Gamecube Controller Sellers are the best? Thanks again????

Last edited:

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
l use Wii U Pro and I also used to use the Gamepad.
Not sure why you think Wii U Pro has worse combos or short-hops...
I'm a little surprised you said the Pro had better control sticks. I guess you prefer range of motion over accuracy? Most people see the GC sticks as better because of the notches.

I'd say use the Pro. Also, IDK if GC or Wired Fight Pad is better, but keep in mind that the Wired Fight Pads are not made by Nintendo. You may not have a problem with that but I personally have not had good experiences with 3rd-party controllers.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Why would combos on Pro Controller be harder, much less shorthops?
I think you need to estabilish where you got this con from first before we tell you what you should use.
If you're used to a Wii U Gamepad you should try to switch to a Pro Controller and run the Bidou control scheme there while you're at it.

PigfacePotato

Smash Rookie
Why would combos on Pro Controller be harder, much less shorthops?
I think you need to estabilish where you got this con from first before we tell you what you should use.
If you're used to a Wii U Gamepad you should try to switch to a Pro Controller and run the Bidou control scheme there while you're at it.
For me, the distance between x and a makes me occasionally fail or choke, or slip while doing a shorthop attack, and the Gamecube controller seems like it is easier to not do that. Also, Gamecube seems just easier to combo because of that sole aspect of being able to time the timing and height of your jumps better AND seamlessly go to attack. I think the gap in buttons is different between PRo Controllers and Gamepads, though.

And I don't know if I can get into bidou, I don't think I have enough discipline.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
But then that's completely subjective and not objective in the slightest. This is something you can fix with custom control schemes if you really have an issue.
If you're going to do SH aerials while drifting back and forth, you will not be using A to attack anyway, you'll be using the CStick.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
When I started playing this game I used a wired fight pad. This seemed to be pretty good, but the controller felt a bit lighter than I was used to and a bit flimsier.

I eventually upgraded to the GameCube controller and haven't looked back. I should mention however that I grew up playing the GameCube, so I am used to the controller. The size and button layout is pretty much the same as the fight pad, but it is heavier and feels more robust.

I also have a Pro controller but I haven't attempted to use it on smash yet. Overall it is a great controller, but the GameCube controller just feels more natural for this game.

As far as where to get GameCube controllers, I've had success winning eBay auctions for under $15. Just get a tri wing screwdriver (they are about $2) so you can take apart the controllers for cleaning. After I get a used GameCube controller I take it apart completely and thoroughly clean it with soap and hot water (the shell, buttons and sticks). Let it dry then put it back together. Good as new.

Best of luck on your decision.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ever since I regularly played Melee, I've always stuck by the Gamecube controller. As far as I can tell, this is really the only way to get the most out of the fighters.

CGQ

Smash Rookie
Both Wii pro and GameCube are great, but personally I think GameCube is better. Why? Because it is wired so you have absolutely no chance of lag and almost all of the smash community uses GameCube so when you look up tutorials online most of them are going to be targeted towards using a GameCube controller. Also FamilyTeam said if you use the Wii Pro controller you could try out Bidou. Bidou is a entirely new way of moving your character pretty much and might be difficult to try/master, but it doesn't need to be ran on a Wii Pro controller it can also run on GameCube. Here's a video if you are interested in learning it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk

Ruben Samich

Smash Rookie
Use a wii classic controller pro. That's what I use and it's surprisingly rare in the smash community. You get the best of both worlds! You get notched sticks, and you get all the buttons of a Wii U pro controller, and you don't even have to have triggers that take forever to pull! I think it's the ideal smash controller. Also you can get it for dirt cheap.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I use GCN out of preference and it's what I grew up on. Try both controllers but if you are going for a GCN, try to stayb away from the cheap third party brands (the nintendo themed controllers come to mind, or look for a GCN in see-through bag). You can also try getting a hori fightpad or wait until december tp get hori's GCN that will be out by then. Hori is a company that makes arcade sticks for traditional fighting games.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I just use the Pro Controller. I don't care about the GC controller, and the input lag is just irrelevant... Some guy already made a comparison and he came to the conclusion that the WiiU Pro Controller had 55% of chance that it will register 1 frame later than a GameCube controller and less than 1% of chance it will register 2 frames later than a GameCube controller. In my mind this is pretty irrelevant for any casual gamer or actually any not serious competitor player. And if you are playing with friends on the same conditions (everybody pro controller or gamepad). It's much more confortable to me play on the Pro Controller, with a wireless controller, and if it costs 1 frame, it's fine for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtCgo7YR-LQ

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I would recommend either a Gamecube Controller or a Pro Controller if you're a beginner.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I'd go with a Pro Controller and map Jump to a Shoulder button, like ZL. I do this with a GC controller except I map Jump to L.

I say use a Pro because: 1) it's most similar to Gamepad 2) it feels like other mainstream controllers (like the Switch controller) 3) it has more buttons for a more optimal button layout.

Top Bottom