• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters would you want if Vol. 2 had 10 fighters instead of 6?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just as the title says. In the scenario that Vol. 2 had 10 fighters instead of 6 (2 Echoes can come with any one of these), which ones would you pick? Only rule is that you have to include the officially revealed fighters as well. Here are mine:
  • 76: Min Min
  • 76ε: Ninjara
  • 77: Sora
  • 78: Steve
  • 79: Euden
  • 80: Crash Bandicoot
  • 81: Sakura Shinguji
  • 81ε: Sakura Amamiya
  • 82: Bandana Dee
  • 83: Scorbunny
  • 84: Monster Hunter
  • 85: Crazy Dave
Honorable mentions: King Boo, Frogger, Jill Valentine

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
#76: Min Min
#77: Steve/Alex
#78: Shantae
#78e: Risky Boots
#79: Geno
#80: Krystal
#81: Isaac
#82: Yoshimitsu
#83: Dixie Kong
#84: Goemon
#85: Elma

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
76:Min Min
77:Steve/Alex
78:Estelle
79:Sakura Shinguji
79ε:Sakura Amamiya
80:Crash Bandicoot
80ε: Coco Bandicoot
81:Euden
82: Phoenix Wright
83:Sora
84:Sol Badguy
85:Reimu

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
#76: Min-Min
#77: Steve/Alex
#78: Bandana Dee
#79: Toxtricity
#80: Crash Bandicoot
#81: Poochy
#82: Heavy Weapons Guy
#83: The Shake King
#84: Henry Stickmin
#85: Excitebiker

Etheus Rook

Smash Apprentice
Shame about that rule, as I'd love to get rid of Steve.

But...

76. Min Min
76e. Ninjara
77. Steve/Alex
78. Crash Bandicoot/Coco
79. Dante
80. Yuri Lowell & Repede
81. Estelle Bright (just be sure to bring in both Ys and Kiseki OST)
82. Isaac
82e. Felix
83. 2B
84. Doom Guy
85. Monster Hunter

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My version
76: Min-Min
77: Steve
78: Shantae
79: Lugia
80: Adeleine
81: Geno
82: Sylux
83: Midna
84: Knuckles
85: Crash Bandicoot

My chosen echoes would be (if they are echoes of fighters in the base roaster), Yamper and Dixie Kong or (in case they are echoes in the fighter’s pass): Shadow Lugia and Coco Bandicoot

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
  1. Min-Min
  2. Steve
  3. Doom Slayer
  4. Frank West
  5. Geno
  6. Chibi-Robo
  7. Rayman
  8. Sub-Zero
  9. Agent 47
  10. Shadow the Hedgehog

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've posted my list on the Newcomer Speculation thread when it was asked there, but I might as well post it here as well, with my reasons in spoiler tags. I won't include echo fighters because it was tough enough to narrow it down to eight as it is.

1. Min Min
2. Steve
3. Geno
4. Dante
5. Doomguy
6. Bandanna Waddle Dee
7. Impa
8. Elma
9. Ryu Hayabusa
10. Crash Bandicoot

I tried to go with a mix of my most wanted and characters who seemed long overdue for one reason or another. Also, I avoided using characters who are DLC Mii costumes (which are treated as consolation prizes from what I've seen) or assist trophies - as much as I'd want to see Heihachi, Isaac, or Travis Touchdown, those have been treated as barriers to a character's inclusion so far, so I figured I should keep things consistent.

1. Min Min: she's already in the game.

2. Steve: he's already in the game.

3. Geno: my most wanted character; I've wanted to see him in Smash for at least 15 years now, since I recall wanting to see him in Smash before Brawl was announced. Growing up with Super Mario RPG was likely part of it, but he stands out from the rest of the Mario cast in terms of his design and abilities, and due to the legal complications of being a Mario character that's owned by Square-Enix, Smash is basically the only possible chance for him to reappear.

4. Dante: I only got into Devil May Cry in the past few years, but it was inspiring enough that I basically wrote out three movesets for Dante before I was even done with Devil May Cry 4. I've written out a fourth since then because I realized that I should have included Dante's style system in there.

5. Doomguy: I don't play too many first person shooters, but Doom (2016) was a blast from start to finish, and first person shooters seem like a conspicuously absent video game genre in Smash unless you stretch it to count Duck Hunt.

6. Bandanna Waddle Dee: Kirby hasn't gotten any new playable characters in Smash since Brawl, even though games like Star Allies made it clear that there are a ton of possibilities. Plus, a massive amount of the Kirby content in Smash has focused on the four games that Sakurai directed (Dream Land, Adventure, Super Star, Air Ride), when the series has so much more to offer.

7. Impa: much like Kirby, but moreso. Despite being one of Nintendo's flagship franchises, it's been almost twenty years since we last got a new unique playable Zelda character in Smash. (by the time that the DLC is done, it will have been twenty years, unless we get a Zelda character announced in the next two months) Hyrule Warriors provides a massive amount of options for playable characters, and yet many of the popular choices (MIdna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim) are relegated to assist trophies. With Age of Calamity giving Impa a playable role alongside Link, Zelda, and the Champions, and Zelda's 35th anniversary being next year, it seems like a good time to add her and give us a Zelda character who isn't a version of Link, Zelda, or Ganondorf.

8. Elma: Xenoblade's expanded a lot since Smash 4, with a remake of the first game, two new games, and a DLC that basically acts as another game. I haven't played the Torna DLC yet, and between Elma and Rex, I don't find Rex interesting from a story, design, or gameplay perspective. Plus, I'd rather not see Xenoblade Chronicles X be forgotten because it's stuck on the Wii U.

9. Ryu Hayabusa: between Koei-Tecmo being close enough to Nintendo to work on multiple canon Nintendo games (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity and Fire Emblem Three Houses), along with Ryu Hayabusa's long history (stretching back to the NES days), I'd honestly be surprised if he didn't make it in.

10. Crash Bandicoot: I was torn between a Tekken character, Rayman, or Crash, but I didn't want to pick a Tekken character for the sake of having a Tekken character (Heihachi was far and away my first choice, and he was turned into a Mii costume). Between Rayman and Crash, I felt like Crash would be more exciting and his inclusion would be a more momentous occasion. (making Mario vs. Sonic vs. Crash a reality would be like a dream come true for plenty of people)

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
76. Min Min
77. Steve/Alex
78. Sora
79. Dixie Kong
80. Chun-Li
81. Lloyd Irving
82. Phoenix Wright
83. Impa
84. Sakura Shinguji
85. Arle

Couldn't decide, pick any 2 of the following 5 echos

76e. Ninjara
77e. Roxas (Xion as Alph like alt? Possibly Ventus for Sora's alt as well to make it an even four?)
83e. Apollo Justice (Athena Cykes as Alph like alt?)
84e. Sakura Amamiya
85e. Amitie

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
76. Min Min
77. Zombie/Enderman
78. Dixie Kong
79. Shantae
80. Bandana Waddle Dee
81. Rex & Pyra
82. Sora
83. Travis Touchdown
84. Viridi
85. Kazuma Kiryu

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
If echoes can be applied to base game fighters, then...

15ε. Impa
36ε. Dixie Kong (these two would be bonus releases)

76. Min-Min
77. Steve
78. Zero
79. Rex & Pyra (one fighter)
80. Kazuya
81. Toad
82. Bandana Dee
83. Travis Touchdown
84. Karate Joe/Isaac/Andy/any unrepresented Nintendo IP
85. Sora

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Okay, here's my take.

Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra, Kazuya and Sora were the originals, but I'm going to switch up the order a little. Sora needs to be at the end, Min Min being at the start makes sense and well... let me just show you. Also, I'm presuming in my case that the original 6 are basically lock-in picks. New additions are indicated in bold.

Character NameCharacter NumberDescription/ExplainationImage
Min Min​
#76​
Yes, I'm sticking with Min Min. Despite there being other ARMS picks I'd adore to have seen in her place, Min Min's popularity and design overall just make her a really solid inclusion that I think makes sense as a more interesting ARMS rep than either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl (who, as much as I like them, are a bit formulaic.)
Jason & SOPHIA
Some might say that Blaster Master is a weird series to represent in Smash, but I think that especially at this time, the pairing of a boy and his sentient tank would have made a lot of sense.

SunSoft, the owners of the Blaster Master IP, have deep connections to Nintendo - being one of the original third-party licensees to the NES amongst other things. One of the more unusual, but well-recieved, series at the time was one of theirs - being the Blaster Master series.

Furthermore, the Switch had seen surprising success from the recent remakes/retellings of the classic title, specifically in the form of Inti Creates' Blaster Master Zero trilogy. As such, this puts Jason in an unusual situation where, unlike other third-party NES reps, he'd still be a relevant pick at the time of release!
Steve​
#78​
I think Steve is an obvious choice, and having him here would work well. Placing him as a "hype pick" after a semi-anticipated first party and a semi-obscure third party would give him a lot of apparent star power, the likes of which probably won't be reached again until Sora's inclusion.

Minecraft being the powerhouse it is, I think he's just a really solid, obvious inclusion that makes a lot of sense in hindsight.
Tracer
Okay, now this is where I think a lot of feathers are going to be ruffled. Firstly, take note of Tracer's place in this list - her release would have been roughly equivalent to the real world's Pyra/Mythra, specifically early March. This places it shortly before the lawsuit put forth by the state of California, in July of 2021. Whilst I in no way condone the actions of the company or the like, this is just a dumb fun Smash "What If" scenario and I'd like to stress that I'm not trying to make a political statement or anything like that here.

With the lengthy preamble aside, why Tracer? Well, Activision is in an interesting situation where it's a surprisingly important company to represent somehow in Smash. Having a lengthy history, as well as the Blizzard side of it all? It made a lot of sense!

However, it was difficult to think who exactly could have worked from Activision - I mean, "Pitfall Larry" probably wouldn't have sold much, and I know next to nothing about Warcraft or Diablo so I won't touch that side of it all with a 20 foot pole (though maybe Leeroy Jenkins would be fun to see.) However, Tracer's unique design and concept made her pretty appealing - I think she'd fit well into a platform fighter.

Overall, her playstyle is similar to her game - a zippy and rapid one with her effectively using her arsenal and abilities with a high skill ceiling. (It also doesn't hurt that she's a bit more female representation on the roster too!)
rqwgt3tg.png
Sephiroth​
#80​
In a perhaps controversial move, I'm opting to keep Sephiroth here as opposed to taking the opportunity to introduce a different Final Fantasy character. This was a very difficult choice for me - I've been interested in seeing more representation of Final Fantasy as a whole - but the sheer response to his inclusion, the current relevance of FFVII specifically at that time, and the need to reference more of the "series" of Final Fantasy kind of just made him the obvious choice.
Toxtricity
This is probably going to be one of my most "boring" picks. With Gen VIII being in its "height" during this time, I think that the opportunity to introduce a new Pokemon would have been one Nintendo would leap at. The only problem being... which to pick? Gen VIII actually has a lot of pretty cool picks overall, and whilst I came very close to submitting Urshifu (with an Oro-inspired stance-change moveset to boot!), I decided Toxtricity would be a solid pick here.

The main "gimmick" he uses in this case carries over the stance-change idea, between his Amped and Low-Key forms. Overall, his Amped form is faster, but slightly weaker, whilst Low-Key is slightly slower but hits harder. However, the main difference is in their typings - with Low-Key focusing on a Poison-based moveset, whilst Amped focuses on an Electricity-based moveset (unique, of course, from Pikachu and Pichu.)
Pyra/Mythra​
#82​
Whilst I don't know too much about Xenoblade, I know at the very least that XC2 was popular enough to warrant inclusion here. The pretty fun design these two have fits well, and I think their movesets are solid too! Not only this, but representing a modern-ish Switch title is always good - especially if it's not Fire Emblem, apparently (HOES MAD!)
Neku Sakuraba
There's an obvious Square bias in this pass, I'll admit. Even so, Neku felt like too obvious of an inclusion not to add somewhere here. (And, well... I'm slightly biased as a TWEWY fan too.)

With the long-awaited sequel, NEO, having released around this time - as well as an unprescedented anime adaptation of the first game - it seemed to be the first time in a while that TWEWY had been in the spotlight.

Originally a cult-classic DS-exclusive RPG, notable for the use of the hardware in unusual and unique ways during gameplay, the series has had ties with Nintendo ever since... plus, I think he's genuinely a rather fun character. Whilst some may worry that his "psychic teen" gimmick would be too similar to the Mother characters, I believe his unique style (as well as an implementation of his partners) would make him a truly unique and interesting fighter here.
Kazuya​
#84​
Tekken is too big of a series not to represent somehow, and I do think that upon researching a bit into the series myself, the choice of Kazuya - whilst odd - was an inspired one. The use of the Devil Gene in his moveset works well for a Smash character! Whilst I would probably have introduced Sub-Zero or Scorpion before Kazuya personally, I think he's a solid inclusion to the roster.
Sora​
#85​
Need I say more? Okay, I will.

Whilst I don't have much of a personal connection to the Kingdom Hearts series, I do recognise its importance and I absolutely agree that Sora was a brilliant final inclusion. I'll say this much, though just as a random idea - I'd love to have seen some of his various appearances in different worlds as alts (aside from just Timeless River, which is a solid choice as "the one rep of this" but like still.) Notably here, I'd love to have seen his attire from the Grid and his Pirates of the Carribean look. Those are my own biases talking though!

So with that, my new additions are Jason and SOPHIA, Tracer, Toxtricity and Neku Sakuraba. Whilst I think some of these are better than others, I had to ditch a lot of characters I really considered adding at first (most notably Mother's Starman, mostly because of the lack of current relevance.) Also, I'm acting under a sort of stipulation that all of the original picks need to stay (though I'm aware that's not like a rule or anything.) Feel free to provide your thoughts!

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
76. Mythra & Pyra
77. Impa + Paya = alt
78. SPITFIRE / BRAWLER __ ( Dungeon Fighter Online )
79. Sephiroth
80. Kazuya
81. Master Chief
82. Ahri
83. Steve
84. Min-Min
85. Sora

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
76 - Akira Howard
77 - Steve