• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters do you wish got into Ultimate?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Title explains it pretty much. List characters you wish would have gotten into the game whether base or DLC and exactly why?

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I honestly lowkey wish we got a Gen 8 pokemon in DLC. Not one of the starters, but someone cool like Toxtricity or Zacian. It's gonna feel super weird in the next game when we get a Gen 8 pokemon years and years after Sword and Shield dropped.
And in terms of who I actually wanted, I think having either a second Mega Man character or a second Sonic character as Pass 9 or 10 would've been awesome.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Impa, or any Legend of Zelda character. (I'll even take Tingle at this point) It seems weird that it's been twenty years (more by the time that the next Smash game) since we got a new unique Zelda character in Smash.

There are plenty of characters that I'd want to see - Geno, Dante, Doomguy, Travis Touchdown, Dixie Kong, etc. - but it feels like we need to have a new Zelda character at this point. (imagine if we went twenty years without getting a new Donkey Kong character, or a new Pokemon; a new Pokemon might not be the perfect comparison, but it seems weird that one of Nintendo's big flagship franchises has gone two decades with the only new content on the roster being a Link clone that's mainly different from Young Link in terms of visuals, and aesthetic changes for the cast to make them reference different games)

Plus, games like Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity have shown us that tons of Zelda characters beyond Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf have a lot of potential for movesets. (they made a boat a playable character, for crying out loud - I find it hard to believe that they could do that, but the Smash development team has no idea how to make Midna, Impa, Skull Kid, etc. playable)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Impa, or any Legend of Zelda character. (I'll even take Tingle at this point) It seems weird that it's been twenty years (more by the time that the next Smash game) since we got a new unique Zelda character in Smash.

There are plenty of characters that I'd want to see - Geno, Dante, Doomguy, Travis Touchdown, Dixie Kong, etc. - but it feels like we need to have a new Zelda character at this point. (imagine if we went twenty years without getting a new Donkey Kong character, or a new Pokemon; a new Pokemon might not be the perfect comparison, but it seems weird that one of Nintendo's big flagship franchises has gone two decades with the only new content on the roster being a Link clone that's mainly different from Young Link in terms of visuals, and aesthetic changes for the cast to make them reference different games)
The problem is that no Zelda character is as prominent as Link, Zelda, and Ganon. The series revolves around those three, and any other character is either a recurring secondary or a one-shot main character who won't appear outside their game. It makes it hard to justify a fully new character from that series.

Next you or someone will say, "Fire Emblem," to which I'll say that series revolves around its one-shots, while Zelda revolves around its main trio.

Like I said in another thread, having more characters does not mean the franchise is more important; it really means that franchise has more to give in terms of characters.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
Ahri __ ( League of Legends ) via Riot Games & Tencent __ She would really excite me for _ 1V1s _ for the first time ever

Matoi / other mage __ ( Phantasy Star Online 2 ) via Sega __ High Risk High Reward Mage_ sign me up

Impa__( Legend Of Zelda )__ Age of Calamity __style via Nintendo __ Would play like Naruto __ nuff said.

Tabuu _ ( Super Smash Bros. ) via HAL & Nintendo __ IMHO__ most important video game villain of all time

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Cranky Kong
Decidueye
Porky
Scorpion
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman

Cranky Kong and Porky would have been refreshing and sensible 1st party picks. Decidueye had neat fan want so he was kinda neglected. It seems Ultimate will be hit or miss for Rayman, being already potentially neglected in Smash 4. I believe Scorpion deserves to be in and Crash would complete the representing history as being one of Mario's rivals.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
To be honest, I wish we'd gotten more base roster picks, given that there's actually quite a lot of characters that probably wouldn't work as DLC, but could work quite well as a base roster pick. For instance:

1. A "weird" retro rep. Yes, I get that Simon technically counts, but here I mean more like your Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, Pit, Duck Hunt. I think there's still a ton of potential in characters like, perhaps, Excitebike Racer, Mach Rider, F-Type, Sukapon, and the list goes on.

2. Cool "promotional" picks, but with lots of love. For this, Snip and Clip from Snipperclips springs to mind - but I imagine other weird picks could have worked just as well (for instance, I think ARMS as main roster would have worked much better.)

3. Picks from mostly neglected eras of Nintendo history as a whole - looking at characters like Ray MKIII, Isaac, Chibi-Robo, Vince, Starfy, Maxwell, and so on. It's a weird situation where I think Ultimate kinda fell flat - not every character has to be a fan-favourite pick, you can add some more obscure characters too. Personally, I've always prefered new IPs being added as opposed to lesser known characters in IPs already present (for instance, Bandana Dee and Sylux spring to mind) but I'd never be against them - and more "obscure" characters overall, alongside some more fan favourite picks like K.Rool, Simon and Ridley, could have balanced it out a little.

4. More Ken-style Echoes. It always struck me as weird that they introduced this big new concept in Echo Fighters, but then like only released a small handful, most of whom were essentially reskins. Ken-style Echoes, whilst a little more time-consuming to develop, would bring a lot more to the table - especially with characters like perhaps Daisy and Dark Samus, or even new Echoes such as Metal Sonic and Proto Man.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
The problem is that no Zelda character is as prominent as Link, Zelda, and Ganon. The series revolves around those three, and any other character is either a recurring secondary or a one-shot main character who won't appear outside their game. It makes it hard to justify a fully new character from that series.
My problem is that people said similar things about Metroid pre-Ultimate (that the series is about isolation, and Smash reflects that by having Samus as the only playable character from the series) to justify why new Metroid characters like Ridley, Sylux, etc. shouldn't be included.

It doesn't make sense to me to arbitrarily exclude characters from a crossover game for reasons like that, especially when we've got inclusions like Wii Fit Trainer or Piranha Plant, (characters that aren't fighters or aren't important to their series) or inclusions like Ness or Captain Falcon (where their moveset had to be borrowed from other characters or completely made up in order to work). I'd understand the concern about adding a new character if it turned out that they didn't catch on (I assume that's why the Inklings weren't added until Smash Ultimate, instead of Smash 4's DLC), but characters like Midna (if Hyrule Warriors, where she got two separate movesets, is any indication) and Skull Kid have been consistently popular.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Bandana Waddle Dee: New Kirby character with decent moveset potential involving his spear and super strength that makes me smile. Also Waddle Dee slowly became one of the main supporting characters in Kirby games since kirby 64

Shantae: didnt get into the series until after Smash 4 but I've grown to love it. while playing through the seires ive seen some interesting things that can be put into smash for a moveset such as animal transforamtions, pike balls, fireballs, using her own hair as a whip etc. Then there's also the fact this indie series has had a strong connection to Nintendo since the GBC

Edit: adding 1 more character

Ganon: I love the idea of the trident wielding blue pig incarnation of the king of evil joining the roster. A chance to have a more faithful moveset stamped upon the series main villain along with the potential of another good heavy character.

Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Master Chief. We have no FPS characters and I think someone like Master Chief would be perfect because of his alien technology and regular weapons. I don't hate their inclusion, but I'd swap :ultbanjokazooie: with Master Chief in a heartbeat if possible.

Also, Shadow not getting in as an Echo feels wrong, if I had to swap him with someone else it'd be :ultdarksamus:.

My Wishes:
Master Chief: Sad that he didn't joined the Battle, he could represent FPS genre and you know that Nintendo and Microsoft have heavily tied Partnership
Kratos: OH come on, I wish he could be in Smash Game due to Sony Representative (Although, Nintendo secretly hates Sony and that's why there are no Sony reps in roster), that even would be great if He was announced over Kazuya on E3.
Retro Reps: The most important thing that Sakurai forgot is adding Retro Reps, like ExciteBiker, Mach Rider, Urban Champion, etc. Even tho, K. Rool was nearly chosen as Retro Rep due to his long absence. I feel even sad that not even there are no Signs or Retro reps existing in SSBU roster (Even Sakurai forgot about Mii Costumes based on Mach Rider).

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
This might be controversial, but Captain N. He isn’t a video game character, but comes from the NES games crossover cartoon Captain N, with the N standing for Nintendo of course. He is owned by Nintendo as well, so he would work. Plus him reuniting with Nintendo characters in another crossover would feel right.

I also wanted Ashley from Warioware. I feel like she should have been in since there was a huge amount of foreshadowing in Badge Arcade for her having something big in her near future. Plus, I can just imagine her having different costumes, as a reference to Badge Arcade. Imagine her dressed as Majora’s Mask Link, using the Kokiri Sword (MM design of course) as her magic rod, and just for the heck of it, whenever she pulls out her broom, it is one of Twinrova’s elemental brooms. Of course, she’d have to have Majora’s Mask on the side of her head.

Dante should have been in instead of Bayonetta in Smash 4, and thus this game as well. He literally is the source for that type of game. But I can guarantee the reason he didn’t get in is because Bayo is in. The guy who made Dante (when he worked for Capcom) left on very bad terms with Capcom, to the point of practically infringing on the copyright by making a carbon copy in Bayonetta when he went to work for Sega. I guarantee he threw a hissy fit saying if Bayonetta was in, Dante couldn’t be, and I will forever be salty about this.

Finally, I really want Lip from Panel De Pon (Puzzle League). Even Sakurai went on record saying he wanted to put her in, but felt she was too obscure a character, especially since Nintendo of America dropped the ball hard and removed all traces of her from the Puzzle League franchise by making them be games of more well known franchises like Mario or Pokémon.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
A true retro rep - Simon does fill that spot but he’s 3rd party and I’d have preferred a 1st party

Mach Rider
Mike Jones
Takamaru
F-Type (saw someone else mention him - good stuff)
Tin Star
The Amazon or Great Puma

An Advance Wars rep - Andy and/or Sami would’ve been cool.

Wonder Red - just a big personal favorite

Captain Syrup and Medusa would’ve made for cool fighters too

Last edited:

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Roxas. I just like him more than Sora. Also because 2 key blades is sick af

UserKev

Smash Champion
I forgot to list Knuckles and Decidueye. Knuckles would absolutely fill a void in my chest and for Decidueye, i'd be happy for a lot of people if he got in.

Quillion

Smash Hero
My problem is that people said similar things about Metroid pre-Ultimate (that the series is about isolation, and Smash reflects that by having Samus as the only playable character from the series) to justify why new Metroid characters like Ridley, Sylux, etc. shouldn't be included.

It doesn't make sense to me to arbitrarily exclude characters from a crossover game for reasons like that, especially when we've got inclusions like Wii Fit Trainer or Piranha Plant, (characters that aren't fighters or aren't important to their series) or inclusions like Ness or Captain Falcon (where their moveset had to be borrowed from other characters or completely made up in order to work). I'd understand the concern about adding a new character if it turned out that they didn't catch on (I assume that's why the Inklings weren't added until Smash Ultimate, instead of Smash 4's DLC), but characters like Midna (if Hyrule Warriors, where she got two separate movesets, is any indication) and Skull Kid have been consistently popular.
Thing is, different franchises have to be treated differently in Smash. If Kirby were treated like Pokémon, the franchise would get Magolor, Taranza, and Susie in as playable, and no one wants that. On the other hand, no one would want Kirby to be treated like ARMS and have only Meta Knight playable with no Kirby in sight.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
If we got Decidueye over Incineroar I would genuinely be completely content with the roster. I'm actually quite content with it as is, but that's the only major gripe I have with it.

Other than that, Phoenix Wright, Isaac, and Geno would be pretty bangin. Also Dixie, it's weird that she isn't in yet.
If Kirby were treated like Pokémon, the franchise would get Magolor, Taranza, and Susie in as playable, and no one wants that.
Speak for yourself - I and many others would love to play as Susie. Hell, throw in all the Dream Friends from Star Allies.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Thing is, different franchises have to be treated differently in Smash. If Kirby were treated like Pokémon, the franchise would get Magolor, Taranza, and Susie in as playable, and no one wants that. On the other hand, no one would want Kirby to be treated like ARMS and have only Meta Knight playable with no Kirby in sight.
Dude, I don't give a **** about Kirby, if anything it's a series I actively dislike, but words cannot describe how cool I think Adeleine in Smash would be.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is sad how Crash Bandicoot didn't make the cut, but considering how infamous Activision has been with its practices (including lying about CTR: Nitro-Fueled not having microtransactions), it probably just wasn't meant to be.

Reksew_Trebla

Smash Cadet
Say Sora was CP5 and CP11 was someone else. Who would you want for CP11 in that case? For me, it would be Dr. Eggman.
The only characters that could fill that role outside of Sora would be Smash original, such as Master Hand (with Crazy Hand alt), Master Core, Tabuu, or maybe Giga Bowser.

Anyone else is just not even close to being as important as the most requested character of them all.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It is sad how Crash Bandicoot didn't make the cut, but considering how infamous Activision has been with its practices (including lying about CTR: Nitro-Fueled not having microtransactions), it probably just wasn't meant to be.
Times like these are when I wish Traveller's Tales owned Crash (and Spyro, too) instead of Activision.

Thanos6

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thanos6
Mike Jones - I love StarTropics and wish it had representation
Ryu Hayabusa - The last of the NES All-Stars
Geno - Because I enjoy his game and he has a lot of fans
Ganon - Much prefer his pig self to Ganondorf
Terra Branford and/or Kefka Palazzo - Best of the FF series, represent!
Frog and/or Magus - Chrono Trigger, my favorite RPG of all-time

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
I was mostly hoping that Challenger Pack 11 was gonna be Crash. Even if it happened to be Sora as it turned out, it's still perfect the way it is.

toonito

Smash Ace
Sol Badguy, Chun-Li, Dante, Zero, Crash Bandicoot, Ryu Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine, Impa

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Geno was really the only character I was wanting in Ultimate but others I'd be thrilled for included Wonder-Red and a Team Fortress 2/ Valve character.

I was asking for another FGC character so getting Terry was really exciting so there was that to be hyped for.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Any characters you wish got in as Assist Trophies? For me:
SSBU_spirit_Guardian.png Guardian (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
  • Locks a horrifyingly strong laser onto an opponent
  • Can never flinch
  • Can be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Toadies.png Toadies (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
  • Swarm around the nearest opponent to lift them offscreen to the top
  • Cannot be K.O.'d
Adeleine.png Adeleine (Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards)
  • Sends out a load of different paintings
    • For her allies, she paints and summons Maxim Tomatoes
    • To attack enemies, she paints and summons an Ice Dragon
    • When the Ice Dragon is K.O.'d, she charges and flails her paintbrush around; she can be K.O.'d in one hit
SSBU_spirit_Susie.png Susie (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
  • Indiscriminately turns every fighter metal, then runs away laughing
  • Cannot be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Pico.png Pico (F-ZERO)
(Artwork: F-ZERO GX)
  • Snipes opponents from offscreen
  • Cannot be K.O.'d, since he is offscreen
PolarBear_copy.jpg Polar Bear (Ice Climber)
(I would've gone with his 8-bit sprite but then I wanted to find a 3D picture of him up close)
  • Slowly walks around and does nothing most of the time, but his jumps causes earthquakes that affect every fighter
  • Can be K.O.'d
    • Like in Smash Run, he's weak to fire attacks
SSBU_spirit_Pegasus_Sisters.png Pegasus Sisters (Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light)
(Artwork: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia)
  • Circle around the opponent and perform a Triangle Attack
    • After each one gets a turn, they all finish by attack the opponent all at once
  • Cannot be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Eggplant_Wizard.png Eggplant Wizard (Kid Icarus)
(Artwork: Kid Icarus: Uprising)
  • Throws eggplants that temporarily transform opponents into eggplants with legs
  • Can be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Kat_&_Ana.png Kat and Ana (WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$!)
(Artwork: WarioWare Gold)
  • Reprise their roles from the previous games
  • Cannot be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Captain_Syrup.png Captain Syrup (Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land)
(Artwork: Wario Land: Shake It!)
  • Steals an item and brings it to the summoner
  • Can be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Raiden.png Raiden (Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty)
(Artwork: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance)
  • Fights similar to his appearance in MGR: Reveangeance
  • Can be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Bulborb.png Bulborb (Pikmin)
(Artwork: Pikmin 3)
  • Walks around and eats opponents, swallowing any above 100%
  • Can be K.O.'d
SSBU_spirit_Wii_Balance_Board.png Wii Balance Board (Wii Fit)
(Artwork: Wii Fit U)
  • Causes earthquakes and makes the floor slippery
  • Cannot be K.O.'d
300px-SSBU_spirit_Bald_Bull.png Bald Bull (Punch-Out!! (arcade))
(Artwork: Punch-Out!! (Wii))
  • Fights similar to his original appearance
  • Finishes his signature move, Bull Rush
  • Can be K.O.'d but be warned; he recovers from fliching in a second
SSBU_spirit_Tifa.png Tifa Lockhart (FINAL FANTASY VII)
  • Unleashes her Limit Breaks in order
    • Beat Rush
    • Somersault
    • Waterkick
    • Meteodrive
    • Dolphin Blow
    • Meteor Strike
    • Final Heaven
  • Can be K.O.'d
    • She'll use her next Limit Break regardless if she's attacked or not
OIP.jpg Magician Type-0 (The House of the Dead)
  • Mimic his boss pattern from his game of origin
  • Can be K.O.'d
    • He can only take damage in his exposed parts, which are tricky to hit
Red Arremer.png Red Arremer (Ghosts 'n Goblins)
  • Flies around out of opponents' reach and alternates between two attacks
    • Shoots fireballs from above
    • Dive bombs toward the ground
  • Can be K.O.'d
Solaire of Astora.png Solaire of Astora (DARK SOULS)
  • Walks around and throws lightning spears at opponents
  • Can be K.O.'d
Neku_Sakuraba.png Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You)
  • Makes noise with the Pyrokinesis, Ice Riser and Blink Step / First Gear pins
  • Can be K.O.'d
  • Uniquely, he'd be cel-shaded after the art style of TWEWY

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Geno and Waluigi, because they're probably the two biggest fan favorites who didn't make it.

Dixie Kong, because imo the DK cast feels incomplete without her.

Eggman, because the villains feel incomplete without him.

I honestly lowkey wish we got a Gen 8 pokemon in DLC. Not one of the starters, but someone cool like Toxtricity or Zacian. It's gonna feel super weird in the next game when we get a Gen 8 pokemon years and years after Sword and Shield dropped.
I know I'm over a month late replying to this, but why would the next Smash game have a gen 8 Pokemon and not whichever gen we'll be on when the next Smash is coming out? Sure, it sucks a bit that gen 8 is in all likelihood being skipped, but we also skipped gens 3 and 5, so the precedent is there.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Personally, I would love to have seen some more characters from "series" we already had. Having "smaller" characters like Bass from Mega Man, Pico from F-Zero, Blinky from Pac-Man and so forth would have been really cool alongside the bigger picks - hence why a part of me also really wanted us to see a retro pick. My own choice would be Excitebike Racer, but Mach Rider has a ton of potential too.

It seems weird to me in hindsight that Ultimate had so few first-party characters coming in. ARMS, as mentioned all over SmashBoards, would have been a great pick for base roster - and even characters like Kamek would have been cool to see.

Even so, I'm pleased with who we did get (even aside from DLC.) Characters like Simon, K.Rool and Ridley were obvious picks and I'm really glad they made it in - and picks like Incineroar, Isabelle and Inkling seemed like obvious additions, as well as echoes like Ken and Chrom (though, I wish Daisy had been based more on the various Mario Sports spinoffs, and that Dark Samus had more to differentiate it from Samus given the sheer amount of source material to work with.)

I personally think DLC was good across the board, even if I wasn't personally a fan of each pick, I just feel that base roster could have had the potential to be so much more - even if only keeping to 1st party series, or at least 3rd party series that would be easy to negotiate the rights to due to already being in.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Mike Jones - would make Startropics 3 more likely. I would like that.

Impa or another Zelda character - I like the Zelda series a lot and would have liked more non-Link zelda characters.

Sakurai to just fully double down and throw in more Kid Icarus Uprising characters - Would make a sequel/port of that game more likely and I'd like that too.

Top Bottom