• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters have you completed 9.0 Classic with?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I have a feeling that heavies have a really big advantage in classic mode, but I main heavies, so who have you completed classic mode on 9.0 difficulty with?

For me,
:4dedede: Self proclaimed king of dreamland, and now, final destination
:4bowser: Bowser bombs away!
:4myfriends: Did it for my friends
:4lucario: Guided by the aura
:4charizard: Flare blitzing my way to victory
:4ganondorf: Didn't even use the sword

All heavies except for lucario, but he has the aura, so they all benefit from being able to take a lot of damage and using powerful attacks. How about you?

Edit: I have now completed classic 9.0 with
:4jigglypuff: Why touch the ground?
So I guess even the lightest character in the game can beat 9.0, but with focus on evasion rather than tanking.

More edits:
:4dk: The dong train has no brakes!
:4littlemac: Going cliff jumping and taking master core with me!
:4miibrawl: Waluigi is in this game what are you talking about?
:4kirby: All I did was say "Hiiiiii" to master hand (a lot)! Why is he attacking me?
:4link: No words, just bombs, boomerangs, bows, and a lot of "HYAA!"

Last edited:

Ryoth

Smash Rookie
:4falcon::4myfriends::4littlemac::4lucina::4luigi::4miisword::4sheik:
I used one 'critical' and two 'attack' customs items.

edit -
:4greninja::4ganondorf::4zss::4bowser::4charizard::4diddy::4dk::4duckhunt::4jigglypuff::4miibrawl::4rob::4robinm::4ryu::4zelda:

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I've only completed 9.0 with a customless Mega Man, who is arguably one of my best characters. I was really close to beating 9.0 with Shulk, like two or three times, but I'd always end up getting nervous and messing up, haha.

Last edited:

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I've actually only beaten 9.0 Classic on Wii U as no-customs :4falcon:

I pretty much stopped playing the 3DS version after the Wii U version came out, but I'm giving the 3DS version another look now, and it's finally time to clear 9.0 on 3DS. Again, I'm doing it as no customs :4falcon:

Gotten to the Hands a number of times, but just haven't quite pulled through. Should only take a couple more tries, I think.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
King Dedede with customs only. Never again.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I did it without using customs as Rosalina. Took me a few tries but I still got the job done.

TriTails

Smash Lord
:4luigi:. No customs or equipment.

How did I do it?
Pre-boss battles: Grab. Down throw. MASH RANDOM BUTTONS.
Fighting Mii Team: Cyclone for the win.
Master/Crazy Hand/Master Core: Spam aerials.

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
I used a Mii Gunner to complete 9.0, I used a healing one, Defense one and attack one for my equipment, My Attacks? Charge Gun, Stealth Burst, Cannon Uppercut And That Obsorbing One, Reflecter Works to but It Doesn't give you the health and can sometimes miss.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Update: Finally knocked it out with vanilla:4falcon:after a few more tries!

Next up will probably be :4luigi:if I'm in the mood to do another 9.0 run. For now, I'm just working on beating it with everyone.

Since I got into competitive Smash, I forgot what it was like to be a kid and just play the single player modes over and over. It's kind of nice and nostalgic. :)

Nah

Smash Champion
Only with a non-custom :4robinf: once. Took a while to actually beat it. Don't really care to do it again except for doing it once more on the Wii U version whenever I get that.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Only with a non-custom :4robinf: once. Took a while to actually beat it. Don't really care to do it again except for doing it once more on the Wii U version whenever I get that.
Master Fortress is pretty satisfying to beat, so definitely look forward to that. I thought it was a lot of fun.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Ok, so I finally beat the classic mode with a non-heavy character. Actually, the lightest character in the game! A jigglypuff with speedy equipment and certain customs proved to be very effective, more so than some of the characters I have already completed it with! I will update the OP

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I did it with Ike on the 3DS version and Robin on the Wii U version.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Dedede, Dr. Mario, Kirby, Mii Brawler, PAC-MAN and Little Mac. :4pacman:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Nobody.

Is it really that easy for you guys?
Not at all. It took me a long time to complete it with just one character, which is when you have basically been hit by master core's attacks so many times that you know every single one. After you beat it with one character though, it is much easier to beat it with more since you already know the attacks.

Kooky Koopa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Koopa1989
3DS FC
4184-2976-0132
Bowser and Little Mac. Since reinstalling Smash 3DS cause of a software issue, I've really come to loving Classic Mode all over again. Hope to beat it with Ganon and maybe Wario soon.

Lord Retardus

Smash Cadet
Ness is hilarious in Classic. Master Edges, previously the most terrifying form of Master Core, has half its moveset rendered useless by PSI Magnet which heals Ness. And f-air spam is great, as well as PK Flash actually being usable during the core's form transitions. Master Core's really the only part of Classic I find challenging, so Ness makes it an easy clear.

jayelldee02

Smash Rookie
So far, I've only done it with a customized Ganondorf due to desperation of clearing the challenge. I haven't tried 9.0 again after clearing the challenge, but I might do it again with another character.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I cleared 9.0 with the entire cast back in March. The DLC characters were later done within 24 hours of purchasing them. Sometime I'll make another video when I improve all my scores.

As posted in various other threads, the trick that made it easy for me was equipping every single fighter with the following:

1 Auto Heal (preferably Brawn Badge, though occasionally Protection Badge) and
2 strongest character-specific generic defensive equipment

With this setup, I always have triple-digit defense, non-negative offense, and a negative speed, which generally isn't an issue for Classic mode. My recommendation in general is to start with heavy characters since they last longer in the final battles, then gradually work your way through the lighter characters. Unfortunately there is no milestone or reward of any kind for clearing 9.0 with everyone, other than the nice equipment and gold you get each time, and the satisfaction of doing so.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I cleared 9.0 with the entire cast back in March. The DLC characters were later done within 24 hours of purchasing them. Sometime I'll make another video when I improve all my scores.

As posted in various other threads, the trick that made it easy for me was equipping every single fighter with the following:

With this setup, I always have triple-digit defense, non-negative offense, and a negative speed, which generally isn't an issue for Classic mode. My recommendation in general is to start with heavy characters since they last longer in the final battles, then gradually work your way through the lighter characters. Unfortunately there is no milestone or reward of any kind for clearing 9.0 with everyone, other than the nice equipment and gold you get each time, and the satisfaction of doing so.
Wow! Now that is impressive! Also, that shows where I was wrong. I always thought that attack was the most important stat, so that I could KO bosses quickly, and just memorize their attack patterns. I haven't done anything with every member of the cast though. With over 50 characters, its a lot of work! I am amazed you did that!

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Wow! Now that is impressive! Also, that shows where I was wrong. I always thought that attack was the most important stat, so that I could KO bosses quickly, and just memorize their attack patterns. I haven't done anything with every member of the cast though. With over 50 characters, its a lot of work! I am amazed you did that!
Thanks. I wouldn't necessarily completely rule out the high offense approach since some others have been successful in using it for some of the 9.0 challenges. I experimented with that approach early on, but found it too risky for my tastes, especially since one mistake against the final bosses can be too costly. The high defense approach mainly sacrifices speed, but fortunately there is generally ample time to get through Master Fortress despite the speed penalty. I even cleared the Marth 12-minute challenge with the same high-defense, low-speed approach and I'm not a Marth main. I just don't know how close I was since there is no overall in-game timer though.

In the end, go with whichever approach you are most comfortable with, whether it is high defense, high offense, or even a compromise somewhere in between the two.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Wow, there's some really good tips in this thread.
Did it multiplayer, full defense equipment, :4ganondorf:+:4charizard:(me).

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I set a goal to beat classic with all characters... certainly not going to do that with a 9.0 goal but... I was/am trying to maximize customs unlocked so that i 1st priority even if it means going into an 8 player match, or a lousy stage.

Regardless of character, usually I can get through hands, and giant with minimal issues. (though there are times the hands wombo me, or I miss dodge, and get set down asleep and killed by the rising shiny platforms.) I am not saying I flawless them, but at high difficulties Beast, Blades, and freaking stupid Fortress make my life very hard.

No customs:
:4ness: was my first success. I was a Lucas main in brawl so enough transferred when i reached him going through the list. I found him to be the best match up against Master Cores... at least for me. PK Fire is great against beast... quick, safe distance and multiple hits allowed me to dodge much more effectively. Being able to absorb blades' energy balls helped as well. Was a lot more ready for fortress... and pk thunder to force the 2nd spawn on the 2nd and 4th core, saved some jumping.

:4falcon:: He is my soon to be former main... so I know my way around him enough where I pulled it off.

Eventually, I am sure I will add to this list... but that isn't a major goal of mine.

mario15

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylemshipley
3DS FC
3351-4555-2812

That's insane! You must have nerves of steel! Beating it with just one character is tough enough, but the entire cast? I don't think Masihiro Sakurai even expected anyone to beat 9.0 with every character, mind you, this is the same man that put a 1,000,000 vs. matches milestone in the game. You sir, have my respect, I'd hate to run into you in a dark alley in Smash!

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I am trying to do one classic clear a week maybe two. Once with a character of my choice and another with whomever has the lowest difficulty for their best clear.

In the latter category, pulled it off with no customs :4peach:. Surprised me that I pulled it off, sense screwed up and got my shield broken vs master giant, followed by the push move which sent me helplessly to my death.

She is a good match up against fortress though... I still hate it but don't struggle as much as I used to with that stupid section.

I had forgotten i did it with :4luigi:once, again no customs.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

Pacing it out is key. When I had cleared my 140th challenge without using any hammers back in January, I had only cleared Solo Classic 9.0 with a handful of characters, including Wario, DK, Marth, and perhaps another character or two. It took me nearly two months to clear Solo Classic 9.0 with the rest of the cast. With determination, perseverance, and preferably good equipment, you'll have it cleared with everyone.

That's insane! You must have nerves of steel! Beating it with just one character is tough enough, but the entire cast? I don't think Masihiro Sakurai even expected anyone to beat 9.0 with every character, mind you, this is the same man that put a 1,000,000 vs. matches milestone in the game. You sir, have my respect, I'd hate to run into you in a dark alley in Smash!
Thanks. The input lag online plus the lack of local human players are the primary reasons why my focus has been almost exclusively on solo modes offline. The right combination of custom equipment makes a huge difference in this game, so that 9.0 becomes natural after a while. The biggest test of nerves in this game for me now is Crazy Orders. Unlike Solo Classic 9.0, I fail my Crazy Orders runs more often than I succeed, mostly due to always trying to push it too far. I still to this day have not successfully completed 99 turns with anyone yet, but that is my next goal, eventually....

Edit: This recent example in Crazy Orders is where I nearly failed due to clock management.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So I'm looking around to see if there's a thread talking about the Mii Fighters and what moves kill them and what don't and I come across this thread. Give it a look and I see 1 person who claims with proof to have beaten Classic 9.0 with all characters but also mentions using equipment.

I feel like such a show off for saying this but I've done the same thing but without customs or equipment:
There's no real way to prove that I did it without equipment or customs and truth be told, my first time ever completing Classic 9.0 was with customs Ganondorf but without equipment. There's also no way to prove that I used all 3 Miis but I used Guest size 1111 for all 3 of them.

Hardest character for me was ironically my main Meta Knight. His damage output is so bad and a lot of his attacks are multihitting which is awful when fighting Master Hand/Giant/Beast/Edge since each hit freezes you for a brief moment but doesn't prevent the boss from attacking. The trek up to that point was usually easy since the ai is easy to exploit and item rng can be nice at times. Even managed to do it without losing a stock sometimes (which was actually the original plan but I eventually ditched that plan). I know I did it without losing a stock with Samus and Doc unintentionally. The fortress isn't that bad since it's the same thing every time and the enemies are easy to exploit. Mind you, I did this a while ago so the patch changes might make this more difficult, namely the universal shield change.

Anyways, there's me showing off and proving I'm a masochist. Had thoughts of doing the same thing but on All-Star but ditched that idea cuz that mode is awful. Back to searching for Mii Fighter stuff~

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
So I'm looking around to see if there's a thread talking about the Mii Fighters and what moves kill them and what don't and I come across this thread. Give it a look and I see 1 person who claims with proof to have beaten Classic 9.0 with all characters but also mentions using equipment.

I feel like such a show off for saying this but I've done the same thing but without customs or equipment:
There's no real way to prove that I did it without equipment or customs and truth be told, my first time ever completing Classic 9.0 was with customs Ganondorf but without equipment. There's also no way to prove that I used all 3 Miis but I used Guest size 1111 for all 3 of them.

Hardest character for me was ironically my main Meta Knight. His damage output is so bad and a lot of his attacks are multihitting which is awful when fighting Master Hand/Giant/Beast/Edge since each hit freezes you for a brief moment but doesn't prevent the boss from attacking. The trek up to that point was usually easy since the ai is easy to exploit and item rng can be nice at times. Even managed to do it without losing a stock sometimes (which was actually the original plan but I eventually ditched that plan). I know I did it without losing a stock with Samus and Doc unintentionally. The fortress isn't that bad since it's the same thing every time and the enemies are easy to exploit. Mind you, I did this a while ago so the patch changes might make this more difficult, namely the universal shield change.

Anyways, there's me showing off and proving I'm a masochist. Had thoughts of doing the same thing but on All-Star but ditched that idea cuz that mode is awful. Back to searching for Mii Fighter stuff~
:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
[...] There's also no way to prove that I used all 3 Miis but I used Guest size 1111 for all 3 of them. [...]
Actually, there is a way to prove that each type of Mii fighter cleared 9.0 by selecting any brawler, hitting Start, then noticing the brawler icon at the 9.0 mark. Back out and rinse and repeat for the other two types. I just didn't see the need to make my video extra long by doing this for every character when I did this back in March.

As for clearing 9.0 without customs with every character, I full-heartedly agree that lighter characters are toughest to do this way (with possibly the exception of Ness since he can heal during the sword battle.) Perhaps one of these days I'll attempt every character without customs, but I didn't keep very good track of which ones I did that way and which I used customs with. I just know that Wario and DK were my first successful characters without customs, and there were others I succeeded with, but the pay-to-play factor was the primary reason I generally went with customs on (except for challenges that required them to be off.) But then again, gold shouldn't be a factor for me now that I have well over 20 million in reserve from playing Crazy Orders to death.

Did you manually keep track by external means, or did you simply attempt each without customs before ever considering customs? What I did was allocated custom fighter slot #1 for every character for Classic mode, and named each one Classic#.# based on which difficulty each fighter completed. Perhaps I'll tweak that method to indicate which fighters I complete without customs in the future.

You really should try All-Star on Hard with everyone. If you do that, I'll tackle 9.0 customless with everyone (or maybe I'll just attempt it anyway.) There are plenty of stage gimmicks you can take advantage of in All-Star, so I personally found that to be easier than Classic 9.0 with everyone (plus it was in my completionist nature to clear every challenge without resorting to a single hammer.) Or if you get bored with All-Star, see how far you can go in Crazy Orders with everyone. Or you can even tackle all the two-player Event Matches by yourself (I cleared all on Easy, the vast majority on Hard, but just a small handful needed assistance of a second human on Hard.) The fun only just begins after the challenge wall is long since conquered....

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Actually, there is a way to prove that each type of Mii fighter cleared 9.0 by selecting any brawler, hitting Start, then noticing the brawler icon at the 9.0 mark. Back out and rinse and repeat for the other two types. I just didn't see the need to make my video extra long by doing this for every character when I did this back in March.

As for clearing 9.0 without customs with every character, I full-heartedly agree that lighter characters are toughest to do this way (with possibly the exception of Ness since he can heal during the sword battle.) Perhaps one of these days I'll attempt every character without customs, but I didn't keep very good track of which ones I did that way and which I used customs with. I just know that Wario and DK were my first successful characters without customs, and there were others I succeeded with, but the pay-to-play factor was the primary reason I generally went with customs on (except for challenges that required them to be off.) But then again, gold shouldn't be a factor for me now that I have well over 20 million in reserve from playing Crazy Orders to death.

Did you manually keep track by external means, or did you simply attempt each without customs before ever considering customs? What I did was allocated custom fighter slot #1 for every character for Classic mode, and named each one Classic#.# based on which difficulty each fighter completed. Perhaps I'll tweak that method to indicate which fighters I complete without customs in the future.

You really should try All-Star on Hard with everyone. If you do that, I'll tackle 9.0 customless with everyone (or maybe I'll just attempt it anyway.) There are plenty of stage gimmicks you can take advantage of in All-Star, so I personally found that to be easier than Classic 9.0 with everyone (plus it was in my completionist nature to clear every challenge without resorting to a single hammer.) Or if you get bored with All-Star, see how far you can go in Crazy Orders with everyone. Or you can even tackle all the two-player Event Matches by yourself (I cleared all on Easy, the vast majority on Hard, but just a small handful needed assistance of a second human on Hard.) The fun only just begins after the challenge wall is long since conquered....
I first tried Classic 9.0 with customless Ganondorf, found it too difficult and went with Warlock Blade, Dark Fists and Warlock Dropkick. Never really considered equipment. Afterwards I tried to find ways to have fun with the single player options Sm4sh has to offer and found some sick sort of enjoyment doing Classic 9.0. The fact that I did it with every character without customs or equipment showed mostly to myself that I have a basic understanding of each character but moreso that I know how to exploit flaws of the AI, make use of overpowering stage elements and get lucky with item rng.

The hardest part was enduring the entire Master fight, namely Beast and Edges. Learning the patterns of 5~ bosses at their fastest and strongest and being able to defeat them within a time limit was really difficult for some characters like Meta Knight and lightweights in general as you said.

My method for knowing if I completed Classic 9.0 with a customless character or not was simple since only really Ganon and I think Bowser and D3 had done it with customs and maybe equipment for the latter two, don't entirely recall. After that, I just did customless, equipmentless runs of 9.0 with all characters until I got it. The game kept track for me since it shows the highest difficulty a character has completed when you hover the cursor over them.

I've managed to do all single player events on hard mode and get the flag requirement for them too and my cousin and I have done all of the co-op event matches on hard except for the final one.

I tried doing All-Star on Hard with all characters but I found it too much of a pain with certain characters, specifically recalling Villager. Classic at least allowed me to weigh my options. I could choose my next match knowing who I'd be fighting, where I'd be fighting and how many cpus I'd be fighting plus it was often a FFA so the ai could assist me by damaging itself. In All-Star the stages are randomly selected from a select few for each match and it's always you vs all of them without any team attack iirc. All-Star also lacks numerous stock and has limited healing items so if you take a lot of damage early on, you may as well restart. Ultimately, I just find All-Star less fun than Classic.

As for Crazy Orders, that challenge where you get to turn 20 with Mario made me never want to touch the mode again. I remember looking up online strategies for how to do it and a lot of them suggest equipment but I sold all of mine at the time so I somehow did it without equipment. Don't recall if I used customs though.

I can see myself attempting all co-op events alone but first I wanna beat that last one with my cousin. Our current strategy is to use Ike and Meta Knight since Ike's usmash covers a large area including the Battlefield platforms, does a good chunk of damage and kills early and Mach Tornado from my experience, mess with the ai hard. Heck, I recently did all of the solo events where you choose your character on hard specifically with MK without losing a stock and nado was how I got through most of it.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
^

I really wish the game had a built-in mechanism for showing which scores and accomplishments were achieved while keeping customs turned off. That plus my lack of capture card and 10-minute youtube limit are the biggest hurdles preventing me from jumping into going customless 9.0 with the entire cast. Sure, it would be a good personal achievement, but the lack of easy way to prove it was done, as you have indicated, is what holds me back for now.

As for All-Star, Villager is actually one the easiest to use there. Just spam the tree near the edge of any stage, chop once, and wait for the CPUs to come to you. They always fall for it eventually, so just force them to play on your terms.

For Crazy Orders, the combination of First Striker, Home-Run Bat, and Quick Batter will easily help you triple your scores (or more) compared to going without equipment. Taking Mario to 20 turns without customs is indeed a good challenge though.

For the final co-op Event Match on Hard, I set both of my characters to the same custom Bowser, so that they could both spam the fireball shot while Auto-Heal kept them both alive. Usually I'd have my toe on the B button on one controller, so that one Bowser parked close to the edge of the stage (but not quite) and provide cover for the other Bowser that I was mostly controlling. Anytime the CPUs broke my defenses, I'd pause, and then swap duties. It took over 20 minutes to complete this way, but I had the satisfaction of clearing it on Hard by myself, and still having both of my players live to see the end. It is slow, but effective.

Top Bottom