• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters look like they could be top tier.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Hey guys I know with the title name its obvious that its impossible to predict the meta this early within the games life cycle. But I'm curious to see what others think of certain characters as of right now and to see what you guys think which characters stand a chance at being at the top. What strengths make the character good? What weaknesses make them bad? I'm gonna list a character I think has a chance, let me know why or why not you agree or disagree.

Rosalina & Luma
Okay just from my experience this character seems like a major threat. She has so many things that make her good, for one her Luma seems like an amazing tool to stop approaches or keep the enemy at bay. Along with her forward B the star bits It makes it easy to use Luma from full screen. Another thing that makes her good imo is her down B, any chance you thought you had by zoning/camping her is gone because her down B nullifies projectiles completely (with the exception of certain ones Ex. Robs gyro.) so trying to zone her isn't going to do much. So she's essentially got full stage control with Luma what can you do against this? I feel the major weakness to Rosalina is complete rushdown. Characters like Little Mac and Greninja come to mind. Rosalina seems to be at her weakest state when Luma is away from her, and Little Mac/Greninja have ways of getting past Luma with their forward B. But other than that I don't know what other characters would even have a chance to counter her. Let me know what you guys think.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Hm for me it is a bit early to call of the top tiers, up to now I have seen people do amazing stuff with almost any character.
Rosalina & Luma look strong indeed, especially when Luma edgeguards while Rosalina is in safe distance. In an environment where you can't just block the edge and are more exposed yourself when trying to edgeguard, I think this is a nice advantage she has going for her.
Pac Man comes into mind. I found his Down-B to be very effective against opponents who try to juggle you, and it can be used as a projectile. Recovery seems very versatile and I don't see strong disadvantages in him.
Little Mac is weird, at least in 1vs1 for glory. In case he takes your first stock there is the constant threat of him pulling off his K.O. move shortly after you respawned and there's your 2:0.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Hm for me it is a bit early to call of the top tiers, up to now I have seen people do amazing stuff with almost any character.
Rosalina & Luma look strong indeed, especially when Luma edgeguards while Rosalina is in safe distance. In an environment where you can't just block the edge and are more exposed yourself when trying to edgeguard, I think this is a nice advantage she has going for her.
Pac Man comes into mind. I found his Down-B to be very effective against opponents who try to juggle you, and it can be used as a projectile. Recovery seems very versatile and I don't see strong disadvantages in him.
Little Mac is weird, at least in 1vs1 for glory. In case he takes your first stock there is the constant threat of him pulling off his K.O. move shortly after you respawned and there's your 2:0.
Yes like I said in my first post I'm am very aware that It's literally impossible to predict the meta and top tiers atm. But back to the discussion, that's a good point Rosalina can edgeguard with little to no risk. Shes an insane character for sure.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
havent played a lot but sheik does look really strong imo. amazing ariels, decent killing potential, very fast, good combo potential, good zoning potential, ok recovery. Nothing seems bad about sheik and a lot of things are very strong no doubt.

Mithrilangel

Smash Rookie
:4sheik: is strong on pro level
:4zss: is strong on any level
:4greninja: is good as well just like sheik
:4bowser: kills ridiculously early and is fast as fudge for the heaviest character
:rosalina: that double char mechanic is strong. But she can die really early because she is a lightweight.
and :4yoshi: is super fast and combo oriented for a medium weight.

Watching pro level streams and listening to their opinions then playing myself hundreds of online games I expect these characters to form the top and high tier. Online I have observed almost all the characters I listed to be extremely popular (:4zss: being number 1) except for :4sheik: and :4greninja:. These characters are the meta with the addition of few campy characters such as :4tlink: and :4duckhunt:. :4littlemac: is very popular as well but I don't think he will be placed at top 2 Tiers.

Some characters especially the newcomers might make a surprise and come up top in the future. Not many people understand them fully yet. I wouldn't be too surprised if :4wiifit:, :4shulk:, :4robinf: contest the top tiers in the future.

Edit: Oh the guy's picture below me reminded me of :4ness:. He might place top tier in USA just because of FOW. (And of course is a strong character)

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Little Mac is certainly a force to be reckoned with, at least as far as For Glory is concerned.

I am yet to face a Rosaluma though, but I heard terrifying stories of people getting rekt against Rosaluma players. :smash:

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Little Mac is certainly a force to be reckoned with, at least as far as For Glory is concerned.

I am yet to face a Rosaluma though, but I heard terrifying stories of people getting rekt against Rosaluma players. :smash:
There is so much truth to that statement playing against a good Rosalina is almost equivalent to playing spectator mode lol.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Rosalina and Mac are the big ones, primarily because of move priority. Mac makes sense since he has almost no air capability that he punches through most attacks, why does rosalina do the same? i can never hit her first because she has long reach with an attack that breaks through even wario's bike....not much does that

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Lol. Everyone is mentioning the newcomers, but little is being said about the veterans, where many of them are being buffed and definitely a threat. Jigglypuff? At least mid tier. Pit? Oh yeah. Falcon? Must I even answer that?
Veterans are looking really god this time around. at least, early on.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Sheik and doing quite well.

So it looks like :4bowser: will be up there with :4sheik: maybe :4mario: since they all seem to be able to grab-spam me to death. :4duckhunt:being insanely campy with a strong CQC moveset is a good contender as well. Some people think :4diddy:is pretty strong and I'm inclined to agree. So far that's all I'm going to say is going to be in the A-S tier

IMHO IMHO IMHO don't hurt me :substitute:

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Little Mac seems strong but he has a really tough time against opponents who can stay in the air and zone him like Peach, I see him dropping after people realise how little he can do. Diddy is looking really strong in my opinion. His Rocketbarrel can zoom in all sorts of directions and can recover very safely, it's unpredictable. His Uair is his best kill move now and you can combo into it with his Nair and down throw. Bananas got nerfed a lot but they're still useful. I can see Diddy in the top 15 at least.

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
From what I've seen so far, Shiek, Zero Suit Sammus, and Little Mac are the biggest pains for me. However, not to say they will be top tier, but right now they are hard for me to play against. I usually play Bowser Jr (or one of the Koopalings) or Diddy Kong and they are rough. Do-able, but rough.

redreflect

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-2415-2514
I'm sure Little Mac can be a beast if played properly (I have tried but suck with him), he is just so fast and strong. I haven't run into a Rosalina & Luma yet, so I can't comment on her. I think Diddy Kong is great too.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I can see Marth being up there with Sheik and Zero Suit Samus.

I've yet to see Rosalina and Luma. Pac-Man is deadly. *shivers*

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Pacman too does seem very good. He has so many options and his attacks have range, damage and come out pretty quick. His key is amazing for edgeguarding.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
I did run into a Rosaluma.
If she's on the Tomodachi Life stage you shouldn't have trouble.
Anywhere else your dead.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
:rosalina:and :4littlemac: if played correctly are also incredibly strong.

The problem with this tier list is that I think it might only have like 3 tiers, you know? Really good, good, and not so good.

I played about 7 games with a Little Mac main, and at 900k GSP I think I'm a decent player, but I just could not beat him. i got him to 170 on his last stock and somehow he managed to just wait out a KO punch and win. As bad as his recovery is, he's pretty darn heavy. The fact that that punch goes through shield is kind of ****ed up.

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
Greninja is also likely to stay one of the better characters., he's basically shiek, but his up b even more multipurpose. That wave push though.I see robin being much better on the wiiu than 3ds due to his/her levin. pacmans good and rosalina is ridiculous. Everyone seems to be more or less equal. Ness would be mid or high mid in tournys but sucks online if there is any lag.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Shulk, ffs. Shulk's Counter and ridiculously long range is so annoying to play against. Also translating that Kanji might have helped, you now.

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
The following I believe are really good: :4bowser::4greninja::4kirby::4sheik::rosalina::4zss:
The following I think got really buffed and are slightly below the above or mid tier (If they were REALLY bad in Brawl): :4falcon::4jigglypuff::4link::4mario:
The following I think are pretty good but not S-Tier: :4bowserjr::4diddy::4lucario::4megaman::4pikachu::4robinm::4robinf::4duckhunt:
The following I think are slightly below mid tier to really bad: :4littlemac::4villager::4villagerf:
The following got really nerfed: :4falco::4olimar:

Note: The above is not in an exact order (i.e. I don't think that Bowser is better than Greninja)
Note 2 (for those who saw my original post): I think Marth isn't as nerfed as the others but somewhat nerfed from melee but buffed from brawl and realized the same can be said for Jiggs though from melee to ssb4 jiggs was a bit more nerfed so I really think marth is better than most say but decided to remove him from the subject he was in.

Last edited:

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Shulk, ffs. Shulk's Counter and ridiculously long range is so annoying to play against. Also translating that Kanji might have helped, you now.
I'm really feeling it. Nah to be real I'm iffy on Shulk, he's got great range and Vision is Hilariously good but I think its important to find out how people will handle his spacing.

Sheik for sure is up there. I'd say Sheik, Falco and Rosalina right now really stand out. A couple others do as well but I think that's from a Shulk perspective. Sheik is like a more annoying less telegraphed Greninja....and Greninja already lacks telegraphs.

I disagree with the above bro about Kirby. His tilts are amazing but his range is ass. This game is Full of long range melee, campers, and ridiculous air games. If you aren't one of those you are "break your face on the ground" but Kirby didn't come off like any of those to me. Range is too short.

Honestly think Bowser is mad overrated as a Shulk player. If you buster Vision almost anything Bowser does you will do stupid amounts of damage. Monado Shield gives huge amounts of survivability. Only thing I can say is Monado Smash is a death trap.
Decided to whip out the ol brawl Yoshi and was sitting on Bowsers.

Speaking of which... Yoshi is damn good possibly Sheik level. I faced one and I believe I was legit combo'd at one point but my DI could be off

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
The following I believe are really good: :4bowser::4greninja::4kirby::4sheik::rosalina::4zss:
The following I think got really buffed and are slightly below the above or mid tier (If they were REALLY bad in Brawl): :4falcon::4jigglypuff::4link::4mario:
The following I think are pretty good but not S-Tier: :4bowserjr::4diddy::4lucario::4megaman::4pikachu::4robinm::4robinf::4duckhunt:
The following I think are slightly below mid tier to really bad: :4littlemac::4villager::4villagerf:
The following got really nerfed: :4falco::4marth::4olimar:

Note: The above is not in an exact order (i.e. I don't think that Bowser is better than Greninja)
I like that all the characters you put in mid tier are projectile character or rather, sort of campy and punishy. What I mean is, Those midtier characters give those top tier characters hell. Not as much rosalina, but whatevs.

Last edited:

Nerf Herder EX

Smash Rookie
Yoshi is pretty good. Jab into Up Smash is legit and his Up Air is pretty strong too.

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to go Ahead and sa olimar is looking like the worst. I haven't gone against a good one yet and there doesnt seem like much potential there

oGr33n

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3050-7615-9118
Little Mac is so damn powerful in For Glory.
If you read really well (and if the lag doesn't get in the way), one string could bring the opponent from 0-80%
Not to mention the ko punch.....its so satisfying when one read can kill at 30%....it completely destroys the opponents morale.
So many times, I end up self-destructing (side-b off ledge...everyone should know what I'm tlaking about :p) but I'm able to get a good string in to take out the opponents first stock, then end up laying a great ko punch for the second.

This one player I noted though, who was using Rosalina completely wrecked me in these two games we played. I was shocked because usually after the first game, I would have an idea of how to approach her but the 2nd was still a complete loss, due to the fact that I STILL couldn't figure out how to approach her w/ Little Mac.

Last edited:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Oh i forgot Bowser. Seriously, hes nuts if you use him right. Racks up damage quickly then just needs to land pretty much ANY of his smashes and GG at ~60% lol and takes forever to knock down himself.
His speed is the only drawback to him, which isnt that big of a deal in this one. I used him alot in Brawl and loved him then, now hes just WTF worthy lol

warionumbah2

Smash Master
i body someone using one of my mains then they get butthurt and switch to sheik.

i can beat sheik but it'll cost my hands(cramps) she's top tier her combo's are too easy to exicute such as throw into up air over and over...

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
i body someone using one of my mains then they get butthurt and switch to sheik.

i can beat sheik but it'll cost my hands(cramps) she's top tier her combo's are too easy to exicute such as throw into up air over and over...

Sheik is my main, so when I drop a game or two I'll switch to her. She's combo heavy, but you can DI really hard in this game, so it shouldn't matter, plus she's super light... so she's pretty good but not perfect. Much like a lot of the characters in sm4sh.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sheik is my main, so when I drop a game or two I'll switch to her. She's combo heavy, but you can DI really hard in this game, so it shouldn't matter, plus she's super light... so she's pretty good but not perfect. Much like a lot of the characters in sm4sh.
She may be light but she's fast as hell and her being able to string Uair constantly is annoying.

She's defo top tier and the 'Fox' of FD like it or not.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
These characters aren't in any order, but I think they'll be above average if not close to top tier: :4sonic: :4lucario: :4greninja:.

Sonic's my main so there's a bit of bias there (but he is a crap-ton better).

Greninja and Lucario are my other two best characters at the moment (especially Greninja, like holy crap); I think they'll be up there.

I haven't played as Shiek yet, but I gotta feeling she'll also be close.

I'm also pretty sure the spacies aren't gonna be as high tier as P:M/Melee Q_Q

So are we gonna call it "All Greninja/Shiek, no items, FD", now?

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I feel like captain falcon is on par with shiek and greninja. He got buffed up pretty good. If not equal to them tierwise, he's definitely a really good match up for them. That's the thing about smash 4 all the characters seem to go together very well. Not every character is "balanced" but I think the game as a whole is and that's what that term means anyway/

Last edited:

pikadrewuniverse

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4270-1564-7855
from what ive seen little mac is really good but then you just use duck hunt and troll him

Jgod

Smash Cadet
If we use more then Omega stages then Mac won't be as threatening

Top Bottom