• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters would you consider to be the tanks in smash?

Dabble Dot

Smash Cadet
Also if you could qualify others with terms like berserker.

I'd say based mostly on appearances.
charizard, bowser, donkey kong
king dedede looks like a tank but i'm sure you can tell me why i'm wrong.

Is it really just the heaviest or is there more to being a tank in smash?

What about in melee?

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Jigglypuff, Kirby, Mewtwo, Fox and Rosalina the best tanks in the game. Not like those wimps that can safely take more damage like Charizard, little mac ( with his armored blows), Ryu (also with an armored strike), Shulk, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong and Bowser, calling them tanks is laughable.

Last edited:

Dabble Dot

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff, Kirby, Mewtwo, Fox and Rosalina the best tanks in the game. Not like those wimps that can safely take more damage like Charizard, little mac ( with his armored blows), Ryu (also with an armored strike), Shulk, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong and Bowser, calling them tanks is laughable.
why do you say that? how is jiggs a tank?

Hydgen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hydgen29
:4jigglypuff: is not a tank.
These are the characters that I believe are tanks:

:?:
:4bowser: :4ganondorf: :4charizard: :4dk: :4dedede: :4cloud: :4littlemac: :4lucario: :4feroy: :4myfriends: :4ryu:

I think all these characters should be defined as tanks. Leave your own opinions on this thread.

Cya :starman:

Last edited:

nonnonuru

Smash Rookie
All of the big characters such as Bowser, Donkey Kong, Charizard, Ganon, and Dedede are pretty much tanks. I'd also include Wii Fit Trainer.

Ad3n

Smash Rookie
:4jigglypuff: is not a tank.
These are the characters that I believe are tanks:

:?:
:4bowser: :4ganondorf: :4charizard: :4dk: :4dedede: :4cloud: :4littlemac: :4lucario: :4feroy: :4myfriends: :4ryu:

I think all these characters should be defined as tanks. Leave your own opinions on this thread.

Cya :starman:
Not the supa fitin robot!?

HerbsnSpices910

Smash Cadet
I consider a tank to be a character that can pack and take a wallop effectively.

Therefore, Smash 4 Tanks are:

:4bowser::4charizard::4cloud::4dk::4ryu::4yoshi:

I have excluded these characters for the following reasons:

:4dedede::4ganondorf::4myfriends:: They live forever and their attacks are strong, sure. Their problem lies with actually landing attacks at all.
:4littlemac::4feroy::4shulk:: Poor recovery = gimp2win.

Last edited:

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
Bowser, DK, Dedede, Charizard and Ganon. I'd classify them as tanks solely by their weight. They are the only 5 characters with weight of or above 110. (I don't really count Shulk's Yellow Art or moves that give armor)
I do think there is a second category of off-tanks or bruisers if you will. Characters such as Samus, Wario, Yoshi, R.O.B. etc. I'd prob classify them as characters between 100-109 weight.
To put in wrestling terms I'd view 110+ as super heavyweights, 100-109 as heavyweight, 99-90 as midweight, 89-80 as lightweight, 79-70 as featherweight, and Puff gets her own weight class as Puffweight bc she's THAT light.
I personally only view the super heavyweights as tanks but since that's only 5 characters I could see people viewing the heavyweights as tanks as well. But since that would include characters like Cloud and Captain Falcon who have speed it's harder to view them as tanks bc most games have tank classes as slow or low mobility champions/characters.

In Melee I'd say Bowser, DK, Samus, Ganon and Yoshi. For similar reasons as Wii U. They have the heaviest weight in that order. There is a gap between those 5 and the rest of the cast as far as weight is concerned. Even though there is also a gap between Bowser/DK and Samus it's impossible to not view Ganon as a tank so I feel obligated to throw Samus, Ganon, and Yoshi in the same grouping as Bowser and DK.

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
It seems easy to define a tank character simply as a character with a high weight. Are there any other (even subtle) characteristics that could define a tank in smash (other, perhaps, than being slow)?

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
It seems easy to define a tank character simply as a character with a high weight. Are there any other (even subtle) characteristics that could define a tank in smash (other, perhaps, than being slow)?
Honestly, probably not. Although having have % dmg moves is also typically characteristic of tank characters. But I don't think dealing high damage is necessary for a character to be considered tanky as tankiness typically refers solely to the defensive abilities.
It might be a gross oversimplification but I'd say weight is the only thing to base it off of but slow speed and high damage output per hit often go hand in hand. It's been sakurai's way of balancing characters with a lot of weight.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, probably not. Although having have % dmg moves is also typically characteristic of tank characters. But I don't think dealing high damage is necessary for a character to be considered tanky as tankiness typically refers solely to the defensive abilities.
It might be a gross oversimplification but I'd say weight is the only thing to base it off of but slow speed and high damage output per hit often go hand in hand. It's been sakurai's way of balancing characters with a lot of weight.
I like the definition of having good defensive abilities. That makes me think of some non-heavyweight characters such as Zelda. Zelda is so annoying to play against

Top Bottom