• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controls What controller should I use? Switch Pro Controller tourney legal?

Actually, I realized a simple strategy to use a pro controller wirelessly without interference. After playing, simply press the button on top to disconnect then reconnect it to your own switch. Since it's a portable console, as long as you aren't in airplane mode you can sync back to your own switch at any time and you won't interfere with any actual games. Additionally, if everyone brings their own switch, friendlies can be played any time, anywhere regardless of if a setup is free, assuming people can stand playing on a tiny 720p screen and have a table to put it on. Even if everyone having a switch causes too much wireless noise, pro controllers can go wired to get around that so problem solved.

blanketninja

Smash Rookie
The switch pro controller is objectively the best smash ultimate controller for the following reasons:

1: Digital shoulders = More accurate, and quicker release of shield buttons. (Meaning more consistent parries)
2: Alignment of the face buttons, specifically Y/B which allows for more consistent (and much easier) short hop, and spaced specials.
3: The extra, and digital shoulder buttons make a shoulder jump viable as a primary jumping option. (In smash 4, many top players used a shoulder jump for specific techs like SH Bouncing Fish, or JC Glide toss, but the springs made it nonviable for a main option.)

That said, the gamecube controller does have the octagonal gate around the control stick. Which helps with some recovery angles, and likely airdodge directions. Though you can mod this onto a switch pro if you really wanted it. (I think some third party, but nintendo licensed wired pros have this by default)
This isn't really a complete solution, but I also have been really frustrated with how Gamecube analog triggers are basically useless but I've managed to mod it in a way where the trigger stops the second it activates and doesn't allow you to go any lower. It effectively reduces the travel time of the trigger and should help make tech using the trigger for those using Gamecube controllers more consistent.

The best part is that it's super simple and completely reversible.

https://smashboards.com/threads/mod...gers-to-be-more-like-a-pro-controller.466357/

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
The wireless pro controller reconnects to the Switch if you sneeze on it. In Smash 4, I kept the back off of the controller and removed the battery between sets, and I plan to do the same in Ultimate. It'll work even better this time because the battery is a tighter fit, so it doesn't pop out by accident.

You need to remove the grips to get the battery cover off, but you can replace the grips without putting the battery cover back on.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
The wireless pro controller reconnects to the Switch if you sneeze on it. In Smash 4, I kept the back off of the controller and removed the battery between sets, and I plan to do the same in Ultimate. It'll work even better this time because the battery is a tighter fit, so it doesn't pop out by accident.

You need to remove the grips to get the battery cover off, but you can replace the grips without putting the battery cover back on.
You can also just connect it to your phone to prevent it from connecting to another switch.

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
Pro is definitely legal. That said, using the Pro wired has half a frame of input lag (This is a Switch thing, not a Smash thing), but I believe this applies to any wired controller so it shouldn't be an issue. Aside from that, wireless interference might be an issue but you can deal with that by plugging in.

Personally I might use a Pro for Ultimate, but I'm used to using a GC.
Wouldn't putting controller settings into wired mode disabling nfc fix this?

BltzZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BltzZ7
That's exactly what he is saying. Wired switch controllers all have more input lag, even if it's a wireless controller using a wired connection.
More input lag or less? I'm sorry because originally he said half a frame of delay. I'm just wondering if the frame delay is lessened by being wired in.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
More input lag or less? I'm sorry because originally he said half a frame of delay. I'm just wondering if the frame delay is lessened by being wired in.
The original reports show that a wired pro controller increases your delay as opposed to being wireless. Nobody truly understands why.

However I have seen some really conflicting reports on the wired switch pro input lag debate. I've also seen that due to controller updates (which you can do in the settings menu with any controller connected to the tablet or dock), and system updates have since improved or modified this in some way.

However I am not really equipped to test this, and from my personal experience of just plugging it in and messing around I personally don't notice a decrease in responsiveness, but maybe I'm not sensitive enough.

Per the original post you quoted, and me explicitly saying the word "more" in the post you just quoted, it's more input lag and now less input lag. The input lag of a wired connection on the switch has been tested to be more than the input lag of a wired connection. The answer is more.

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
A wired switch pro should be 100% legal because there is zero chance of sync accidents happening as long as the controller in question isn't wirelessly synced to any of the tournament setups. It only syncs automatically to the system it was last synced to.

So if it's synced to the players switch at home, them bringing it to a tournament or a local and playing on wire eliminates any chance of time wasted due to either needing to sync it before a match, or accidental syncing causing issues for other players.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
A wired switch pro should be 100% legal because there is zero chance of sync accidents happening as long as the controller in question isn't wirelessly synced to any of the tournament setups. It only syncs automatically to the system it was last synced to.

So if it's synced to the players switch at home, them bringing it to a tournament or a local and playing on wire eliminates any chance of time wasted due to either needing to sync it before a match, or accidental syncing causing issues for other players.
By default connecting a Pro Controller to a Switch via USB pairs it with that system. So, unless there's a setting to prevent this that I'm unaware of, it would still reconnect to that last system after playing wired. This is why people are saying to disconnect the battery: It will only ever have power when connected via wire.

Last edited:

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
If you have a USB C to USB C wire, you can connect it directly to your Switch after the match without needing the dock. Thus desyching it from the tournament Switch quickly and easily.

Last edited:

zipzo

Smash Apprentice
By default connecting a Pro Controller to a Switch via USB pairs it with that system. So, unless there's a setting to prevent this that I'm unaware of, it would still reconnect to that last system after playing wired. This is why people are saying to disconnect the battery: It will only ever have power when connected via wire.
Seriously? Ugh...it's almost like they made it hard on purpose...

BowDown

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2738-5951
This might be common knowledge already, but I've yet to see anybody talk about this in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdVl8OMdAwg

This video shows how you can completely desync your pro controller from any given switch device. It requires an android device (but I also heard it works on PCs as well). With this option available, there shouldn't be any more problems of players "failing" to desync their controllers anymore. Of course, that's assuming that the venue has at least one person with an android phone (or maybe just a PC) who is willing to desync every pro controller that needs to be desynced. One solution that I've read about is for venues to have some sort of controller desyncing station, but I don't know if that's too much work for smaller places.

But anyways, if you use a pro controller and own or know a person with an android phone, now you should be worry-free with using a wireless pro controller :)

Nate1080

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate1080
This might be common knowledge already, but I've yet to see anybody talk about this in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdVl8OMdAwg

This video shows how you can completely desync your pro controller from any given switch device. It requires an android device (but I also heard it works on PCs as well). With this option available, there shouldn't be any more problems of players "failing" to desync their controllers anymore. Of course, that's assuming that the venue has at least one person with an android phone (or maybe just a PC) who is willing to desync every pro controller that needs to be desynced. One solution that I've read about is for venues to have some sort of controller desyncing station, but I don't know if that's too much work for smaller places.

But anyways, if you use a pro controller and own or know a person with an android phone, now you should be worry-free with using a wireless pro controller :)
Its been mentioned at least once in this thread.

You can also just connect it to your phone to prevent it from connecting to another switch.

Last edited:

GameQ

Smash Cadet
Why turbos are banned in smash, I don't know. If someone more knowledgeable could tell me that'd be appreciated.
Well right off the bat there is the problem of mashing out bury and grabs. A turbo button will get you out of these situations much faster (or at least make it easier than actual button mashing).

Bury is the big one. Many characters rely on it for kill confirms off bury. We now have multiple bury attacks in the game (Inkling, ROB, K.Rool, Villager, Mr G&W, DK, ZSS, and Wii Fit).

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
so what are they saying now about the wired pro controller vs wired gc cotntoller ( hooked to adapter)? i know i have both and for some reason it feels the wired pro is more responsive in the tilt stick and shielding. maybe because the trigger doesn't have to be pressed as far down to sheild but it just feels more responsive on the wired pro controller.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
so what are they saying now about the wired pro controller vs wired gc cotntoller ( hooked to adapter)? i know i have both and for some reason it feels the wired pro is more responsive in the tilt stick and shielding. maybe because the trigger doesn't have to be pressed as far down to sheild but it just feels more responsive on the wired pro controller.
That's because the Pro controller, as a whole package, is more responsive when wired. The GC controller has to go thru the USB adapter which can add a slight latency.

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
That's because the Pro controller, as a whole package, is more responsive when wired. The GC controller has to go thru the USB adapter which can add a slight latency.
so they they are saying wired pro more responsive then wired gc now? also at valhalla today there was 2 players in top 8 using wireless pro controllers

Top Bottom